Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mina is the funniest character to piss off. Especially when you come to rescue her in the final mission. ":geno: What do you want, Thorton?"

Actually, I tell a lie. There are so many characters that are fun to piss off, you can't just decide on a favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mymla posted:

Mina is the funniest character to piss off. Especially when you come to rescue her in the final mission. ":geno: What do you want, Thorton?"

Actually, I tell a lie. There are so many characters that are fun to piss off, you can't just decide on a favourite.

Agreed. I usually hate being a dick in games because there's no real effort put into it from the devs, but making people hate you in this game was just such a labor of love, especially because it manifests in ways beyond just a line of dialogue where they're meaner to you; in AP people will pull a goddamn gun on you.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
A recent drunken conversation with a friend (where I insisted that he give AP another chance by playing it at least twice in a row) inspired me to dust off my copy for a douchebag rear end in a top hat Thorton run. Basically, I always choose the aggressive option unless suave is obviously going to make him sound like an idiot. I'm on the last mission of my first hub (Taipei) and this play-through's the most fun one yet. The only friend I have (and will ever need) is Heck and it's looking like my constant flirting will get me into Scarlet's pants, but Leland is starting to overlook my stupid jokes and like my assholish tendencies. Marburg is going to love me :allears:

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums
Are there any notable/recommended Let's Play APs in particular? I'm intrigued by the discussion and some of the articles praising the story, but personally find it impossible to get over the actual gameplay problems.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Bryne posted:

Are there any notable/recommended Let's Play APs in particular? I'm intrigued by the discussion and some of the articles praising the story, but personally find it impossible to get over the actual gameplay problems.

Not one, but two (technically three)!

http://lparchive.org/Alpha-Protocol/

http://lparchive.org/Alpha-Protocol-%28by-Bobbin-Threadbare%29/

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
As reactive as this game usually is, there are a few parts that are a bit... jarring at times.
Like if you shadow operative your way through marburg's mansion, not killing anyone, and knocking out a total of 7 guards, at the end Thorton still does the whole smug walk-away-guy-dying-to-grenade-behind-him thing.

Also, it seems no-one but the news reporters react to Heck telling everyone that Thorton is Sung's assassin.

Also, I don't think it makes any difference at all if you charge through the Triads guns blazing or if you crawl through the place, knocking out the three leaders without anyone noticing.
That last one is doubly disappointing, I would've figured the guy who tells you to do it would be pissed and refuse to cooperate if you don't kill them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mymla posted:

As reactive as this game usually is, there are a few parts that are a bit... jarring at times.
Like if you shadow operative your way through marburg's mansion, not killing anyone, and knocking out a total of 7 guards, at the end Thorton still does the whole smug walk-away-guy-dying-to-grenade-behind-him thing.

Also, it seems no-one but the news reporters react to Heck telling everyone that Thorton is Sung's assassin.

Also, I don't think it makes any difference at all if you charge through the Triads guns blazing or if you crawl through the place, knocking out the three leaders without anyone noticing.
That last one is doubly disappointing, I would've figured the guy who tells you to do it would be pissed and refuse to cooperate if you don't kill them.
It's kind of a victim of its own success - in other games, even in other RPGs that purport to give the player choices, poo poo like this happens so often it's barely even worth getting worked up over. When it happens in Alpha Protocol, it's jarring because you're used to the entire narrative revolving around you in so many ways that you only notice it the fifth time through.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I was an AP early adopter and played, like, an hour before getting bored.

This thread is making me wanna play it again.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

AP has a really lovely first impression. Soldier through the Saudi Arabia arc, and you'll find yourself a gem.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Maybe it's because I tend to play older games, but I don't see this bad first impression. I liked it right from the beginning. What is it that's supposed to be so unpleasant about the game near the start?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Project1 posted:

Maybe it's because I tend to play older games, but I don't see this bad first impression. I liked it right from the beginning. What is it that's supposed to be so unpleasant about the game near the start?

