Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fazana posted:

I played a mame and snes emulator on a mates jailbroken ipad3 at the weekend via a classic controller connected to a wiimote and oh my, I am so tempted to sort mine out as well. I know it would never happen with Jobs etc philosophy but if Apple had included bluetooth controller support in the api/os etc from the start we'd be so much better off!

This, to me, is one of the coolest things I've done with my iPad. Emulation on it with a classic controller is so awesome. And a classic controller + wiimote makes for a great, relatively cheap controller.

Are the good emulators (the .emu ones) still on the cydia store? I remember them getting taken down because of some paymet problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanadianBasketball
Feb 19, 2003

BrainDance posted:

This, to me, is one of the coolest things I've done with my iPad. Emulation on it with a classic controller is so awesome. And a classic controller + wiimote makes for a great, relatively cheap controller.

Are the good emulators (the .emu ones) still on the cydia store? I remember them getting taken down because of some paymet problem.

You cannot buy them directly from the Cydia store at the moment because of PayPal problems. You have to send the developer the money for the emulators through Amazon Payments via the donation page on his website. He then manually sends you the Cydia license for the software, where you can then download/update it.

junglistvip
Nov 30, 2010

KGBAgent185 posted:

I'm in now thanks! In as DrowningRabbit. I just lost my first battle apparently. Getting attacked with 100+ goblins was enough to activate the shield.

Welcome! I think it works like this:

- You 'lose' if the opponent scores a star against you.
- You get 1 star for destroying the town hall, 1 star for destroying 50% of the buildings and 1 star for destroying everything.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

BrainDance posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to use a PS3 controller since those are bluetooth already?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

For anyone who doesn't get freebie alerts from the TA app, Super Monsters Ate My Condo just went free. It's a pretty good quick puzzle game from Adult Swim.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

El Hefe posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to use a PS3 controller since those are bluetooth already?

Maybe, I use the classic controller because it's what I already have.

Although I've never seen the option for a ps3 controller in an ios emulator. It's all usually labelled like "scan for wiimote" or icade. But of course I've never looked for it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think PS3 controllers have some weird proprietary thing going on? I'd like to use one with my PC too, but I have to spoof my computer to make it think it's a 360 controller to make it work with any games. They have some kind of driver incompatibility.

IzzyNobre
Dec 8, 2005

Long live Mario

BGrifter posted:

Could be, I only gave it a very brief look and decided I wasn't interested in doing the legwork. Seems like it should be possible, I think someone in the TA thread said they had Daggerfall running playable but not stellar.

I wonder if there is a way for the GOG guys to sell the titles they have bundled with a pre configured DOS emulator on the App Store. I'd love to buy easy to setup iPad copies of Ultima 3-5, M&M 3-5, all those old school Sierra adventure games, even if they were a little clunky.

This has been my dream for a while, an iOS GOG wrapper emulator. I doubt it'll ever happen -- not to mention that most games don't lend themselves to a touchscreen control scheme anyway :(

IzzyNobre fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 12, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
My favorite is Techno Kitten Adventure

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

triplexpac posted:

I think PS3 controllers have some weird proprietary thing going on? I'd like to use one with my PC too, but I have to spoof my computer to make it think it's a 360 controller to make it work with any games. They have some kind of driver incompatibility.

There is a third-party driver for PC at least for SixAxis Controllers. But I don't know of any standardization for it as of yet. :(

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Psion posted:

hey why can't I share my game results once a day for punchos anymore :(

It's limited to 20 times per update or so. Should be doing another update this month

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wasn't there a Kairosoft thread? Or did that fall into the archives?

If its gone I might take a shot at making an OP tonight.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Finished Little Inferno today and it was well worth the price. The ending was pretty incredible. Anyone play World of Goo? I haven't seen much talk about it and always made an excuse not to buy it but Little Inferno and World of Goo look to go hand-in-hand. This thread ends up costing me so much money :ohdear:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
What is with the massive amount of troop requests in the clash of the clans clan? I opened it quick to gather resources and I see 11 new messages, all were requests for troops.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Finished Little Inferno today and it was well worth the price. The ending was pretty incredible. Anyone play World of Goo? I haven't seen much talk about it and always made an excuse not to buy it but Little Inferno and World of Goo look to go hand-in-hand. This thread ends up costing me so much money :ohdear:

I haven't played Little Inferno yet, but World of Goo is fantastic.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Froist posted:

Has this changed now? It used to be the case that an app could schedule local notifications (but not push) without the permission dialog ever appearing, and you couldn't disable these through the system settings. I've definitely installed a game since iOS 6 that's been sending me "you're neglecting me" local notifications without ever asking me, but looking now it does appear in the Notification Center settings to be disabled.

