Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That is what I meant and I am glad I didn't go, with a co-worker or not. goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
No one should ever go to Pattaya, ever, for any reason. Pass it on.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Put that in the O.P., actually.

Avoid Pattaya. Unless you like to diddle kiddies.

Note: if you get shanked in Pattaya, nobody will come to your assistance.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm digging Manila's armed guards. Going to 7/11? Yep, dude with a Colt .45 just making sure everything's cool. Outside my hotel? Three armed guards, one with an attack dog. Malls have guys with M16s patrolling. Feels pretty cyberpunk.

Oh and Ska: I ran out of pesos on my prepaid SIM. Text you back once I figure out how to load na dito or whatever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I like the guys who lean casually on the shotguns, or point them at the customers accidentally and constantly while they're gabbing.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Just booked tickets to get from Bangkok to KO Tao, getting in Thursday morning. Any recommendations for a cheap hostel at sairee so I can bum about for a few days before diving? And anyone up for a goon meet?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I always liked the irony in Filipinos using 1911s. People using a caliber designed specifically to kill them :haw:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

G-Hawk posted:

Just booked tickets to get from Bangkok to KO Tao, getting in Thursday morning. Any recommendations for a cheap hostel at sairee so I can bum about for a few days before diving? And anyone up for a goon meet?

If you want to do any diving, PM me the details of your arrival (your irl name, date of arrival, which ferry you are taking including the time you get on the ferry) or text me at 0843245946 and I can send you a taxi from the dive shop where I work, New Way. We're at 2 goons here right now (plus me)!

Prik Thai has rooms as cheap as 250 baht/night, but those are usually always booked up. 300 baht/night dorms are plentiful. 400 baht can get you guesthouses inland (Kanokwan Guesthouse, for instance), 600 baht can get you bungalows right near the beach (Prik Thai if you want to be right in the middle of Sairee, Bow Thong or Mama OChai if you want to be within about 2 minutes' walk from Sairee but not in the thick of it).

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
It's my second last night on Koh Tao and I should be busily chasing sluts at Lotus but I just can't be bothered.

Also... I dove a rebreather yesterday (in the office bar pool :barf: ) and I am hooked. I see one in my future... maybe not when I come back later this year, but eventually.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Since I live near Bangkok, I'm going to pretend "Lotus" refers to a Tesco store.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Since I live near Bangkok, I'm going to pretend "Lotus" refers to a Tesco store.

It's a beach bar for backpackers, nothing icky.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bai loTAHHH

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Finally arrived in Singapore and the city seems to be half shut-down on holiday. My work told me to meet a guy in "the McDonalds in the big mall on Orchard Road".

I think this is it: the worst directions ever given. It's almost art.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And this is Singapore, the efficient country. Wait until you deal with Thai or Khmer or Lao directions. Concepts like cardinal directions and maps are pretty much non-existent. Here it's like the smallest old rural Texas town where you still get directions to "take a left at the haning' tree."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Finally arrived in Singapore and the city seems to be half shut-down on holiday. My work told me to meet a guy in "the McDonalds in the big mall on Orchard Road".

I think this is it: the worst directions ever given. It's almost art.

You have no idea the horrible directions you are about to encounter.

In Thailand (and most of the rest of the region) if a stranger asks you for directions and you don't know his destination (or don't understand him) it is customary to gesture in a random direction and say "That way!" instead of saying "I don't know!" because saying I don't know might mean you're not smart and you wouldn't want to seem dumb would you? ^ ___ ^

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
'a big mall on orchard road' is like 'a specially bent piece of hay in a city of haystacks'. I have never seen this many malls and I've never seen a city road this long. It took me twenty minutes to cross Paterson Rd because the only way across is via an underground mall that seems to be horribly confusing on purpose. After an hour and a half I found a grumpy man sitting outside McDonalds with the biggest "you're late" scowl I've ever seen. It was the very last mall on Orchard Road. The very last one. On the plus side, I saw a monkey. I've never seen a monkey outside a zoo before and this one was just chilling in a tree outside a major shopping centre.

