Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thermos H Christ posted:

I want modern pankration dammit. The only form I can actually imagine ever being accepted in to the Olympics would basically be wrestleboxing. You could have them wear amateur boxing headgear and gloves but also award points for takedowns

Failing that I'd like to see events taken from American Gladiators and Nickelodeon GUTS.

http://www.fila-official.com/images/FILA/reglements/grappling/International_Pankration_Regulations.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Teg5WDkCFw&t=59s

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thermos H Christ posted:

I want modern pankration dammit. The only form I can actually imagine ever being accepted in to the Olympics would basically be wrestleboxing. You could have them wear amateur boxing headgear and gloves but also award points for takedowns

Failing that I'd like to see events taken from American Gladiators and Nickelodeon GUTS.

Olympic Aggro Crag would be the top rated event of every future Olympics.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i have no idea what most of what he was talking about means but i'm going to go ahead and agree.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
He calls out FILA as corrupt and incompetent and USA Wrestling as a paper tiger unable or unwilling to throw its weight around in support of American wrestlers. He's also saying wrestling is headed for a huge fall in 2016 as amateur funding falls off and kids don't have the Olympic dream to chase anymore.

Of course USA Wrestling is just one of the organizations that went into full crisis mode yesterday, and I hope the Russians, Iranians and Japanese combined have enough pull to unfuck this situation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

He calls out FILA as corrupt and incompetent and USA Wrestling as a paper tiger unable or unwilling to throw its weight around in support of American wrestlers. He's also saying wrestling is headed for a huge fall in 2016 as amateur funding falls off and kids don't have the Olympic dream to chase anymore.

He's pretty much right on everything but the part about cannibalizing. Wrestling didn't chose to reduce weight classes. The IOC forced Wrestling to reduce weight classes so they could add Women's Wrestling without increasing the total number of participants.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Finally, something Frankie Edgar can win in multiple weight classes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would love to see a joint Amercan-Iranian-Russian-Japanese press release condemning the IOC. We'll all have egg on our face when they win a Nobel prize and reveal a sealed letter proclaiming world peace was their aim all along.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

I would love to see a joint Amercan-Iranian-Russian-Japanese press release condemning the IOC. We'll all have egg on our face when they win a Nobel prize and reveal a sealed letter proclaiming world peace was their aim all along.

Time to dust off the Friendship Games. Stuffed Mishas for all!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Has the arrest (and death) of DuPont and the subsequent loss of financial support hurt USA wrestling to the point they lack the clout to impact the IOC's decision?

BigBoss fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 13, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BigBoss posted:

Has the arrest (and death) of DuPont and the subsequent loss of financial support hurt USA wrestling to the point they lack the clout to impact the IOC's decision?

USA Wrestling didn't have anything to do with the decision. FILA didn't think they were in any actual danger so wasn't doing any lobbying (bribing). USA Wrestling is taking a very active role now in getting the decision reversed.

As far as money. USA Wrestling isn't awash in funds but honestly the USA isn't the biggest player in this beyond the fact that the USA is the biggest TV market for the Olympics. I'd expect a lot more political pressure to come from Russia as well as a lot of vocal support from Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Japan.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

FILA should bring Alexander Karelin to every meeting with the IOC and tell them that if wrestling isn't restored Karelin will drop every one of them on their head.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

ch3cooh posted:

FILA should bring Alexander Karelin to every meeting with the IOC and tell them that if wrestling isn't restored Karelin will drop every one of them on their head.

I was thinking Karelin vs A Horse. Winner gets their sport to stay.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
But for real they should really just cancel the whole olympics because they mean nothing now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I was thinking Karelin vs A Horse. Winner gets their sport to stay.

That's kind of unfair. Maybe Karelin vs two horses.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Karelin wouldn't even need to fight, he could just stare down the horses, and they'd just submit.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Mark Schultz kimuras for every single one of them until wrestling comes back

I mean nonstop, arms exploding all over the IOC until 2024

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
So I'm at a loss here and I could use some sage advice-

[e\n cut]

Here's what it boils down to: How often do you sub hunt when you flow with people who are still familiarizing themselves with the static positions (as opposed to letting them control the action)?

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 14, 2013

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

1st AD posted:

If there were some way they could combine Judo's current rules/scoring and add strikes that would be awesome.
That already exists...(more or less.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

CivilDisobedience posted:

We're stagnating. What can I do to encourage both more flowing and more active sub hunting at the same time?

Unless you're the coach/instructor there is a limit to what you can do.

The only thing I can think of is to tell them directly and mirror the behavior you want them to do. (Of course if they're still ignoring it or not 'getting' it. There is not much you can do.) Plus if they've all been training for similar amounts of time that you have, it may be a very tough sell.

On the subject of avoiding stagnation in the gym. Gettting in new people, getting in people to do seminars or coaches with different backgrounds helps a lot with this.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 14, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CivilDisobedience posted:

So I'm at a loss here and I could use some sage advice-

[e\n cut]

Here's what it boils down to: How often do you sub hunt when you flow with people who are still familiarizing themselves with the static positions (as opposed to letting them control the action)?

