Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

echobucket posted:

my 2009 iMac has a core i5. :colbert:

Edit: And actually I had been thinking of selling it. Although I imagine shipping it across the country to another goon would make me nervous for it. :ohdear:

It's me, I'm the sucker that bought the c2d iMac. To be fair, I went into the store with full intentions of just buying the 21" but I fell in love.

Is there any way to update the CPU in that one?

Edit: ugh, it's a lovely 775, n/m

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Edit: ugh, it's a lovely 775, n/m
I bet you could find a similar wattage Core 2 Quad for cheap if you were so inclined. It might downclock the FSB if it's currently at 1333 to 1066 but you'd have 4 more threads. I have not seen a photo of the CPU socket though; I can assume it has a nice little lever like the i5/i7s, but who knows?

I mean, that's a ~7yo CPU, but there is an opportunity to increase value.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I just ordered a new Retina 15" with the following specs about a week ago:

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

and today Apple bumped the specs and included a "faster processor" but I can't figure out what that actually means. It hasn't shipped yet though. From what I can tell, they just lowered the base prices on everything but the hardware is the same, just cheaper. Is that right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Call them and they'll adjust the price for you

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
So then the only thing that changed was the price, right? Not the actual hardware? I mean, a 2.7GHz Quad i7 from before is the same chip they are using in the new builds, just at a different price?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bazanga posted:

So then the only thing that changed was the price, right? Not the actual hardware? I mean, a 2.7GHz Quad i7 from before is the same chip they are using in the new builds, just at a different price?

Arstechnica posted:

The 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro sees a slight increase in its processor speeds as well, though it didn't get a price drop. The base model now comes with a quad-core 2.4GHz Core i7, up from 2.3GHz. The top-end model now comes with a 2.7GHz quad-core processor, up from 2.6GHz. It also comes standard with 16GB of RAM. Prices are the same at $2,199 and $2,799 respectively, but you do get a little more for your money.

And, a commenter left this note:

The processor bump isn't exactly due to Apple's munificence; it's Intel's 6-month refresh for Ivy Bridge CPUs - i.e. i7 3612QM is now the faster i7 3632QM, and so on.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bazanga posted:

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/02/13Apple-Updates-Processors-Prices-of-MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display.html

Some more info in there.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Refurb prices are a bit weird right now..

13" Retina Pro with 128GB SSD: $1439.
13" Retina Pro with 256GB SSD: $1359.

Anyone in the market for a 13" Retina may want to grab that second one.

edit: I think it's because that second model has been discontinued due to the spec bump in the new high-end model. But that refurb has the same CPU as the low-end, which isn't far off. Still an awesome deal.

edit 2: anybody want to buy my 13" 2012 Air (base model, 6 months of included AppleCare remaining) for $950, and iPad 3 (16GB/black/verizon, ~1.5 years of AppleCare+ remaining) for $575? :buddy:

Karsh fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 13, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Karsh posted:

Refurb prices are a bit weird right now..

13" Retina Pro with 256GB SSD: $1359.

That's less than I paid for my 13" Retina 128GB, even after the 10% off + open-box at Best Buy. Ugh.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not yet, 13-inch Retina MBP. 6 more months and you will be mine... :parrot:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I can't wait anymore. My poor 2009 Macbook Pro is too broken to live but too stubborn to die. An intervention is needed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Good thing AAPL just updated the rMBP line.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Selfishly hoping for delays of the updated rMBP so I can feel confident picking up the current 15".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There have been a record number of Macbook Pros in SA-Mart the last week.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

There have been a record number of Macbook Pros in SA-Mart the last week.

Well the product line up rumor mill has the MBP line getting killed off in the next refresh cycle, leaving just the MBA and the rMBPs for the laptop lineup.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I was thinking about a loaded 27" iMac to replace my MBP (which hasn't left my desk in months) but estimated delivery is March 21st, which is crazy. I can't buy it in-store either because I want a specific configuration.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Look at the lineup at bhphoto.com they have several configurations and I got the exact one I wanted (base 27" model with Fusion drive upgrade)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
B&H has the 680MX models on backorder too, as does everyone else. So I don't have a specific reason to order from B&H unless I want to support the most racist retailer or something.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

I was thinking about a loaded 27" iMac to replace my MBP (which hasn't left my desk in months) but estimated delivery is March 21st, which is crazy. I can't buy it in-store either because I want a specific configuration.

I'd just suck it up and put your order in. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it'll come in sooner. I'm guessing its due to the shortage, but I'm not getting my normally "on par with edu" EPP discount with the new iMac so I will be ordering from MacMall. They let you BTO it just like the Apple page. They're claiming shipping in 3 to 4 weeks at the moment.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How difficult would it be to swap drives and RAM on the new iMac? Can a SSD be added for a "fusion" drive or does it replace the other drive?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How difficult would it be to swap drives and RAM on the new iMac? Can a SSD be added for a "fusion" drive or does it replace the other drive?

The 27" has user accessible ram. Thats it. Dont buy it with plans on doing anything else as the screen is glued in place.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I called up Apple about the order I placed last week and they repeatedly said that the changes they announced today was just a price drop on current hardware, not any sort of hardware changes to the 15" rMBP. The stock builds got a speed bump, but its using the same hardware that was available in BTO before. That seems to go against the rumor mill saying that Apple is using newer Intel processors, unless this Apple rep didn't know what they were talking about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

http://blog.macsales.com/15932-what-does-it-take-to-upgrade-a-2012-imac-21-5

OWC has a video up where they do an install of 16GB RAM on the new iMac. $119 gets you the 2x8GB chips and all the tools you need to take it apart and the tape you need to put it back together again.

According to Arstechnica there's no connector on the logic board for the SSD if you buy the non-SSD model. So just get a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 external SSD.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

echobucket posted:

I'm so disappointed by these updates if it means Haswell is delayed. I'm so ready to sell my iMac and buy an rMBP.

This doesn't "mean" anything beyond a price drop that's being falsely reported as a spec bump.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Their costs to upgrade to higher capacity SSD is a lot lower as well in the new rMBP refresh. $300 to go from 256 to 512 compared to more than $500 when I ordered in December.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can a SSD be used as a boot drive over thunderbolt? Does TB have the bandwidth to make it worth it?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

http://blog.macsales.com/15932-what-does-it-take-to-upgrade-a-2012-imac-21-5

OWC has a video up where they do an install of 16GB RAM on the new iMac. $119 gets you the 2x8GB chips and all the tools you need to take it apart and the tape you need to put it back together again.

According to Arstechnica there's no connector on the logic board for the SSD if you buy the non-SSD model. So just get a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 external SSD.

I made it about 12 seconds into that video before saying "gently caress that" out loud.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Legdiian posted:

I made it about 12 seconds into that video before saying "gently caress that" out loud.

I thought you were just being extreme and making this out to be bigger than it is. Then I clicked on the video, made it 12 seconds in, and ALSO said "gently caress that" out loud.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

NOTinuyasha posted:

B&H has the 680MX models on backorder too, as does everyone else. So I don't have a specific reason to order from B&H unless I want to support the most racist retailer or something.

Wait what?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

MrBond posted:

Wait what?

http://gothamist.com/2007/10/17/bh_settles_disc.php

Looks like they got caught paying hispanic workers less than everyone else in the warehouses.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

flavor posted:

This doesn't "mean" anything beyond a price drop that's being falsely reported as a spec bump.
rMBP processor speeds are up 100MHz across the board. Doesn't seem false to me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

JP Money posted:

I thought you were just being extreme and making this out to be bigger than it is. Then I clicked on the video, made it 12 seconds in, and ALSO said "gently caress that" out loud.

I watched the whole thing, and my palms were drenched with sweat. Just watching them remove the logic board made me short for breath, trying to loosen my collar.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Sonic Dude posted:

I've checked it and you're right. Wasn't quite clear in some reports.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I watched the whole thing, and my palms were drenched with sweat. Just watching them remove the logic board made me short for breath, trying to loosen my collar.

Just remember to cut the red wire not the blue one.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Sonic Dude posted:

Those speeds (and hardware) were already available in BTO, though. The only thing that has changed is that the stock build options have been bumped by 100MHz while the price was lowered. I'm not sure if this counts as a processor hardware "upgrade" or Apple just increasing the speed of their base build models and lowering the prices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can a SSD be used as a boot drive over thunderbolt? Does TB have the bandwidth to make it worth it?

Is 10Gbs enough?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Wasn't that bad. Is that an OWC guitar pick? Maybe I have just taken apart a lot of random gadgets but that doesn't look so bad.

Just don't slice the iSight off.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bob Morales posted:

Is 10Gbs enough?

I don't know what the read/write of the HDD in it now would be, and whether or not you can have a boot drive over thunderbolt.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Bazanga posted:

Those speeds (and hardware) were already available in BTO, though. The only thing that has changed is that the stock build options have been bumped by 100MHz while the price was lowered. I'm not sure if this counts as a processor hardware "upgrade" or Apple just increasing the speed of their base build models and lowering the prices.
No - yesterday the options were 2.3, 2.6, and 2.7 on the 15". Today they're 2.4, 2.7, and 2.8. The 13" also has a 2.6 on the higher-end stock model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't that bad. Is that an OWC guitar pick? Maybe I have just taken apart a lot of random gadgets but that doesn't look so bad.

Just don't slice the iSight off.

Yeah it seemed more like a pain in the rear end than scary. Then again I had fix small electronics for a living a few years back and I'm kind of desensitized to tearing things apart.