Also, durians are great.

"I have never seen this many" seems to be a running thing I've got going right now. I did grow up in rural New Zealand but still this is madness.

Does anyone know what the jungle-y bit about halfway down Orchard Road with a heavy police guard around it is?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

If you mean the place with the armed guard near Dhoby Ghaut, it's the Prime Ministers office

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Anybody in Nha Trang tonight wanna meet up? Let me know!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I live in a town 30 minutes away from Kuala Lumpur and during any major national holiday we have to suffer the traffic. Is KL still congested with cars more so than usual today?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

kru posted:

If you mean the place with the armed guard near Dhoby Ghaut, it's the Prime Ministers office

I worked with his daughter a few summers ago. She's cute and was nicer than you might assume a rich SE Asian politician's daughter would be. I totally didn't realize who she was for at least the first month either, despite my job at the time being specifically SEA-politics related. I don't know if that says more about his daughter's ability to be normal or my obliviousness...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Sitting at the gate on a Hawaiian Airlines flight to Manila. They asked me for proof of onward travel not at check in or anywhere until I got to the gate itself and was trying to pre board. Every time I fly with these guys it becomes more and more of a hassle.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

FordPRefectLL posted:

Sitting at the gate on a Hawaiian Airlines flight to Manila. They asked me for proof of onward travel not at check in or anywhere until I got to the gate itself and was trying to pre board. Every time I fly with these guys it becomes more and more of a hassle.

So.. did they make you purchase a ticket right there from Haiwaiian Airlines? I'd imagine you don't have too much time as you're pre-border right there.

Also, where are you departing from?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

lol internet. posted:

So.. did they make you purchase a ticket right there from Haiwaiian Airlines? I'd imagine you don't have too much time as you're pre-border right there.

Also, where are you departing from?

Departing from Honolulu. I had to look up my reservation on my phone and show it to the guy but if I weren't so wired in I'd have had more trouble. Now we are delayed because half this filipino family's passports are expired and they are throwing a fit.

EDIT: And they didn't catch the passports were expired til we had all boarded.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Manila's Ninoy Aquino airport is a mess. I went through five or six checkpoints leaving yesterday, and they have this system where you have to pay the airport fee in cash right before customs. I had cleverly planned everything and spent most of my pesos, so I actually had to change Hong Kong dollars at a terrible rate right there to pay the fee. Aren't they supposed to bill that to the airline who includes it in the ticket price? Really frustrating.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Bloodnose posted:

Manila's Ninoy Aquino airport is a mess. I went through five or six checkpoints leaving yesterday, and they have this system where you have to pay the airport fee in cash right before customs. I had cleverly planned everything and spent most of my pesos, so I actually had to change Hong Kong dollars at a terrible rate right there to pay the fee. Aren't they supposed to bill that to the airline who includes it in the ticket price? Really frustrating.

You should see their domestic terminal, which is a 15-30 minute drive away.

Ninoy is by far the crappiest airport I've been to in Asia. It's still not as bad as Malaga was in 2006 (maybe its better now?).

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

TheLizard posted:

You should see their domestic terminal, which is a 15-30 minute drive away.

I think my experience in the domestic terminal getting from Manila to Puerto Princesa was worse than the endless van ride from PP to El Nido. Such a terrible, disorganized place.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

My friend is flying into BKK on Sunday and I am flying in a coupla hours later. We are planning on meeting at the airport and proceeding to the hotel together. Is there an easily found/recognised landmark in the airport we she could wait till I meet her there? Otherwise I might just say wait at my gate.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

unixbeard posted:

My friend is flying into BKK on Sunday and I am flying in a coupla hours later. We are planning on meeting at the airport and proceeding to the hotel together. Is there an easily found/recognised landmark in the airport we she could wait till I meet her there? Otherwise I might just say wait at my gate.

