Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loving lost it at the Platoon one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

beanieson posted:

Olly Moss Oscar poster

I'd love a cast list of sorts for this, so I could match all of it, but instead I'll just settle for asking what 2001 is supposed to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I'd love a cast list of sorts for this, so I could match all of it, but instead I'll just settle for asking what 2001 is supposed to be.

Those are all the Best Picture wins so that should be A Beautiful Mind. Not sure why its empty though.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

beanieson posted:

Olly Moss Oscar poster

I love the one for A Beautiful Mind.

Max22 posted:

Hah, the one for Crash is just "a black guy"

Yeah, I thought that was a bit weird.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

muscles like this? posted:

Those are all the Best Picture wins so that should be A Beautiful Mind. Not sure why its empty though.

Because so many of the people in the film are imaginary/not real.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I assume because he imagined a lot of stuff in the story, and so it wasn't really there, and so...

Edit for spoilers

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 12, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Because John Nash interacted for years with people who weren't real. I have to admit that for a brief moment I thought Hollow Man had won a loving best picture Oscar.

E: Bloimey, beaten.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I figured it out after a second. Its been forever since I've seen that movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Max22 posted:

Hah, the one for Crash is just "a black guy"

I wonder why Gladiator's is missing?

nvm, confusing that year with A Beautiful Mind.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Young Freud posted:

I wonder why Gladiator's is missing?

nvm, confusing that year with A Beautiful Mind.

It's not?

Lol, nice ninja edit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wish it was bigger so I can see the dates better.
Nevermind I can see it better, anyone got a list of all the movies?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I wish it was bigger so I can see the dates better.
Nevermind I can see it better, anyone got a list of all the movies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
As much as I disliked the film, I have to admit that the 2009 Astro Boy movie had some pretty good posters:

And some not so good ones:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I had to look up the trailer for "Would You Rather" after that poster... it's ok. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5XICr93wU Not great by any means, but certainly looks watchable.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Snowy posted:

That reminds me of this image from Opera that really freaked me out as a kid:

:cry: Oh,god, I remember this.I was always welcomed by the poster and the betamax cover whenever I entered the video rental store. And I could never stop staring.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My go-to VHS box that I would always run to and stare at when we went to the video store was this cover for Demons:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
They've got the individual closeups for each year of the Oscar poster as a quiz sort of thing here.

http://oscar.go.com/photos/themed-galleries/special/oscars-best-pictures-tribute/media/85poster

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My go-to VHS box that I would always run to and stare at when we went to the video store was this cover for Demons:

Awesome. That would've really freaked me out when I was a kid.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That is one of my favorite taglines of all time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Red_Museum posted:

They've got the individual closeups for each year of the Oscar poster as a quiz sort of thing here.

http://oscar.go.com/photos/themed-galleries/special/oscars-best-pictures-tribute/media/85poster

Oh, man, The Departed statue is priceless now that I can see it up close.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I gave him him the ol' hairy eyeball.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wow, I wonder who said that quote!

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Red_Museum posted:

Wow it's easy to forget how many poo poo movies won Best Picture until you've seen them all in a lineup.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pookerbug posted:

Wow it's easy to forget how many poo poo movies won Best Picture until you've seen them all in a lineup.

No poo poo, but that's the Oscars. Oliver instead of 2001 and Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan are the pretty egregious ones.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Look at the year Chicago won Best Picture and tell me that's not complete and utter horse poo poo.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Young Freud posted:

No poo poo, but that's the Oscars. Oliver instead of 2001 and Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan are the pretty egregious ones.

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas, man. That's the most flabbergasting for me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Can't forget Crash over Brokeback Mountain or Capote. I think Memento got snubbed while A Beautiful Mind won as well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
haha Ricky is in Would You Rather. I didn't know he ever made it out of Trailer Park Boys

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

As much as I appreciate what Kubrick tried to do with it, it's just not an accessible film.

DetoxP posted:

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas, man. That's the most flabbergasting for me.

This ones more inexplicable, I take comfort that when the remake was nominated it had no chance of winning.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 12, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hasters posted:

As much as I appreciate what Kubrick tried to do with it, it's just not an accessible film.

No kidding.

quote:

The apes, no sensible reason for apes in this film. I doubt we were evolved from apes, but if we had been we wouldn’t have made this movie! We would be eating bananas.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gladiator over Crouching Tiger is the one that killed me.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

bows1 posted:

haha Ricky is in Would You Rather. I didn't know he ever made it out of Trailer Park Boys

He has a cameo at the beginning of Hobo With A Shotgun, too!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

For me, it was The King's Speech over The Social Network. Or even half the movies in Best Picture contention that year (Black Swan, 127 Hours, True Grit).

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
With the Oscars, I feel like the real question is what was the most recent Best Picture selection that didn't make you go 'really? That one?' on some level. I'd have to go all the way back to No Country for Old Men.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Rocky over Taxi Driver is one I'll personally never really be able to grasp.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slate Action posted:

With the Oscars, I feel like the real question is what was the most recent Best Picture selection that didn't make you go 'really? That one?' on some level. I'd have to go all the way back to No Country for Old Men.

Maybe The Hurt Locker? Looking at the other nominees that year, it was probably the best choice out of the bunch: there's some fun films but hard-sells for the Oscar like Inglorious Basterds and Up, critically-acclaimed but not-commercially popular movies like Precious, A Serious Man, and The Descendants, the technical marvel that's Avatar, along with pure Oscar-bait like The Blind Side and An Education.

Maybe The Artist, as well? Looking at that year, the only one that's not Oscar-bait is Hugo and maybe Moneyball and Tree of Life. We should be glad that The Help didn't win last year.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

I could very well be alone in this, but I really enjoy these posters; but then I'm also a massive Indiana Jones fan.

Edit: almost forgot the source: they're from Oktotally.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 12, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ghostpilot posted:

I could very well be alone in this, but I really enjoy these posters; but then I'm also a massive Indiana Jones fan.

The art reminds me of Kentucky Route Zero, so I'm inclined to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

Edit: almost forgot the source: they're from Oktotally.

I want to hate on this for being minimalist but I can't. The scenes are pivotal scenes from the film, so it's not some obscure shout-out like most are. And the scale of environment to Indy makes everything feel epic, which is what you should be going for in those films.

I do think whoever designed that should look into more textures, however. I can see that they used that watercolor texture in both the Raiders and Temple of Doom posters.