Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

And why not put it on blu-ray after everyone already bought the DVD set?

I'm glad they're finally giving it a BD release, but that is such a dick move. Never mind the fact they are taking way too long to release the actual seasons.
It sucks, but this has happened before too with Fox and Archer. I can't remember where but there was a Q&A of some kind on one of the high def sites with a rep for the studio who basically said "well we saw blu-ray growing so we planned on putting Season 2 out, but we figured fans would complain about their collection being split up by format so we made season 1 available for the die hards who need everything perfect".

Which, when you think about it, IS true. Look at how many posts there are STILL on hd forums asking "When are they gonna release the first 5 seasons of Smallville on blu?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assume Annie Hall's audio being out of synch for some people is a well-known issue and I just never bothered to learn of it. I guess it might be a PS3 issue which would be unfortunate. At least it's only a few segments of the movie.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

There's no room to include the full two-hour re-edit+extras on either the S3 or S4 set.

This is the only part I have to roll my eyes at. Put an extra disc in the S4 set?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Space_Butler posted:

It sucks, but this has happened before too with Fox and Archer. I can't remember where but there was a Q&A of some kind on one of the high def sites with a rep for the studio who basically said "well we saw blu-ray growing so we planned on putting Season 2 out, but we figured fans would complain about their collection being split up by format so we made season 1 available for the die hards who need everything perfect".

Which, when you think about it, IS true. Look at how many posts there are STILL on hd forums asking "When are they gonna release the first 5 seasons of Smallville on blu?".

The difference here is that Adventure Time and Archer were originally produced and broadcast in HD.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

The difference here is that Adventure Time and Archer were originally produced and broadcast in HD.
My point wasn't about the technical aspect, it was about anticipating sales/fan demand. On top of that, season 5 of Smallville WAS released on HD-DVD, but never blu-ray, so that comparison doesn't hold water anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

My point wasn't about the technical aspect, it was about anticipating sales/fan demand. On top of that, season 5 of Smallville WAS released on HD-DVD, but never blu-ray, so that comparison doesn't hold water anyway.

Yeah, but gently caress internet spergs anyway.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ApexAftermath posted:

This is the only part I have to roll my eyes at. Put an extra disc in the S4 set?

Going from a six-disc collection to a seven-disc collection isn't that easy; there's extra manufacturing costs and packaging issues - the seven-disc TOS sets are notorious for having cracked and broken cases. Plus, every other season set will be a standard Blu-ray case width, while moving to a seven-disc set would require going to one of the double-width cases.

The full press release for TNG S3 and TNG: The Best of Both Worlds was put out this morning: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/02092013_s3bobwpressreleases.html

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Hudsucker Proxy is up for pre-order on Warner Archive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The Hudsucker Proxy is up for pre-order on Warner Archive.

I didn't even know there were Warner Archive blu-rays. How are they?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Dark Knight Rises dropped down to $14.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWZWGK...48PSPW5SKZVK6D1

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

CPL593H posted:

They just started offering BRD last(?) month, I think Hudsucker Proxy is the third or fourth available.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

CPL593H posted:

There are only two available so far, Gypsy and Deathtrap. If The Hudsucker Proxy follows the trend, there will be no effort on putting anything interesting beyond the trailer as an extra but the actual transfer will be great.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Another lesser known Blu-Ray is The Iron Petticoat from TCM Vault

And speaking of Warner Archive, they are running a buy 2 get 1 free with free shipping, dvd only, on their site. I've been trying to cut back my spending but I still grabbed three.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

I've been trying to cut back my spending but I still grabbed three.

Story of my life. At least I have lots of movies to watch. :unsmith:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kuddles posted:

There are only two available so far, Gypsy and Deathtrap. If The Hudsucker Proxy follows the trend, there will be no effort on putting anything interesting beyond the trailer as an extra but the actual transfer will be great.

Yeah I don't care about special features.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Shame that Hudsucker Proxy isn't viable enough to warrant a full release, though. You'd figure the Coens would have a loyal enough audience.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Shame that Hudsucker Proxy isn't viable enough to warrant a full release, though. You'd figure the Coens would have a loyal enough audience.

I think that they do, but for some reason the Hudsucker Proxy is considered one of their lesser movies.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

CPL593H posted:

I think that they do, but for some reason the Hudsucker Proxy is considered one of their lesser movies.

Sorry but it is. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kaujot posted:

Sorry but it is. :colbert:

Thems fightin words!

edit: Topic change for a moment. Is there any way to obsessively request future Warner Archives blu-rays, because I would do terrible, unspeakable things for a BD release of the Green Slime.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 12, 2013

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CPL593H posted:

Thems fightin words!

edit: Topic change for a moment. Is there any way to obsessively request future Warner Archives blu-rays, because I would do terrible, unspeakable things for a BD release of the Green Slime.

Bug them on their Facebook page. All of the comments-- besides the people who are angry that classic cartoons don't include original bumpers-- are usually responded to.

And, yes, thems is fighting words.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

CPL593H posted:

It might be my favourite, actually. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the Coen's biggest flop, and it certainly doesn't seem to have the cult status that Fargo or The Big Lebowski seem to have retained.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A double feature from Shout Factory is coming out May 28

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry/Race With The Devil

$13.98

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BENWPB4...QG8VKV19CQPHD6W

------

Also Crazy Horse/Walk The Line double pack dropped down to $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MU8ZAW...MMT7M2NQNZFPHMN

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Sporadic posted:

Shout Factory! is doing some awesome things lately. Their Scream Factory line is among my favourites for combining my most eagerly anticipated releases with some wonderful surprises.

Like this brand new TerrorVision/The Video Dead double bill.

Other upcoming/new BRD releases include: Lifeforce, Day of the Dead, Phantasm II, From Beyond, The Howling, The Town that Dreaded Sundown and much more.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Starscream posted:

Shout Factory! is doing some awesome things lately. Their Scream Factory line is among my favourites for combining my most eagerly anticipated releases with some wonderful surprises.

As fantastic as Terrorvision is, I'm not certain that makes up for lousiness of The Video Dead. Still... Terrorvision.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

$13.98

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BENWPB4...QG8VKV19CQPHD6W

I had the DVD version of this in my hand the other day and almost bought it. Glad I held off! I love that movies like this are getting blu-ray releases.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Starscream posted:

Other upcoming/new BRD releases include: Lifeforce, Day of the Dead, Phantasm II, From Beyond, The Howling, The Town that Dreaded Sundown and much more.

I'm thrilled with every thing SCREAM FACTORY is putting out. Bought everything they've released thus far, and pre-ordered the other stuff that's available on amazon thus far. It's nice to see some of these flicks getting the blu treatment.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CPL593H posted:

Thems fightin words!

No but aren't they BETA testing their archive streaming service? I saw Drew from Hitfix talking about it on Twitter the other day. If they're offering all their catalogue titles ready for streaming then...that's awesome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The most surprising news...

quote:

Cult label Redemption Films has revealed that it is planning to bring to Blu-ray fourteen films directed by Jess Franco. Amongst the films that will get the HD treatment are A Virgin Among the Living Dead a.k.a Christine, Princess of Eroticism (1973), The Demons (1973), The Awful Dr. Orloff (1962), The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (1972), Nightmares Come at Night (1970), and the never before released Les Chatouilleuses a.k.a Crazy Nuns (1975).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I hear the bonus material on Scream Factory's upcoming Crimewave Blu-Ray features footage of Sam Raimi cutting his wrists in attempt to escape embarrassment.

(day one purchase)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's a new, big comparison piece for the upcoming Star Trek TNG: The Best of Both Worlds... with uncompressed screencaps and video from the Blu-ray source.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/02132013_bobwtrailerhd.html

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

DrVenkman posted:

No but aren't they BETA testing their archive streaming service? I saw Drew from Hitfix talking about it on Twitter the other day. If they're offering all their catalogue titles ready for streaming then...that's awesome.

I'm in the Beta. It's not all of their catalog titles, but it's a start. They have some stuff exclusively on there (like Blonde Crazy) that's not even available on DVD-R.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Aatrek posted:

Here's a new, big comparison piece for the upcoming Star Trek TNG: The Best of Both Worlds... with uncompressed screencaps and video from the Blu-ray source.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/02132013_bobwtrailerhd.html

I feel so bad for Patrick Stewart.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Does anyone know what, if any, differences there are between the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD and the Skynet Edition on BR? I'm talking about the special features, they seem similar but aren't listed the same way on each.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The news about the Franco movies coming to high def thrills me to no end. Redemption Films has drastically improved since the old days of single-layer non-anamorphic fuzzy-looking DVDs with the super cheesy Eileen Daly lesbian vampire intros. I was just watching The Comeback, which looked gorgeous, a million times better than the Media Blasters DVD. Haven't been disappointed with any of their releases so far. Bring on the Franco, I'll proudly buy every title day one.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So the Gold Box deal today is the Die Hard Collection: http://www.amazon.com/Die-Hard-Anni...RM8YB93G2GEECTG

I know that Live Free is not the Unrated one, but I'm curious on what anyone has heard about the quality? (both picture and the quality of the set in regards to special features)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sheldrake posted:

I'm in the Beta. It's not all of their catalog titles, but it's a start. They have some stuff exclusively on there (like Blonde Crazy) that's not even available on DVD-R.

How's the quality on them? Is it just stuff that goes up there regardless of quality or have they at least had some work done?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

DrVenkman posted:

How's the quality on them? Is it just stuff that goes up there regardless of quality or have they at least had some work done?

I know WA tries to remaster most if the stuff they put out nowadays. In terms of Instant, I watched Dames and a bit of Blonde Crazy and they look great. They even have a few HD masters of movies that haven't gotten a blu ray release, which look excellent.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

No Blu-Ray immediately in the works, but Steve Stanchfield of Thunderbean Animation recently completed an HD scan of Gulliver's Travels from an original 35mm Technicolor print...

And just for yucks, a comparison between his scan and Koch Lorber's hideously awful Blu-Ray:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

No Blu-Ray immediately in the works, but Steve Stanchfield of Thunderbean Animation recently completed an HD scan of Gulliver's Travels from an original 35mm Technicolor print...

And just for yucks, a comparison between his scan and Koch Lorber's hideously awful Blu-Ray:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing looking. Animation always surprises me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Good LORD :stare:

• Locked thread