Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Me? I pronounce is new clear. Other people pronounce is new q lar. These people are frequently mocked by some people who don't recognize the existence (or at least the legitimacy) of variation in pronunciation. It's been noted that vowel reversals are common in English, the way most people pronounce iron as i-earn, although this isn't seem as a sign of stupidity the way nucular is for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gravity Pike posted:

Yes. The US invaded Iraq because Bush suspected Hussein had WMDs. That is the reason why it happened.

Realistically, both Lance and Stubblyhead are right. We could knock over NK in a second, but it'd piss off China, wouldn't net us anything, and then we'd be stuck rebuilding North Korea for decades. I mean, there is a reason why South Korea doesn't want unification. Those people are dirt poor - some of them are literally eating dirt - and any attempt to fix the nation is going to cost a fuckton of money.

I had written up a reply saying how we couldn't invade because, yes, we could crush them in hours, but in those hours they could decimate Seoul. But then I looked it up... turns out that's not very likely. Yes, they could fire on Seoul, and kill thousands, but they wouldn't flatten it. And that's assuming they actually carry out the orders to, and we have no idea what the military is willing to do.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is there any procedure at all for getting someone else's Gmail address? On the off chance it's been abandoned and unused for years? In 2004 I had to append a '1' to my preferred address and it would be awesome if I could somehow usurp theirs. Not if it's being used, of course, I just wondered if they had anything in place at all.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

dokmo posted:

Me? I pronounce is new clear. Other people pronounce is new q lar. These people are frequently mocked by some people who don't recognize the existence (or at least the legitimacy) of variation in pronunciation. It's been noted that vowel reversals are common in English, the way most people pronounce iron as i-earn, although this isn't seem as a sign of stupidity the way nucular is for some reason.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this, according to Merriam-Webster those are both acceptable ways to say nuclear but that's the only pronunciation for iron.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He's talking about metathesis, which is where adjacent sounds switch positions.

It's just that in the case of "nuclear" it is still subject to variation between speakers, while "iron" changed a long as time ago.

Also, you've flipped how things become accepted pronunciations. It's based around how people say things, which is hopefully reflected in the dictionary eventually. See people bitching 300 years ago about "Lazy kids this days, not pronouncing 'banished' with the proper 3 syllables, they're ruining the language."

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Golbez posted:

Is there any procedure at all for getting someone else's Gmail address? On the off chance it's been abandoned and unused for years? In 2004 I had to append a '1' to my preferred address and it would be awesome if I could somehow usurp theirs. Not if it's being used, of course, I just wondered if they had anything in place at all.

Email them and ask them if they want to sell their email address?

Google doesn't release account names. Ever.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66278

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ThatPazuzu posted:

How do you pronounce nuclear? I've had the right and wrong way explained to me a couple times but I never hear a difference.

I'm starting to think it's an elaborate joke.

Professor Richard A. Muller - University of California Davis at Berkeley
Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behind the Headlines - Page 153:

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Whenever I see my mom scoop her cats' litter box, I watch her scoop up the kitty poop and then put it into a plastic grocery bag and then set it right beside the litter box, not throwing it away. She does this when she notices that the cat box smells bad because one of the cats took a poo poo - she just scoops the poop out into the bag and leaves it there, as if that helps with the smell. Is this a thing that people do with their cat boxes? I thought you were supposed to throw away whatever you scooped out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No you save it and make sculpture.

Is she closing the bag? If so, then that would help with the smell. If not, then she's only helping the cat by giving it a clean box, and not helping the smell.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

She does not close the bag, no. I can't figure out where she is getting this idea that simply moving the poop from one place to another place right beside it will help the smell.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Budget Bears posted:

Whenever I see my mom scoop her cats' litter box, I watch her scoop up the kitty poop and then put it into a plastic grocery bag and then set it right beside the litter box, not throwing it away. She does this when she notices that the cat box smells bad because one of the cats took a poo poo - she just scoops the poop out into the bag and leaves it there, as if that helps with the smell. Is this a thing that people do with their cat boxes? I thought you were supposed to throw away whatever you scooped out?

Does she wait until the bag is full before throwing it out?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

What colour is lobster meat? I was under the impression that it was white both when raw and cooked. But my housemate bought a cheapass tin of it and it was a red/brown colour. This wasn't like chunks of lobster meat, it looked minced and had sort of the texture of cheap wet cat food. It didn't have any flavouring that might have accounted for the colour, did he just get an off can of it or something?

simokon
Nov 6, 2009
Perhaps the cat cares more about the cleanliness of the box than your mom cares about the smell. Have you thought about asking her?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Budget Bears posted:

She does not close the bag, no. I can't figure out where she is getting this idea that simply moving the poop from one place to another place right beside it will help the smell.

Maybe she is not doing it for the smell but simply because if she does not do it the cats will poo poo & piss somewhere else instead. Usually in a slipper or on your pillow because cats are dicks like that.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Sometimes cats won't use a litter box if there is already too much stuff in it. I'm not sure if this is by smell, sight, or feel, but what shes doing may help?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Budget Bears posted:

I have a cat, and I don't notice the smell anymore at all, even though the litter box is in my living room. She probably doesn't notice it, either.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

But every time she scoops it she always remarks beforehand, "man, it smells like kitty poop, I should go scoop the box!" She clearly does notice it and will light matches or incense after one of the cats poops. And she does throw out the bag when it's full. I don't give a poo poo how she scoops the cat box, I'm mostly just wondering if this is a thing that people do. Is this how people usually handle litter boxes or do they usually immediately throw out everything they scoop?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vitamins posted:

What colour is lobster meat? I was under the impression that it was white both when raw and cooked. But my housemate bought a cheapass tin of it and it was a red/brown colour. This wasn't like chunks of lobster meat, it looked minced and had sort of the texture of cheap wet cat food. It didn't have any flavouring that might have accounted for the colour, did he just get an off can of it or something?

The meat is more-or-less white, except for where the outer layer is in direct contact with the shell, which will be reddish after cooking.
Good example:

Claw meat has a pigment layer covering the entire surface, which was probably the meat used in canning. (tails can be frozen and shipped separate for :10bux: )

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 12, 2013

simokon
Nov 6, 2009

Budget Bears posted:

I'm mostly just wondering if this is a thing that people do. Is this how people usually handle litter boxes or do they usually immediately throw out everything they scoop?

Your mom is strange then. We have a covered trash can next to the litter box that goes out on trash day. We used scoop and toss daily, but then our city got all high and mighty and banned plastic grocery bags. :argh:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Why are movies released at different times in different nations, rather than just releasing the film in every nation at once? Like how some are put out in Europe and a week later show up in the US. Or how Thor opened in Australia first for some reason.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

I recently found out I'm descended from the Inca, I need to find the most complete, no holds barred anthropology of my people that exists. Music, religion, politics, tattoos, I need it all.

My dad is a professor of Latin American Studies, and I passed your question on to him. He recommends these books:

quote:

- Garcilaso de la Vega: THE INCAS (available in translation, Avon Books).
- Bernabe Cobo: INCA RELIGION AND CUSTOMS (Univ. of Texas Press)
- Max Milligan: REALM OF THE INCAS (Universe Publishing)
- Jeffrey Quilter & Gary Urton: NARRATIVE THREADS (how to read/interpret the khipus; Univ. of Texas Press)
- Jorge Luis Delgado: ANDEAN AWAKENING—AN INCA GUIDE TO MYSTICAL PERU (Council Oak Books)
- Julia Meyerson: ‘TAMBO—LIFE IN AN ANDEAN VILLAGE

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vitamins posted:

It should be white or off white when cooked, with red colored parts where it was in close contact with the shell.

It's possible that the can was a little on the old side, but if it smelled and tasted OK he's probably safe. All that being said, if it looked like cat food he might have received a can of low quality lobster meat, kind of how low end canned tuna has a dull pink/brown color to it, where better stuff is a kind of off white.

Best bet, cheap brand is ugly because it uses lower quality input to start with, but is safe for human consumption.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Is it legal to use someone else's credit card? My mom gives me hers to use sometimes when I run to the store for her or whatever. Does having permission make it legal (if it is illegal)? I've also gotten pre-signed checks from her; she just signs it and I fill in the rest at the checkout. Legal?

As an aside, she has "ASK TO SEE PHOTO ID" written on the back of the card and I've literally never had anyone ask to see a photo ID when either she or I use it. I actually have no idea why she wrote it on there. "In case someone steals it" I guess but if no one asks to see a photo ID, what good is it? I can't recall ever having to show a photo ID when using any of my cards either. Is showing a photo ID up to the card issuer, or the establishment you are buying from?

Also, is it legal to use someone else's debit card? Obviously you would have to give them the PIN number. I let my fiance use mine and I know his PIN. What about the legalities of that?

Obviously I'm not worried about the feds coming after me because I use my mom's credit card, just curious.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Budget Bears posted:

But every time she scoops it she always remarks beforehand, "man, it smells like kitty poop, I should go scoop the box!" She clearly does notice it and will light matches or incense after one of the cats poops. And she does throw out the bag when it's full. I don't give a poo poo how she scoops the cat box, I'm mostly just wondering if this is a thing that people do. Is this how people usually handle litter boxes or do they usually immediately throw out everything they scoop?

I've seen it before, but never with an open bag like that. I kept my cat's box right next to the bathroom so I could just flush the scooped poop, but at my parents' house the catbox was in the basement, far from the plumbing. So they kept a plastic grocery bag next to it (closed with a clothespin for stench containment) which got tossed out & replaced periodically, probably weekly on trash day.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

razz posted:

Is it legal to use someone else's credit card? My mom gives me hers to use sometimes when I run to the store for her or whatever. Does having permission make it legal (if it is illegal)? I've also gotten pre-signed checks from her; she just signs it and I fill in the rest at the checkout. Legal?

Also, is it legal to use someone else's debit card? Obviously you would have to give them the PIN number. I let my fiance use mine and I know his PIN. What about the legalities of that?

I don't think any of these things are legal and are probably against the terms and conditions of the card as well, but IANAL.

I would check with the Legal thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

razz posted:

These are all legal. Sometimes they're against a bank's rules, but not usually. If you do these things regularly, then the bank and credit card company should be informed just to be safe, often they'll let the cardholder get another card for the account with the name of the extra user.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Liar posted:

Why are movies released at different times in different nations, rather than just releasing the film in every nation at once? Like how some are put out in Europe and a week later show up in the US. Or how Thor opened in Australia first for some reason.

Film, as in the actual reels that go to the theater, is expensive. If you can make 3,000 copies of the movie, loan them to all the American theaters, then get them back in two months and loan them to all the European theaters, then you've saved some cash.

This becomes less relevant as digital distribution becomes more mainstream, but we're still a long ways off from it being the only distribution method worldwide.

Now, couple this with marketing reasons - you may want to avoid certain country's local events, release on other country's local holidays, etc. and avoid releasing on the same week as another huge movie, and you have the rest of the story.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm probably miles off from the right place to ask this, but I'll start here.

So, for a long rear end time, I've wanted a giant, pretty chart on my wall showing the lives of English monarchs, color coded by house, with some amount of symbols annotating marriage, parentage, stabbings, etc. Picture something a little like this (http://xkcd.com/657/), but with Plantagenent and Tudor instead of Men and Hobbits, with it actually done by year.

I am willing to do this myself, but I would have no idea where to start besides making a gently caress-off huge image in Photoshop and going to town, so I'd also be interested if there's a place I could go to commission this. Is this madness, or is this a thing that can be done?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm probably miles off from the right place to ask this, but I'll start here.

So, for a long rear end time, I've wanted a giant, pretty chart on my wall showing the lives of English monarchs, color coded by house, with some amount of symbols annotating marriage, parentage, stabbings, etc. Picture something a little like this (http://xkcd.com/657/), but with Plantagenent and Tudor instead of Men and Hobbits, with it actually done by year.

I am willing to do this myself, but I would have no idea where to start besides making a gently caress-off huge image in Photoshop and going to town, so I'd also be interested if there's a place I could go to commission this. Is this madness, or is this a thing that can be done?

Something like this?

or this?

There's room on chart like these for maybe one or two more variables, but there is a limit to how much information can be encoded in a chart and have it still be legible. I'll tell you now that drawing the chart is easier than conceptualizing it.

Look through what other people have produced (e.g.), maybe someone has already done what you want. Get an idea of what variables you want to encode, and see how they relate to each other: births, deaths, marriages, stabbings are all points in time and can be encoded on the same axis. Parentage and relationships between people are different, and will complicate drawing it.

The place to start is data: if you can't find an simple solution to get all the information you want from a single source, you may find that getting it is going to be way too complicated. If you find a place with all the data you need, put it all into a spreadsheet: each row is a person, each column is a piece of data (birthdate, death, etc). Once you have the data, you'll probably find that there's only a couple of different ways of presenting it that make sense.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
He did mention that he wanted a GIANT chart, so my first thought was essentially a family tree with birth/death written under a portrait, lines for marriages with date captions, and maybe color-coded daggers or whatever for assassinations/executions.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, tarepanda is getting my drift.

I had already done a mess of googles and have seen what you posted : the first is closer to what I want, but still miles.

Basically, I have a chunk of my hallway where the wall is hosed up* and I would love a HUGE, like 2 by 8 absolute minimum, chart of this. With, yes, as tarepanda guessed, I would love cartoony daggers and portraits and the whole nine yards.

I want it to be just as much decorative as informative. Yeah, I know this is a really weird request, hence why I'm starting here to see if anyone has even a clue where to go. There must be some graphic design goons that I can at least talk to about this? If I end up commissioning it, I'm totally willing to just have them do the art bit and I have to hand them a giant spreadsheet of monarchs.

*In the construction and years of abuse before I moved in. I've done what I can, but it is still not pretty and fixing it proper would involved tearing the wall apart and gently caress that, it's a rental.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarepanda posted:

You can't usually just "play" video files on a TV.

A lot of modern TVs have USB ports that you can plug an external HD or thumb drive into and just play videos or music off them.

razz posted:

As an aside, she has "ASK TO SEE PHOTO ID" written on the back of the card and I've literally never had anyone ask to see a photo ID when either she or I use it. I actually have no idea why she wrote it on there. "In case someone steals it" I guess but if no one asks to see a photo ID, what good is it? I can't recall ever having to show a photo ID when using any of my cards either. Is showing a photo ID up to the card issuer, or the establishment you are buying from?

You never have to show photo ID to use a credit card. It doesn't matter if you write that on there or not, there is no requirement to honour that request, and if you write that instead of signing it then shops are actually within their rights to refuse to accept the card at all, because it's not valid unless signed. And if it is signed then they can't refuse it on the basis of a lack of photo ID anyway.

The purpose of the signature is not to verify the identity of the person using the card at the time of use, there's no way the checkout person could be expected to analyse and compare the signatures (especially if one's on plastic and the other on paper), it's an acknowledgement that you accept the terms of the card's use and acknowledge receipt of it. When they ask you to sign for a purchase with a credit card that's so it can be checked if the transaction is disputed.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Sieg posted:

I don't think any of these things are legal

Install Gentoo posted:

These are all legal.

:psyduck:

Tiggum posted:

The purpose of the signature is not to verify the identity of the person using the card at the time of use, there's no way the checkout person could be expected to analyse and compare the signatures (especially if one's on plastic and the other on paper), it's an acknowledgement that you accept the terms of the card's use and acknowledge receipt of it. When they ask you to sign for a purchase with a credit card that's so it can be checked if the transaction is disputed.

That makes a lot of sense and also explains how people can "get away" with their signature being illegible scribbles. My signature is like that because my last name is kind of awkward for me to write in cursive so it just becomes a line. I remember a funny website from a while ago where some guy tried to see how crazy of a signature he could get away with. I think he even signed a receipt as THIS CARD IS STOLEN! or something like that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I really don't know where he got the idea that it's illegal from, my own bank even has it down as allowable in their terms of service.

The illegal thing is to use it without the person's permission.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Install Gentoo posted:

I really don't know where he got the idea that it's illegal from, my own bank even has it down as allowable in their terms of service.

The illegal thing is to use it without the person's permission.

I said "I don't think" and "IANAL". I also provided a link to the legal questions thread. Googling this leads to mixed results. Some people say it is legally grey, some people say it is fine with written permission, and some people say it is illegal.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

razz posted:

:psyduck:

That makes a lot of sense and also explains how people can "get away" with their signature being illegible scribbles. My signature is like that because my last name is kind of awkward for me to write in cursive so it just becomes a line. I remember a funny website from a while ago where some guy tried to see how crazy of a signature he could get away with. I think he even signed a receipt as THIS CARD IS STOLEN! or something like that.

IANAL but basically it's all based in civil law until fraud, theft, etc. come into play.

Again not a lawyer, but even if you charge things without permission the permission of use is all that matters in criminal law. (something that plays out all the time with borrowed cars, cards, etc.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Essentially when you let someone else use your card (unless your bank specifically says otherwise) it's saying that you trust them, and furthermore that you can't dispute charges they make with it. It's rather like handing someone a wad of cash and telling them to buy you something - you're on the hook if they lose it. Same goes for checks and the like.

Also if you let someone use your card/checks and they get stolen while they're using them? The bank will probably blame you for letting that happen.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I want to get a needlepoint in 8 bit styling of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where the priest rips out the man's heart. What would be the best way to go about getting this done and commissioned?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
^ Maybe post a "buying" thread in SA-Mart? ^

Sieg posted:

There is a spectrum.

Google "HID color chart" or just look at this: http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/colour-chart.php

I can almost guarantee you that what you are seeing is people running HID headlights in a housing that was designed for halogen headlights. Since they are much brighter than the standard headlight, you really need to properly project them with 'projectors'. Most people don't bother replacing the housings because that is expensive.

Thank you to you and everyone else who responded. For whatever reason, I hadn't made the connection the temperature ranges listed and their equivalent blackbody color index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Is it safe and fine by electrical codes to install 20 amp receptacles (electrical switches and outlets) on a 15 amp circuit breaker? I know the breaker will still be rated at and trip if 15 amps are exceeded, and I know the receptacles won't magically make the breaker 20 amps, but I have a spare outlet and switch (both rated at 20 amps) that are going in a dual gang box on its own circuit that may have a 15 amp breaker (I'll find out the breaker rating tomorrow).

If the breaker is 20, then I'm all set, but if it's 15, will it be fine if I install them anyway?