Years ago when I was departing Bangkok I'd forgotten I had an extending police baton in my pack (I used it to threaten the vicious soi dogs away while I was staying at a remote bungalow on Koh Phangan -- these days however that bungalow operation isn't at all remote any more and the dogs are gone). At the airport they were like "Hey do you have something in your pack" and I was like "Noooooo I don't think so" and they said "Well what's this?" and I was like "Oh yeah! Haha, sorry, just chuck it in the trash." This was at Don Muang when it was the main international airport.

During my last trip at the new airport I noticed a glass display case near check-in that had a bunch of prohibited items in it with suggestions that you should not try to board with these things in your pack. Sitting on the top shelf was my baton.

So you should meet at Sheep-Goats' baton.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Glad to help out, sorry we couldn't meet. Next time, though!

Traveling to/from Manila is always a hassle, in part due to Philippines' super-strict visa requirements, in part becuase it's unofficially a safe haven. (in their defense, they're trying to crack down on this, which is good for Pres. Aquino)

CronoGamer is right though, the bus ride is by far the worse choice. Although I heard plenty of good things about Puerto Princesa?

:ssh: there's two tricks for getting through NAIA.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I found this video and thought it'd be funny to post it because the song is super cheesy but then I watched it and immediatly wanted to quit my loving job and move back over. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAJt5XVT2MU

Goddamn TAT :argh:

raton fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 14, 2013

nugzseeker 2
Feb 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, I moved to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, probably to stay for at least a couple of years. I'm liking it so far, im slowly getting braver with street food and I've stopped noticing the smell so much.

I've got a couple of questions I was hoping someone who knows the place could help me with.

Are there are gyms in Siam Square? According to google there should be one at the top of the Paragon Mall, but I went today and it appears to be being renovated/converted into a Fitness First, with no notice of when it will open up.

Second, when I want to say hello in a shop, am I supposed to say satwadee? I noticed shopkeepers don't say this, they say something that sounds like "sarriva". I think im going to have to take thai classes, it doesn't seem like a language you can just absorb passively by living here.

One more question, where can I go to find some normal good looking women? I was walking around the paragon mall earlier while looking for a gym, and god drat, there is some hot women here. My company has put me up in a hotel on Asok while I find an apartment, but well its just thousands of prostitutes. Even inside the bars there are prostitutes. Wherever the hot normal girls go, it is not around here.

nugzseeker 2 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 14, 2013

kru
Oct 5, 2003

nugzseeker 2 posted:

well its just thousands of prostitutes. Even inside the bars there are prostitutes. Wherever the hot normal girls go, it is not around here.

I know it's passe' but I had a little laugh. :)

Also: Nugzseeker lol

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FordPRefectLL posted:

Departing from Honolulu. I had to look up my reservation on my phone and show it to the guy but if I weren't so wired in I'd have had more trouble. Now we are delayed because half this filipino family's passports are expired and they are throwing a fit.

EDIT: And they didn't catch the passports were expired til we had all boarded.
For reasons that probably make a lot of sense, flying into and out of MNL is one of the only places where I get asked about onward travel. It's not a huge deal because I have long-term visas, but it's still annoying that it happens. Everyone should prepare for it. And, yeah, the Filipino workers who come in and out can cause quite a lot of issues. I've got a lot of sympathy for them (the workers anyway) because they have a Hell of a time overseas in various countries, but when your flight gets delayed or turned around because someone's giving birth or doesn't have their paperwork it does play havoc with the schedule.

Bloodnose posted:

It varies by country. Cambodia just started including the fee in the ticket for most airlines about 2-3 years ago. The Philippines is the only place I ever go anymore where it's not included I think, though they might have charged me in VTE last year, I forget. When you're flying around developing Asia it's best to keep some extra cash on you for sure for this reason.

MNL has several terminals spread miles apart, but the one you'll usually go in and out of, unless you're flying the terrifying PAL, is Centennial if I recall correctly (i.e. the old brown one). The one piece of advice I have is that, if you have up to an hour before your flight, take the deal from the hawkers next to the elevators and go up to the lounge. They'll charge you like $15, but the lounge is a throwback to another era and it's bottomless beer, liquor and food - and I make sure to drink more than $15 worth of poo poo, which is no small order in a country where a bottle of Pale is like 30p, heh.

unixbeard posted:

They have big signs that say "MEETING POINT" in a couple of places, but if you're planning to take the airport rail link you can just meet by the Subway downstairs (sandwich subway). Just follow the signs that say "Train To Town." Otherwise, it's pretty easy to meet around the Starbucks on level 2 or 3, I forget (google it). Everyone knows Starbucks.

nugzseeker 2 posted:

and I've stopped noticing the smell so much.
I still can't believe that I don't even notice this anymore, it was my biggest issue when I first arrived. Now I go home and come back and unless I get a sewer blast, it doesn't even register.

nugzseeker 2 posted:

Are there are gyms in Siam Square? According to google there should be one at the top of the Paragon Mall, but I went today and it appears to be being renovated/converted into a Fitness First, with no notice of when it will open up.
That used to be a California WOW, which is a story in itself. They were started by some American jackass and followed the Bally's ripoff model where they stack up all the "lifetime membership" cash they can and then go bankrupt and the guy flees. There are a bunch of gyms by Asoke. If you want one of the big ones like Fitness First, you can go to the tower caddy corner to Terminal 21. You'll see it, it's the building you have to exit the BTS walkway from. Personally, I'd shop for a more local gym as they tend to be a bit better. You've never seen a country where "put the weight back on the rack" is a more foreign concept, I promise, and the big chain gyms don't give a gently caress about cleanup.

nugzseeker 2 posted:

Second, when I want to say hello in a shop, am I supposed to say satwadee? I noticed shopkeepers don't say this, they say something that sounds like "sarriva". I think im going to have to take thai classes, it doesn't seem like a language you can just absorb passively by living here.
I took classes for three months when I first arrived and have absorbed ever since. Guys like Ringo speak, read and write infinitely more Thai than I do, but you can get by with a few lessons and immersion if my experience is any indication. I can have pretty normal conversations these days unless it gets into history or technical matters (e.g. healthcare, real estate, law, etc). As for what to say, I always say either "sawasdee krab" if I'm new somewhere or "wat dee krab" (familiar version) if I'm a regular. I err way beyond the level of courtesy most Thai people would use and say "khop khun krab" for drat near every interaction, but it never hurts to be extra polite here. Generally speaking, when you enter a shop they'll either use a really abbreviated version of "wat dee" or they'll say "chern krab/ka" which means "come on in!"

nugzseeker 2 posted:

One more question, where can I go to find some normal good looking women? I was walking around the paragon mall earlier while looking for a gym, and god drat, there is some hot women here. My company has put me up in a hotel on Asok while I find an apartment, but well its just thousands of prostitutes. Even inside the bars there are prostitutes. Wherever the hot normal girls go, it is not around here.
Westerners, you need to get into the expat scene, so learn your expat bars - Coyote for ladies night on Wednesdays and poo poo like that. Also, hit up things like the AMCHAM Young Professionals happy hour. For normal Thai women, the easiest route is RCA for university age if you're around that age or Thong Lo & Ekkamai for wealthier young professionals. Beyond that it's harder to stereotype. The corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit is where Soi Cowboy is, so the entire area is crawling with hookers, yeah.

If you plan to stay long-term, my advice would be to not get into a long-term relationship locally until you've figured the country out. One of the first guys I did some work for when I lived here was a gay guy who'd been coming here for 10-20 years every two weeks routinely, and he told me, "This country's bizarre, people fall in love at the drop of a hat." That's a stereotype, but he's basically right. I didn't date anyone local for 2-3 years after I arrived, which is a little extreme, but when you meet the guys in these unhappy relationships that they got into too early you'll see why. Until you've lived here long enough to get the lay of the land, keep it casual or Western is my advice, but recognize that "casual" for you may not be casual for someone else. This is still a country where, unfortunately, women are considered damaged goods in terms of marriage by the local men after 30, so there's a lot of pressure on them to latch on to someone - especially as they near that age. Think of your country in 1950 - that's Thailand (but with a bunch of transgender people and no considerably fewer sheep).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 14, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Skandiaavity posted:

CronoGamer is right though, the bus ride is by far the worse choice. Although I heard plenty of good things about Puerto Princesa?

