Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Worms 3D never should have happened, nothing about it works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Amusing how they skipped right over 3 Worms games to release that, including two that are basically considered the best.

Worms 3D was my actual intro to the series and I found it enjoyable, but I can't deny that it's all about about knocking worms into water on most maps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deakul posted:

Worms 3D never should have happened, nothing about it works very well.
I really love worms, I played worms 1 and 2 when I was a kid, and I continue to buy the 2d (or 2.5d) worms games that team17 keeps on putting out (do something new guys, seriously).

That said... Worms 3D sucks balls. But nothing 2D translates to 3D well. It really, really doesn't. Think about it: Worms 3D, Lemmings 3D, Castlevania 3D, MegaMan Legends, Sonic (oh my god), Final Fight, Contra, on and on.

Tons of great 2D games just didn't work in 3D at all. You can't change that much of a game's essence and expect the same things to be fun, lots of people fail to understand that a game's mechanics are only fun within the scope of the rest of the game environment. Things that work in a MOBA don't work in an FPS. Those that did transition to 3D well? They changed completely! They only kept the loosest of story and characters the same, and transformed the gameplay completely to embrace the new medium.

Think about Mario 3 / Super Mario World vs Mario 64.

They could not be more different games!
Mario 1-World was about getting to the end of the level, travelling linearly. You had a map screen in 3 & World where you would clear world stages one by one in a line and then move to the next world. In 64, you have a free open hub-world that you're allowed to explore at your leisure, you have worlds that aren't about just getting to the end but rather acquiring stars, you have doorways that require stars to go further in the game, mirrors that take you to worlds, multiple ways to replay the same world with different rules... Its just completely, completely different. But you're still mario and you're still "platforming", so people think that its a 2D -> 3D port.

Mario 64 is as much a Mario game as Mario 2 (doki doki panic) is; you really just slapped the mario sprite over the main character and called it the same. They're really very different games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd also argue that not much has really been gained in pushing 4X or strategy gaming into 3D, starting with Civ IV. Civ IV is gorgeous and a masterpiece in gaming, but it doesn't seem to do a thing that couldn't be done just fine in 2D, and that goes double for the resource-hungry and mentally challenged Civ V. If anything, adherence to 3D just pushes the graphics budget into a higher dimension and shovels AI development to the back burner, along with new innovations in gameplay. Those latter two can still be great (and they are in Civ IV and perhaps arguably Civ V), but you need the resources of a small country to produce it.

Yeah, I know SMAC used a voxel engine, but as I recall they regarded that as something of a manpower-draining mistake they couldn't back out on.

I also realized halfway through typing this that I'm probably mostly wrong and taking the conversation somewhere it was never intended to be, but the heck with it.

(Waitin' on Xenonauts.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just so you guys know. The new GOG release is a 3D incarnation of Worms, but it's not Worms 3D. Worms Forts: Under Siege is a different game with slightly different rules. Probably doesn't make it any better for 2D Worms fans, but I remember my younger brother having a good time with the game some time after it came out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rinkles posted:

Just so you guys know. The new GOG release is a 3D incarnation of Worms, but it's not Worms 3D. Worms Forts: Under Siege is a different game with slightly different rules. Probably doesn't make it any better for 2D Worms fans, but I remember my younger brother having a good time with the game some time after it came out.

Yeah, I thought about pointing this out, but decided it probably didn't matter. They've actually released several 3d worms games, as well as continuing to make both 2d worms and 2.5d worms games. Its.... weird.

I thought that post 2.5D, they were going in that direction, so I bought the latest of those. Then they put out a new 2D one. WTF? So I get that, and now there's another 2.5D one coming? FFS Team17.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd also argue that not much has really been gained in pushing 4X or strategy gaming into 3D, starting with Civ IV.

Yeah, I know SMAC used a voxel engine, but as I recall they regarded that as something of a manpower-draining mistake they couldn't back out on.

I actually agree for the most part that making a strategy / 4x game in 3D doesn't really add a lot of benefits* in and of itself, except if you design specifically to take advantage of it.

In this case, SMAC was great because they did it in 3D, but also leveraged the 3D-ness to introduce true terraforming features, instead of just making everything prettier.

