Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I wish Michael Ancel would quit Ubisoft and create his own studio or something. They're never going to let him make BG&E2. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PonchAxis posted:

I wish Michael Ancel would quit Ubisoft and create his own studio or something. They're never going to let him make BG&E2. :(

I thought he was already working on it as a next gen title?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'll believe it when I see a live demo of it being played at E3 or something.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

MAAAAAYYYYYBE. There was an announcement trailer, and then...silence.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Tank! Tank! Tank! is now a F2P game... in Europe.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...h+%28Develop%29

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

Tank! Tank! Tank! is now a F2P game... in Europe.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...h+%28Develop%29

If you paid in full for Tank! Tank! Tank! you could probably afford a fifth microwave in your house anyway so I doubt you'd be miffed.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

The Operative posted:

At the risk of coming off as :tinfoil:, Montpellier's protest seems like a coordinated effort on Ubisoft's part to drum up some sympathy for the development team, by philosophically divorcing Montpellier from Ubisoft's executives. Playing off the studio as a victim potentially allows for the current discussion to change from "I'm not buying the game" to "In spite of Ubisoft's executive decision making, I am buying the game to support Michel Ancel and his team."

Edit: It just seems unlikely that the studio would be so vocal about what amounts to a pretty straight forward delay.

I dunno. It seems impressively shortsighted to destroy all your goodwill for a game system's users just to guarantee the sale of a single game for it. I don't think ubisoft is dumb enough to just cash out like that in the wiiu's first year.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's probably Microsoft who made them delay the game when Ubisoft decided to make it multiplatform. Getting a multiplatform game first or the DLC exclusively is, like, all Microsoft ever has to be excited about. When E3 rolls around I'm sure we'll hear that the Xbox 360 version is getting exclusive bonus levels or something.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's probably Microsoft who made them delay the game when Ubisoft decided to make it multiplatform. Getting a multiplatform game first or the DLC exclusively is, like, all Microsoft ever has to be excited about. When E3 rolls around I'm sure we'll hear that the Xbox 360 version is getting exclusive bonus levels or something.

As I understand it, there is no evidence that Microsoft does this for retail releases.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

As I understand it, there is no evidence that Microsoft does this for retail releases.

Yeah what everyone is thinking is their XBLA process. This all Ubisoft trying to get more sales out of the game.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Spinning Robo posted:

I dunno. It seems impressively shortsighted to destroy all your goodwill for a game system's users just to guarantee the sale of a single game for it. I don't think ubisoft is dumb enough to just cash out like that in the wiiu's first year.

Do they have any other games slated for the Wii U? Come E3, we might see Ubisoft get on the same boat as EA.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Operative posted:

Do they have any other games slated for the Wii U? Come E3, we might see Ubisoft get on the same boat as EA.

I'm beginning to think that it's time for Nintendo to just say "screw it" and start buying second parties like crazy so that they're making enough games to support the system themselves.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah what everyone is thinking is their XBLA process. This all Ubisoft trying to get more sales out of the game.

Wouldn't they get more sales if they released it now for Wii U owners when there's people starving for fresh gaming and then release it for 360/PS3 only gamers later on?

Anyway, I find it strange that Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is going to get a port to 360 and PS3 because I thought Nintendo helped with it?

theflyingorc posted:

I'm beginning to think that it's time for Nintendo to just say "screw it" and start buying second parties like crazy so that they're making enough games to support the system themselves.

I was hoping Nintendo went hog wild with the THQ sale but they seem to avoid it completely. :smith:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wouldn't they get more sales if they released it now for Wii U owners when there's people starving for fresh gaming and then release it for 360/PS3 only gamers later on?

The argument against that is that when it eventually releases for the other consoles, which have much much larger install bases, it won't be the 'new' thing anymore, which will hurt sales there. Doing this, they're maximising their sales at basically no cost to them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

katkillad2 posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, although I can't confirm if it works or if it's even necessary to do to begin with. I tried it with Xenoblade and the game looked the same before and after. ( But it didn't look bad to begin with so maybe it was displaying correctly for me? )

Go back to the WiiU menu
Go to System Settings
Set it to 480p and 16:9
go back to the Wii menu
It should be fixed
Then apparently when you go back to the WiiU menu next time you can set it back to 1080p and it should convert correctly in Wii mode.
If this doesn't work I've found adjusting the sharpness setting on your TV can help with the aliasing on Wii games running on an HD screen.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CottonWolf posted:

The argument against that is that when it eventually releases for the other consoles, which have much much larger install bases, it won't be the 'new' thing anymore, which will hurt sales there. Doing this, they're maximising their sales at basically no cost to them.