I did not like the shooting mechanics but I like the Mass Effect games so I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical.

I'm downloading it now - I'll play it during those long quiet night shifts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Project1 posted:

It looks like a bad shooter. The shooter mechanics are disappointing, because it isn't a shooter. Once you figure out what kind of game it is, it is awesome, but it is easy to mistake it for a mediocre shooter. Right through Saudi it looks just like those games where "choices" are just fluff that have no effect and the story isn't all that compelling. I thought it was okay too, probably because I never play shooters so I had no idea what a good one would look like.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It presents itself as a third person action game with a straight "go to the middle east and shoot terrorists" story. There's only a hint of the game's conversation design, very little reactivity, and players don't have a lot of skill points to flesh out their character yet so "gimmick" builds like stealth, gadgets or even melee can feel a bit handicapped. Someone with a lower tolerance for average third person shooters might just give up before the best parts of the game come into play in force.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Project1 posted:

It's a long, unskippable section that focuses on the weakest part of the game (the gameplay), at a point where you don't have any of the skills to fast-track through it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My first impression of the game wasn't even that it was a third-person shooter, but then, I like a stealthy playing style. My whole mindset going into it was that it was kind of a puzzle game, really--figuring out the patterns, finding hidden alternate routes, timing everything just right--and it didn't disappoint.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Ah, I see. I'm used to playing story or atmospheric shooters, where the gameplay isn't the focus. Things like System Shock, Thief, Stalker, and Metro 2033, where the gameplay may or may not be amazing, but it's not the focus of the game. It was pretty plain to me that AP fell into that category, right from the start.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I managed to get this ages ago on the cheap and after being put off by Saudi and glitches (my old computer didn't like it very much). I picked it up again after upgrading my machine and managed to finish it just recently. It was actually a lot more fun than I initially thought, and if they'd opened with Steven Heck, it definitely wouldn't have taken me this long to play it.

I did a non-lethal pistol runthrough, attempting to keep everyone happy, but while my orphan counter stayed at 0 for most of the game, my escape key broke just as I got to the endgame. So I ended up running through the entire finale without being able to save or load, making for an interesting, if *unprofessional* experience. For example, I missed the final conversation with Scarlet in which she reveals she's an assassin, meaning she sniped me at the end. Luckily, I had a high enough influence with her I could have her kill Leland instead.

I'll probably do another playthrough, but I watched Bobbin Threadbare's LP to see what I missed, and from the sound of it I got a combination of endings he didn't think was possible: Despite punching Leland, Westridge was my final boss, then after arresting him the game warped Leland into the same area where I proceeded to confront him and the whole Scarlet thing happened. I'm not sure if that's the result of a glitch or simply what's expected to happen, but it was a pretty satisfying conclusion.

Then I skipped the credits because I didn't know about the ending slideshow. So that's something to avoid next time.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

The White Dragon posted:

My first impression of the game wasn't even that it was a third-person shooter, but then, I like a stealthy playing style. My whole mindset going into it was that it was kind of a puzzle game, really--figuring out the patterns, finding hidden alternate routes, timing everything just right--and it didn't disappoint.

Yeah, I feel that a lot of people's negative impression of this game seems to stem from "It has guns and therefore it is a shooter." It's a shooter in the same way that Dungeons and Dragons is a medieval combat simulator.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I've played through five times and never seen Westrodge since Saudi. How do I see him again?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Riven posted:

I've played through five times and never seen Westrodge since Saudi. How do I see him again?

IIRC, you have to (spoiling to be safe) side with Al-Samad in the end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kalos posted:

Yeah, I feel that a lot of people's negative impression of this game seems to stem from "It has guns and therefore it is a shooter." It's a shooter in the same way that Dungeons and Dragons is a medieval combat simulator.

Yeah, I went into it expecting it to behave something like Deus Ex and it pretty much did.

