Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
US news just had an article you all might like, if only because of the title:

"Hopslam: How Big Beer Is Trying to Stop a Craft Beer Revolution"
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/02/08/hopslam-how-big-beer-is-trying-to-stop-a-craft-beer-revolution

The article mentions how craft breweries are losing ground because big beer churns out phoney "false flag" crafts like Blue Moon and Bottle Shock, but that's only effective because most folks can't tell the difference in the store. And only some stores are nice enough to separate the craft beer from the crap beer.

Since some of you have access to the Brewers Association member forum, can you answer this for me: Why is there not a brightly-colored logo with the visibility of that crappy "As Seen On TV" sticker on the front of every Brewers Association 6-pack, bomber and tap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah my friends suffer from buying the big beer stuff by accident. I tell them to just check out beer advocates rating on beers before buying but I guess they feel awkward looking at their phones while buying beer.

Seems like Two Hearted has dropped in price around here from $10/6 pack to $8/6 pack which I'm pretty happy about. Just picked up some Sierra Nevada 2013 Ruthless Rye IPA which isn't terrible but nothing that exciting either. Nothing really stands out, but it is easy to drink and under $8/6 pack so can't complain too much.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Is New Holland Blue Sunday worth getting at $15.50 a bottle? I love sours and I've never had access to this one before.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

WaffleStomp posted:

Is New Holland Blue Sunday worth getting at $15.50 a bottle? I love sours and I've never had access to this one before.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 750. It's probably worth a shot if you enjoy the style, but I wasn't all that impressed with it when I had it on draft recently. My girlfriend really enjoyed it, though. I just feel like there's better sours available year-round, but that might just be my market.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 12, 2013

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Yesterday, at the grocery store.. fairly limited selection, good stuff, but nothing special, so I grabbed 2 bombers of stuff I've had before, and liked well enough. Stone Sublimely Righteous, and Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Got home, cracked open the SSR, and just wasn't quite feeling it. Good, but not quite what I was looking for at the moment. Hrmm. So I opened up the stout, enjoyed a sip off of it, and decided I'd try what someone in this thread mentioned.. I'd mix em up.

I tried a few different variations, but 1:1 really was the money spot for this. It had that really nice dark coffee complexity, but then just enough hoppy finish at the end to balance it all out. It was so smooth and delicious, I think I want to do it again. Even my wife, and sister in law, both of whom don't really like any beer at all, really liked it.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I've somehow had a blind spot in my beer drinking history for wee heavies/Scottish ales. Is Alesmith's wee heavy indicative of the style or an outlier? This tastes like a BSDA, dubbel, and barleywine had sex. Was expecting something much smokier and peaty than this. Not complaining, it's delicious, but still...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

I've somehow had a blind spot in my beer drinking history for wee heavies/Scottish ales. Is Alesmith's wee heavy indicative of the style or an outlier? This tastes like a BSDA, dubbel, and barleywine had sex. Was expecting something much smokier and peaty than this. Not complaining, it's delicious, but still...

Some are peaty/smokey. Others kind of meet your description: malty and sweet with only a little of the scotch flavors. I'm not a big fan but do enjoy a Scotty Karate every once in a while.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

WaffleStomp posted:

I've had it and wouldn't get it again. It's good for a sour, but at the $15 price point, I'm much more interested in other things.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Tonight I went to Ogrefest up at The Brew Kettle, and got the chance to try Bell's Black Note. I have to say, it's probably the best BBA Stout I've ever had... although I've yet to try GI:BCBS.

I also got the chance to try 2010 BBA Jackhammer Barleywine by The Brew Kettle, and it really blew me away. I don't understand why they don't make this, or the base beer available in bottles, but I'm assuming it has to do with the cost of producing it. It tasted like a piece of caramel vanilla candy, and had no sign of alcohol despite being 11%. It was truly unbelievable, and I'm glad to have had the chance to experience it.

Edit: Oh yeah, a kinda funny story. I showed up at The Brew Kettle after driving about 40 minutes, and they erased Black Note off the chalkboard right as I sat down. I was pretty bummed... but then about 20 minutes later they wrote it back down again, apparently they had two kegs of it! The only thing I missed out on that I wish I could have tried was 2010 BBA Double Bastard.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 12, 2013

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

danbanana posted:

bourbon barrel IPA/DIPA

A what now? Founders can pretty much do no wrong, but I still don't understand.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nuncle jimbo posted:

A what now? Founders can pretty much do no wrong, but I still don't understand.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

A bourbon barrel aged india pale ale or a bourbon barrel aged double india pale ale, which is what Doom is (Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels).

