Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I loved China but it is the land of scams and fakes and loving you over. But that's almost always Chinese people, a westerner exploiting other westerners... obviously it could easily happen but it's not something I hear about. I was absolutely sure it was a scam until I saw the guy in charge is apparently American.

Maybe he assimilated well enough to turn into a Chinese boss. :v: I dunno. Wariness is a good idea in Korea, I'd be doubly so in China. From all I've ever heard or read Chinese bosses gently caress people over in ways Korean bosses can only dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I loved China but it is the land of scams and fakes and loving you over. But that's almost always Chinese people, a westerner exploiting other westerners... obviously it could easily happen but it's not something I hear about. I was absolutely sure it was a scam until I saw the guy in charge is apparently American.

Maybe he assimilated well enough to turn into a Chinese boss. :v: I dunno. Wariness is a good idea in Korea, I'd be doubly so in China. From all I've ever heard or read Chinese bosses gently caress people over in ways Korean bosses can only dream of.

I guess I'll find out in a week. I do hope it is legit for his sake, but I just don't see some guy being randomly picked for an executive position, particularly a worldwide one. You normally need things like business experience and an MBA or connections for something like that. They don't post it on daves.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 13, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The end of the video has a picture of 'Patricia Chen (CEO)'. And she is quite the looker! Also, she is probably the owner of the Greenhill Zone. I'd imagine Dr J is the manager then? Here it lists her the Executive Producer. Honestly, it seems like it's her thing and he's head teacher or manager.

edit: Based on my internet, this is still 100x more legit than the life coach guy from last year.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

The end of the video has a picture of 'Patricia Chen (CEO)'. And she is quite the looker! Also, she is probably the owner of the Greenhill Zone. I'd imagine Dr J is the manager then? Here it lists her the Executive Producer. Honestly, it seems like it's her thing and he's head teacher or manager.

edit: Based on my internet, this is still 100x more legit than the life coach guy from last year.

The school is probably legit, but I think they are overstating what his job is going to be. He's supposed to get a year of Chinese fluency training before starting his global management duties that he is completely unqualified to do, so I guess time will tell.

And oh my, Ms. Chen is quite the looker.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

AmbientParadox posted:

this is still 100x more legit than the life coach guy from last year.

Hahaha, remember that?

Good times :allears:

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

The Bible posted:

The school is probably legit, but I think they are overstating what his job is going to be. He's supposed to get a year of Chinese fluency training before starting his global management duties that he is completely unqualified to do, so I guess time will tell.

And oh my, Ms. Chen is quite the looker.

After browsing their website if this guy is not stuck teaching kindergarten I'd be fuckin suprised. I didn't find much talk on the Chinese internet about them aside from all their stupid videos though. Greenhill pianos on the other hand appear to be an inferior product if anyone was wondering.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

The Bible posted:

So I know a few of you are somewhat active in the China thread, and I wanted to run something by you guys.

A friend of mine (this isn't one of those situations where I'm actually the friend, this really is a guy I know), is leaving Korea to take what basically is the perfect job in China. For the past 2 months, he has been singing the praises of this wonderful manager he met on the internet. The guy is apparently setting up some huge multinational school chain and he's looking for executive managers to get in on the ground floor, and apparently white BS holders teaching English in Asia fit the bill for this.

He keeps texting me pictures his new manager sent him of his 40th floor executive apartment overlooking Beijing that costs 100 bucks a month somehow and can't stop talking about how this manager is also looking for musicians for a school band as well (he is actually a pretty damned good musician) and just all sorts of poo poo that just sounds way too good to be true, and every time he calls me, the deal just got a little sweeter.

So I'm just curious, what are the odds he has actually found a manager starting a multinational school chain in China who is blind-hiring foreigners for executive level positions who don't speak Chinese, have any business experience, and don't have at least graduate degrees? Is it likely he found a good deal, or am I going to get a message in a month asking for a kidney? He's leaving in two weeks, and if I'm going to call bullshit here, I need to do it soon.
China is not very good at quality control or really caring about qualifications. I would definitely run it by the China thread if you haven't already. Someone may know the guy or they could do some snooping.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

joedevola posted:

Hahaha, remember that?

Good times :allears:

This thread has actually been so negative lately I wonder if maybe a group session with Jonathan R. Wachtel wouldn't do us some good?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

THE LUMMOX posted:

This thread has actually been so negative lately I wonder if maybe a group session with Jonathan R. Wachtel wouldn't do us some good?

You're the one who's negative about your fellow man. Perhaps it is you who needs to be actualized with Mr. Wachtel's patented systems. PERHAPS THE NEGATIVITY IS NOT IN OUR STARS BUT IN OURLUMMOXES.

Why is your name in caps anyway? If there is any actual reason.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
Unfortunately I can't open the site through my work filter, but I was thinking of running a reverse image search or whatever they're called on some of the site images to see if they pop up at other schools, or if anyone's talking about them as a scam.

How do you know this guy in charge is American? Pictures on the website, a Facebook account, phone conversations, or something that actually verifies he is who he says he is?

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

THE LUMMOX posted:

I wonder if maybe a group session with Jonathan R. Wachtel wouldn't do us some good?

WhosJonathanWachtel? Thatstheproblem! Ihaveacoupleofbooks;books;books;books;yes, yesss that could r e v o l u t i o n i s e the field of positive psychologyyyyy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When are you in country again Themata? Seems like you're delaying the inevitable.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

That guy in the China video makes a weird connection between homeboy and homebody.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
So I'm stuck here for next 2 years. please send help.
Kakao invite prease JKim2112

Flagellum fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 14, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are you a hedonistic child soldier? We need a new one now.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

YES OF COURSE I Will have a wonderful time involuntary slavery very good highly recommended yes

edit : Well I'm actually a Korean national. If I dont go there they will come after me.

Flagellum fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 14, 2013

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
are you training in Nonsan/Gyeryong?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last one was less a slave and more a mascot.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How do you feel about wafers?

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

Maxsmart posted:

are you training in Nonsan/Gyeryong?

I don't know yet. I'm applying for an interpreter position. The interview/test is on March.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Public guys, when schools want someone in country AND an in person interview during school hours, how does that work out? Seems like an impossible request.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Even odds on them a) not caring, b) caring more about convenience than effectiveness by only looking at D10/transitioning people, or c) really only caring about getting a kyopo.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

tirinal posted:

Even odds on them a) not caring, b) caring more about convenience than effectiveness by only looking at D10/transitioning people, or c) really only caring about getting a kyopo.

I suppose they could look for someone like the rest of these guys who get this time off or are permitted to leave early.

In other news, I'm actively looking for a CDI part 2. If I'm stuck with poo poo hours I at least want to be paid 3+ for it. The money can be saved up to counteract the hagwon gently caress over.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

I suppose they could look for someone like the rest of these guys who get this time off or are permitted to leave early.

In other news, I'm actively looking for a CDI part 2. If I'm stuck with poo poo hours I at least want to be paid 3+ for it. The money can be saved up to counteract the hagwon gently caress over.

I'm still not sure why you didn't contact my future place. 2.3 for after school with housing in Seoul

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

AmbientParadox posted:

I'm still not sure why you didn't contact my future place. 2.3 for after school with housing in Seoul

I did. Maybe too late though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey whats the name for little hot peppers in black sauce (maybe soy sauce)?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Dong A article on Modular Homes

quote:

... Though the Korean housing market has long been in the doldrums, detached houses have grown popular partly due to the bursting of the apartment bubble. Apartments used to be considered good investments...

I know it's seems like such an elephant in the room, but this is the first news posting I've seen to mention the housing situation in Korea. Other than this part, there's nothing special about the article: it's a soft news piece on modular homes.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 15, 2013

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
On the topic of the flailing housing market, sounds like the government might have killed six people for no reason.

http://nwww.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130207001014

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Everything I know about the Korean construction and housing sectors, I learned from the drama "Giant." I recommend it!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

erobadapazzi posted:

Everything I know about the Korean construction and housing sectors, I learned from the drama "Giant." I recommend it!

Does it feature a nice but poor female protagonist who's in love with a wealthy boy with a wicked and protective mother?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Friendmeet and such was great. Yall know how to send us off proper. Slerpy time now

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

Friendmeet and such was great. Yall know how to send us off proper. Slerpy time now

Gonna miss you man, I feel like Utah can't hold a Kirbykhan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When do you leave for good? This job poo poo has been highly inconveniently timed. :negative: I want to try to go to Gunsan before you split.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah sorry for chickening out on you guys. ~*~Between Jobs~*~ is the worst thing ever.

On the plus side, my moving date is set for March 2nd. Also, I'll be in Seoul tomorrow, Monday, for some immigration and phone issues. If anyone would be interested in getting an early dinner or late lunch, that'd be nice.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
So, apparently Insadong burned down last night

http://www.frequency.com/video/huge-fire-in-insadong-seoul-south-korea/79609308/-/5-573

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news_read.jsp?news_id=N1001637257
I don't understand all that much of this, and I can't find anything in English. But wow!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

erobadapazzi posted:

http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news_read.jsp?news_id=N1001637257
I don't understand all that much of this, and I can't find anything in English. But wow!

at around 830 last night, the propane tank for a restaurant exploded, starting the fire. the fire spread through the neighborhood, being continually fed by exploding propane tanks and electrical transformers. Some newspapers I read said 150 people injured, others said no one was injured.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That sucks, it's a great date place in Summer and there's a lot of good restaurants and traditional tea houses that are really cool and well maintained.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
If this was the block where Story of the Blue Star is im gonna raaaaaage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

THE LUMMOX posted:

If this was the block where Story of the Blue Star is im gonna raaaaaage.

It looks like it was on the far side of Nakwon Arcade, behind Tapgol Park. I might ride over there in a bit to have a look.

http://www.seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.php?id=20130218800004

• Locked thread