Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Which would be an easier piece of advice to follow if some publishers didn't put 1-sided ads in their poo poo.

I've bound a bunch of stuff (JLI, Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre, American Century, and the '80s Blue Beetle series) and removed all the double-sided ads, but leaving in all the single-sided ads are just an unfortunate side effect of binding.

The thing is, I had them all already. Now I'd just rather buy nice, COMPLETE trades and save myself the extra money, time, and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I think Brubaker keeps the bonus articles that he writes in the deluxe version but the stuff written by others is kept out because there is no compensation.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've bound a bunch of stuff (JLI, Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre, American Century, and the '80s Blue Beetle series) and removed all the double-sided ads, but leaving in all the single-sided ads are just an unfortunate side effect of binding.

The thing is, I had them all already. Now I'd just rather buy nice, COMPLETE trades and save myself the extra money, time, and effort.

Oh I agree 100%. I much prefer trades. The only thing I have to send to binding is the full run of Academy X because the trades are impossible to find. Unfortunately they are packed with one-sided ads. I really wish there was a better model for the industry because I haven't bought single issues since high school. It's hard to make yourself buy something twice.

Rhyno posted:

DCBS has it in their store, or they did last week. I tried to find it on IST but holy poo poo does their search function suck. I wonder if Radium coded their site.
I'll check that out. I had looked at IST, but I was only willing to skim 20 pages or so before I said gently caress it.

EDIT: Only seeing Vol. 6 there.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 5, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Brubaker/Philips Image stuff lends itself pretty well to binding as all of the ads are in the back if I recall.

Did the binding thread go away or is it now a part of this thread again?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

The Brubaker/Philips Image stuff lends itself pretty well to binding as all of the ads are in the back if I recall.

Did the binding thread go away or is it now a part of this thread again?
It just got knocked too far down; not surprising for such a niche hobby within an already small fan set.

I've got some books headed my way that I'm extremely proud of and can't wait to show off.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm sure DC has other HCs coming out but who cares because

quote:

THE PROMETHEA OMNIBUS HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by J.H. WILLIAMS III, MICK GRAY and CHARLES VESS
Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
Advance solicited • On sale SEPTEMBER 25
496 pg, FC, 16.25” x 12.25”, $150.00 US
The entire 32-issue run of PROMETHEA is collected in a single, extraordinary hardcover volume that spotlights the amazing artwork of J.H. Williams III, with each two-page spread in the series presented on single pages of this horizontally formatted collection!
Don’t miss this new collection of Alan Moore’s entrancing occult masterpiece, collecting the magical adventures of Sophie Bangs, an ordinary college student in a weirdly futuristic New York, whose life will be changed by her research into the mythical warrior woman known as Promethea!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If you want something done right, sometimes you just have to do it yourself:

John Ostrander's Suicide Squad, the full epic, from beginning to end. Contains issues 1-67, with all relevant tie-ins, including the full Janus Directive crossover, the 8-part Suicide Squad: Raise the Flag, Ostrander's Deadshot miniseries, excerpts from Legends and a whole bunch of other fun stuff. There's even the fold-out poster that came with one of the later issues. I am pretty happy with the final results.

Also got these at the same time:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It was nice of DC to put the two Before Watchmen stories I actually want (Minutemen and Silk Specter) in one big trade. It's also nice of them to finally release the second volume of Harley Quinn after a...two year break? Maybe more?

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
That Suicide Squad is hot looking. Can you make me a copy :) It is on my to-do list along with JLI.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

wildlele posted:

That Suicide Squad is hot looking. Can you make me a copy :)
Sure thing, let me find my scanner and give me oh, a few years. No problem-o.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Am I ever likely to see a 4th omnibus of Brubakers Cap run? I'd very much like to have one :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agent_grey posted:

Am I ever likely to see a 4th omnibus of Brubakers Cap run? I'd very much like to have one :(

Almost certainly.