* I keep thinking that a 3D engine is more scalable as far as resolutions are concerned, but I could be wrong.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

gradenko_2000 posted:

* I keep thinking that a 3D engine is more scalable as far as resolutions are concerned, but I could be wrong.

Most 2D engines are raster-based, which do not scale well, while most 3D engines are vector-based, which do scale well. It's totally possible to make a 2D vector-based engine (Flash is a prominent example) and it's likewise possible (although honestly pretty stupid) to make a 3D engine that relies on voxels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

That said... Worms 3D sucks balls. But nothing 2D translates to 3D well. It really, really doesn't. Think about it: Worms 3D, Lemmings 3D, Castlevania 3D, MegaMan Legends, Sonic (oh my god), Final Fight, Contra, on and on.

You might want to reconsider that one :toughguy:. The first one's admittedly blandly average, but Megaman Legends 2 is a really good game.

As for Sonic...There's a lot of chaff and very little wheat. Colours and Generations are really the only two outright good ones.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
System Shock 2 Tomorrow, countdown on site

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Great, awesome, finally. I haven't played the game since it launched. Hopefully they get the first game on there sooner than later as well.

Would someone compile a short list of worthwhile mods? I don't know if there are many that aren't just cosmetic. Last I recall the SS2 rebirth mod wasn't finished, but someone else picked it up?

(and searching for it now, it seems like 90% of the links are dead)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 13, 2013

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh man, I'm so ridiculously excited.

I've only ever played up to when you arrive on the ship and kill your first zombie-looking dude.
Mostly because I never felt right playing it illegitimately, never liked pirating anything really but I attempted to buy the game on Amazon and Ebay on 3 occasions and was duped each time... either by way of unplayable discs or lack of discs entirely.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Hakkesshu posted:

Great, awesome, finally. I haven't played the game since it launched. Hopefully they get the first game on there sooner than later as well.

Would someone compile a short list of worthwhile mods? I don't know if there are many that aren't just cosmetic. Last I recall the SS2 rebirth mod wasn't finished, but someone else picked it up?

(and searching for it now, it seems like 90% of the links are dead)

I installed SS2 a couple of weeks ago with the 1.19 patch which may be already included in the GOG release, with the rebirth character models upgrade and the SSHTUP texture upgrade. Basically systemshock.org is your place to go.

Getting SS2 mod ready
http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,106.0.html

SSHTUP
http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22.0

Rebirth
http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8.0

1.19 patch which may already be included in this release
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Deakul posted:

Oh man, I'm so ridiculously excited.

I've only ever played up to when you arrive on the ship and kill your first zombie-looking dude.
Mostly because I never felt right playing it illegitimately, never liked pirating anything really but I attempted to buy the game on Amazon and Ebay on 3 occasions and was duped each time... either by way of unplayable discs or lack of discs entirely.

I was incredibly lucky at a car boot sale once and got a complete boxed version for 2 quid

Never got it to work properly on my PC though :smith: box looks nice though :unsmith:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I've already owned System Shock 2 a couple times, and it is actually not too difficult to get to run these days, but I'm still buying this the second they put it on sale. It is still one of the greatest, if not the greatest, games ever made.

If you liked Bioshock at all, please buy this. They are both similar games (right down to the last parts not being quite as good as the rest of the game) but I've always found the choices you get to make in terms of making builds much more interesting in System Shock 2. Playthroughs with different character focuses really feel different. System Shock 2 also has a much scarier atmosphere. The psychic howler monkeys will forever haunt my nightmares. Be sure to keep weapon degradation on for maximum tension, even though it is kind of silly how quick they wear down.

The interface isn't up to today's standards, but once you get used to it, it isn't bad. The graphics are definitely not great, but the sound design is still amazing.

Is there a way to emulate EAX today? I've always missed those effects in my more recent playthroughs. Are Rebirth and SSHTUP worth using today? I never liked the Rebirth models compared to the original ones (the lower quality original models looking less human actually made them scarier, IMO), have they improved? SSHTUP used to bug me because while some textures were fixed and much improved, many others weren't. I preferred the consistency of the original textures, even if they were low resolution. Have they fixed pretty much all of the poor textures by this point?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I got SS2 through some 6-games-in-one-pack. The discs are pink. It worked last time I checked, but I'm not so sure it will once I transition to Win7. Getting it on Gog will have that benefit, plus this had me excited:

quote:

RPS: Will there be any extras included with the GOG download? Soundtracks and the like?

