Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

Then I would imagine boxing is next on the block since that was judged awfully.

Wouldn't surprise me, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Isn't boxing the most corrupt Olympic sport?

Pretty much anything that relies on judging is corrupt as hell.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

DekeThornton posted:

Not to play devils advocate, but isn't it possible that wrestling is being threatend with being thrown out because it has become too tarred as corrupt even by IOC standards and it could be allowed back if it cleans up it's act and strange rulesets?

Figure skating's corruption is legendary and no one will ever lay a finger on it

e: I am really paranoid about the future of combat sports in the Olympics. TKD is apparently protected from on high and wushu would be free medals for the PRC, but boxing and judo must be looking attractive to people who want to make room for squash and rugby

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Figure skating's corruption is legendary and no one will ever lay a finger on it

They'll lay a baton on it though. :v:

(Yes, a Tonya Harding reference. How loving topical I am.)

Football/soccer is pretty loving corrupt too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I sort of enjoy just how goofy the Modern Pentahalon is (horse jumping, fencing, AND pistol shooting? I'm in), but keeping it in favor of a sport that's been part of the Olympics since like 700 BC is weird. I don't watch a ton of wrestling but growing up around it I know just how huge the Olympics are to the sport. This is a bummer.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Modern Pentathlon makes sense when you think about how the modern olympics were originally conceived as a way to get french schoolboys fired up about "masculine" things like fighting the germans.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Oh no :(

Seriously, when people talk about the origins of the olympics they always show two guys painted on the side of an urn wrestling.

That's a real bummer.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Another reason to not watch the Olympics.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DekeThornton posted:

Not to play devils advocate, but isn't it possible that wrestling is being threatend with being thrown out because it has become too tarred as corrupt even by IOC standards and it could be allowed back if it cleans up it's act and strange rulesets?

Wrestling has corruption issues. But nothing on the order of Boxing or Taekwondo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

I sort of enjoy just how goofy the Modern Pentahalon is (horse jumping, fencing, AND pistol shooting? I'm in), but keeping it in favor of a sport that's been part of the Olympics since like 700 BC is weird.

Modern Pentathlon has a guy on the IOC executive committee. That's the reason for wrestling getting voted out. The grappling sports are one of the few areas where smaller countries are able to have athletes medal, and are also some of the most widely participated sports worldwide. But Modern Pentathlon has more rich western Europeans.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Thoguh posted:

Wrestling has corruption issues. But nothing on the order of Boxing or Taekwondo.

I guess my perception is influenced by living in Sweden. Here wrestling have caught a ton of flak for being corrupt since that corruption has been viewed as robbing Swedish wrestlers of medals, so I guess it gets disproportional attention here compared to Boxing and TDK.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Isn't Trampoline still an Olympic sport? This is incredibly stupid. There's no way wrestling is the least deserving sport in the Olympics.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DekeThornton posted:

I guess my perception is influenced by living in Sweden. Here wrestling have caught a ton of flak for being corrupt since that corruption has been viewed as robbing Swedish wrestlers of medals, so I guess it gets disproportional attention here compared to Boxing and TDK.

The most corrupt Olympic sport is "All of them", but if you had to rank them wrestling wouldn't even make top 20.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Meat Recital posted:

Isn't Trampoline still an Olympic sport? This is incredibly stupid. There's no way wrestling is the least deserving sport in the Olympics.

Trampoline, modern pentathlon, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, archery, ping pong, handball, and dressage are all still Olympic sports.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I had to look up what dressage was. Holy shitballs what the gently caress is wrong with the IOC.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

DekeThornton posted:

'Too corrupt' is not something the IOC understands.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

What's wrong with archery? That's a legit sport with a lineage on par with wrestling's.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

What's wrong with archery? That's a legit sport with a lineage on par with wrestling's.

Also, there's a heightened interest due to the Hunger Games. I heard something about that being a big sleeper sport last Olympics.

Kurt Angle said he'd give an exclusive interview later today about this. That's gonna be fun.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Trampoline, modern pentathlon, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, archery, ping pong, handball, and dressage are all still Olympic sports.

No sport with a horse will ever be cut.

e: And when the IOC dreams of cutting ping pong it wakes up and apologizes to China

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 12, 2013

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Modern Pentathlon has a guy on the IOC executive committee. That's the reason for wrestling getting voted out. The grappling sports are one of the few areas where smaller countries are able to have athletes medal, and are also some of the most widely participated sports worldwide. But Modern Pentathlon has more rich western Europeans.

This is exactly it, what a joke. In their list of made up reasons they have "worldwide participation" or something as if there are more people around the world going to prep schools and learning to ride horses and shoot old timey pistols or whatever the gently caress modern pentathalon is rather than wrestling

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
They should bring in pro wrestling and have it judged, like gymnastics or figure skating.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

The Monkey Man posted:

They should bring in pro wrestling and have it judged, like gymnastics or figure skating.
At last, Angle has a chance!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Perigryn posted:

At last, Angle has a chance!

Until he tries his moonsault.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Looking forward to Kurt Angle cutting a promo on the IOC.