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Cointelprofessional posted:

I've had it and wouldn't get it again. It's good for a sour, but at the $15 price point, I'm much more interested in other things.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'll pass on picking up a bottle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

wattershed posted:

i actually prefer that they have a bit of smoke/peat to them to take the edge off the sweetness, but, yeah, the flavor profile is not too dissimilar to barleywines and old ales.

and speaking of weeknight drinking, feeling a little fuzzy from a bottle share last night. personal highlights were the goon-provided Odell Meddler that i brought, which reminded me a bit of Cascade's Sang Noir in both flavor and lightness of body (compared to Belgian examples of the style), and very fresh Green Flash Silva Stout, which was delicious, but would probably be better after a few months to take the edge off the boozy heat. if any of you west coast goons have some...

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

i actually prefer that they have a bit of smoke/peat to them to take the edge off the sweetness, but, yeah, the flavor profile is not too dissimilar to barleywines and old ales.

and speaking of weeknight drinking, feeling a little fuzzy from a bottle share last night. personal highlights were the goon-provided Odell Meddler that i brought, which reminded me a bit of Cascade's Sang Noir in both flavor and lightness of body (compared to Belgian examples of the style), and very fresh Green Flash Silva Stout, which was delicious, but would probably be better after a few months to take the edge off the boozy heat. if any of you west coast goons have some...

I'll have to bounce around in the style now and see what else I might like there. I always assumed they were more akin to heavy Irish reds with a blast of liquid smoke flavoring, something which doesn't exactly sound appealing. Now I'm mad I passed up Alesmith's barrel-aged Wee Heavy sale.

As for more Green Flash Silva Stout, I can't even seem to find loving Palate Wrecker around here all of a sudden, let alone the stuff they make that's legitimately difficult to find.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wattershed posted:

I'll have to bounce around in the style now and see what else I might like there. I always assumed they were more akin to heavy Irish reds with a blast of liquid smoke flavoring, something which doesn't exactly sound appealing. Now I'm mad I passed up Alesmith's barrel-aged Wee Heavy sale.

If anything they're more like a barleywine without the hop balance, plus a touch of roasted malt. They're actually supposed to have no-to-very-low amounts of smoke, although like any style you can find examples all over the place. Since I know you're a brewgoon, look at the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles sometime. Jamil has kind of a funny rant about how he hates that everyone assumes scotch ales should taste like scotch and you're loving it up if you include peat malt.

Old Chub from Oskar Blues is super easy to find if you want to try another.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Scotch Ales have nothing to do with Scotch whiskey. Just to further cement that point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

As for more Green Flash Silva Stout, I can't even seem to find loving Palate Wrecker around here all of a sudden, let alone the stuff they make that's legitimately difficult to find.

Must be a regional thing. Palate Wrecker is all over the loving place. The only issue for me is that its hard to find the 12 oz. bottles instead of the 22s.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Docjowles posted:

Old Chub from Oskar Blues is super easy to find if you want to try another.

Yeah, Old Chub is ubiquitous, delicious and boozy. Love it.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Just want to say thanks to this thread for totally changing how I drink/think about beer. Used to be it was all Bud Light or Yuengling for me because I was cheap and poor, and then after college I just never changed. Although I did realize eventually I really liked some IPA's, particularly Dogfish Head ones.

Unfortunately I just moved to Indy and my first trip to the store was told DFH doesn't distribute here anymore. But there was a lone four-pack of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout with a little "#1 seller" sticker on it so I figured what the hell and bought it so I didn't go home empty-handed. Turns out it's about the best beer I've ever had in my life.

Now I'm going back through every page trying to make a list of things to try that's not going to totally overwhelm me when I walk into a store. I've tried a couple other well-regarded but easily found ones like Founders Breakfast Stout which I loved. Turns out I love stouts or anything with hints of chocolate or coffee, etc. Would never have known if I hadn't just taken a chance and picked up some stuff I'd seen recommended here.