This conversation reminds me that Deus Ex got a lot of similar complaints from people who went in expecting it to play like Quake. The first level (Liberty Island) still has a bad reputation as a result.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

First time I played this I actually got hugely excited at the beginning when Westridge is talking about how everything you say has a consequence (not really a spoiler is it?) I realised the possibilities this entailed and the game didn't disappoint me in the slightest.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC, you have to (spoiling to be safe) side with Al-Samad in the end.

when you meet him for the second time Shaheed will ask "are you sure you want to work against the US government?" If you answer Yes you'll get Westridge as a final boss. I don't know what else will get you that, apart from siding with Leland. Also, you can still kill Shaheed right after you say that, which I always did because the motherfucker blew up a plane.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Westridge spoilers:

I thought it was "working against the US" that brought Westridge out in the end, which should include violently dealing with the NSA/CIA agents in Rome

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I've gotten pretty lucky with AP as far as bugs go, but last night I ran into two spots in missions where the game wouldn't let me move forward. The first was the finale in Taipei, one of the zip lines in the Omen Deng area wouldn't work. And then in Brayko's mansion, I took the veteran route, got the data, dealt with Sie... then got locked out of the third building where Brayko's at. Before, the worst bugs would be the occasionally wonky graphics or a crash at a checkpoint once in a blue moon, but nothing ever this serious.

Maybe the game's being an rear end in a top hat to rear end in a top hat Thorton... this loving game.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

orcane posted:

Westridge spoilers:

I thought it was "working against the US" that brought Westridge out in the end, which should include violently dealing with the NSA/CIA agents in Rome

Weirdly, killing American service personnel in Alpha Protocol itself is apparently just fine. I always thought it was weird no one cared at all if you kill those dudes, despite the files saying they were just U.S. military people selected for extra duty and who undoubtedly thought they were serving America faithfully.

Dec 26, 2012

Project1 posted:

Same, really. I actually enjoy the mechanics, and haven't gone pistols since the first runthrough because of that. But if you don't really know its reputation going into it it would probably just seem like a sloppy shooter.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, the person who goes with you on the boat at the end can seem utterly random at times. I just finished a game where I spared and converted everyone possible, joined Halbech, brought SIE to the final mission, teamed up with Scarlet, spared Mina & Westridge, and then finally killed Leland...and then it was Mina with me on the boat, looking much better than she had been a few minutes prior when we parted on less than perfectly friendly terms. I didn't romance anyone (specifically went for No Time For Love), and Mina's opinion was only at 9 compared to, say, Scarlet's 10.

Maybe Mina is something of a default option there? Still odd, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Man, the person who goes with you on the boat at the end can seem utterly random at times. I just finished a game where I spared and converted everyone possible, joined Halbech, brought SIE to the final mission, teamed up with Scarlet, spared Mina & Westridge, and then finally killed Leland...and then it was Mina with me on the boat, looking much better than she had been a few minutes prior when we parted on less than perfectly friendly terms. I didn't romance anyone (specifically went for No Time For Love), and Mina's opinion was only at 9 compared to, say, Scarlet's 10.

Maybe Mina is something of a default option there? Still odd, though.

Ending boat spoiler:
If you saved Mina she'll override all other boat options. If you want the best boat scene (Michael and his true love Stephen Heck sailing of into the sunset), you'll have to leave her behind.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Raygereio posted:

Ending boat spoiler:
If you saved Mina she'll override all other boat options. If you want the best boat scene (Michael and his true love Stephen Heck sailing of into the sunset), you'll have to leave her behind.
But I didn't 'save' her, I 'spared' her. It's not quite as lovey-dovey, you know?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Ending boat spoiler:

No, I'm pretty sure I saved her once, and still got Heck on the boat. I had her at -10 rep and Heck at +10 rep.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
So I had an odd conversation with Brayko while playing last night that felt like a bug. Paraphrased from my bad memory, and skipping a few lines:

:patriot: So tell me about Halbech.
:ussr: The company? What about them?
:patriot: Surkov told me you were their contact in Moscow.
:ussr: Surkov has been working on something and kept me out of the loop.
:patriot: So Surkov must be their contact... And you stole the documents to get revenge.
:ussr: By the way, Surkov is Halbech's contact in Moscow.
:patriot: I know, he told me himself.
:ussr: That bastard, he's been keeping me out of the deal. I stole the documents to get revenge.

Then I refused his alliance but didn't kill him. So I gained him as an ally as a result. :confused:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Project1 posted:

So I had an odd conversation with Brayko while playing last night that felt like a bug. Paraphrased from my bad memory, and skipping a few lines:

:patriot: So tell me about Halbech.
:ussr: The company? What about them?
:patriot: Surkov told me you were their contact in Moscow.
:ussr: Surkov has been working on something and kept me out of the loop.
:patriot: So Surkov must be their contact... And you stole the documents to get revenge.
:ussr: By the way, Surkov is Halbech's contact in Moscow.
:patriot: I know, he told me himself.
:ussr: That bastard, he's been keeping me out of the deal. I stole the documents to get revenge.

Then I refused his alliance but didn't kill him. So I gained him as an ally as a result. :confused:

I don't see what's a bug about this at all. In fact, you can then have Brayko kill Championchik and then let him slowly gut Surkov

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It sort of feels like they didn't have time to properly test some conversations, and there were variations based on the amount of dossier information you had. So you could know about X already, or interrogate Y until he tells you about X, and the game lets you do both. There's another bit at the end of the game where Mina confesses to Mike that she was the one who cut him off from the agency, then later if you work for Halbech you can angrily confront her about cutting you off from the agency.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
They were both ignorant until Thorton used his superior reasoning skills, then they both already knew about something Thorton only worked out one minute prior. Thorton then says that Brayko can forget making a deal, he'd rather just kill him, fires a couple of bullets 5 centimetres from his head, and walks away, which makes them allies.

It's either a bug, or the whole things was written in a really confusing manner.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I didn't even know you could not ally with Surkov. I always thought the information on Championchik was put in and they ran out of time to do something with him.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Can anyone tell me exactly what Recoil and Stability do? I can hazard a guess, but I'd like to know specifically. Google isn't helping and the manual doesn't actually say. I've gone through two whole playthroughs without knowing what these stats do. :psyduck:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Line Feed posted:

Can anyone tell me exactly what Recoil and Stability do? I can hazard a guess, but I'd like to know specifically. Google isn't helping and the manual doesn't actually say. I've gone through two whole playthroughs without knowing what these stats do. :psyduck:

Based on me doing absolutely no research and just kinda noticing differences over several playthroughs, as near as I can tell, recoil is how much your reticle enlarges when you fire, while stability is either how quickly your reticle shrinks back down, or how much movement affects your aim. So a gun with better recoil doesn't lose as much accuracy when you fire it, while a gun with better stability either takes less time to line a shot, or else isn't as affected by you moving around to aim.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Crappy Jack posted:

Based on me doing absolutely no research and just kinda noticing differences over several playthroughs, as near as I can tell, recoil is how much your reticle enlarges when you fire, while stability is either how quickly your reticle shrinks back down, or how much movement affects your aim. So a gun with better recoil doesn't lose as much accuracy when you fire it, while a gun with better stability either takes less time to line a shot, or else isn't as affected by you moving around to aim.

I thought this was the case, but I wasn't quite sure. I think I made a mistake trying to up Recoil on my SMGs during my most recent playthrough. I thought to myself "These things have a high rate of fire so having recoil control is important right?" But I should have just dumped everything into Damage because all the Recoil in the world won't stop that reticle from becoming the size of the loving sun in a second of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That is one of the bad things about the game. The only weapon stat that matters is damage.

• Locked thread