Looking forward a lot less to an Olympic Games without wrestling :(

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The IOC actually just did something very profound. They found the only way, outside an alien invasion, to get Russia, Iran and the US to unite in a common cause.

e: tell me this doesn't smell like a set up to bilk some money out of big buck countries like the US, Russia and Japan.

quote:

Round one
Wrestling: 5
Modern Pent: 5
Field Hockey: 2
Taekwondo: 1
Canoe/Kayak: 1

Round two
Wrestling: 7
Modern Pent: 4
Field Hockey: 1
Taekwondo: 1
Canoe/Kayak: 1

Elimination Run-off
Field Hockey: 6
Taekwondo: 5
Canoe/Kayak: 3

Round four
Wrestling: 6
Modern Pent: 5
Field Hockey: 3
Taekwondo: 0

Final round
Wrestling: 8
Modern Pent: 3
Field Hockey: 3

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/how-the-ioc-voted-to-eliminate-wrestling-round-by-round/

The votes weren't even close.

And then there's this:

quote:

The IOC will now put wrestling up against the seven other sports that have fought long and hard to be added to the schedule, including karate, squash, roller sports, wakeboarding, sport climbing, the chinese martial art of wushu, and baseball and softball in a joint bid.

The first vote will take place among the executive board in St. Petersburg in May, which is a great omen since Russia has won the most wrestling medals at every Olympics since it first began competing as an independent nation at the 1996 Olympics. But that vote will simply determine which sports will be proposed for the final vote among all the IOC members at a vote in Buenos Aires this September.

Each of the other proposed sports have had months, if not years, to literally pitch themselves to the IOC members (squash was arguably the most convincing), so if wrestling wants to win the vote, the governing body will no doubt have to lean on powerhouses like Russia, Japan and the U.S. for a bit of back room politicking to see if they can’t sway the members in their direction.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/how-wrestling-can-get-back-in-the-olympics/related/

Message to FILA: YOU'RE BRIBING THE WRONG PEOPLE!

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2013

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

Until he tries his moonsault.

Can't be worse than NCAA Champion Brock Lesnar's.

So here's Angle's statement:

quote:

“Wrestling is one of the most competitive sports in the world today,” stated TNA Superstar and 1996 Gold Medalist Kurt Angle. “Winning the gold for my country in one of the original Olympic sports was one of the greatest moments in my life.

“The wrestling community is in a state of shock with this decision– we can not sit back and allow this to happen. I will do whatever it takes and work with my company TNA WRESTLING and the competitive wrestling community to determine what we need to do to reverse this decision.”

“The news from the IOC is very disheartening to all of us at TNA as well as the tens of millions around the world who either participate in amateur wrestling or enjoy watching it in its entertainment form,” stated TNA President Dixie Carter. “We need to join together right now. We encourage our own IMPACT WRESTLING community, WWE and wrestling organizations worldwide as well as competitive amateur coaches and athletes to have a unified voice to make sure wrestling will be an Olympic sport in 2020.”

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
we just need an oil sheik to jump in and rescue wrestling by giving it its very own semi-corrupt traveling location world championship.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

we just need an oil sheik to jump in and rescue wrestling by giving it its very own semi-corrupt traveling location world championship.

Sadly my oil company is still in the startup phase and hasn't even made its first acquisition yet or I'd totally be there.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't know much about the FILA championships, but is it plausible that they could get a bit of funding and be a bigger deal if the Olympics really do fall through?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

ch3cooh posted:

Sadly my oil company is still in the startup phase and hasn't even made its first acquisition yet or I'd totally be there.

This is a binding contract. jeffersonlives will hold you to it

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Iron Shiek is displeased with the IOC

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
So I support and promote wrestling more than almost everyone I know. And I've got to say that although it disgusts me that the Olympics even considered this, I understand it completely. First of all the modern pentathlon community has been lobbying hard about staying included and wrestling really hasn't. It was always assumed wrestling would be an Olympic sport. Second, the current state of olympi wrestling is awful, it's very close to being completely unwatchable and it is poorly officiated. The rules tweaks have made stalling a real and successful strategy more than ever. My hope is that this wake up call to the wrestling community and the international wrestling bodies (FILA) to change the sport back or revert some of the rules they've used in the london games.

When you think Olympics, you think track and field first, then wrestling/swimming (hmm maybe make wrestleswimming a sport?). It's disappointing that the IOC let it go that far but wrestling certainly hasn't helped itself along the way.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

(hmm maybe make wrestleswimming a sport?).

Water Polo already exists.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mardragon posted:

hmm maybe make wrestleswimming a sport

That's water polo.

efb dammit Thoguh :argh:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
WATER POLO :downsrim:

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
What about synchronized water grappling?

Edit - Also wage polo has too much clothing for my liking.

Mardragon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 12, 2013

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I want modern pankration dammit. The only form I can actually imagine ever being accepted in to the Olympics would basically be wrestleboxing. You could have them wear amateur boxing headgear and gloves but also award points for takedowns

Failing that I'd like to see events taken from American Gladiators and Nickelodeon GUTS.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If there were some way they could combine Judo's current rules/scoring and add strikes that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'd be down to watch some olympic level 'dodge the tennis ball turret'

Sounds like it'd be pretty competitive.