Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Popelmon posted:

If you have an Android phone you have to get Pocket Casts. That app is perfect for all your podcast needs.

Anyway, I just unfollowed Todd Glass on Twitter. Everyone who follows him will know why :v:.

Can you explain it for those that don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

He seems to have a running gag about how much he loves pussy. He has been retweeting dozens and dozens of tweets that are all variations of "Man, @toddglass sure does love pussy", "Hey, @toddglass, leave some pussy for the rest of us", etc.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

PUSSY

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Popelmon posted:

If you have an Android phone you have to get Pocket Casts. That app is perfect for all your podcast needs.

Anyway, I just unfollowed Todd Glass on Twitter. Everyone who follows him will know why :v:.

That's hilarious.

I thought the pussy jokes were pretty funny. Some of them.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Some of them were kinda funny but there were SO MANY OF THEM.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
There's a setting where you can mute seeing what people retweet just fyi

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

tnimark posted:

He seems to have a running gag about how much he loves pussy. He has been retweeting dozens and dozens of tweets that are all variations of "Man, @toddglass sure does love pussy", "Hey, @toddglass, leave some pussy for the rest of us", etc.
Did Todd Glass figure out how to use Twitter? Because I'm delighted by the idea that he still uses an assistant and is yelling at them "GO FIND ALL THE TWEETS ABOUT ME LOVING PUSSY AND RETWEET THEM."

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Tom Green just started a podcast which also has pretty good video. First episode is here http://tomgreen.com/category/podcast/ and video preview is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_s-RlhSmyM

Not a big fan of watching podcasts but it's nice that it's not just some camera in the corner.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Drugs are bad.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 26, 2013

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
More of a video streaming topic than a podcast per se, but the 2:30 PST thing Tim Heidecker and Jon Daly were talking about on CBB a few weeks ago is live streaming now.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Wait, Pete Holmes is straight?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I just had a possibly terrifying realization: I AM Pete Holmes. That thing where he makes a joke and then says I don't know why we're not all laughing at it? I do that, albeit not as aggressively. I have issues with formerly being a christian but now an atheist. I put women on pedestals. I'm not a boob guy but I'm sure I have an equivalent of his being embarrassed by a well-endowed girlfriend showing off their goods but being attracted to other women showing off their goods. That was a weird sentence. I do terrible impressions (Don Pardo is my goto). No Country for Old Men is my There Will Be Blood.

AND I JUST MADE IT WEIRD.

e: also I get super loud when drunk/high/whatever even though I'm an introvert.

e2: I also think blonde people with beards are kings. And I want to know if Pierce knows where the beers are.

e3: and I would gladly hatefriend Chelsea Peretti

e4: AND I DRINK WINE! OH MY GOD EMILY

Identifying with Pete Holmes in any facet is absolutely horrifying and I feel sorry for your friends and family.

apple orchard of dreams
Jun 18, 2001

Harminoff posted:

Tom Green just started a podcast which also has pretty good video. First episode is here http://tomgreen.com/category/podcast/ and video preview is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_s-RlhSmyM

Not a big fan of watching podcasts but it's nice that it's not just some camera in the corner.

I miss his talk show that he was doing out of his house. This seems like it will be a good alternative.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

-Atom- posted:

Identifying with Pete Holmes in any facet is absolutely horrifying and I feel sorry for your friends and family.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

DENVER YEA!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I find it hard to consume too much of Pete in any sitting because of, like you, exactly how similar to me he is. I'm also going to eventually be that awkward dad interrupting his kid's sleepover with poorly-altered pop song lyrics and cracker sandwiches.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I agree. I really like YMIW but I never listen to episodes back to back. That's just Petey overkill. It doesn't help when the episodes are over 2 hours in length.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ograbme posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*Circle of Life opening sound*

I binge listened to a bunch of YMIW after I saw ol' petey pants do standup but now I can barely listen to the show. Still like the live ones but the interviews all feel very samey. I'm at the point where I pick and choose based on the guest and even then I might skip it because he makes every episode as long as a loving LOTR movie lately

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Has anyone been listening to Put Your Hands Together? It's the stand up show that replaced Comedy Bang Bang at UCB. It's a lot different from most podcasts in that it's just the stand up sets from the show with a few interview segments. It's similar to all the half hour comedy shows with a bunch of comics.