Today I looked at my shelf and realized I own all eleven volumes of the Clone Saga, what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If anyone ever asks, say your clone must have bought them.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
You're keeping them from falling into the hands of innocent children. You're a HERO.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Rhyno posted:

Almost certainly.

Today I looked at my shelf and realized I own all eleven volumes of the Clone Saga, what the gently caress is wrong with me?

I just finished the 4th volume, need to order 5. It's so bad!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

I just finished the 4th volume, need to order 5. It's so bad!

4th of the Clone Saga or Ben Reilly? Cause you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Rhyno posted:

Oh still on the clone saga! I can't wait!

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

For both UK and foreign buyers thebookdepository.co.uk is another good place to buy from as the prices tend to be the same as Amazon.co.uk and also has free worldwide shipping.

Want to pay less for books from bookdepository.co.uk/bookdepository.com, goons? Use a UK IP-address to place the order. In some instances it can be as little as a $2 AUD difference, but it can easily save you in the long run.

Their official response as to why there's a difference between UK prices and non-UK prices isn't simply "we don't include the VAT until POS", it's this incomprehensible mess which is really "we charge you as much as we can get away with":

Zara Davis, Customer Service Supervisor posted:

These are two separate websites; co.uk is aimed at the European Market, whereas .com is targeted at the American and Canadian markets. The websites are designed to take different market conditions into account, depending upon where orders are being placed from, so you may well find that there are some variations in our prices. Some books may be more expensive, but others may well actually be cheaper.

Different countries or markets will have different selling conditions, regulations and restrictions on the books that can be sold and the prices at which they can be sold, and the website will consider these. There are also some restrictions imposed by some Publishing houses which can add a further layer of complications. For example, paperback novels are very expensive in the Australian market, and this is taken into account - but we still do our absolute best to keep the prices we offer as low as we possibly can as far as is possible in any given market.

Please feel free to come back to me with any queries that you may have.

Here's what happens when you simply search 'walking dead compendium' on the same site with two different IP addresses.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Want to pay less for books from bookdepository.co.uk/bookdepository.com, goons? Use a UK IP-address to place the order. In some instances it can be as little as a $2 AUD difference, but it can easily save you in the long run.

Their official response as to why there's a difference between UK prices and non-UK prices isn't simply "we don't include the VAT until POS", it's this incomprehensible mess which is really "we charge you as much as we can get away with":

Here's what happens when you simply search 'walking dead compendium' on the same site with two different IP addresses.

$47.80 and $46.35 AUD from Canadian IP.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Mister Chompers posted:

$47.80 and $46.35 AUD from Canadian IP.

drat. I'm going to buy poo poo from a Canadian IP address next time.

edit: Just checked on a book I recently purchased with a UK address, it went from AUD$62.90 to AUD$66.93. So the moral of the story is to use a few IP addresses to figure out the best price.

Fuckstick Electric fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 15, 2013

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

I think I'm 2 books into the Ben Reilly Saga.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

I think I'm 2 books into the Ben Reilly Saga.

Well you deserve what's coming to you.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Well you deserve what's coming to you.

There isn't an ocean to deep that can keeeeeep, keep me away!

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
I'm trying to pick up the Complete Crumb collection as a gift for my dad, I've been able to find some of the last printings and two, three, and five are coming out with new printings but I haven't been able to find anything about a fourth volume reprint, any chance someone knows if they're skipping it, reprinting it later on, or if I'm just bad at finding these things?

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
The David Michelinie Iron Man Omnibus ships soon doesn't it? Good thing I get paid this week.

I've been rereading my way through the Jonathan Hickman Secret Warriors Omnibus. Any idea how long before we get a Omni of his Fantastic Four? It'll most likely be two volumes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zevin_Mars posted:

The David Michelinie Iron Man Omnibus ships soon doesn't it? Good thing I get paid this week.

I've been rereading my way through the Jonathan Hickman Secret Warriors Omnibus. Any idea how long before we get a Omni of his Fantastic Four? It'll most likely be two volumes.

1. IM Omnibus is out.

2. Not even a single word has come down from Marvel about a Hickman F4/FF omni yet.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
Weird, I guess mine just hasn't shipped yet then.

Hopefully we start catching wind on a F4/FF omni soon. His Secret Warriors got an Omni pretty fast if I recall.

Zevin_Mars fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2013

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Zevin_Mars posted:

Weird, I guess mine just hasn't shipped yet then.

Hopefully we start catching wind on a F4/FF omni soon. His Secret Warriors got an Omni pretty fast if I recall.

If you purchased from amazon, comic shops get trades from diamond usually a couple weeks before places like amazon.

Also, there was a year between the last Secret Warriors issue and the omni so there's still hope it's coming. There's also a chance that with all the issues Marvel has had with gigantic format omnis recently, they're reluctant to release a new one of that size until they fix the problems.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

RevKrule posted:

If you purchased from amazon, comic shops get trades from diamond usually a couple weeks before places like amazon.

Also, there was a year between the last Secret Warriors issue and the omni so there's still hope it's coming. There's also a chance that with all the issues Marvel has had with gigantic format omnis recently, they're reluctant to release a new one of that size until they fix the problems.

What problems have Marvel had with their large Omnis? I've never had any problems with the larger ones I own.

With all the positive buzz Hickman's work gets and a Fantastic Four movie in the works, I don't think it's any great leap to think the omnibus will happen. I imagine a Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus would be split into two volumes anyway. When you tally up the issues he wrote its:
Fantastic Four: Dark Regin #1-5
Fantastic Four #570-588, 600-611, 605.1
FF #1-23

That come out to what? 60 issues? Have they ever broke 50 issues on a single volume before, most of the ones I've looked at stop in the 40s?

I'd assume they'd split the run at the obvious break in the story, with Volume 1 being smaller and including FF:DR #1-5 and F4 570-588, and Volume 2 having FF 1-22 and F4 600-611, 605.1. Of course, Marvel has been known to just split volumes abruptly, so who knows where the cut off could occur.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The weight of the large omni's can cause the cover to peel off after time. The Simonson Thor and X-statix books I guess are notorious for it. I have both and haven't had a problem but I guess it is a well known issue.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

RevKrule posted:

The weight of the large omni's can cause the cover to peel off after time. The Simonson Thor and X-statix books I guess are notorious for it. I have both and haven't had a problem but I guess it is a well known issue.

Peel off? How so? I've not had any problems with mine either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The omnis are also notorious for being damaged in shipping.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Zevin_Mars posted:

Peel off? How so? I've not had any problems with mine either.

Supposedly the weight causes pressure on the spine/covers and the paper can't support it and the cover just kinda comes off.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
So I got some books in the mail today....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Fear Agent is making me hot.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That Fear Agent is making me hot.

Same dimensions as the Hellboy Libraries, but like 1.5x the thickness. Its real nice.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
The Promethea omnibus is listed at Forbidden Planet now. As noted earlier it's horizontally formatted. What are the dimensions likely to be? If it's the same size as the Marvel omnibuses, or even smaller, surely the art, while admittedly not disappearing down the middle crease, would be smaller than that in the original trades?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Padje posted:

The Promethea omnibus is listed at Forbidden Planet now. As noted earlier it's horizontally formatted. What are the dimensions likely to be? If it's the same size as the Marvel omnibuses, or even smaller, surely the art, while admittedly not disappearing down the middle crease, would be smaller than that in the original trades?

It will be as tall as an Absolute and twice as wide, bound on the short edge.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Glenn Danzig posted:

It will be as tall as an Absolute and twice as wide, bound on the short edge.

Whoa! £66 right now at Forbidden Planet. Seems crazy cheap for what will essentially be 2 absolutes side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Padje posted:

Whoa! £66 right now at Forbidden Planet. Seems crazy cheap for what will essentially be 2 absolutes side by side.

Have you seen the "standard" size IDW Artist Editions? Any of them except the Mad and Wally Wood books. It will basically be the same size, but sideways, in color, and close to 500 pages. Awesome.