Rambourg: Yes, indeed. With the help of Stephen, we’ve pulled out all of the stops to make this a virtual collector’s edition. In addition to the soundtrack, the GOG.com version of the game will have concept art, maps of the Von Braun, a interview with Ken Levine, the first pitch document, and much more.

Actually, I may just listen to the soundtrack. That alone is enough to scare the poo poo out of me. :gonk:

Also this sounds good:

quote:

RPS: Now that System Shock 2 is secured, what will replace it as GOG’s most demanded game?

Rambourg: Actually, our community wish list shows we have quite a bunch of LucasArts’ titles to sign next and we will do our best to satisfy our gamers. Heck, we just signed SS2 after all, so impossible is nothing for GOG! If you guys want to support us, make sure to vote in our community wishlist so that we can give more weight to all our ongoing and upcoming business talks. It worked for SS2, so it can work for other titles. I know that some people may think that voting in the wishlist doesn’t accomplish anything. I’m here to tell you it does. It gives us ammo to sign publishers and sometimes – like with Stephen and Night Dive – even opens the door for opportunity when we need it most!

I wonder if this means "the next big publisher" they almost had onboard is MS, since LA seems farther from an agreement. Time to vote for a bunch of classic LA games, I guess!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Does anyone know if Black & White works without issue in Win7 x64? I've got a hankering to play it, but I need to know whether I should be arsed or not to dig through all the junk in my storage.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Just discovered this site yesterday. Already I have spend over $50 on games, and about 6 hours playing Settlers II.

Zaphod42 posted:

They could not be more different games!
Mario 1-World was about getting to the end of the level, travelling linearly. You had a map screen in 3 & World where you would clear world stages one by one in a line and then move to the next world. In 64, you have a free open hub-world that you're allowed to explore at your leisure, you have worlds that aren't about just getting to the end but rather acquiring stars, you have doorways that require stars to go further in the game, mirrors that take you to worlds, multiple ways to replay the same world with different rules... Its just completely, completely different. But you're still mario and you're still "platforming", so people think that its a 2D -> 3D port.

Mario 64 is as much a Mario game as Mario 2 (doki doki panic) is; you really just slapped the mario sprite over the main character and called it the same. They're really very different games.

Well, to be fair, the formula in Mario Galaxy 2 is not terribly different from 2d Mario games like SMW. You have a world map and to get to each star you follow a linear level. There are secrets here and there but not many deviant paths.

Roy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 13, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I actually agree for the most part that making a strategy / 4x game in 3D doesn't really add a lot of benefits* in and of itself, except if you design specifically to take advantage of it.

In this case, SMAC was great because they did it in 3D, but also leveraged the 3D-ness to introduce true terraforming features, instead of just making everything prettier.

Silent Storm is another (also on GOG) example - the extremely deformable terrain and physics engine went far beyond what a 2D engine could do and opened up the tactical potential amazingly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Silent Storm is another (also on GOG) example - the extremely deformable terrain and physics engine went far beyond what a 2D engine could do and opened up the tactical potential amazingly.

Ironically the successor to Silent Storm isn't a squad rpg but Men of War.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Man, I never thought we'd live to see the day that the legal tangle of SS2 got resolved enough for digital distribution. Good on GOG! I guess Lucasarts is next on the most-wanted list.

pyrotek posted:

Is there a way to emulate EAX today? I've always missed those effects in my more recent playthroughs. Are Rebirth and SSHTUP worth using today? I never liked the Rebirth models compared to the original ones (the lower quality original models looking less human actually made them scarier, IMO), have they improved? SSHTUP used to bug me because while some textures were fixed and much improved, many others weren't. I preferred the consistency of the original textures, even if they were low resolution. Have they fixed pretty much all of the poor textures by this point?

Yes, if you still have a Soundblaster card. Creative ALchemy converts old EAX titles to be compatible.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

macnbc posted:

Man, I never thought we'd live to see the day that the legal tangle of SS2 got resolved enough for digital distribution. Good on GOG! I guess Lucasarts is next on the most-wanted list.

