Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Do you know a dude with a McLaren F1 and black F40 by any chance? He puts on some cars and coffee things. I assume the car list is enough to identify him without posting a name.

Online name begins with an F? Why the cryptic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Xeno posted:

Online name begins with an F? Why the cryptic?

I only know his real name, DK initials. Doesn't like people knowing who he is for some reason.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I only know his real name, DK initials. Doesn't like people knowing who he is for some reason.

drift king?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Holdbrooks posted:

drift king?

:golfclap:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Donkey Kong?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Derek Smart

Don King?

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Sounds like a real low key guy. Owning two of the most recognized super cars in the world and all, he really flies under the radar.

Dick Killer?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

dangerz posted:

Traded my jeep in for an '03 z06.

Still getting used to it. Used to have a base 2000 Vette. I didn't think the difference would be enough to notice, but it definitely is.

Thats a nice change of pace. How many miles on your Z?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frozen-Solid posted:

What's the point in adjusting something like that? Why would you want more or less hood gap?

Because body panels don't fit perfectly on mass produced vehicles? I have yet to own a car in 15 years of driving that didn't have hood adjustment stoppers/grommets and that includes vehicles with superior German adhesives.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Everyone uses adjustable body mounts, from Dacia to McLaren. Its part of how monocoque chassis are quite accurate, but panel stamping is not, and don't need to be.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dangerz posted:

Still getting used to it. Used to have a base 2000 Vette. I didn't think the difference would be enough to notice, but it definitely is.

I really like this ever-increasing goonvette club we have going to combat the stereotype of 60 year olds who drive them under the speed limit. So is everything stock on that?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

dangerz posted:

What's up C5 Z06 buddy :hfive:

Mine is black as well but with the older(?) style wheels. Mine's an '02. Wheels look like this, but are painted a graphite color instead of the chrome.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Traded my Civic in for this:

2008 Grand Touring Special Edition, 1 out of 750 ever sent to the US and an absolute blast to drive. 29k miles and bought for just about 5k under KBB since the dealership thought it was just a tarted up Grand Touring.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Because body panels don't fit perfectly on mass produced vehicles? I have yet to own a car in 15 years of driving that didn't have hood adjustment stoppers/grommets and that includes vehicles with superior German adhesives.

You have to admit that's kind of weird. "Well we don't think our car parts will line up exactly so here are nubs so you can adjust the body panels so that they fit exactly how you want."

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

b0nes posted:

You have to admit that's kind of weird. "Well we don't think our car parts will line up exactly so here are nubs so you can adjust the body panels so that they fit exactly how you want."

its more stuff that quality control Bob on the assembly line is supposed to adjust before they boot the car out the door to the consumer. Not you.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Edit: beaten

Surely it's cheaper to make panel gaps adjustable than suffer the percieved quality hit that comes with uneven gaps

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

b0nes posted:

Well it's gotta be better than the Gutenuf method.

copperswallow
Feb 5, 2013
What? Winter? Snow? what's that? it's 76*F here... :S

Sorry, one thing I know I'm not is a photographer.
Yeah, it goes zoom.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Your taillights make me angry.

copperswallow
Feb 5, 2013
Would it make you feel better if I told you you can still see through the tint very well?

It was spray-painted on, not brushed on like VHT night-shade garbage.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

copperswallow posted:

Would it make you feel better if I told you you can still see through the tint very well?

It was spray-painted on, not brushed on like VHT night-shade garbage.

The VHT Nite Shade I used was spray...

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Traded my Civic in for this:

2008 Grand Touring Special Edition, 1 out of 750 ever sent to the US and an absolute blast to drive. 29k miles and bought for just about 5k under KBB since the dealership thought it was just a tarted up Grand Touring.

What's different between this and the normal Grand Touring trim?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

blk posted:

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

just a tarted up Grand Touring.

If I had to guess.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

blk posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the Wikipedia page;

"For 2008, Mazda released a Special Edition MX-5 in Icy Blue exterior, with exclusive Dark Saddle Brown folding top, with matching leather with blue stitching steering wheel, seats, and hand brake. The Special Edition also featured a silver-accented shift knob, dark-silver finished instrument panel with chrome accents, special 17 in (430 mm) alloy wheels, stainless steel MX-5 scuff plate, and chrome front headlight bezel, as well as grille and fog lamp surrounds. The 2008 Special Edition was limited to 105 PRHT-equipped units in Canada and 750 soft-top units in the US."

It also has the Limited Slip Differential and ESC standard instead of option like on the Grand Touring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

copperswallow posted:

Yeah, it goes zoom.

Hmmmm, your car looks very familiar.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009
I think I've posted these individually before but never in this thread.

My current garage:

'94 Saab 9000 Aero, 5-speed. Completely stock, but it's a quite a sleeper. It's seriously quick and heaps of fun to drive if you can keep the torque steer under control. Amazing mid-range grunt and the best production car seats ever made.

'96 Volvo 850R, automatic. This is the first Volvo I've owned after a long string of Saabs, but I love it. I'd like a 5-speed but they're crazy rare. It's a bit more of a cruiser than the 9000, but still plenty quick and it sounds awesome.

I have a things for fast mid-90's swedish cars I guess?

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

These are friggin' rad. I've been looking at mid-2000 S60Rs recently. Another fast Swedish sedan, but just not the same in terms of character and charm as your two cars, though.

edit: speaking of fast mid-90's sedans (and panel gaps), here's my Japanese American drama queen

'95 Ford Taurus SHO with the Mazda sourced five speed manual transmission. Last year of the 3.0L V6 by Yamaha. Wonderful engine wrapped up in a bizarre and quirky package. And by quirky, I mean anything that wasn't made by Yamaha on the car is a POS and is on the fritz

AF fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 13, 2013

Rib Feast
Feb 18, 2003

Just had an ECU remap, resonators removed, x-pipe fitted, 2nd cats taken out. I swear rats are coming out at night and eating the tyres :tinfoil:

Rib Feast fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 13, 2013

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

copperswallow posted:

Yeah, it goes zoom.

If I recall - those RX8 wheels are damned boat anchors. You would likely do well to find something lighter to throw on.

copperswallow
Feb 5, 2013

ssjonizuka posted:

If I recall - those RX8 wheels are damned boat anchors. You would likely do well to find something lighter to throw on.

Stock MS6 wheels at 23 pounds, Rx8s at 21 lbs and an extra inch of girth. I didn't do it for the weight savings, I just hate the godawful multispokes. These are simpler. I just plain like them.

Bought for 350 buckaroos. :)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Rib Feast posted:

Just had an ECU remap, resonators removed, x-pipe fitted, 2nd cats taken out. I swear rats are coming out at night and eating the tyres :tinfoil:

drat nice car. How do you like it/what year?

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007

Rib Feast posted:

Beautiful ride! Would it be too much to ask for a video, with some audio of that lovely amg technology? Is it stock besides the updates you mentioned?

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

My 74' super beetle, which has seen a little action since this

And My 84' Supra P-type

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo
I just picked this up last Friday. 2013 Subaru WRX

Break in periods are hard. :unsmith:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Sabmo posted:

'96 Volvo 850R, automatic. This is the first Volvo I've owned after a long string of Saabs, but I love it. I'd like a 5-speed but they're crazy rare. It's a bit more of a cruiser than the 9000, but still plenty quick and it sounds awesome.

I love hot 850s. A couple years after I started lusting for them, a buddy bought one and modded it up to around 450 at the crank (the car obviously ate itself). One of these days I will find a T5R in that jaundice yellow color with a 5 speed. One day.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

copperswallow posted:

Yeah, it goes zoom.

Oh hellz to the yes. Come hang out with us in the MZR thread! The RX wheels aren't too bad. I've told myself I'll one day have to find some idiot that has some RX8 R3 wheels. Forged, gun metal finish and delicious to look at on the speed6.

Rib Feast
Feb 18, 2003

radikewlism posted:

Beautiful ride! Would it be too much to ask for a video, with some audio of that lovely amg technology? Is it stock besides the updates you mentioned?

Thanks! It's a Dec 2011 model, so the 2012 shape. Not sure how that works, but it's the LED front version with updated interiors.

I used to have a 2007 RS4 sedan which I chipped and put exhausts on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFM3LbT8i8w

How do I find the C63? It's this bizarre combination of sublimely comfortable in C mode, but dialling in M mode and turning traction off gives you that same fearful adrenaline handling a firearm gives you. In the wet the RS4 is a far more capable car, I still miss it. But the C63 is unforgiving yet it continues to reward you (read: drift hard and insanely accelerate) the longer you have it. The torque is insane - you can be ticking along in 7th gear and thump past most cars that are giving their cars the beans. I was going to get a V10 R8, but my girlfriend and family pretty much gave me an intervention as I ate breakfast about not getting it. Joke is on them, this car is far more dangerous!

I've got a video coming up soon for the merc taking off filmed by the same folks who did the RS4 video. Will upload it when it's online.

Edit: oh and apart from those mods it's stock - it's 461hp stock, I'd say with the ECU, crosspipe and secondary cats removed it'll be in the 510-540hp range.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh hellz to the yes. Come hang out with us in the MZR thread! The RX wheels aren't too bad. I've told myself I'll one day have to find some idiot that has some RX8 R3 wheels. Forged, gun metal finish and delicious to look at on the speed6.

Call me crazy but I love the stock wheels.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Call me crazy but I love the stock wheels.

Oh I don't think you're crazy, and think the stock wheels are the best (going to find some for winter tires next year) and haven't seen anything to persuade me otherwise except those R3 wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh I don't think you're crazy, and think the stock wheels are the best (going to find some for winter tires next year) and haven't seen anything to persuade me otherwise except those R3 wheels.

I picked up a second set off mazdas247 for the cost of a single new wheel from Mazda. Had to drive two hours to get them but they were practically mint. So those got the new summer tires and the old ones have the winters on them now.