Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Tigren posted:

It may turn out to be disappointing like their "winter saison", but 21st Amendment is releasing a barleywine in 8 ounce cans in the next couple of months. This seems pretty cool. That's like a Red Bull can, right?

8 ounces? Hrm that's interesting. I wonder what the price will be. It's a good barleywine, but I won't pay more than $10 for a 4 pack of 8 ounce cans. Also that's definitely the worst art for their cans ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Yeah, this is stuff not distributed in "Chicago" but hits most of the rest of Illinois.

The Pickadilly on Neil (just north of Green and just south of downtown Champaign) is where I first discovered craft beer. I haven't been to the shop in nearly a decade, so I can't vouch for it's selection any more. But unless things have changed, everything can be bought per bottle so mixed sixers all around!

Ahhh, the days where I had to somehow justify to my poor college self that $2 a bottle for Two Brothers Northwind (my favorite beer at the time) was worth it... I kind of miss that.

Binny's has a Champaign location now too, so it could be a nice alternate stop.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Midorka posted:

8 ounces? Hrm that's interesting. I wonder what the price will be. It's a good barleywine, but I won't pay more than $10 for a 4 pack of 8 ounce cans. Also that's definitely the worst art for their cans ever.

Here's a better picture of it. Something in the made up back story of involves the Gold Rush, so that's where the design comes in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Right on, yeah, downtown's much more out of my way either when I'm at work or at home, but I haven't heard of that shop before so I'll add it to the list of places to pop in to eventually.

Well everywhere around here has 22s, the only place I saw the 4 pack was that liquor store on Convoy sort of near O'Brien's.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

wattershed posted:

Right on, yeah, downtown's much more out of my way either when I'm at work or at home, but I haven't heard of that shop before so I'll add it to the list of places to pop in to eventually.

It's actually a pizza place. They had a pretty decent beer selection too, but probably not anything worth making a special trip over. But if you're in the area and need dinner, they also had a large 1 topping carry out special for 8 bucks, so

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So there are local growler fill stores in my area that use counter-pressure systems, but I heard of a place in Houston called Growlers that uses something called the Pegas Craftap. My knowledge on this is pretty limited; I just know that you want a growler filled using counter pressure to keep out foam, keeping the beer fresher.

What benefits does that Pegas Craftap system provide apart from looking fancy as hell?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

air- posted:

So there are local growler fill stores in my area that use counter-pressure systems, but I heard of a place in Houston called Growlers that uses something called the Pegas Craftap. My knowledge on this is pretty limited; I just know that you want a growler filled using counter pressure to keep out foam, keeping the beer fresher.

What benefits does that Pegas Craftap system provide apart from looking fancy as hell?

Most growler fills I've ever had were a bit of vinyl tube jammed into the tap.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

And another thing to bring to the table: the store I go to in Dallas (Craft and Growler) purges the container with CO2 then fills via beer guns, is that still also not the same thing as counter pressure? I read this and got even more confused.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/01/beer-gun-and-counter-pressure-filler.html

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Angry Grimace posted:

Most growler fills I've ever had were a bit of vinyl tube jammed into the tap.

You've never been to Victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD-KuGuEzHw

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

I heard a story that the one Victory has was the prototype, Victory loved it so much they bought it instantly. I see it in Iron Hill Brewpubs now, it's fantastic.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. I like beer too. Anyone got a good recommendation for a morning beer or is that not a thing anymore?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Herr Tog posted:

Hey guys. I like beer too. Anyone got a good recommendation for a morning beer or is that not a thing anymore?

Is this like morning beer as in alcoholism?

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

Herr Tog posted:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16043/43926

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

rage-saq posted:

Is this like morning beer as in alcoholism?

College and unemployment are a hell of a time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Herr Tog posted:

They don't call it Founders Breakfast Stout for nothing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

the yellow dart posted:

College and unemployment are a hell of a time.

In either of these situations, why would you ever be awake in the morning?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

They don't call it Founders Breakfast Stout for nothing.

Fantastic~!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Don't forget Terrapin Wake 'n Bake.

edit: And Central Waters Peruvian Morning. And all of the different breakfast stout variants from Founders.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Don't forget Terrapin Wake 'n Bake.

edit: And Central Waters Peruvian Morning. And all of the different breakfast stout variants from Founders.

Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch (and all varieties).

