Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'd never considered who will actually live or die by the end of the story (OotS ending has always seemed a rather distant prospect). With Belkar and Durkon set to expire, and V not having the best chances of survival, who of Roy, Elan and Haley will make it out? Narratively it wouldn't be too unusual for Roy to bite it in order to defeat Xykon once and for all, so it might just be Elan and Haley who survive.

I don't think we're all that close to the end. We're certainly more than halfway there, but events at this gate have to resolve (maybe the fiends will take over V here, maybe not) and then there's one more after this. I can imagine, however, the comic will finish with the destruction of Xykon; Redcloak's plans going entirely off the rails, because the rifts and the Snarl aren't completely understood; Durkon and Belkar having died (one heroically, one in an utterly stupid and anticlimactic way); Elan and Haley retiring from adventuring; and Roy putting together a new team (perhaps with V) and going off to investigate what he thinks is the hiding place of Xykon's phylactery. That extradimensional fortress provides a nice plausible way to have Roy continue having adventures while letting the readers know that the main story (the defeat of Xykon) is done.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

jng2058 posted:

Elan gets a happy ending, per prophecy. While it might just be possible to see a definition of happy where Roy dies nobly, I can't see Elan being willing to lose Haley and still consider it a "happy ending." Therefore, I'm going with:

Elan and Haley almost certainly alive.

Roy probably alive.

A happy ending for Elan could also mean -him- dying, if it means he gets to save Haley, too. Since it's happy for him and not necessarily for others, I think that option's still on the table.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Niton posted:

A happy ending for Elan could also mean -him- dying, if it means he gets to save Haley, too. Since it's happy for him and not necessarily for others, I think that option's still on the table.

HmmMMmm. :raise:

Yeah, maybe. Rich is a sneaky son of a bitch, so I could see him pulling something like that. Still, I consider it of relatively small probability.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

jng2058 posted:

HmmMMmm. :raise:

Yeah, maybe. Rich is a sneaky son of a bitch, so I could see him pulling something like that. Still, I consider it of relatively small probability.

He specifically mentions this possibility in the books. It's one of the reasons he immediately followed Elan's prophecy with a scene of Durkon getting joyfully tearful at the news that he'll return to Dwarven lands after he dies; 'happy endings' are a matter of personal perspective.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Belkar could "die" by getting sucked into the snarl when it is inevitably destoryed at the end of this arc. He still wouldn't have any use for his IRA, he'd draw his last breath on this world, if the snarlverse sucks he wouldn't get much in the way of birthday cakes, etc. Then, if the whole order gets sucked in at the final arc they could meet up with him again.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

He specifically mentions this possibility in the books. It's one of the reasons he immediately followed Elan's prophecy with a scene of Durkon getting joyfully tearful at the news that he'll return to Dwarven lands after he dies; 'happy endings' are a matter of personal perspective.
I'll be surprised if either Elan or Haley die for good, but the phrasing of that prophecy as a happy ending specifically from Elan's point of view suggests some kind of twist that might be bittersweet for anyone who doesn't share Elan's view of the dramatic.

If Elan dies though that would probably mean a scenario where nearly all the Order dies, and that feels like too much of a downer ending for this comic.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ashcans posted:

Mostly if Belkar does kick it in a final sense, I wonder if they would replace him in the party and with who.

I could see Malack replacing him, for a little while at least. He really doesn't like Nale.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wonder if they'd run into those two lizardman kidnappers again. They got an odd amount of character development for people who essentially didn't end up doing anything. Come to think of it, they'll probably have to wrap stuff up with Haley's dad too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'll be surprised if either Elan or Haley die for good, but the phrasing of that prophecy as a happy ending specifically from Elan's point of view suggests some kind of twist that might be bittersweet for anyone who doesn't share Elan's view of the dramatic.

Not sure if the "view of the dramatic" would really apply in determining what would be a happy ending from Elan's perspective.

He's already ignored bardic traditions and seeking what's dramatically appropriate in the past for the sake of wanting a happy ending with Haley.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Belkar is going to regard the Blood War as his eternal reward for a life well-lived.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pope Guilty posted:

Belkar is going to regard the Blood War as his eternal reward for a life well-lived.
That is, of course, assuming the IFFC doesn't accomplish their "united evil outsiders" goal.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Considering Mortals can turn into Fiends in 3.5, and that most of the ultra-powerful fiends in the lore were originally mortal villains or psychotic evil adventurers, I'm betting the IFCC's plans might be undone by an upstart, diminutive demon who thinks that fighting in hell forever is way cooler then invading heaven.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Come to think of it, they'll probably have to wrap stuff up with Haley's dad too.
I think the last time we saw him was when he made an escape into the desert saying he knew people who could help them out, wasn't it? Because at the time I took that to mean he had connections to the Draketooth clan but that's apparently not the case and now I'm really wondering about that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
He could still show up there if that was the case. Ian & Co didn't have flying carpets or any other travel magic, so even with a head start it could take quite a while for them to reach the Gate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Niton posted:

Yes, I think this is a possibility as well - although to be a happy ending instead of acceptable one, it would also require that Elan saves her in the most dramatic fashion possible and probably kills his father and evil brother at the same go.

Oh, and in general thwarting the plans of the evil forces, because what happiness would there be if you knew that Haley might get killed a few hours later by Xykon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
At the least, I think we can say that Elan or Haley are almost certain to survive, with both of them making it out together being pretty close behind as well. Also that Belkar's dying in some form or another. Beyond that, it's a lot of speculation really, though some guesses are better than others. Heck, we don't even know that Durkon's dying before the end of the adventure, just that it'll be before he goes home (though he is probably the best bet for person who's going to die apart from Belkar).

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe that I just figured out Serini's gate is probably in the Dwarven Lands then.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It did double as a tomb for her dwarf buddy, after all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ShadowCatboy posted:

I can't believe that I just figured out Serini's gate is probably in the Dwarven Lands then.

Roy outright says Kraagor's gate is up in the north when they visit the Oracle.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Say how about this for a fitting death for Belkar? He dies saving Mr Scruffy from something when they're alone somewhere together, so no one else sees or knows about it and his dying words are some sort of joke about how at least no one will ever know that he died performing a quasi-good act.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like the idea of somebody doing a spell that targets alignments and Belkar not responding as an Evil character, and being really confused.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I like the idea of somebody doing a spell that targets alignments and Belkar not responding as an Evil character, and being really confused.

Does 3.5 still have that rule where if you change alignment you need to earn double XP for the next level?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sfwarlock posted:

Does 3.5 still have that rule where if you change alignment you need to earn double XP for the next level?

That isn't a rule I ever heard of. Which means it was probably dropped in the transition from 2.0 to 3.0

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

sfwarlock posted:

One of the older versions had you take half-experience for the adventure.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ikanreed posted:

That isn't a rule I ever heard of. Which means it was probably dropped in the transition from 2.0 to 3.0

1st ed DMG: "... the character concerned will lose one level of experience, dropping experience points to take him or her to the very beginning of the next lower level"

2nd ed DMG: "...the experience point cost to gain the next level (or levels in the case of multi-class characters) is doubled..."

I'm not familiar enough with 3rd ed to look it up there (I haven't even read all the way through my copy of the 3.0 DMG.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only relevant stuff about changing alignment in 3.5 I can find is in the DMG, page 134.

DMG 3.5 posted:

Changing Alignment
A character can have a change of heart that leads to the adoption of a different alignment. Alignments aren't commitments, except in specific cases (such as for paladins and clerics). Player characters have free will, and their actions often dictate a change of alignment. Here are two examples of how a change of alignment can be handled.

:words:

Most characters incur no game penalty for changing alignment, but you should keep a few points in mind.

You're in Control: You control alignment changes, not the players. If a player says, "My neutral good character becomes chaotic good," the appropriate response from you is, "Prove it." Actions dictate alignment, not statements of intent by players.

Alignment Change is Gradual: Changes in alignment should not be drastic. Usually, a character changes alignment only one step at a time - from lawful evil to lawful neutral, for example, and not directly to neutral good. A character on her way to adopting another alignment might have other alignments during the transition to the final alignment.