I literally thought it would never come out. I think any money they invested in this venture will pay out many times over if people put their money where their mouth is. I, for one, cannot wait. Even having finished it 4 or 5 times, I still want to attempt that pure psi-ops campaign.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've never played either System Shock. I intend to remedy this in about 21 hours or so.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who's never played any of the *Shocks, but is well aware of their pedigree and legend, would it be worth just going through them unmodded and blind?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This is hilarious. I literally just reinstalled SS2 last night. I have to wonder what GOG has done differently from the SS2Tool/NewDark install?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

As someone who's never played any of the *Shocks, but is well aware of their pedigree and legend, would it be worth just going through them unmodded and blind?

Blind yes. Unmodded.. well, the texture mods probably wouldn't go amiss.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
One of the biggest thing that turns me off about SS2 is the lack of subtitles.

SHODAN is kinda lost on you if you can't hear what she's saying to you...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you play it in a dark room at 3am with the sound cranked up (as it's intended to be played) that won't be a problem :colbert:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mulefisk posted:

Just discovered this site yesterday. Already I have spend over $50 on games, and about 6 hours playing Settlers II.
I hope you're playing the 10th Anniversary edition. If not, you should strongly consider it when it goes on sale.

Just thought I'd point it out because it's an excellent faithful modern remake, but barely got any release in North America.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Peas and Rice posted:

If you play it in a dark room at 3am with the sound cranked up (as it's intended to be played) that won't be a problem :colbert:

Unless you're deaf. :ssh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Male Man posted:

This. :smith:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Male Man posted:

Also, if english is not your first language. I can read english quite alright but listening I will lose a good part of it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The only mods you'd need are graphical ones. I'd say at least get the unoffical 1.19 patch for the engine, if that isn't included in the Gog-release. Then try it and see how if you think it needs further improvement and if so, add SSHTUP and Rebirth (all of these have been posted above). Since, afaik, not everything is improved upon in the mods they can create a jarring experience. It might be best to play with everythin low-poly and low-res.

And, of course, there's no telling what Gog will have done to make it functioning. All mods may not work anymore.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You might want to reconsider that one :toughguy:. The first one's admittedly blandly average, but Megaman Legends 2 is a really good game.

Nope nope nope MML2 is a better game but MML is better than "blandly average" thank you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. I guess you can install Rebirth to get the updated textures.

The first System Shock is totally different and it plays basically like Ultima Underworld with guns. It's dated and the controls are wonky but I still think this game is worth it especially if you liked UU.

SS2 is like a survival horror Deus Ex. There are multiple ways to tackle the game and while you can build an overpowered character it's more fun to pick a class and skills that suit your personal playstyle. I always go "mage" in games so I love telekinesis but being a soldier and blowing through space zombies is just as viable as being an engineer and hacking poo poo. There's a lot of surprises in SS2, especially when Shodan starts loving with you, and it's best to play with as little knowledge going in as possible.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
They should have launched this on April 1, with no prior announcement. Now I have no idea what they have planned for Fool's Day :ohdear:

For the record, here's the GOG wishlist. Vote for more games!

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 13, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Male Man posted:

Ouch. Wow, sorry. :smith:

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Dumbass. I should read the thread before posing.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BootStrap posted:

Big News!!

System Shock 2 will be available tomorrow.

19 hours and counting

So did you just ignore the last page or what?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The only mods you'd need are graphical ones. I'd say at least get the unoffical 1.19 patch for the engine, if that isn't included in the Gog-release. Then try it and see how if you think it needs further improvement and if so, add SSHTUP and Rebirth (all of these have been posted above). Since, afaik, not everything is improved upon in the mods they can create a jarring experience. It might be best to play with everythin low-poly and low-res.

And, of course, there's no telling what Gog will have done to make it functioning. All mods may not work anymore.

From the RPS interview:

quote:

Rambourg: There are some user-made mods out there which do phenomenal work on the game’s stability, but none of them were quite perfect, so we took the game to our expert techninjas to analyse and swat the remaining bugs. It was some work to get it done, but as this is a game that we’ve wanted to release for four-plus years, it was also definitely a labour of love.

Kick: This release is the original version in all its glory. Fans will be able to apply the mods they know and love, and hopefully we may see some new mods from the community in the future.

So the release will be something newer than the newest fan patch, and will work with mods. Couldn't ask for much more than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Mr E posted:

So did you just ignore the last page or what?

Nope. I am a moron. :smith: