Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

I basically fought this list against Phyresis a while back and I can confirm it's pretty drat hard. The only problem you may experience (and was the reason I won) is that your mobility on your troop choices can be a little rough and if you're fighting blobs yourself you'll be hard-pressed to clear out enough models. It's great against elite units, but if they have a mix or are fielding tons of infantry you might have a problem.

I would expect the manticore to be the thing to try to handle hordes. Did it get taken out early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Naramyth posted:

I would expect the manticore to be the thing to try to handle hordes. Did it get taken out early?

No, but it was mitigated pretty well by generous Venomthrope saves. He furiously tried to kill my backline Biovores--all three survived a big scatter turn one, and only one out of the two died to dead-on hits in the following turns. I essentially ignored it (it was parked at the very far-end of the table on his side) and at the end of the game it had probably accomplished about 90pts in damages.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

No, but it was mitigated pretty well by generous Venomthrope saves. He furiously tried to kill my backline Biovores--all three survived a big scatter turn one, and only one out of the two died to dead-on hits in the following turns. I essentially ignored it (it was parked at the very far-end of the table on his side) and at the end of the game it had probably accomplished about 90pts in damages.

Hmm. I suppose I would have tried the same thing. Gotta use it to thin the herds I guess.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Khorne Flakes posted:

So The Warstore is pretty awesome. I've been building a DA army off of all the Dark Vengence stuff, and one of my orders was missing an arm on a tactical marine. They sent the missing piece out and today I open it up and get that plus the new DW Cyclone Missle Launcher. Those guys have some pretty good customer service there.
I met the Warstore guys at Historicon a couple years running, they're really nice guys and we just shared 40k stories every time I went. Their 20% off is awesome, and the bits trade-in, while a bit of a racket, has gotten me a couple hundred dollars from stuff I wasn't going to use anyway.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Before today I had only ever seen them in the Warhammer World shop.

It came with six D6 as well. Not bad for £4.

This is not a dice shaker, ya goobers. It is a stubbie holder. GW employee told me they call them "dice shakers" because they obviously shouldn't advertise stubbie holders when there are kids about.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

AgentF posted:

This is not a dice shaker, ya goobers. It is a stubbie holder. GW employee told me they call them "dice shakers" because they obviously shouldn't advertise stubbie holders when there are kids about.

For those of you who don't speak moon man, a stubby holder is a drink coozie.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
"Drink coozie"? Now I've heard everything.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Deviant posted:

For those of you who don't speak moon man, a stubby holder is a beer coozie.

Fixed for the 49 states that aren't Utah.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
We don't drink stubbies in the UK, plus it's made of leather not neoprene. Is it tall enough to use as a brush pot?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I dunno, I think I'm going to have to adopt stubbie holder. Hell, I don't even know what a stubbie is but it sounds better than coozie.

I've also taken up using maths instead of math. v:shobon:v

Lungboy posted:

Is it tall enough to use as a brush pot?
It is, yes. Also comes in black with an aquila.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 13, 2013

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Before today I had only ever seen them in the Warhammer World shop.

It came with six D6 as well. Not bad for £4.

I bought one about a month ago and all my friends made fun of me for doing so, now they plead to use the cup. When you are rolling 20+ dice it makes it real easy to just put the successful rolls back in the cup, roll them a second time to wound, then back in the cup for saves. Also my friends are a little special in that they regularly roll off the table, the cup helps them aim batter. Seconding it makes a cool sound when you shake the dice inside of it. $6 and I don't feel cheated at all.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PierreTheMime posted:

Four Chaos Spawn with marks of Nurgle and ten Chaos Cultists with a Heavy Stubber and one Autogun is 200pts as well. Individual models will have problems dealing with a fast T6 model that gets 2+1d6 attacks and special powers on a charge.

Thanks very much for this, thanks to you and this list I now have 100 extra points in an upcoming campaign game (the winner of the mini-tournament got 100 points to use), probably against our DA player. I won 16 points to 15, 8 and 4, playing 3 of our 4 other players. We did 3 games each, playing each other, and I'm quite happy now :)

Anti-Citizen posted:

This is the list I've been getting the most work done with in 6th, the edition swap pushed them from cool to amazing, still stinging at the lack of biker archon though.

Did you mean a DE Reaver list is what you've been using, or the Spawn/Cultist list is?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Crossposting from the Oath thread. Some models:

Base/tinorama:

Buggy:

Zagstruk:

Stormboyz:

Bonus- My olde Battlewagon with the base:

I am quite happy with the base. I used to use two flying bases but it never balanced. Now, it is steady as a rock. Not bad for some plasticard and a biro pen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

I dunno, I think I'm going to have to adopt stubbie holder. Hell, I don't even know what a stubbie is but it sounds better than coozie.

I've also taken up using maths instead of math. v:shobon:v

Stubbie holder sounds like somewhere you'd put half-used cigars to me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Lungboy posted:

We don't drink stubbies in the UK, plus it's made of leather not neoprene. Is it tall enough to use as a brush pot?

Definitely.

quote:

I didn't see a black one. Now I'm going to have to hunt it down. :(

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Raphus C posted:

Bonus- My olde Battlewagon with the base:

I am quite happy with the base. I used to use two flying bases but it never balanced. Now, it is steady as a rock. Not bad for some plasticard and a biro pen.

I might need to borrow this concept for a warkopta.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Let's say I'm firing a large blast weapon, such as a demolisher cannon, at an enemy vehicle. Where can I position the template? I've always thought it was anywhere on the vehicle, so long as the little hole in the middle is entirely over the hull (that's what I gathered from the rulebook, at least), but some players and the manager at the GW store here say it has to be placed dead centre on the model, which I can't find any rule about in the book. Which way is right?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sykic posted:

Let's say I'm firing a large blast weapon, such as a demolisher cannon, at an enemy vehicle. Where can I position the template? I've always thought it was anywhere on the vehicle, so long as the little hole in the middle is entirely over the hull (that's what I gathered from the rulebook, at least), but some players and the manager at the GW store here say it has to be placed dead centre on the model, which I can't find any rule about in the book. Which way is right?

You're correct, it's pretty clear in the rulebook. You'll probably want to put it dead center on a vehicle most of the time so you don't miss but if you want to put the hole near the front or whatever to hit more models then you can do that too as long as the hole is completely over the hull of the target.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

frest posted:

I started my Empire army from the Warstore, and ordered like 6? boxes of state troops. He actually ended up opening a bunch of battalion boxes to meet the order, and then was like "oh what do I do with these 20 greatswords?? welp in the box they go!"

I love the Warstore. :patriot:

Yeah when I needed some combi weapons and a power axe I ordered them, and when I got my order there were 2 of each combi weapon and 2 power axes in the box instead. Cool guys.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Definitely abused that blast placement with a vindicator in the past to thin out a mob of boyz tied up in combat I couldn't shoot at.

Oops, it scattered on them? :getin:

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
Finally got around to painting the Librarian on bike I kitbashed months ago, quite chuffed with how he turned out (aside from base which needs some proper snow flock), especially since I havn't painted anything in over 6 months.

Now i've just gotta get 2 bike squads and a tac squad painted for a tournament on saturday...

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Found this one on CMoN:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

AgentF posted:

Oi you bloody drongos this is exactly what I thought that thing was.

edit: I called a stubbie holder a stubbie holder in Louisiana and some old dude pledged to forever call his beer cosy (is it actually coozy? Where the gently caress is that from?) a stubbie holder.

Also in gaming news I am thinking about buying the Space Marine megaforce because I don't have any normal tatical marines for my Imperial Fists (just Sternguard and a bunch of those metal vets) and I think it looks like good value. I also found a box on ebay with a Venerable dread instead of Ironclad (kind of disappointing because Ironclad seems fluffy with IF) but it has a scout Land Speeder (Storm?) which I think it's loving rad.

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 14, 2013

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
The Land Speeder Storm is fluffy, but my experience has found it pretty terribad. My limited use of it probably means I might just be bad at using it, but at the points cost plus some more (I think 20 points more?) you could get a regular speeder with a multi-melta and a heavy flamer which I tend to see be a lot more successful.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I'm going a little crazy on the fluffy stuff. I'll never play this game competitively (or against more than the one guy I know who very rarely plays) but I like cool models and painting.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

You know what's fluffy, terrible on the table, and has the most loving rad of all models for Vanilla Space Marines? LEGION OF THE DAMNED. :shepface:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod1890027a

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Tailfnz posted:

You know what's fluffy, terrible on the table, and has the most loving rad of all models for Vanilla Space Marines? LEGION OF THE DAMNED. :shepface:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod1890027a

$287 AUD for 17 models :iamafag:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

ghetto wormhole posted:

You're correct, it's pretty clear in the rulebook. You'll probably want to put it dead center on a vehicle most of the time so you don't miss but if you want to put the hole near the front or whatever to hit more models then you can do that too as long as the hole is completely over the hull of the target.

I'm starting to think the manager of the store is more than a little terrible at this.

One more, just to clear up all the standing issues I've been having. A Hammerhead tries to shoot its turret mounted railgun at an enemy, but the turret can't turn and gain a straight shot because it's blocked by terrain. Can it still fire at the target? I don't think it gets a 45 degree arc of fire, as that only seems to refer to hull mounted weapons, but he thinks it does.

Yes, this happens more often than you'd think.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Also in gaming news I am thinking about buying the Space Marine megaforce because I don't have any normal tatical marines for my Imperial Fists (just Sternguard and a bunch of those metal vets) and I think it looks like good value. I also found a box on ebay with a Venerable dread instead of Ironclad (kind of disappointing because Ironclad seems fluffy with IF) but it has a scout Land Speeder (Storm?) which I think it's loving rad.

I bought this Megaforce used from a friend who had only put up together the Dread and the Land Raider, rest in sprue. 150€, he also sweetened the deal with two termie squads still in sprue and also all his magnets/tools.