Anyway unfortunately I don't have anything to contribute. But are there any good places around Indy? It appears the Midwest is full of great breweries so there's gotta be some nice places to pick up some of this stuff. So far I've only been to Kahn's on the northside, which does seem to have a pretty good selection based on my totally uneducated assessment.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

warheadr posted:

Just want to say thanks to this thread for totally changing how I drink/think about beer. Used to be it was all Bud Light or Yuengling for me because I was cheap and poor, and then after college I just never changed. Although I did realize eventually I really liked some IPA's, particularly Dogfish Head ones.

Unfortunately I just moved to Indy and my first trip to the store was told DFH doesn't distribute here anymore. But there was a lone four-pack of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout with a little "#1 seller" sticker on it so I figured what the hell and bought it so I didn't go home empty-handed. Turns out it's about the best beer I've ever had in my life.

Now I'm going back through every page trying to make a list of things to try that's not going to totally overwhelm me when I walk into a store. I've tried a couple other well-regarded but easily found ones like Founders Breakfast Stout which I loved. Turns out I love stouts or anything with hints of chocolate or coffee, etc. Would never have known if I hadn't just taken a chance and picked up some stuff I'd seen recommended here.

Anyway unfortunately I don't have anything to contribute. But are there any good places around Indy? It appears the Midwest is full of great breweries so there's gotta be some nice places to pick up some of this stuff. So far I've only been to Kahn's on the northside, which does seem to have a pretty good selection based on my totally uneducated assessment.

http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

A good resource as to what is available by state. I'm pretty sure there's a couple Indiana goons here who might be able to help out with shop recommendations.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's a fest in Bloomington on the 13th of April that has gotten good reviews from friends in the past. Very laid back compared to some of the bigger events in the midwest (FOBAB, Dark Lord, Foundersfest, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to make it this year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And speaking of IN... Upland just announced Gilgamesh and the lambic releases. I've been sitting on Gilgamesh for a while, waiting for a good time to pop it open. It sounds like a dream beer to me...

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

danbanana posted:

A bourbon barrel aged india pale ale or a bourbon barrel aged double india pale ale, which is what Doom is (Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels).

I'd just like to confirm that both (Hand of) Doom and it's brandy barrel counterpart Looking Glass are Really loving Good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Whisker Biscuit posted:

I'd just like to confirm that both (Hand of) Doom and it's brandy barrel counterpart Looking Glass are Really loving Good.

And for anyone that doesn't get why the brandy barrel aged one is called Looking Glass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tRXewCAmU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Just started a little experiment. I opened a bottle of 2012 BCBS, dropped in a vanilla bean, and recapped it. Wonder how it's going to turn out. I'm guessing it will be overpowering, but I do love vanilla so who knows.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Must be a regional thing. Palate Wrecker is all over the loving place. The only issue for me is that its hard to find the 12 oz. bottles instead of the 22s.

Gonna check two places tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll just go to the brewery. I wasn't expecting it to turn into a hunt. Between my Bad Boy growlers and my homebrew I'm probably best served not immediately finding a four-pack for a few more days.

As for Scotch Ales, I guess I'll check out Old Chub next. I'm batting 50% with Oskar Blues so I'll let this one break the tie.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Just started a little experiment. I opened a bottle of 2012 BCBS, dropped in a vanilla bean, and recapped it. Wonder how it's going to turn out. I'm guessing it will be overpowering, but I do love vanilla so who knows.

I think I remember reading over at BA that you can crack open a vanilla bean, scrape the good stuff out, and put it in a glass of BCBS with a mesh filter for just a few minutes and it's equally as good as BCS Vanilla. I really need to pick up some vanilla beans.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Local hole in the wall just randomly announced they have BCBS Coffee on tap today :stare: Just when I was planning to kick weeknight drinking...

Made it over today and surprisingly it is still on tap. This may be one of the greatest things I've ever consumed. Why must BCBS (any variety) be impossible to come by in CO :cry:

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Anything I should be on the lockout for around Houston? I'm staying in the woodlands and might have a chance to hit a store and fly back with a few bottles. I'm aware of St. Arnold's and Jester King, anything else?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

What It Dooski posted:

Anything I should be on the lockout for around Houston? I'm staying in the woodlands and might have a chance to hit a store and fly back with a few bottles. I'm aware of St. Arnold's and Jester King, anything else?

You might actually find some good stuff at the Spec's around there (Louetta/45 and one off Rayford) and I think there's a Central Market up there. Not much out there as far as bars unfortunately and majority of the good craft is happening within the 610 loop.

As far as what to buy: Victory at Sea might still be around. Locals: Karbach (I like Weiss Versa and Rodeo Clown), Southern Star Buried Hatchet, Independence Stash IPA, Jester King Funk Metal, Das Uberkind, maybe Boxer's Revenge if it is there. SN Barrel Aged Bigfoot is supposed to hit stores this week too.

And on a side note, make sure to go eat at Hubbell and Hudson. Place kicks rear end.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just had my third ever Duck Rabbit beer and wouldn't you know it, it's infected! It's impressive really, a perfect 3/3.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

air- posted:

You might actually find some good stuff at the Spec's around there (Louetta/45 and one off Rayford) and I think there's a Central Market up there. Not much out there as far as bars unfortunately and majority of the good craft is happening within the 610 loop.

As far as what to buy: Victory at Sea might still be around. Locals: Karbach (I like Weiss Versa and Rodeo Clown), Southern Star Buried Hatchet, Independence Stash IPA, Jester King Funk Metal, Das Uberkind, maybe Boxer's Revenge if it is there. SN Barrel Aged Bigfoot is supposed to hit stores this week too.

And on a side note, make sure to go eat at Hubbell and Hudson. Place kicks rear end.

Yeah, I'm literally working in the same building as Hubbel and Hudson so that's the one store ill have a chance to go to.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

warheadr posted:

Crown Liquors on W. Carmel Dr/Meridian has an awesome beer selection. For bars, 20 Tap has a great selection and food but their tap lines could use a good cleaning. Triton is cool, the Beer Sellar was awesome before it closed :( Also, if you're on the northside, check out the College Park Rock Bottom. Liz Laughlin is an awesome brewer, just avoid the standard RB crap and get the specials.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

wattershed posted:

Gonna check two places tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll just go to the brewery. I wasn't expecting it to turn into a hunt. Between my Bad Boy growlers and my homebrew I'm probably best served not immediately finding a four-pack for a few more days.

Pretty sure I picked up a 4 pack of Palate Wrecker at Fiori's on Washington St when I was in San Diego last summer. Although that was like 6 months ago, it might be worth a shot unless you've already checked or the brewery is easier to get to

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Pretty sure I picked up a 4 pack of Palate Wrecker at Fiori's on Washington St when I was in San Diego last summer. Although that was like 6 months ago, it might be worth a shot unless you've already checked or the brewery is easier to get to

Right on, yeah, downtown's much more out of my way either when I'm at work or at home, but I haven't heard of that shop before so I'll add it to the list of places to pop in to eventually.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
It may turn out to be disappointing like their "winter saison", but 21st Amendment is releasing a barleywine in 8 ounce cans in the next couple of months. This seems pretty cool. That's like a Red Bull can, right?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I was hoping they'd be 8oz. That's basically the perfect serving size for a barleywine, for me.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
I'm going to be in Champaign / Urbana IL this weekend for a wedding and am hoping to pick up some of the many beers I can't get in South Dakota. Are there any local beers that I should look for other than 2 Brothers and 3 Floyds?

It looks like Friar Tucks is the best place for buying beer in the area.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Raveen posted:

I'm going to be in Champaign / Urbana IL this weekend for a wedding and am hoping to pick up some of the many beers I can't get in South Dakota. Are there any local beers that I should look for other than 2 Brothers and 3 Floyds?

Unless they've changed the distribution dramatically in the last year, you're not going to be able to get 3 Floyds in the Chambana area given that the local beer distributor made FFF angry and they pulled all their beers from the area. On the brighter side, Bells is distributed there. Also, they opened a Binny's in Champaign last year so that would also be worth looking at.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Raveen posted:

I think Champaign can also get some stuff we can't get in Chicago. Alesmith and Ballast Point come to mind, but not sure if they distribute in SD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Alesmith and Ballast Point come to mind

Yeah, this is stuff not distributed in "Chicago" but hits most of the rest of Illinois.

The Pickadilly on Neil (just north of Green and just south of downtown Champaign) is where I first discovered craft beer. I haven't been to the shop in nearly a decade, so I can't vouch for it's selection any more. But unless things have changed, everything can be bought per bottle so mixed sixers all around!

Ahhh, the days where I had to somehow justify to my poor college self that $2 a bottle for Two Brothers Northwind (my favorite beer at the time) was worth it... I kind of miss that.