Umm... I was saying that the airport was far worse than the interminable bus ride. It was really that miserable.

On my way back to Manila we flew via the smaller airline company that operates with the Miniloc and other swanky resorts and it was excellent. MUCH better than going via that garbage dump and the bus ride to boot. Almost didn't reserve our tickets for us though, and my girlfriend and I had to take separate flights since there was only one seat left on each.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On that note, if you can take Cebu Pacific out of Clark you can avoid all the multi-terminal MNL garbage, but, depending on where you are, CLA can be a pain to get to. Also, I just assume a Cebu-Pacific plane is going to fall out of the sky any day now, in spite of it having a pretty good safety record in recent years.

PAL is frightening to fly in my experience. I never flew such a short 747 flight with so many abrupt altitude changes in clear weather. The entire country was put on a blacklist by the EU FAA (EASA?) a few years ago and isn't allowed to land anywhere in the EU last I checked. It is difficult to exaggerate how bad Philippines and Indonesian airlines and pilots are in terms of safety. Entire countries and continents don't just ban other countries out of nowhere. That Thai One-Two-Go crash that made headlines in Phuket a few years ago? Indonesian pilot. I hear Garuda's gotten a lot better, but you won't catch me on any airline from either country. At least the Thais put competent former air force pilots and such on their carriers. In the Philippines, it's basically a vocational school trade. I can't figure out what's wrong with Indonesia, but I also don't care, their safety record speaks for itself in huge, bold letters like a motherfucker - they're probably the worst in Asia. Air Asia's been a welcome surprise with Tony what's his name running it out of KL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh8e2KYIrU

There is literally no single thing more stereotypically Filipnia than synchronized marketing dance routines I think. Just to add a positive note, my girlfriend used to run regional marketing for Sunsilk in Southeast Asia for Unilever out of Thailand and even she would, upon seeing a shot of a really beautiful woman in an ad, say, "Oh, she's probably from The Philippines." I don't mean it in a creepy THE GIRLS way, I just mean that, man, The Phils has some seriously beautiful people representing it.

EDIT: Quick, someone show this to a group of United stewardesses and record the response on video for fun.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 14, 2013

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

nugzseeker 2 posted:

Asok and Nana "sectors" are the big, big, BIG nonos. They are like the global ground zeros for prostitution. If you are between 25-35 I'd check out the expat-scene and/or the clubs/bars around Ekkamai/Thong Lor which are more oriented to expats and thai upper middle class or so.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

While we're still talking about onward travel, would having a visa for a neighboring country in your passport work as proof of onward travel? I'm looking at some round trips but I'd be leaving months later and the Vietnam consulate nearby is so unhelpful :(

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Tomato Soup posted:

While we're still talking about onward travel, would having a visa for a neighboring country in your passport work as proof of onward travel? I'm looking at some round trips but I'd be leaving months later and the Vietnam consulate nearby is so unhelpful :(

I'd imagine so.. but if it's Vietnam you're worried about.. Just slip a couple bucks in your passport when you give it to the border guard.

Also, if you're arriving on a bus filled with tourists, it's highly unlikely you'll get hassled.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I am set to inherit a substantial amount of money very soon (like, um, tomorrow) and would like to go and sit on a beach somewhere for a month and read books, ride a motorbike, get drunk and eat all the time. I am not really interested in diving or watersports.

Any recommendations on where to do this? Budget is basically unlimited although I'd like to keep it as low as possible. I've been to Bangkok before and have no problem going back to Thailand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

CronoGamer posted:

I think my experience in the domestic terminal getting from Manila to Puerto Princesa was worse than the endless van ride from PP to El Nido. Such a terrible, disorganized place.

Did they put 16 people in the 12 person van?

And Puerto Princesa is a dump, unless you're a 50 year old white guy looking for Filipina putang. Then it seems to be the place to be.

TheLizard fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 15, 2013