Admittedly pulling the amount of paint he put on that tank was quite complicated and resulted in having a chemical burn on my left hand from all the scrubbing little pieces with dettol. Lesson: gloves.

Now on to what I was going to ask: Land Speeder Storm, any good? Never really considered them much but now that I have one to put together I was wondering if they're neat in play or not.

EDIT: Nevermind, responded already! I should refresh after leaving the page open for a while and coming back to PC.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

$287 for 17 chaplain models. So it's a good deal!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Tailfnz posted:

I remember buying a box of these for $25.
The old metal models that only had rules in white dwarf. I themed my whole army around legion of the damned and just played them as generic marines. I was like 15 so give me a break.

[edit: also when I purchased them it was the mid 90s and you could buy a bunch of stuff from the current eldar range.]

Manifest fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 14, 2013

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

Yet another friendly reminder that 1 USD = 1 AUD.

Have fun, Australians!
:shepicide:

Keriath
May 7, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

^^^He couldn't shoot away(or at least soften) six T4 wounds? 5++ kinda sucks vs bolters and lasguns.

I keep tweaking, but basically:

1850:

***Note the alternate, I'm not sure which is more important***
Acolyte squads are only reliable and truly-dangerous with a re-roll but they are still squishy.
Having some PA, force weapons and warp quake are not bad but one 5-man unit might not be enough to really bother, also it sacrifices 3x plasma for 1x psycannon.

2000:

***Note applies here as well really.***

Interesting lists, how do you handle mass bolter shots? or anything with ap for that matter?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Sykic posted:

I'm starting to think the manager of the store is more than a little terrible at this.

One more, just to clear up all the standing issues I've been having. A Hammerhead tries to shoot its turret mounted railgun at an enemy, but the turret can't turn and gain a straight shot because it's blocked by terrain. Can it still fire at the target? I don't think it gets a 45 degree arc of fire, as that only seems to refer to hull mounted weapons, but he thinks it does.

Yes, this happens more often than you'd think.
Well, turrets have 360 degree arc.
But since you measure range from the muzzle on vehicles, if you can't draw a line of fire from the gun to the target, it seems only sensible that it can't fire.
Unless of course it's something that don't require line of sight, like artillery or the Smart Missile System.

Or did you mean that the turret on the actual model is/was glued in place? In that case, it doesn't matter, a turret mounted weapon always has a full circle as a targeting arc.
Now, what's worth discussing is if the burst cannons on a hammerhead are also turrets, and thus able to target in a full 360 arc under the vehicle. :v:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I've got a 1,500 point game coming up this weekend against the Elysian Drop Troops list, one I have absolutely zero experience actually playing against. Anyone have any advice on what I should be watching out for (beyond the obvious 'oh gently caress Vendettas')? I'll be running Orks against it so I'm already figuring I'll need some lootas, quad-gun armed grots and dakkajets.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The new GW employee got in this week. He sucks :smith:. He about tossed me out when I told him I wasn't buying anything today and was just browsing while waiting for a friend (who also plays and buys from there often). Also basically implied I was doublenazi megahitler for not liking the obliterator models and grabbed the box and demanded to know what I didn't like about them. The answer is all of it, because those models have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. But I told him I was going to buy some terminators and some green stuff sometime soon to convert some. But I'm not. My friend whos lived in the area and played for longer directed me to a comic book shop nearby that sells for cheaper than GW and is way closer to my house. And I'm probably going to play 40k/Warmahordes with the old employee later this week at that store :unsmith:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He's saying the model can'y psychically move the turret, due to terrain. to get a shot off at the tank. Basically like the hull of a predator blocking the shots of one of the sponsons. Tau can't shoot through walls or curve bullets as far as I know.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schizotek posted:

The new GW employee got in this week. He sucks :smith:. He about tossed me out when I told him I wasn't buying anything today and was just browsing while waiting for a friend (who also plays and buys from there often). Also basically implied I was doublenazi megahitler for not liking the obliterator models and grabbed the box and demanded to know what I didn't like about them. The answer is all of it, because those models have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. But I told him I was going to buy some terminators and some green stuff sometime soon to convert some. But I'm not. My friend whos lived in the area and played for longer directed me to a comic book shop nearby that sells for cheaper than GW and is way closer to my house. And I'm probably going to play 40k/Warmahordes with the old employee later this week at that store :unsmith:

Yeah, well it's a retail outlet not really a place to loiter. If you weren't buying something or playing a game he has every right to suggest you don't hang out there. Especially if your neck beard and manchild physique was scaring away the children and their mothers with pockets full of dollars.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Cataphract posted:

Yeah, well it's a retail outlet not really a place to loiter. If you weren't buying something or playing a game he has every right to suggest you don't hang out there. Especially if your neck beard and manchild physique was scaring away the children and their mothers with pockets full of dollars.

Buy something or get out is what bad, unsuccessful retailers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Buy something or get out is what bad, unsuccessful retailers do.

Bad retailers also let 30 year old men hang out in a toy store for hours at a time.

• Locked thread