It's got a lot better in iOS 6 with the do not disturb features, but I still generally say no to push notifications unless I can think of a reason I'd want that game notifying me of anything.

Really? Everything I've seen regarding notifications is that everything is pretty much identical on a base level, and they go out of their way to talk about how Remote and Local notifications are identical from a user's point of view. I will admit that I haven't sat down and attempted to schedule Locals with notifs disabled on my kit, though.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've been playing SongPop with a friend of mine for the past two weeks. We've exhausted ourselves on it and can't play any more.

Are there any decent turn-based games we can play?

edit: Not Words With Friends or Drawsome.

psylent fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 13, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Yes, yes the do. If you liked LI, get Goo!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

psylent posted:

I've been playing SongPop with a friend of mine for the past two weeks. We've exhausted ourselves on it and can't play any more.

Letterpress is pretty good and the strategy element is simple yet deep.

Edit: also, Questlord looks like it's going to scratch that old-timey RPG itch I've had.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 13, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Abugadu posted:

Letterpress is pretty good and the strategy element is simple yet deep.
I'll give it a go. I'm usually a bit crap at word games and my friend is a writer. I'm going to assume he's going to spank me hard.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

psylent posted:

I'll give it a go. I'm usually a bit crap at word games and my friend is a writer. I'm going to assume he's going to spank me hard.

While having a big vocab helps, it's more like a chess match of locking down letters, gradually expanding your locked territory, etc.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

psylent posted:

Get Carcassonne! And/or come over to the board games thread and get some other classics. I've probably put more hours into Carcassonne than any other iOS app.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I decided to bite the bullet and made a Kairosoft megathread. Please come post in it, maybe? I don't want to be a failure. :smith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533605

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I just started playing the Simpsons game and would like to add some people. In as confonnit.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Lawen posted:

For anyone who doesn't get freebie alerts from the TA app, Super Monsters Ate My Condo just went free. It's a pretty good quick puzzle game from Adult Swim.

I'm pretty sure this game gave me a seizure. T'was fun though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

KGBAgent185 posted:

What is with the massive amount of troop requests in the clash of the clans clan? I opened it quick to gather resources and I see 11 new messages, all were requests for troops.

Well, you're a member of a clan and your clanmates have requested troops for their clan castles, as should you. This is pretty normal? With the latest update you can see how many troops each member of your clan has donated. Give troops unless you're the only one, in which case find a different clan.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

TACD posted:

Get Carcassonne! And/or come over to the board games thread and get some other classics. I've probably put more hours into Carcassonne than any other iOS app.
Will do, is it good for just 2 people?

ecchisedibles
Sep 18, 2009
It's perfect for 2 people.

It's honestly the benchmark of ios boardgames and maybe even ios games in general.

ecchisedibles fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 13, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

triplexpac posted:

That's not quite it, Microsoft controllers have a weird proprietary thing going on and PS3 controllers have to pretend they're 360 controllers because everything has support for the 360 pad support now.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

So, uh, I did a thing:

From

to

In one day. Turns out there's an exploit.

If you're having trouble with the bottlenecks (time or money or plutonium):

Turns out if you move a building, there's an additive gold/second increase, which means if you take your most expensive building and move it back and forth, your gold per second will increase dramatically. If, for some reason, you also have the gene pool, you can buy plutonium for 2 mil per try, which also lets you bypass timers.

I actually found this out because I'm a huge sperg and like moving my buildings around to be most aesthetically pleasing, and in doing so ended up with 1.5x my reported gold per second. I assumed it was just a bug but when I logged in the next day, my gold per second was exactly what it was reported as.

So, uh, yeah.

It makes the game kinda boring though. I'm at 301 land and 90 mil right now. :|

tl;dr:

Get your most expensive building and move it back and forth between the same two places, and watch your gold per second go UP, UP, UP.

I stopped at 250k/second because it was late and I wanted to go to bed.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Colbear posted:

So, uh, I did a thing

This explains a lot. I was trying to reconcile the cps reported in the Business Center with what I was earning last night. My best guess was maybe the trees were giving more than they said but hadn't tried letting buildings go idle and just collecting trees to check it yet.