Time Requirements: Changing alignment usually takes time. Changes of heart are rarely sudden (although they can be). What you want to avoid is a player changing her character's alignment to evil to use an evil artifact properly and then changing it right back when she's done. Alignments aren't garments you can take off and put on casually. Require an interval of at least a week of game time between alignment changes.

Indecisiveness Indicates Neutrality: Wishy-washy characters should just be neutral. If a character changes alignment over and over again during a campaign, what's really happened is that the character hasn't made a choice, and thus she is neutral.

Exceptions: There are exceptions to all of the above. For instances, it's possible (although unlikely) that the most horrible neutral evil villain has a sudden and dramatic change of heart and immediately becomes neutral good.

So yeah, as far as I can tell, there's no experience penalties for alignment changes. I might have missed something somewhere else, but that's all I could find looking it up in the index.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm having a lot of fun imagining say, a ranger having a shift in moral values and just twanging arrows left and right, completely unable to hit anything at all.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Elan's happy ending: His father ends up re-married to his mother and they adopt Roy, thus making Elan and Roy "for real" brothers. Roy gets to live with Elan and Haley and their brood of mini-Elans forever and ever and ever and ever...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Elan's happy ending: His father ends up re-married to his mother

Tarquin's narrative mastery utilized for advertising, his managerial aptitude, and his willingness for more aggressive acquisitions and mergers, combined with his wife's proficiency with being a server, would end up with the family owning every bar, inn, pub, and tavern on the continent without anyone realizing it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
New strip.

Belkar isn't moving anymore. :ohdear:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Brannock posted:

New strip.

Belkar isn't moving anymore. :ohdear:

The best thing about OOTS is that I never quite know if he's going to be cliche or subversive. It's like he flips a coin when he comes to a plot point just to decide if it should go the "usual" route, or if the person in question is going to be genre-savvy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So belkar is entitled to a new save every round, right? We've ever seen him make a will save successfully, but he expressly said he was raging. Malack doesn't seem like the kind to beat around the bush either. If he's going to kill Belkar, he'll pull a harm/quickened cause wounds next round.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hmmm, I'm guessing that Belkar eats the Harm, then Mr. Scruffy takes the bullet for him on the Inflict Light Wounds, which in turn causes Belkar to Rage out and break the Hold Person.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ikanreed posted:

So belkar is entitled to a new save every round, right? We've ever seen him make a will save successfully, but he expressly said he was raging. Malack doesn't seem like the kind to beat around the bush either. If he's going to kill Belkar, he'll pull a harm/quickened cause wounds next round.
Well for the same reason I think we can assume that if he wanted to kill Belkar he'd have used a save-or-die spell already (plenty of Will-based ones, too).

I'm thinking we might see Belkar ironically compelled into trap-finding duty, or some other highly unpleasant task Malack may need.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

Well for the same reason I think we can assume that if he wanted to kill Belkar he'd have used a save-or-die spell already (plenty of Will-based ones, too).

I'm thinking we might see Belkar ironically compelled into trap-finding duty, or some other highly unpleasant task Malack may need.

If he could pull straight-up save-or-die, he would've done so on Nale. If you mean first round harm/cause, Belkar has a better touch AC and is better at spell disruption, fortitude saves, and melee combat than nale. The way it looks is that Malack had a readied action to hold person if Belkar did anything violent, recognizing a weakness for will saves. Just a guess though.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ikanreed posted:

or he kills Belkar and Mr Scruffy then walks off to find Tarquin after those two rounds

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RickoniX posted:

or he kills Belkar and Mr Scruffy then walks off to find Tarquin after those two rounds

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY HOLE MISTER SCRUFFY WILL NEVER DIE

:ohdear:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Malack is quite possibly an epic level cleric. He can totally wax Belkar right here.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I dunno, if he was epic level then Harm doesn't seem like the first spell he'd pull out against Nale. At the very least he'd break out an Implosion or something for that. I'd guess he's around level 15 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Agreed. He's higher level than any member of the Order, but not yet Epic.