I mostly put myself into bad positions and practice my sweeps. If they're doing something egregious I'll go halfway towards finishing a sub just to let them know it's there and let them escape.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey grappling thread check out this awesome slice of 90's goodness. Four parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO6lijceXtU

I want a pair of those sweatpants real bad.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the only real sports are pro wrestling, and wipeout. good call by the ioc

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
The big player in this IOC mess is Vladimir Putin, apparently the Russians are spending 57 billion or something on the next winter games. Russia and some of it's satellite countries won 11 medals in wrestling in London. So maybe if wrestling isn't on the ticke for 2020 the olypics in Russia doesn't have to be so nice. Or maybe Putin disappears some of the IOC executive committee when they come to visit? Who knows, it's a big scary world ou there, and I for one would welcome watching Putin rampage on some IOC folks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If they cancel Judo, Putin will just start firing the nukes.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If Putin can bring back wrestling I will reconsider my stance on him.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

That's kind of unfair. Maybe Karelin vs two horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cDfnQD0ws

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Hey, Karras wrestled, too! professionally, but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4vXfFx_DA

"I'm happy, dude!" :smith: Blatnick is the best, IOC is dumb.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey grappling thread, have some Monday morning sambo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7QgBf56HFQ

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So apparently Keenan Cornelius is leaving Lloyd Irvin's team. That's kind of big news :wth: Haven't seen any word yet on where he's going.

Also I dunno if there will be another BJJ Kumite episode, but Lloyd just uploaded a couple of full fights for some reason. I know for sure that the first one was already shown briefly on one of the earlier episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCE7aGJOgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8EdeBFLOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Good move buddy.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The Kumite has been peachy as hell for marketing guru Lloyd Irvin and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The Kumite has been peachy as hell for marketing guru Lloyd Irvin and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next

quote:

JORDAN SCHULTZ STATEMENT

Recently a fellow team member came to me she was burdened and confused. She sought me out as a confidante a person she could trust. She had been battling with a situation morally inside her head. She explained the details of secret interactions she had with her martial arts instructor and employer.

She started with the question “Are you suppose to do anything to become a World Champion?” I replied, “Yes, there are sacrifices you must make to become a World Champion and you are going to have to do some things that other people won’t do to become a World Champion”. She began to cry as she explained.

She said that when she first joined the team she was given a set of rules. She was told exactly how she should act. Everyone on the team follows the principle of the Android. An Android does what they are commanded with no question and no hesitation. Whatever the Programmer says the Android does. According to the Martial Arts instructor this correlates to Martial Arts if the coach gives a commanded and the athlete hesitates or questions for a moment it can cost them the match. That is the importance of being an Android.

Second rule, your word is your bond. If you do not keep your word you are a liar. If you do not follow what you say you are a faker. If you do not keep your word you are definitely not serious about what you are trying to accomplish.

Third rule, confidentiality whatever you talk about with your instructor stays only between you and your instructor it is a form of trust. She explained the Instructor has been deceived and hurt a lot in the past so it was difficult to prove your trust and loyalty to your instructor.

When first coming to the team her instructor automatically judged her, told her that “I have a weird feeling that you are lying and you do not want to be a world champion, you came for alterior motives”

I noticed that the woman was always getting scolded or on thin ice with my martial arts instructor. She always seemed to be messing up tasks that were given to her as her job. She always seemed afraid that she was going to be kicked off the team and sent home. Every team member that comes from another state can be kicked off the team and sent home at any time. Any member of the team will confirm this. This is a consequence that looms over all the athletes.

At one point I thought she really was being sent home.

She had been trying to tell me, and others. She asked us hypothetical questions like “would you do ANYTHING to be a world champion” and she’d tell me she did some things she wouldn’t normally do but her instructor asked her to do it and he said she was proving he can trust her. She explained the things she did for her instructor was a test to see if she would really do anything to be a world champion. That she would keep her word to him and do anything he asked her to do. And she would do it without hesitation to prove her loyalty and that she was an android. I always thought it was something different, like she messed with someone’s credit card or something but I was so wrong.

Her instructor would both ask and instruct her to do sexually inappropriate things with him. Re-affirming his instructions with things like “I thought you said you wanted to be a world champion, and you said you would do anything I tell you to do without hesitation”. He would make her repeat to him over and over that she loved him like a script.

If she ever hesitated or questioned he would call her a liar and say that she didn’t really want to become a world champion and she wasn’t serious about her goals.

This activity went on for a couple months and then he asked her is she would give herself to him sexually, and if she would have sexual intercourse with him.

That’s when she broke down and came to me she was so wrapped up and confused about the tests and hazing she came to me for guidance. And I am happy she did so that nothing else bad happened to her.

What he has asked of her and made her do is disgusting and abusive. I am so grateful she came to me and I was able to open her eyes.
To explain to her that it was wrong, that she did not have to do those things to prove she really wanted to be a world champion.

I think, but cannot confirm that there are other victims on the team. I would see the instructor sleeping in the same hotel room in the same bed at tournaments with other female teammates. Multiple teammates have also been called to his room to give him massages alone together with him in a hotel room, which I always thought was a little inappropriate considering he is there Martial Arts Instructor.

I trained with the team for over a year. 6 months into my stay there I was offered a unpaid mentorship as his internet assassin, and I would be trained to do internet marketing.

The rules on the team were “no inter team dating” and “you always follow instructions 100%” now that I think about it, both rules together breed the perfect environment for the martial arts instructor to take advantage of his female students sexually. Dangle the dream of being a world champion in front each member of the team to control their every move.

The instructor never did anything to me, the training environment was not the healthiest at times, but I was never harmed. And I cannot speak for other male members, but each has their own story. In addition several of my teammates have left the environment within hours of hearing the story I told them. This confirms that each of them had their own suspicions of what was going on.

I was in charge of a project to make several websites, with the soul purpose of covering up the google search results of keywords.

I now realize that it was wrong to do that. And people need to be informed before they choose to associate with the instructor.

I apologize to the female team member and the other female team members I have spoken about. I had to break her trust and warn others about the situation. She confided in me and was not ready to tell anyone about it. But as my moral responsibility the world needs to know. And I encourage anyone who has been affected or controlled by Lloyd Irvin to speak out.

In closing, I have left the team for good, I have ended all ties with team lloyd Irvin and will never have anything to do with it again in any capacity. I came to the team
thinking it would be the best thing for me, plenty of good training partners, hard training, and to learn marketing. I was a fool, and I apologize to anyone that may have been affected by my actions while on the team.

Jordon Schultz

From what I'm reading online Jordan Schultz is maybe a bit of a sketchy character too, but if that's true then that sounds like a pretty gross, cultish environment.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
What the gently caress is happening in that camp?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Thanks loyld irvin for your marketing insights and seo mastery

Thank you

Thanks

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-24/news/9004240277_1_jurors-gang-rape-case-girl

http://articles.dailypress.com/1991-03-22/news/9103220070_1_witness-arrest-warrant-charged

http://articles.dailypress.com/1991-03-23/news/9103230104_1_woman-bowie-state-university-hampton-university

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-21/news/9004210056_1_irvin-two-men-young-woman

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-20/news/9004200218_1_irvin-gang-rape-case-two-men

http://articles.dailypress.com/1991-06-25/news/9106250068_1_raped-dorm-room-trial

Bohemian Nights posted:

The end of days

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The NCAA released conference allocations for the D-1 National Championships yesterday

code:
+-------------------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+-------+
|    CONFERENCE     | 125  | 133  | 141  | 149  | 157  | 165  | 174  | 184  | 197  | 285  | TOTAL |
+-------------------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+------+-------+
| ACC               |   4  |   5  |   4  |   2  |   2  |   3  |   3  |   4  |   2  |   1  |    30 |
| Big 12            |   1  |   2  |   2  |   2  |   2  |   3  |   2  |   2  |   2  |   1  |    19 |
| Big Ten           |   7  |   7  |   6  |   8  |   7  |   8  |   8  |   6  |   8  |   9  |    74 |
| CAA               |   1  |   3  |   3  |   2  |   2  |   1  |   1  |   1  |   3  |   2  |    19 |
| EIWA              |   4  |   2  |   7  |   4  |   5  |   5  |   4  |   5  |   5  |   4  |    45 |
| EWA               |   1  |   3  |   2  |   3  |   3  |   3  |   1  |   2  |   2  |   3  |    23 |
| MAC               |   4  |   3  |   1  |   2  |   3  |   2  |   5  |   4  |   3  |   3  |    30 |
| Pac-12            |   1  |   2  |   1  |   2  |   2  |   1  |   3  |   3  |   2  |   4  |    21 |
| Southern          |   2  |   1  |   2  |   1  |   1  |   2  |   1  |   1  |   1  |   1  |    13 |
| West Regional     |   4  |   1  |   1  |   3  |   2  |   1  |   1  |   1  |   1  |   1  |    16 |
| Total Qualifiers  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |  29  |   290 |
Lots of good college wrestling going on in March. D-I, D-II, D-III, NIAA, and Junior Colleges all have their championships. The big one is the D-1 Championships in Des Moines the weekend of the 23rd.

The Pac-12 championship is this weekend, everybody else has their conference championships next weekend.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

lloyd irvin is a rapist, and also, he hires rapists

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Holy poo poo is the big 12 always that bad?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Holy poo poo is the big 12 always that bad?

It's a down year for the Big XII. Oklahoma and Iowa State are both down and West Virginia is really bad as a replacement for Missouri. But the conference aren't all the same size. The Big XII only has four teams that participate in Wrestling. As a percentage of possible spots that's still pretty high.

The Big XII also had a lot of guys right on the fringe of earning an allocation, so I expect them to pick up a handful of wild card spots (there are 4 at each weight) once the conference tournaments have finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Lloyd Irvin story just keeps getting crazier

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2140273&forum=11&page=1&pc=21