I've also rearranged my city a lot as well, to try and keep it laid out correctly. Got a central forest/massive park in the middle of everything to idle on and collect tree money.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Real Racing 3 appears to be heading to the NZ appstore even though its release date was down as the 28th?

Aha, apparently it's out in NZ, Australia and Canada today/tonight with a worldwide launch on the 28th. Time to make an NZ account I guess!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 13, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It's not out in Australia yet. :australia:

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks that the Subway Rushers icon is a blatant rip of the Jetpack Joyride icon?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Colbear posted:

So, uh, I did a thing:

From

to

In one day. Turns out there's an exploit.

If you're having trouble with the bottlenecks (time or money or plutonium):

Turns out if you move a building, there's an additive gold/second increase, which means if you take your most expensive building and move it back and forth, your gold per second will increase dramatically. If, for some reason, you also have the gene pool, you can buy plutonium for 2 mil per try, which also lets you bypass timers.

I actually found this out because I'm a huge sperg and like moving my buildings around to be most aesthetically pleasing, and in doing so ended up with 1.5x my reported gold per second. I assumed it was just a bug but when I logged in the next day, my gold per second was exactly what it was reported as.

So, uh, yeah.

It makes the game kinda boring though. I'm at 301 land and 90 mil right now. :|

tl;dr:

Get your most expensive building and move it back and forth between the same two places, and watch your gold per second go UP, UP, UP.

I stopped at 250k/second because it was late and I wanted to go to bed.
For some reason, moving my buildings around didn't do anything to my cps. I guess it only works for some people.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

psylent posted:

It's not out in Australia yet. :australia:

If you were looking under Firemint (like I was for a while) it is listed under Electronic Arts, I eventually found it there after asking on the TA forum.

1.8gig install size, already complaints about the IAP over there. Downloading now and will give a brief road trip (haha! *coughs*) later.

Edit:

Well, I'm not sure they thought through you needing to take a two minute wait when you buy your very first car, that's a hell of a first impression! I'm typing this as I wait 15 minutes for my oil to be refreshed after managing 5 races or so... The preview on TA said once you have more than one car the wait times don't feel anywhere near as bad but for you to be hanging around like this so early isn't great.

If they want you to spam Facebook they could at least reward for it like Asphalt 7 did. Also the "Watch this video to earn IAP currency" didn't work so I sat through a terrible Lynx ad for nothing.

As far as the driving goes, well, it seems as good as the last version. It was one of my main early ipad purchases which probably didn't get the playtime it merited so it will take other people than I to suggest if this has a lot more tracks, cars etc and how it compares that way. The early signs are that it will be a decent racing title but I hope I can save the coins up to buy a second car asap.

Edit 2:

Well after another few races my car was looking fairly beat up in all of the categories so I put it in for servicing for each part. The car will be ready to use again in 6 hours 14 minutes. I can of course use IAP currency to fix it now. You get 20 to start off with and I got 5 more for reaching driver level 2. It wants 14 currency points to remove 6 hours of repair time.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 13, 2013

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
8 gigs? gently caress that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

8 gigs? gently caress that.

If you're responding to the previous post, he said 1.8 gig, not 8 gig.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

JazzFlight posted:

For some reason, moving my buildings around didn't do anything to my cps. I guess it only works for some people.
Watch the number in the top right, not the numbers coming out your buildings or the info in the Business Centre. Backgrounding the app will kill the bonus, as will something in the app that I haven't put my finger on (I think it's either buying or moving residences. Possibly earning Surprises). I got mine up to about 25k a second and earned a 70 mil land upgrade whilst eating lunch.

Based purely on observational guesswork, i'm guessing that when you move a building it does some horribly unoptimised stuff that makes it drop a bunch of frames, and rather than fix this they try to account for it in the next update tick by rebalancing the payout for what you missed, and then never stops giving you this bonus amount. And you can stack it.

Reminds me of the "hammer the button to get the payout over and over" trick from Tiny Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

MissMarple posted:

Based purely on observational guesswork, i'm guessing that when you move a building it does some horribly unoptimised stuff that makes it drop a bunch of frames
Yeah, definitely something to do with the game's clock, when I left the game I got spammed to poo poo with notifications about new clones arriving. To the point I had to shut down my ipad to stop them from repeating.

• Locked thread