And speaking of PM... If any Chicagoons get a heads-up on it hitting shelves locally, a kindly post would be much appreciated. I only saw it on the shelves for about a week last year and would definitely like to get my hands on some this year.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

danbanana posted:

Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch (and all varieties).

And speaking of PM... If any Chicagoons get a heads-up on it hitting shelves locally, a kindly post would be much appreciated. I only saw it on the shelves for about a week last year and would definitely like to get my hands on some this year.

Beer Geek Breakfast? I think my Binny's has it right now (3000 N. Clark in Lakeview), I'll be able to tell you for sure when I go to work tomorrow.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Slimy Hog posted:

Beer Geek Breakfast? I think my Binny's has it right now (3000 N. Clark in Lakeview), I'll be able to tell you for sure when I go to work tomorrow.

No, Peruvian Morning. I'm looking for it too.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is that something worth searching out? I know a manager of a Binnys in Schaumburg if you want me to send him an email.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

crazyfish posted:

No, Peruvian Morning. I'm looking for it too.

You and dan, I could probably grab some PM for you locally, PM me if you want me to try.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

You and dan, I could probably grab some PM for you locally, PM me if you want me to try.

I'm not at that point yet. Just asking for a friendly heads up in case someone has a spot in Chicago with it. I don't think demand is going to be insane. I would just rather not miss out if possible.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Tigren posted:

It may turn out to be disappointing like their "winter saison", but 21st Amendment is releasing a barleywine in 8 ounce cans in the next couple of months. This seems pretty cool. That's like a Red Bull can, right?

it's a very boring barleywine and if they are charging the equivalent of a $10 bomber, not at all worth it

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
CCB posted all the important information about Hunahpu's day minus the guest tap list and any special barrel aged variants they'll have.

quote:

The 4th Annual Hunahpu's Day Release Party is set for Saturday, March 9th at Cigar City Brewing. This will also be the 2nd time Hunahpu's Day has been featured for Tampa Bay Beer Week.

Gates will open at 7:50am. Draft beer will start pouring at 9:00am. Breakfast will be made available when the gates open.

There will be several food trucks on site throughout the day. The full list of food trucks and vendors will be available soon.

There will be no parking at Cigar City Brewing on March 8th and 9th. Instead there is a lot across the street at 4005 W. Spruce Street. There will be signs indicating where to park. That means the Friday before Hunahpu's Day there will be no parking at Cigar City. This will give us plenty of time to set-up and make sure everything goes as smooth as possible for Hunahpu's Day.

To receive your bottles of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout, you will need to get a wristband at the entrance of the festival. You will be ID'd as well, and you will receive an additional wristband indicating you are 21+ years of age. The wristbands are ABSOLUTELY required for purchase of Hunahpu's bottles and will be cut off of your wrist by an employee upon purchase. If you lose it we are very sorry but this is non-negotiable. Wristbands are handed out on a first-come-first-serve bases while supplies last, limited one per person.

Bottles of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout are 750mL (25.4 FL OZ), and will be sold for $20, CASH ONLY. Bottles will be sold at 3 locations in the lot.

There will be a 3 bottle limit for the first 4,000 guests. They will receive a special wristband. The next 1,000 guests will be limited to 2 bottles and will receive a different wristband. You can only have one type of wristband.

Bottle sales will start when the last wristband is given out, or at 12:00pm, whichever comes first. At 5:00pm, sales will open up to the general public with a limit of one case (12 bottles) per person. If you have a wristband, you are ONLY guaranteed your bottles until 5:00pm!

We are going to sell special tokens for $5 a piece. These tokens will be good for ANY purchase on Hunahpu's Day, excluding food trucks and non-affiliated vendors. This means you can use a $5 token to purchase any beer, bottle, merchandise, etc., of equal value, inside the tasting room and outside. So in essence, a $5 token is equivalent to a $5 bill. There will be several booths selling tokens scattered around the lot.

There will be more draft beer stations available than last year. We're going to feature many guest beers and plenty of special beers from us. A full draft list will probably not be available until the week of Hunahpu's Day.

Live music will start at 11:00am. There will be several bands throughout the day. A full list will be announced soon.

I'll be flying down from WNY for my first time at Hunahpu which is surprising since I fly down there at like 3-4 times a year to visit friends. I know someone posted earlier about going, but anyone else going now?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

atothesquiz posted:

CCB posted all the important information about Hunahpu's day minus the guest tap list and any special barrel aged variants they'll have.

I'll be flying down from WNY for my first time at Hunahpu which is surprising since I fly down there at like 3-4 times a year to visit friends. I know someone posted earlier about going, but anyone else going now?

I'll be throwing up a post about this in the Florida Goon Meets thread here in a few minutes. I'll be trying to organize a group there.

Edit: Link for the Lazy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2733157

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 14, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

cryme posted:

it's a very boring barleywine and if they are charging the equivalent of a $10 bomber, not at all worth it

I feel bad but I don't think I like 21st Amendment Brewery very much from what I've had.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel bad but I don't think I like 21st Amendment Brewery very much from what I've had.

I hear you. Awesome packaging, uninspiring brew.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Angry Grimace posted:

For me they are always on the cusp of being great but end up being just alright. I liked Monk's Blood and Bitter American, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hell or High Watermelon is a great beer to have your friend/girlfriend/wife/mom/etc that doesn't like beer or only likes macro brews try. It is very light on flavor and legitimately tastes like real watermelon (not like artificial watermelon flavoring). I give 21st Amendment a free pass for that beer alone, even though I don't love it much.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Angry Grimace posted:

don't feel bad, they seem to be doing just fine despite their middle-of-the-road output

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Glottis posted:

For me they are always on the cusp of being great but end up being just alright. I liked Monk's Blood and Bitter American, though.

Bitter American tastes pretty watery to me.

San Diego Goons (without jobs): Hamilton's is doing Pliny the Younger tomorrow at 3 PM. Yeah. But last year I showed up 1/2 an hour ahead of open and was something like the eighth person in line and got enough PTY for an entire evening. Toro is doing it tomorrow as well, but I think they're doing some kind of funky event surrounding it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 14, 2013

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Picked up some 2013 Bigfoot today, didn't realize it came in 4 packs this year. Tricky bastards, now I have to buy two 4 packs to keep my constant 5 year vertical going. This year is 2007-2013 for me.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

Bitter American tastes pretty watery to me.

San Diego Goons (without jobs): Hamilton's is doing Pliny the Younger tomorrow at 3 PM. Yeah. But last year I showed up 1/2 an hour ahead of open and was something like the eighth person in line and got enough PTY for an entire evening. Toro is doing it tomorrow as well, but I think they're doing some kind of funky event surrounding it.

I'd like to try it once, and if it doesn't completely destroy Heady Topper I'll be content to never try it again, but I don't think this year is going to be the year. I could slip away from work for a bit for this, but the time and the waiting just don't seem worth it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I'm sitting here, drinking what I believe is my first ever barleywine from Dogfish Head called Olde School. Since this is my first one, I'm not too sure if this is a good benchmark for a good barleywine. It's a bit too sweet for my tastes, but its so complex in terms of other flavors. Any suggestions on any other good barleywines?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

obi_ant posted:

So I'm sitting here, drinking what I believe is my first ever barleywine from Dogfish Head called Olde School. Since this is my first one, I'm not too sure if this is a good benchmark for a good barleywine. It's a bit too sweet for my tastes, but its so complex in terms of other flavors. Any suggestions on any other good barleywines?

You'll find that most barleywines are very intense when consumed fresh. As Josh WoW alluded to, grab a pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, put it in the basement for 6 months and then start opening one every 6 months or so after that. They improve dramatically over time as the flavors mellow.

Some other brands to look for are Avery Hog Heaven, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Stone Old Guardian and Bigfoot as mentioned.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Docjowles posted:

You'll find that most barleywines are very intense when consumed fresh. As Josh WoW alluded to, grab a pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, put it in the basement for 6 months and then start opening one every 6 months or so after that. They improve dramatically over time as the flavors mellow.

Some other brands to look for are Avery Hog Heaven, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Stone Old Guardian and Bigfoot as mentioned.

Mad River John Barleycorn, North Coast Old Stock, Anchor Old Foghorn, Alesmith Old Numbskull, and Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws are also very good.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Just to state the obvious, 2013 Sucaba is amazing as usual. Don't feel the need to sit on this one unless you are doing it purely for fun, it's already got great character and smoothness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Glottis posted:

Just to state the obvious, 2013 Sucaba is amazing as usual. Don't feel the need to sit on this one unless you are doing it purely for fun, it's already got great character and smoothness.

I just opened my 2012 Sucaba a week ago and it was fantastic.