I don't believe Resident Evil 4 coming out for PS2 after Gamecube and RE4 coming out for Wii after both hurt sales.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sly Pistachio posted:

Look how many AA batteries you could fit into the Wii U Game Pad's battery compartment:

If you could stick six 3000 mAh AA batteries in there you would have over 10x the battery life that Nintendo's current pitiful 1500 mAh battery provides.

I sure enjoyed the last handheld thing I owned that required six batteries. It had a great battery life of like, 30minutes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I just don't understand the complaining about the Gamepad. Why are people comparing it to a game controller? How about comparing it to a modern cell phone? If I decide to play Temple Run 2 and nothing else or run Internet data on my phone, I'm lucky if I get two hours before needing a charge. So why should I be pissed I get three on my Wii-U Gamepad?

Yes, it's a game controller. But it's a game controller with a tablet inside of it that's constantly running information back and forth with a console. This isn't mystery Wii U CPU talk here.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Oh, those were the days. :allears:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I just don't understand the complaining about the Gamepad. Why are people comparing it to a game controller? How about comparing it to a modern cell phone? If I decide to play Temple Run 2 and nothing else or run Internet data on my phone, I'm lucky if I get two hours before needing a charge. So why should I be pissed I get three on my Wii-U Gamepad?

Yes, it's a game controller. But it's a game controller with a tablet inside of it that's constantly running information back and forth with a console. This isn't mystery Wii U CPU talk here.

You can get way more battery out of an iPad playing games than a Wii U pad if you're going to compare it to tablets/phones.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The only way I could play Sword of Haija on that hunk of plastic was with a screen magnifier and a wall charger.

PonchAxis posted:

You can get way more battery out of an iPad playing games than a Wii U pad if you're going to compare it to tablets/phones.

You get about six hours on an iPad 2 playing Riptide GP. I have my doubts that it could last six hours playing Sonic All-Stars while online but maybe I'm wrong.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 12, 2013

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Speaking of battery, has anyone actually tried the Nyko drop-in replacement? I need to know it won't explode before I consider it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

PonchAxis posted:

And how much does a new iPad cost, again?

Also, how many hours can you get out of an iPad while streaming video?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The only way I could play Sword of Haija on that hunk of plastic was with a screen magnifier and a wall charger.

You get about six hours on an iPad 3 playing Riptide GP. I have my doubts that it could last six hours playing Sonic All-Stars while online but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think the gamepad cares if you're online, the only thing sapping battery will be your screen brightness, volume, distance from console, and frequency of button presses/accelerometer use. Six hours totally doable on low brightness.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Probably not in terms of sales across all platforms. It might sell more copies of the Wii U version specifically (or possibly not, since a September release gives you another 6 months to expand the console's user base to have more Wii U users to sell to and the increased awareness of new games coming out in September). But if the game comes out now on Wii U, the general reaction to the 360/PS3 versions in September will be "Didn't Rayman Legends come out six months ago? Here's a new Wii U copy being sold for $20. So why is this $60?", and then they put it down and walk away.

If you think the Wii U sales alone are enough to keep the game afloat, then having late 360/PS3 ports that don't sell as well isn't a big deal. The game is profitable, Nintendo is happy to have a timed exclusive that draws people to the Wii U platform, and that can, in turn, create more Wii U owners to whom Ubisoft can sell games. The late ports still sell enough to cover port costs and get that game to every platform.

If, however, your expectation of your Wii U sales are lowered and you think the game can't stay afloat on just sales on that platform, you start looking for ways to increase sales. The obvious method is that you position it to sell better on 360/PS3 by giving it a simultaneous release, freeing the 360/PS3 ports from being labeled as a half-a-year-old game from the start.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 12, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thefncrow posted:

If, however, your expectation of your Wii U sales are lowered and you think the game can't stay afloat on just sales on that platform, you start looking for ways to increase sales. The obvious method is that you position it to sell better on 360/PS3 by giving it a simultaneous release, freeing the 360/PS3 ports from being labeled as a half-a-year-old game from the start.

Of course this doesn't take into account that no matter what, it is a half year old game that they simply delayed on releasing. People are not stupid about these things. Everyone knows the game you're getting for 360/PS3 is not new.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Of course this doesn't take into account that no matter what, it is a half year old game that they simply delayed on releasing. People are not stupid about these things. Everyone knows the game you're getting for 360/PS3 is not new.

I think you're vastly overestimating how much the average person pays attention to game industry news.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't believe Resident Evil 4 coming out for PS2 after Gamecube and RE4 coming out for Wii after both hurt sales.

Neither of us know for sure, but I would be willing to put money on the idea that if it had come out for both at once it would have sold more.

e: By both at once, I mean GC and PS2 simultaneously.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Crowbear posted:

I think you're vastly overestimating how much the average person pays attention to game industry news.

The average person is not likely to buy Rayman in the first place

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Rayman Origins didn't sell until it was $20 new so why Ubisoft thinks there is a demand for a full priced sequel on any system in particular is beyond me. You'd think the fact that ZombiU is selling and they're had a bunch of very well selling launch games on the Wii (Rabbids, Red Steel, ect) due to a real lack of software would key them into something but I'm not a high paid marketing executive so what do I really know. So now instead of paying $60 in a few weeks for a game I am semi-interested now I'll maybe buy the game in six months but probably will wait until Black Friday when it's going to be supercheap like every other Ubisoft game they've released in the past decade.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if EA was spooked by poor Mass Effect 3 sales. If so what did they expect, simultaneously releasing the entire trilogy for the same price on the other consoles with the whole point of ME3 being you've played the previous entries and copy over your data.

I think the major thing is all these companies are losing money and need to blame it on someone. Of course blaming it on Nintendo would be harder if Nintendo didn't have a terrible marketing campaign and grossly overestimate product demand.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 12, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bland posted:

The average person is not likely to buy Rayman in the first place

I dunno. People who frequent Games or Neogaf are a pretty small minority of the general gaming populace. I'm pretty much the only person in my group of friends that can actually name the developer for one of the games they own, let alone knows anything about the behind the scenes stuff that happens.

Also, while Origins was a slow seller at first, it was universally praised and had good word of mouth, so I imagine Ubisoft thinks the interest in the sequel is much higher than for the original.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm also really curious to see how the next Microsoft and Sony systems sell because there are a lot of people out there who are not going to upgrade right away, if at all and I really wonder how the industry is going to react when the 360 still outsells the (n)Xbox this holiday.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is some twisted thinking. Can you play the full game during those 6 months until the release?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Most people don't follow this news that closely. They're not going to be aware it's a game that sat on a shelf for half a year. The only real way they'd know is if there was an actual marketed game release of the Wii U version a half year before the 360/PS3 versions.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You'd think the fact that ZombiU is selling

Is it? The Rayman news would be a much better indicator to me that Ubisoft doesn't like the ZombiU numbers. Something certainly scared them away from giving Rayman any time as a Wii U-only title, and I would suspect that the sales of their big Wii U-only release from launch is likely a strong comparison point.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 12, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

That's fair, but I also believe people (especially Ubisoft) are vastly overestimating the importance of Rayman. It's a game series that was pretty much shelved for much more successful alien rabbits. It picked up a little steam due to Origins but otherwise we're not talking about a title that's going to generate that much more money being delayed. If anything, it'll get forgotten.

EDIT: Isn't ZombiU the third best selling game on the Wii U or was I reading bad numbers?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe third best selling is bad numbers. I don't know though. It certainly wasn't helped by a few really unfair reviews, it's a great game.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
What is the typical amount of time it takes to go from "let's port this game" to "done" usually? Obviously it can depend on the game, but is seven months really needed to... do whatever is required? What usually is required?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly, I don't even know what games are coming out for Wii U at this point from anyone. There's going to be a new Mario and Windwaker HD, and Monster Hunter's nearly here, with a Monolith game on the horizon, which we knew about even before the last Nintendo Direct.. but I mean, literally, I don't know what third-party publishers care about this system. What is to get excited about for the near and distant future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly, I don't even know what games are coming out for Wii U at this point from anyone. There's going to be a new Mario and Windwaker HD, and Monster Hunter's nearly here, with a Monolith game on the horizon, which we knew about even before the last Nintendo Direct.. but I mean, literally, I don't know what third-party publishers care about this system. What is to get excited about for the near and distant future?

We have an E3 coming up soon.

• Locked thread