Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Riding this http://i.imgur.com/VyfUAMg.jpg through this http://goo.gl/maps/m3YYy tomorrow is going to blow my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Utah is pretty beautiful in the south west. I didn't make it to Zion but there's a crazy hiking trail there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Somewhat incongruous...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

All vehicles need Hello Kitty stickers.

e: Embroider a Hello Kitty patch for your leathers.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Somewhat incongruous...

So THAT's why Hondas sound like that!

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Somewhat incongruous...

Well, I have seen many tales of dropped bikes with riders needing stitches. So there's that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

So THAT's why Hondas sound like that!

you're thinking of the SOHC hondas

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
gently caress it, had my first Italian bike ownership moment in ages this morning. The Shiver has a weird bug in it's EFI that means if the temperature is exactly zero degrees centigrade it won't start (rather it will start, run for one rev, then stop and reset itself). This morning it was exactly zero degrees. Normally just holding the starter in for 20 or 30 seconds makes it change it's mind but a couple of months without a proper run out on it and the battery rebelled and the whole thing died on me.

loving hell there's nothing worse than the bus.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A shiver won't start when it's cold? Too easy...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No worries mate, thats what they call "soul"

Sadly the Japanese bikes completely lack it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress it, had my first Italian bike ownership moment in ages this morning. The Shiver has a weird bug in it's EFI that means if the temperature is exactly zero degrees centigrade it won't start (rather it will start, run for one rev, then stop and reset itself). This morning it was exactly zero degrees. Normally just holding the starter in for 20 or 30 seconds makes it change it's mind but a couple of months without a proper run out on it and the battery rebelled and the whole thing died on me.

I take the N9 night bus to Heathrow sometimes when it's too poo poo out to ride and I'm on early shift (or the other direction when I'm on lates). Sometimes you just have to laugh. Those times are usually around 5am on a sunday morning.

My Italian bike soul has previously manifested in the form of a temperature reading of ---. Although through luck and vibration it now shows LO (too cold out for it to reach something higher than that). When it stops being so grim out I'll have to do some connector cleaning to sort that one out.
My Pegaso's soul showed itself in a speedo backlight that only flickered to life around 4000-4100rpm.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

A shiver won't start when it's cold? Too easy...

That's the fantastic thing (and how I realised it was a bug, not "character"). 1 degree above freezing? Starts first time. 5 degrees below (the coldest I've ever tried)? Had to spin twice then it started. I have a feeling that it's something as stupid and basic as a divide-by-zero bug in the code that decides whether it's a cold start or not (a pretty buggy area anyway - every once in a while it gets confused and tries to cold-start on a hot engine then sulks until you take out the key and put it back in, and it comes out of the cold-start program abruptly enough to stall the engine if the throttle happens to be closed at the time on really cold mornings).

Repeat after me the Italian Bike liturgy - "It's character, it's character, it's character, where's the loving trickle charger?"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Find where the drat AIT sensor is and hold your hand over it for five seconds next time. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Find where the drat AIT sensor is and hold your hand over it for five seconds next time. :v:

I know exactly where it is. That's why I got the bus this morning. Maybe I should just run a hair-dryer over it or something.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the fantastic thing (and how I realised it was a bug, not "character"). 1 degree above freezing? Starts first time. 5 degrees below (the coldest I've ever tried)? Had to spin twice then it started.
As an Italian bike owner, I think this is loving hilarious.

Get an extension cord and a hair dryer and heat the entire bike by 1 degree?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Frankly I refuse to believe that Ducati doesnt sell a Ducati™ brand official engine heater/pomade dryer

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was at GoAz Ducati/Triumph/BMW/etc today for the R&R recall on my 675 and ended up bullshitting with one of the employees for a couple hours. Had me go over and sit on a Panigale with full Termis and some other poo poo... holy gently caress that bike is loud. I've ridden a stock Panigale but drat, just drat. Troy Bayliss' old 1098 was there as well as GoDaddy owners (?) TriColore Panigale-S. mmm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hellforleather says the 390 Duke is definitely coming to the US...that's definitely on my list of city bikes to own a few years down the road.

Could be worse...

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 12, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

Hellforleather says the 390 Duke is definitely coming to the US...that's definitely on my list of city bikes to own a few years down the road.

Could be worse...

you know... I often wonder if we're giving ourselves away by posting these.
:hampants:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Frankly I refuse to believe that Ducati doesnt sell a Ducati™ brand official engine heater/pomade dryer

Don't be ridiculous.

You don't use a hair dryer with pomade, you have to let it air dry. I'm beginning to doubt your credentials, this sort of thing is printed in every Italian bike manual.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...and after getting pulled over for the second time in two weeks on the 675 I finally got a ticket this time. I was doing the speed limit exactly, guess the cop was bored. Ticketed for no plate light. I should do something about that - never had an issue on any bikes prior. Derp.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Comes with a trial size bottle of Ducati™ Genuine Nutria Hair Oil and tube Ducati™ Tuscan Anal Lube in a complimentary hand-stitched red leather weekend tote.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
What a retard I am. Managed to drop the bike at a stop sign this morning. Super embarassing, not sure what happened - it just kind of fell.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap new shift lever for a gen 1 SV? :v:

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 12, 2013

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

nsaP posted:

Could be worse...