Now everyone can experience Tuesday night at the UCB by listening to Doug Loves Movies and then Put Your Hands Together. I recommend it.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I just had a possibly terrifying realization: I AM Pete Holmes. That thing where he makes a joke and then says I don't know why we're not all laughing at it? I do that, albeit not as aggressively. I have issues with formerly being a christian but now an atheist. I put women on pedestals. I'm not a boob guy but I'm sure I have an equivalent of his being embarrassed by a well-endowed girlfriend showing off their goods but being attracted to other women showing off their goods. That was a weird sentence. I do terrible impressions (Don Pardo is my goto). No Country for Old Men is my There Will Be Blood.

AND I JUST MADE IT WEIRD.

e: also I get super loud when drunk/high/whatever even though I'm an introvert.

e2: I also think blonde people with beards are kings. And I want to know if Pierce knows where the beers are.

e3: and I would gladly hatefriend Chelsea Peretti

e4: AND I DRINK WINE! OH MY GOD EMILY

Also you're a narcissist who thinks everybody finds your neuroses fascinating, just like Pete Holmes! Plus you aren't funny! I'm seeing double here!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Also you're a narcissist who thinks everybody finds your neuroses fascinating, just like Pete Holmes! Plus you aren't funny! I'm seeing double here!

HEY

That wasn't a very nice thing to say.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't find his neuroses so funny, but I think his behavior on Doug Loves Movies is very funny.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Hey man, it's a free post!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't find his neuroses so funny, but I think his behavior on Doug Loves Movies is very funny.

I'm usually in this camp too, but I feel like I've started to have my fill of him for a while. He's great in small doses though.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Sorry I irritated you then. I was just trying to make a dumb post about my tenuous similarities to a podcast host in the style I think he'd write if he were a poster here. I don't think I'm funny and I definitely don't think there's anything interesting about me, let alone fascinating.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pete Holmes is a fantastic stand-up and seems a like a genuinely nice dude. But he also seems like the most insufferable person ever and I would caution you from comparing yourself to him. I subscribe to YMIW but in 2012 it dropped from essential listening because WHO HAS THE TIME to listen 150 minute-long podcasts about THE SAME TOPICS every time. I saw one was uploaded in January that broke 3 hours. I'm sure there were some awesome conversations about how Pete lost his religion for the umpteenth time or how There Will Be Blood was a good movie.

I did listen to the latest YMIW which was funny. But the best part was hearing both Kumail and Emily loudly sigh when Pete said they should stop talking about a subject because it was "too showbizzy." Chelsea posted on Instagram pictures of him wearing sunglasses inside a restaurant at Sundance and I was like "yeah that makes sense"

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 12, 2013

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
Whatever you think of Pete Holmes's personality (personally I love it on DLM, tolerate it on YMIW) his standup is loving hilarious. I was at the taping for his special in Austin and I nearly pissed myself. Looking forward to whenever it is released on Comedy Central so I can watch it again.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Homeless Wonder posted:

Whatever you think of Pete Holmes's personality (personally I love it on DLM, tolerate it on YMIW) his standup is loving hilarious.

Agreed. I saw him during JFL42 (for the first time) and thought he was so funny that I went and saw him again later in the week.

I'm listening to the YMIW with Todd Glass and it's not a bad one but it's definitely reminding me why I don't listen to the show much anymore. They're covering topics I've heard Pete cover a bunch of times and I'm only 60 minutes into a 150 minute show.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Double postin'

http://www.backstage.com/news/podcasters-prepare-war-against-podcast-patent-owner-personal-audio/

This is really hosed up. I remember listening to a This American Life episode about patent trolls a while ago. Basically they get a patent on something incredibly vague, because a technology is so new that the patent office doesn't ask the right clarifying questions, and then sue anyone who does anything remotely similar to the patent. A "system for disseminating media content representing episodes in a serialized sequence" is barely a sentence, much less something that should have a patent.

