Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The Y button being higher doesn't put it on a vertical axis :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Gutcruncher posted:

Dangit, what are they teachin in schools these days?!

Man I totally forgot about that. I will do penance to the Dreamcast Gods :saddowns:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The Y button being higher doesn't put it on a vertical axis :ssh:

X and B are on the X axis, Y and A are on the Y axis :catbert:

Nintendo's placement makes no sense.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 13, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crowbear posted:

Man I totally forgot about that. I will do penance to the Dreamcast Gods :saddowns:

Fair enough.

That emoticon is hilarious.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a thread for Skyward Sword, or a general Zelda thread? I need to vent about this game.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Crowbear posted:

This drove me nuts in Batman U (yes, I got Batman U). You get letter prompts on the screen and my mind just defaults to the Xbox/Dreamcast button placement.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Since 1991, jive suckas.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
SNES controller came out before I took algebra, so its layout makes the most sense.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I always assumed it was because the Japanese read things right to left (well, I guess that depends, too).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

In general you're right, but the browser during playing a game experience or Miiverse which is apparently browser based is pretty good. You're dead on about everything else though. It's something I think the new consoles can and will improve upon drastically (though maybe not browser experience, Nintendo surprisingly nailed that one).

Well apparently they're patching up the Miiverse in april, which is yet another indicator that the real WiiU season starts next holiday.

That is, unless it's overshadowed by Microsoft's/Sony's next offering.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Is there a thread for Skyward Sword, or a general Zelda thread? I need to vent about this game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530083

Vent away.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Chronojam posted:

Here's an article about it that includes the user you mentioned

Speaking of awesome Miiverse artists, I just came across Emperor_Vo who is pretty amazing. Shes got some great multi-post drawings too. I discovered her, oddly enough, by the drawing of a nautilus in the Wheel of Fortune community!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Crowbear posted:

I'd argue that it doesn't really matter. The impact that this sort of thing has is a drop in the bucket compared to muscle memory which has never been an issue for me with any of the Big 3's placement of these buttons. The only thing which ever throws me off is the situation where I spend months playing a game using one controller and then switching to another due to a different game coming out or something. Even then, the muscle memory kicks back in shortly after.

toxicsunset posted:

Thank you for this informed, not-at-all-anecdotal evidence. It's not like summer exists, or there are exceptions. I didn't even have chores growing up

My example is anecdotal, but a lot of statistics regarding this subject suggest that my situation pretty much fits the norm these days. This is actually a big debate amongst parents right now and there are many who firmly believe that keeping your kid really busy all of the time is good for them (I personally don't believe this, but I have little choice most of the time).

Summer = putting your kids in a camp or something from 8am-5pm give or take an hour because in most households both parents work and don't take summers off. In other words, it really isn't all that different save for the absence of homework which is normally done by kids during whatever after care program they are involved with during the school year anyways so there is little time savings.

In any case, the point was to show that even most little kids do not have over 4-5 hours of disposable video game time in a single sitting which is true and those that do have the time are often not permitted to use it like that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo Direct tomorrow.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/13/nintendo-direct-shows-off-3ds-and-wii-u-games-tomorrow/

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Considering the last Nintendo Direct was such a huge info dump I'm not expecting much out of this one. I think they really should've staggered those game announcements across a month or two instead of just pooping it all out at once, now I feel like they're not gonna throw us any bones until E3 season.

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Some Criterion guy talks about the Wii U version of Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eH3DmUgokk
New stuff includes:
  • PC-level graphics and assets
  • God Mode on your gamepad in two-player
  • Miiverse support tied to the Autolog
  • Off-TV Play
  • Support for Wiimote and Pro Controller
  • Actually made by Criterion instead of an outside porting dev

Sounds good, I never picked up the first one.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Xavier434 posted:

I'd argue that it doesn't really matter. The impact that this sort of thing has is a drop in the bucket compared to muscle memory which has never been an issue for me with any of the Big 3's placement of these buttons. The only thing which ever throws me off is the situation where I spend months playing a game using one controller and then switching to another due to a different game coming out or something. Even then, the muscle memory kicks back in shortly after.
It can be a problem with onscreen button prompts. Like, I played GTA4 on a 360 controller, and got very used to the idea that Y is top, X is left.

Well I no longer have an Xbox, but playing games with a Classic Pro on Wii or on my 3DS, I'm constantly mashing X when the game gives me a Y prompt. And then you have the fact that both Microsoft and Nintendo make 'A' confirm and 'B' cancel, even though the buttons are reversed between their respective systems.

I kind of appreciate the fact that Sony just used shapes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Chaltab posted:

And then you have the fact that both Microsoft and Nintendo make 'A' confirm and 'B' cancel, even though the buttons are reversed between their respective systems.

I kind of appreciate the fact that Sony just used shapes.

I take it you've never played an early-era PSX game, or any Japanese version of a PS2/PS3 game? O confirm / X cancel!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Some Criterion guy talks about the Wii U version of Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

New stuff includes:
  • Off-TV Play

That sounds fantastic but it probably won't sell that well. :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never really liked driving games but I bought Driver San Francisco on a whim after seeing some of a let's play and really loved it. Is the Need for Speed series anything like the Driver series?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cuboidal 64 posted:

New stuff includes:
  • Off-TV Play

Looks good, but I haven't played a Need for Speed game since Underground 2 (though I did play Burnout Paradise, which I really enjoyed for just loving around in the world). Can anyone compare them?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Artix74 posted:

Looks good, but I haven't played a Need for Speed game since Underground 2 (though I did play Burnout Paradise, which I really enjoyed for just loving around in the world). Can anyone compare them?

The new Most Wanted is pretty much a sequel to Burnout Paradise, being made by the same developers.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I never really liked driving games but I bought Driver San Francisco on a whim after seeing some of a let's play and really loved it. Is the Need for Speed series anything like the Driver series?

Need for speed is much more arcade. Cars can go 200 mph and then turn on a dime, and flying isn't uncommon. That said it's fun as gently caress.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
For a long while the NFS series had become :rice: and full of terrible riced out cars with awful paint jobs? The last NFS I really loved was Hot Pursuit 2. Please tell me the new Most Wanted feels more like the old school NFS games, if so I am definitely buying it. It looks that way from the trailer, but I don't want to get my hopes up :ohdear:

Is it so much to ask to have a solid racing game, with arcade-like physics and tons of room to run from cops without being GTA?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Huh, Need For Speed looks promising. I'm considering selling my Xbox version since I haven't gotten that far in it yet. Any indication how the Wii U version will handle acceleration and brake controls? I'm so used to analog triggers now.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Frozen-Solid posted:

For a long while the NFS series had become :rice: and full of terrible riced out cars with awful paint jobs? The last NFS I really loved was Hot Pursuit 2. Please tell me the new Most Wanted feels more like the old school NFS games, if so I am definitely buying it. It looks that way from the trailer, but I don't want to get my hopes up :ohdear:

Is it so much to ask to have a solid racing game, with arcade-like physics and tons of room to run from cops without being GTA?

It's made by Criterion (aka the greatest racing game developer ever), so it actually feels more like Burnout Paradise (aka the greatest racing game ever) with cops more than a NFS game.

I didn't think it was quite as good as Paradise but it's a fun game.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cuboidal 64 posted:

New stuff includes:
  • Off-TV Play

Wow, looks like the first true Wii U port.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Ricky Gervais's twin brother Some Criterion guy talks about the Wii U version of Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

Looks pretty good. I was surprised how much I enjoyed playing the last version on a friend's 360 (before playing it I was also put off by the '2 fast 2 furious' style) but I only had Wii and 3DS and knew neither of those would be comparable ports.

Balcony fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 13, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I was considering picking NFS up, but it really sounds worth waiting for the Wii U version.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

so apparently this is a thing found on a recent EBgames/GameStop list

Watch Dogs and Rainbow 6 for the Wii U? color me surprised if its true.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The list I have has Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 listed as releasing on the same date. If that was true Platinum is fighting an uphill battle, it would be a Rayman vs. Mario situation.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Watch Dogs isn't secretly a next-gen project then the Wii U can definitely handle it, so it's not especially far-fetched.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if Watch Dogs came out on both current-gen and next-gen platforms. You saw a bunch of that when the 360 came out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Veotax posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Watch Dogs came out on both current-gen and next-gen platforms. You saw a bunch of that when the 360 came out.

Yeah I was just thinking that, we're probably going to see a bunch of games being multi-generation in the next couple years. It wouldn't be all that shocking if stuff like the next CoD or Watch Dogs getting multi-generational releases.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Veotax posted:

I think that will continue to happen if the adoption rate for the next consoles is slow due to expense, or something dumb like requiring new controllers and lacking backwards compatibility.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Maybe if we're lucky, they'll talk about a couple of upcoming eShop games and one of the two firmware updates they plan on releasing between now and the end of spring.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The list I have has Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 listed as releasing on the same date. If that was true Platinum is fighting an uphill battle, it would be a Rayman vs. Mario situation.

It's probably safe to say those are placeholder release dates. Given that Nintendo will be publishing both games, it seems unlikely they would release Pikmin and Wonderful 101 on the same day.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Veotax posted:

I think we're all excited to see this kind of thing happen again...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Operative posted:

Maybe if we're lucky, they'll talk about a couple of upcoming eShop games and one of the two firmware updates they plan on releasing between now and the end of spring.

I believe it is just going to be showing off third party games for WiiU and 3DS.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Maybe we'll finally get some Bayonetta 2 footage? Please? Please??? Platinum come on guys don't be dicks about this just show Bayonetta 2.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

zenintrude posted:

I think we're all excited to see this kind of thing happen again...

I had no idea there was a 32X CD :psyduck:

Had a nice experience with Nintendo web support last night. I was trying to come up with some extra Club Nintendo coins, and I remembered a problem I had with registering Kirby's Dream Collection a couple months ago. I got a post-play survey, but never a product registration survey. I contacted Nintendo via the website about this, and within a couple hours they had the original 40-coin survey showing up in my account. Filled it out and snagged Paper Mario with 0 coins to spare. :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Minidust posted:

I had no idea there was a 32X CD :psyduck:

Its actually just having the 32X and CD hooked up at the same time. This way games take advantage of the capacity of the futuristic compact disc, as well as all those BITS!

Edit: Come to think of it, the fact that Fahrenheit came with both the Sega CD and the 32X CD versions is pretty cool, like the DVD/Bluray combos of today. I kinda wish that would happen again. Well... aside from these of course

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread