Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ithaqua posted:

If the job doesn't explicitly call for a graduate degree, the exact same rate as a bachelors. It's just that some grad degree holders think they're entitled to more money.

Depends on the company. If a company does value it, they're going to value it to the tune of $10-25k a year or so, even if they're doing the same work as someone with a bachelors. The differential will generally disappear as you gain experience though. Personally, in finance, I got a $25k/year raise and a promotion right after I got my masters and they told me the reason they did that was because I got the degree. I work with plenty of people with only bachelors degrees but with more experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

KidDynamite posted:

So what does a CS job with a masters command? Considering most starting CS jobs are what other jobs expect with a masters the number must be uh, impressive.

For a whole host of reasons this is impossible to generalize; however, here's some data from a few years ago:

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, starting salary offers for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering averaged $52,464 in 2005; offers for those with a master’s degree averaged $60,354. Starting salary offers for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in computer science averaged $50,820.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Some companies consider a master's equal to a bachelor's + a few years experience. I know Google loves grad degrees, for example.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So I'm gathering that right now I should be looking towards a master's, but to basically treat it like a bachelor's and not expect the world from it. I'm really just looking for a solid education leading to a satisfying career, not a get-rich-quick card, so I'm more than fine with that. I sent out a couple emails to my school's advising department and am planning on meeting with an advisor sometime in the next week or so. I'll discuss my situation and feel out what my options are.

I'm also going to start learning Python on my own and generally work on shaking off the rust from the last six years of not-coding. I hope I haven't forgotten too much from my high school classes. I'll sign up for a couple classes on Coursera as well when I get home tonight.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

Ithaqua posted:

If the job doesn't explicitly call for a graduate degree, the exact same rate as a bachelors. It's just that some grad degree holders think they're entitled to more money.

I don't get it. If I invest 2+ years and all of that money into a post-grad degree, I'm not allowed to expect to be compensated more than someone without a bachelors? What's the incentive then?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

biochemist posted:

I don't get it. If I invest 2+ years and all of that money into a post-grad degree, I'm not allowed to expect to be compensated more than someone without a bachelors? What's the incentive then?

From what I've seen the short answer to this is: "Not in this field, no".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

So what does a CS job with a masters command? Considering most starting CS jobs are what other jobs expect with a masters the number must be uh, impressive.
It's a moderate pay bump at my company, where you start with the "Senior Engineer" title and get to bypass the 5 years of experience to get there if you just have a BS.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The only reasons to get an MS in CSE are if you want to get a job that requires one (specialized industry), or if you are looking to change focus to something that your prior experience doesn't align with. If you want to write software in industry, the MS won't really help you with that. There is very little difference in the code that a BS grad writes vs what an MS grad writes, and neither has practical software lifecycle experience unless they got it as an intern. If you want to work in a specialized field though, then the MS might be what gets you the job.

Edit: Or if you want to go into academia, but then you are presumably moving on to a PhD

armorer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 13, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is according to the Hard Times report:

http://cew.georgetown.edu/unemployment/

Also :lol: CIS unemployment rate.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

biochemist posted:

Look at it from the other way around. How does your master's degree help your software development for a given company? Unless the work you'd be doing is in the same field as what you did your master's work on, the answer is probably, "It doesn't." And if it's not beneficial to the company, why should they give you more money?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cicero posted:

Look at it from the other way around. How does your master's degree help your software development for a given company?

I'd say that a good Master's Thesis is a proof by demonstration that a person can:

- survey the state-of-the-art in a technical area
- identify an interesting technical challenge in that area
- independently design a solution to this problem
- convince a panel of superiors that this solution is worthy of implementation
- independently implement this design
- design and execute experiments that will support this solution
- write a document rationally supporting this solution with theory and experimental results
- verbally argue in support of this solution in front of a panel of superiors

All of which is relevant to functioning in a real-world software development team and all of which requires a much higher level of effort at the Master's level than at the undergraduate level.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ithaqua posted:

Objectively false over here. People with masters literally come in a pay grade higher. This "entitlement" stems from the fact that it's loving true for most of the world, not some mythical land of make-believe.

edit since that's been covered:

Brannock posted:

So I'm gathering that right now I should be looking towards a master's, but to basically treat it like a bachelor's and not expect the world from it. I'm really just looking for a solid education leading to a satisfying career, not a get-rich-quick card, so I'm more than fine with that. I sent out a couple emails to my school's advising department and am planning on meeting with an advisor sometime in the next week or so. I'll discuss my situation and feel out what my options are.

I'm also going to start learning Python on my own and generally work on shaking off the rust from the last six years of not-coding. I hope I haven't forgotten too much from my high school classes. I'll sign up for a couple classes on Coursera as well when I get home tonight.
I'd look at a graduate degree as "filling in" areas where you didn't get to in a bachelor's. Didn't get to dive into compilers, make that up. Didn't see OS's past filesystems? Make it up.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 13, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Objectively false over here. People with masters literally come in a pay grade higher. This "entitlement" stems from the fact that it's loving true for most of the world, not some mythical land of make-believe.

edit since that's been covered:

I'd look at a graduate degree as "filling in" areas where you didn't get to in a bachelor's. Didn't get to dive into compilers, make that up. Didn't see OS's past filesystems? Make it up.

I should've qualified that my statement was generally true for my particular segment of the industry. Blanket statements are bad when we work in such a big field. Sorry!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Generally speaking a master's will get you higher pay simply from the negotiating advantage you get by having other companies that would (equally wrongly) give you higher pay. Even if the entire industry realizes that they don't make you a better developer, the pay advantage could persist for a while for this reason.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Cicero posted:

Look at it from the other way around. How does your master's degree help your software development for a given company? Unless the work you'd be doing is in the same field as what you did your master's work on, the answer is probably, "It doesn't." And if it's not beneficial to the company, why should they give you more money?

At my company, my supervisor was like "you should get a master's degree. We'll pay for the master's degree, we'll pay you $30,000 more than you're already making, and we'll move you out of QA."

It was a very compelling argument.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shrughes posted:

Generally speaking a master's will get you higher pay simply from the negotiating advantage you get by having other companies that would (equally wrongly) give you higher pay. Even if the entire industry realizes that they don't make you a better developer, the pay advantage could persist for a while for this reason.

They don't make you a worse developer, and it's comparatively likely that someone with a masters has a better understanding of various parts of theory and application than someone with only a bachelors at the same experience level. Having a bunch of developers with advanced degrees can help a company sell technology a to non-technical investors and clients.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

armorer posted:

The only reasons to get an MS in CSE are if you want to get a job that requires one (specialized industry)

In my experience, this is not true. Sure, a web development shop is probably not going to have much reason to hire someone with a masters degree over a bachelors, but it's my understanding (both from experience and speaking with others) that there is a *very* high concentration of workers with advanced degrees at companies like Google, Apple, VMware, Microsoft, Oracle, etc.

Also, for what it's worth, where I went to school there was a 5th year master's degree program, and most of my classmates completed it. In fact, according to the department website:
"More than 70 percent of EECS undergraduates apply for this program, and more than half enter and complete it."

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I am not at all opposed to people doing a masters. I just think that, for the vast majority of programming jobs out there, it really doesn't help you. I agree completely that there are places where it will get you more money. I also agree completely that it is valued at big software companies like the ones you mentioned. If you want to work for a software company, you should take your masters classes in something widely applicable (like algorithms, networking, software engineering, operating systems, compilers, etc.) Don't take a computer graphics focus in your masters classes and expect to get paid more building web applications. That is mostly my point.

Even at the big software companies, the MS is not what will get you the job. Being able to speak intelligently about projects you have done is what wins technical interviews. The highest points come from projects that convey expertise in an area of interest to the company.

If your college offers a 5th year masters program, absolutely take it. I think you would be stupid not to really. Just make sure you work a decent internship the last two (ideally three) summers of your college career.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

armorer posted:

I just think that, for the vast majority of programming jobs out there, it really doesn't help you.

The vast majority of programming jobs out there are also mundane and boring. After 5-10 years of doing webapps or gluing enterprise cruft together it gets old. All of the interesting jobs I saw at good companies doing interesting stuff wanted masters/phd.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 14, 2013

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Steve French posted:

I think this is a pretty poor generalization; a masters degree is not like a PhD; I have a lot of trouble believing that the average fresh graduate with a bachelors and masters in CS is less proficient at practical development work than the average fresh graduate with only a bachelors.

If your point is that you'd rather hire someone with a bachelors and 1 or 2 years of experience over someone who spent that time getting their masters degree, that's a different matter, and it's really more that you're looking for someone experienced rather than the masters being a red flag.

Of course, to add on to all of that, many people graduate with lots of internship experience, and some masters degree programs are structured as work/study where you do your masters thesis in industry.

I'm not sure it qualifies as a generalization- I'm only saying I'm initially a little wary of CS ppl who opted to continue studying right away, due to anecdotal experiences as mentioned already by others. Certainly I would expect someone with a masters or phd should be more proficient.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

unixbeard posted:

All of the interesting jobs I saw at good companies doing interesting stuff wanted masters/phd.

These jobs are exactly what I meant by "specialized industry". I think we are saying the same thing. It sounds to me like you are talking about jobs other than "just writing code in industry" which is what I said the BS was fine for.

You should get an MS if you want a job that requires (or "strongly prefers") one. This includes jobs like doing operations research or r&d at a major software company (PhD realistically), writing software for any sort of autonomous robot, working on some government defense contracts, etc. If you just want to graduate, and work someplace close to home that pays pretty well, then an MS is a waste of time and money. If you are young, single, mobile, and passionate about AI - go ahead and get a masters with a focus in it. Then look for a great job that lets you put those skills to use. If you are married with a kid and a mortgage, and trying to decide whether or not to get a masters taking night classes over the course of 3 years... it really might not make sense. You might benefit more (in terms of employ-ability) by contributing to a high visibility open source project in the evenings.

You should not expect that having the MS means you write better code, or are a better software developer. A person who got a BS and worked in industry for two years (at a place that doesn't suck) will write better code than you. They will also have experience with all of the things that school doesn't really teach you in depth: libraries, VCS, software lifecycle, unit testing, continuous build, provisioning, etc. You will almost certainly know the internal details of some niche in CS better than that person does though, since you studied it as a grad student. To the majority of potential employers out there, the BS w/2 years experience is a better "drop in replacement" for whatever spot they are trying to fill. Bonus that they probably will ask for less money than the MS will too.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I'm glad I asked given how much discussion has come up. My dream job is to work for Space X so I guess I know what I'm doing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I have an interview coming up for an app company, they have asked me to prepare some things.

quote:

Activity requirements
Candidate presentations: 2-5 minute presentation (prepared in advance by you in the
format of your choosing) to introduce yourself to the interview panel and other attendees
and provide an overview of the work you have been doing in University.

Group activity: Details will be provided on the day. No advanced preparation is required.

Guided project activity: For this activity, you are asked to provide your own project.
During this portion you will be observed by some of our most experienced staff. There are
no restrictions around the type of project however you will be expected to talk through the
design and implementation of your project and possibly add small features, guided by the
observers. Choose something that will showcase your skills and what you can bring to Box
UK.

Has anyone had to prepare a project for an interview in this manner before? What kinds of things would you be looking for from the candidate?

It's a graduate role so I am assuming it's more of a thought process thing than a proficiency in a language or whatever but I am not sure what to expect.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

jiggerypokery posted:

I have an interview coming up for an app company, they have asked me to prepare some things.

Has anyone had to prepare a project for an interview in this manner before? What kinds of things would you be looking for from the candidate?

It's a graduate role so I am assuming it's more of a thought process thing than a proficiency in a language or whatever but I am not sure what to expect.

I had to do a project for a UX position and I've seen it done elsewhere for coding jobs. In my case a big part of it was a) to see if I could explain and justify my decisions rather than just saying I would do X without any reasoning behind it and b) could come up with alternate methods or cope with changes to the project requirements that they threw at me. Seeing as they'll be observing and want you to talk through your process, I would expect something along these lines.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

armorer posted:

These jobs are exactly what I meant by "specialized industry". I think we are saying the same thing. It sounds to me like you are talking about jobs other than "just writing code in industry" which is what I said the BS was fine for.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I do think being a developer is one of the best career options out there for people. It's well paid and very transferrable across industries and countries.

As a general comment about degrees/certs, I feel they establish a lower bound rather than an upper bound. Look at the bottom 10% of people who managed to complete X and that is what "I have completed X" really says. So having a BS in comp sci doesnt say "here is someone who knows a lot about CS", it says "here is someone that should be vaguely familiar with some concepts they are likely to come across working as a developer, and at least knows how to fake it enough to cross a low bar".

I don't really know what an MS says. It helps establish credibility I guess, especially to those outside the domain. Mine is to help me fill in some blanks, and it's what employers want, so I need to give it to them.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 15, 2013

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

What kinds of things do people recommend talking about if asked to give a 5 minute presentation introducing themselves in front of all the other candidates? Sounds like it could be quite tense, i've never had to do anything like that before.

Wulfeh
Dec 1, 2005

The mmo worth playing: DAoC

jiggerypokery posted:

What kinds of things do people recommend talking about if asked to give a 5 minute presentation introducing themselves in front of all the other candidates? Sounds like it could be quite tense, i've never had to do anything like that before.

Bring up one or two cool projects you have worked in the field and then talk about a subject that you like not related to work like "I hitchhiked when I was 19 across the whole east coast" or "I like to collect tea". Whatever. Something that shows you can relate to them on a personal level.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

Never given a serious presentation before? It's easy, 5 minutes is no time at all and 100% of the thing is having confidence, and "myself" is a topic anybody can speak confidently on.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

jiggerypokery posted:

Just make sure you put what you're planning to talk about in descending order of importance. 5 minutes is really way shorter than you think, especially if you're not an experienced public speaker as you will likely use a good amount of filler words. If 5 minutes go by and you have some less important stuff left over just skip it rather than going beyond your allotted time unless you feel it absolutely needs to be said.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I guess asking some advice on public speaking is a whole other thread really!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

hieronymus posted:

Might be worth asking 'hey guys, when are you going to hire me?"

A mistake a lot of people make is working hard quietly in the corner doing a good job and expecting that to magically translate into raises/promotions/getting hired - if you don't ask for a raise/job, it's never going to happen.

I finally got a chance to talk to my boss. He told me that he gave HR the go ahead to hire me a few weeks ago. He seemed shocked that it hasn't happened yet.

I also got a call from my recruiting company saying that my offer should come within a week or two. I've been told for about a month now that I'm going to be hired in. I think if it doesn't happen in a week I'm just going to start looking for another job.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

When doing a resume for an internship should you put what CS classes you have completed/are currently taking?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

When doing a resume for an internship should you put what CS classes you have completed/are currently taking?

Personally when I was reviewing resumes for internship spots I never really cared, I was more interested in experience.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Classes taken is mostly just a decent way to pad out a resume to comfortably fill a page without being blatant padding.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Courses taken is very handy for me as an interviewer as it gives me a chance to ask you about stuff you should know, rather than having to guess. Nothing worse than seeing a CV with no classes on for someone fresh out of or at uni.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Milotic posted:

Courses taken is very handy for me as an interviewer as it gives me a chance to ask you about stuff you should know, rather than having to guess. Nothing worse than seeing a CV with no classes on for someone fresh out of or at uni.

I just make assumptions and then ask you about them during an interview :v:

"You don't know what a linked list is? Okay, let's move on . . ."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Maybe better to list interesting projects you've done in your coursework as opposed to just the list of courses. If you've done notable projects in those courses, that can give you and an interviewer a good starting point to talk from.

But that only counts if it actually is unique and a substantial project, like it was a final project idea of your choosing. I remember going to one career fair where half the resumes I saw listed "designed an account management system for a bank" as a project. Turned out it was just a run of the mill homework assignment for an 200-level course where they were trying to introduce concurrency.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I wouldn't say unique, but I would definitely agree with substantial. If you've managed to go through an entire CS program (or even worse, gotten a master's on top of it) without managing to program one substantial project, I am not impressed.

Also, if you're going to put down a group project, make sure you actually participated. If I press for details and realize you picked 'mooched off my groupmates' as a resume bullet point, I am still not going to be impressed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It looks like I'll be able to continue my degree (it helps that I technically never graduated...) and obtain a second major in CS - meaning I won't have to jump through any hoops to get into a program.

I'm pretty happy, just have to do a bunch of paperwork and go through a few meetings. If all goes well I should be starting school again this fall. I'm looking into if it's possible to get a summer class or two. It also looks like I'll have to learn Python, C++, and Java on my own to prepare for jumping back into this whole thing. Already progressing on learning Python, the others will come in time.

I guess at this point there's nothing special I need to know or to prepare for? Just focus on my coursework, learn how to program properly, learn the theory, and make sure to get an internship and contribute significantly to a few projects. I'm older now and have a much improved work ethic (and appreciation for why this is important), so at the least I'll be taking my education very seriously and putting in the more than just the minimum. I don't think I'd have done that if I had taken this route several years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I quit the Friday before last, for better or worse. Things had just gotten so toxic at my old position that I just cleaned up my work computer, turned it in, and resigned on the spot. Probably not the best decision considering I didn't have anything lined up, but I have some savings and now a lot of free time to look for a new job.

One big issue is that all the major projects I've worked on in the last few years have been canned. How does someone in my position build a portfolio?