I know Ullrich posts here (though maybe only reads the Earwolf thread?) but I am wondering how much people are willing to discuss this.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
At least it's from 1996, so podcasting should enter the public domain in 2016.

I wonder what podcasts Tupac listened to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A question only podcast nerds would come up with: Which hosts are the pitchmen during commercials? If I'm driving or doing the dishes, I won't fast-forward commercials.

I give the title of best pitchmen to the Sklars. I feel like they were 1920s boardwalk salesmen in red and white striped suits in another life. Worst is Kulap whenever she does a "voice." Her Jackee sounds like someone drowning, not a sassy black woman.

And, have any of you ever used Legal Zoom or Stamps.com?

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

A question only podcast nerds would come up with: Which hosts are the pitchmen during commercials? If I'm driving or doing the dishes, I won't fast-forward commercials.

I give the title of best pitchmen to the Sklars. I feel like they were 1920s boardwalk salesmen in red and white striped suits in another life. Worst is Kulap whenever she does a "voice." Her Jackee sounds like someone drowning, not a sassy black woman.

Kulap's just doing random annoying baby voices at this point, but she revealed a couple of weeks ago that she had been taking animation voice-over classes. I'm guessing she was practicing?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Poopy Palpy posted:

At least it's from 1996, so podcasting should enter the public domain in 2016.

I wonder what podcasts Tupac listened to.

The article mentions it was renewed in 2012.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Binowru posted:

The article mentions it was renewed in 2012.

I think that just means that they got it to cover something in 2012 that it didn't in 1996. Patents aren't like copyright, you can't just extend them forever.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
What, did they invent RSS and basic server technology? I don't get it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Goose Halo posted:

What, did they invent RSS and basic server technology? I don't get it.

The patent office has no idea what it's doing with technology, so when someone invents the internet and someone else invents the mouse, you can file a form that says, "when you click on something on a website, something happens," and they'll agree that that's an innovative, non-obvious idea.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The patent troll thing doesn't sound like it has legs at first, but you have to keep in mind these guys won a settlement against Apple involving a playlist patent not that long ago: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-08/apple-told-to-pay-8-million-in-patent-trial-over-ipod-playlists.html

It will be interesting to see how far this goes. I'd be surprised if it has much impact overall, it's pretty obvious they're just after money so I'd assume they'd quit after they hit a couple of the big podcasts. Adam Carolla's and HowStuffWorks are two of the current targets. Hopefully their lawyers will put up enough of a fight to stop the whole thing in its tracks, but patent litigation seems like a really byzantine system so who knows what will happen.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm a fan of Scott Aukerman's lately. They're so emphatic you feel compelled to do whatever he tells you! And they build to a real sense of urgency. Listen, YOU NEED TO VISIT STAMPS DOT COM WHERE YOU CAN PRINT POSTAGE USING YOUR OWN COMPUTER!

Howard Kremer's done some really bizarre ones that make Kulap laugh, which is contagious. The most recent I've heard was from Who Charted a few weeks ago, for no discernible reason he was doing some kind of old Jewish guy or something and it was inexplicably funny.

Adam Carolla's feel really smooth, he's done so much radio that he's got the patter down really well and he puts his own stink on them to make it slightly more entertaining. His are also the easiest for me to zone out if I'm not able to fast forward.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 13, 2013

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
It's MBMBAM, this isn't even a question let alone a discussion.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm a fan of Scott Aukerman's lately. They're so emphatic you feel compelled to do whatever he tells you! And they build to a real sense of urgency. Listen, YOU NEED TO VISIT STAMPS DOT COM WHERE YOU CAN PRINT POSTAGE USING YOUR OWN COMPUTER!

See, to me, his bonobos cry sounds like that Mancini's Sleep world mascot with the dead eyes.

But the worst has to be Kevin Smith where he puts a beat on and talks about a bird in a trucker voice for ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ograbme posted:

It's MBMBAM, this isn't even a question let alone a discussion.

This is the correct answer. I'm like, the least kinky person in the world, but drat if I don't want to buy a buttplug whenever they do their Extreme Restraints ads.

• Locked thread