Are you really tall or really short? I put in my dimensions (5'11" 31") and I'm nearly exactly upright.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think he's just got it set for massive forward lean angle -- that cartoon guy could easily straighten out his arms and back and still fit just fine.

Don't let babies ride motorcycles

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Are you really tall or really short? I put in my dimensions (5'11" 31") and I'm nearly exactly upright.

I just set the posture to 'agreesive' by turning the arm straightness down. That would be the 'spirited riding' position.

That dude is 6'3" (I'm a bit shorter but shoes etc.) with a 36" inseam. When I put my virtual dude on a fz6 (my real bike) he looks like he fits it well, but in real life I know I look big on it. Since I already look huge on the Duke I'm afraid of seeing myself on it in person.

Sagebrush posted:

I think he's just got it set for massive forward lean angle -- that cartoon guy could easily straighten out his arms and back and still fit just fine.

Oh god what have I done

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 12, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and I know for a fact that Cycle Ergo is bullshit Napoleonic optimism and they've likely never actually seen a tall person before.

I can't even get my feet on the pegs of 90% of motorcycles. :colbert:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Thats a hella swole baby.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone know where I can get a cheap new shift lever for a gen 1 SV? :v:

My curvy SV came with a broken shifter and I replaced it with this thing: http://amzn.com/B005SUWW7G

Don't know if it qualifies as "cheap" but it's been working fine for me. It doesn't match the brake lever on the other side whatsoever but I never cared about that. A week after putting it on, I slow-dropped the bike in the garage because the side stand had folded partly up and I didn't know it. I felt equally stupid, but the peg just folded in and the lever bent slightly instead of snapping off, so there's that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and I know for a fact that Cycle Ergo is bullshit Napoleonic optimism and they've likely never actually seen a tall person before.

I can't even get my feet on the pegs of 90% of motorcycles. :colbert:

Maybe you should talk to someone about the fact that your legs don't bend instead of blaming the tool.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I stretch every day, yoga-style. Just because I fit doesn't mean it's a level of comfort I would want to subject myself to every day. As I recall you have ~5 less inches on your legs and two or three less shoe sizes than me, too. :colbert:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My legs are a full 6 inches shorter than yours and I couldn't fit my knees into my friends 2012 Ninja 250, you'd look like you're riding a mini moto on one of those things!

We've got the first properly dry roads in maybe 4 months and apparently I've forgotten how to ride in the dry :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

I stretch every day, yoga-style. Just because I fit doesn't mean it's a level of comfort I would want to subject myself to every day. As I recall you have ~5 less inches on your legs and two or three less shoe sizes than me, too. :colbert:

Your fault for growing into an inhuman monster. :colbert:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm an rBST poster child, baby. :sun:

Sport bikes are meant for jockies, not this:

exhibit A: a picture of me next to a modern Japanese sport bike

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ReelBigLizard posted:

My legs are a full 6 inches shorter than yours and I couldn't fit my knees into my friends 2012 Ninja 250, you'd look like you're riding a mini moto on one of those things!

We've got the first properly dry roads in maybe 4 months and apparently I've forgotten how to ride in the dry :smith:

I look gangly as hell on the 250 and it isn't the most comfortable, but I fit. Works fine for short trips, and country rides are no problem because I'm constantly moving on the bike. Long straight hauls are pretty uncomfortable tho, I'm constantly trying to move a bit. I can even get my legs on the rear pegs fairly comfortably if the road is open and clear.

I'm lucky that I only have an 11 1/2 or 12 shoe depending on what I wear. When you combine the tallness with big feet it's a real pain without modding the shifter.

Strangely I sat on a cbr250 and it fit me well. I didn't get to ride it, but little things like where my legs fit on the tank were actually comfortable, as compared to the Ninja where my legs don't fit at all.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

My god, it's made of legs! :lsd:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I stopped by the local Harley-Davidson/Triumph dealer. They had 2012 and 2013 Street Triple 675's on the model floor. The '13 was white, with red subframe and decals. It was small and light (especially compared to the Speed Triples next to it), and gorgeous as hell. I want one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Came across the aftermath of this on my way home tonight:

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2013/02/motorcyclist-injured-in-westfe.html

Judging by the direction he was coming from he almost certainly had literally just left work when this guy (presumably) jumped the lights and took him out.

Dude was pretty loving lucky, the car clipped the back of his scoot and his only injuries seemed to be where his face hit the floor - he walked into the back of the ambulance, but his face was a mess. He was wearing full kit - and an open face lid. Sigh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Has anyone here ridden a Honda NT650 (Hawk GT, Bros)? I see them around pretty regularly for not-excessive prices, and there's something about that bike that just generally appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Has anyone here ridden a Honda NT650 (Hawk GT, Bros)? I see them around pretty regularly for not-excessive prices, and there's something about that bike that just generally appeals to me.

There's a pretty sick track Hawk GT in the shop right now. The tires were thrashed right to the very edges and there were huge globs of rubber all over them from being ridden so hard.
I'm pretty sure it's got CBR forks and F2 or VFR wheels on it. Probably the latter since it's a single sided swingarm.
The rear shock was a penske iirc.

I'll try and snag a pic if I get a chance.

All in all they're like the SV650. Not the fastest, but great all around and they make really fun track bikes.