Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm thinking about getting a couple of Dell 2007FPs. They're 1600x1200 and ~99.5PPI. I have a Dell U3011 which is 2560x1600 and ~100.5PPI. My plan is to turn the 2007FPs on their side to flank the U3011. There's about 1/5 of an inch in difference between the panels in height, so if I center them vertically, there should be ~10 pixel discrepancy at the top and bottom where the monitors meet. That seems close enough to where it wouldn't bother me. I've got a 2GB 6950 so it should be able to drive 3 monitors. Has anyone else tried something similar to matching up different panels? Am I missing anything?

I'm doing exactly this with my 6950 and my u2311h x 2 and u3011. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Steakandchips posted:

Do you have the u2311hs in portrait? I wanted to do this so the 1600px sides would line up.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Do you connect with HDMI or VGA? My TV has a "PC in" which is VGA but my video card does not have VGA (two DVI and an mini HDMI). I've got it hooked up via HDMI -> DVI right now but I cannot get it to fit correctly. It is either too large for the screen and stretched past the edges or barely not large enough on the bottom only but perfect on the sides...

Going to try to grab a VGA cable today from work but I don't want to lose quality if at all possible!

See if your tv has a setting for overscan or full pixel display (lots of cheap ones don't, most tvs by default zoom the image in a bit to hide OTA/cable flaws) before you try to use a VGA connection.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

EightBit posted:

See if your tv has a setting for overscan or full pixel display (lots of cheap ones don't, most tvs by default zoom the image in a bit to hide OTA/cable flaws) before you try to use a VGA connection.

This is my TV here: http://amzn.to/Z8Jjo4

The best information I was able to come up with was that in order to re-size on the TV side or do any weird adjustments like that it has to be through PC in (VGA). So I'll try that!

Thank you!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Do you have the u2311hs in portrait? I wanted to do this so the 1600px sides would line up.

Yes, they are in portrait (the 2 2311Hs on the sides. The 2311H on top is clearly in landscape :) )

The big one in the middle is the U3011.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 18, 2013

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Just to be clear, I actually have all 4 (2 side U2311Hs, one middle U3011 and one top U2311H) hooked up to the same 6950.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm looking to update my office setup and have a question. For reference, the computer driving this (these) will be a Lenovo X230. I don't game, but I do live in Excel and Outlook (among other business applications) and want to maximize my space/efficiency.

I currently have two non-IPS HP 23" panels. They are pretty lovely, and are impossible to calibrate properly. Colors are junk and I generally hate them. They are 1920x1080.

I'm looking at either two U2412M (total $527) or one U3011 ($1078 - ouch).

I know the 30" has much higher resolution, but in practice for business uses, is having two 24" vs one 30" better? I know "better" is a difficult thing to quantify, but just looking for the general consensus.

Thanks

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

hotsauce posted:

I'm looking to update my office setup and have a question. For reference, the computer driving this (these) will be a Lenovo X230. I don't game, but I do live in Excel and Outlook (among other business applications) and want to maximize my space/efficiency.

I currently have two non-IPS HP 23" panels. They are pretty lovely, and are impossible to calibrate properly. Colors are junk and I generally hate them. They are 1920x1080.

I'm looking at either two U2412M (total $527) or one U3011 ($1078 - ouch).

I know the 30" has much higher resolution, but in practice for business uses, is having two 24" vs one 30" better? I know "better" is a difficult thing to quantify, but just looking for the general consensus.

Thanks

Definitely 2 x 24 is better for your work. Outlook open in one, excel or word in the other.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Definitely 2 x 24 is better for your work. Outlook open in one, excel or word in the other.

Thanks. I think that's the route I'll go. Quick question. The Lenovo dock has a Display Port out and a VGA out. Would I get full quality image output from the VGA connection? For some reason, I look at VGA as an older, inferior standard. Am I dead wrong?

Edit: or is there a way to "daisy chain" the single Display Port out with the 2412M panels? Is that a better way?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 14, 2013

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Depends on the GPU I believe. Technically VGA can definitely do 1080p and possibly 1200 too.

You can't daisy chain. The monitors only have dp in. No out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Depends on the GPU I believe. Technically VGA can definitely do 1080p and possibly 1200 too.

You can't daisy chain. The monitors only have dp in. No out.
I ran a CRT at 2048x1536 on VGA so it should definitely handle 1920x1200.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Just pulled the trigger on two U2412M's from Amazon. They were open box (not paying $350 each) for $263/each. Amazon doesn't seem to sell them anymore, so these were the last two left.

I'm sure I'll get panels riddled with dead pixels. If so, back they go. It's a risky venture, but these are getting harder to find now, so I bit. I've always had good luck with the warehousedeals stuff and manufacturers' warranty is always in-tact, despite Amazon's warning saying they aren't covered. My Smasung 840 Pro 256gb drive was form warehousedeals last week. Full Samsung warranty honored upon registration.

Also had to grab a Display Port --> DVI cable as the monitors won't work with my current Display Port --> HDMI cable.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy a displayport cable. The monitors have displayports.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
If anyone is looking for a Dell U2711, you can get one for $650 with the code RDSVHG$9FHDJ44. Source

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 15, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I received my two "open box" 24: Dell IPS monitors from Amazon. They are rev03 and brand new - no dead pixels thankfully! Not bad for $263 each.

My X230 has the standard dock (with DVD drive). It has one Display Port and one VGA out. The monitor hooked up to the Display Port is stunning..whereas the VGA connection isn't sharp at all (a bit blurry). I switched cables to verify the other monitor isn't defective - it isn't.

What dock do I need to get two full digital outputs for the X230?
This?

http://www.amazon.com/433815u-Lenov...=I2IBGW6PFMIFZ3

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I received my two "open box" 24: Dell IPS monitors from Amazon. They are rev03 and brand new - no dead pixels thankfully! Not bad for $263 each.

My X230 has the standard dock (with DVD drive). It has one Display Port and one VGA out. The monitor hooked up to the Display Port is stunning..whereas the VGA connection isn't sharp at all (a bit blurry). I switched cables to verify the other monitor isn't defective - it isn't.

What dock do I need to get two full digital outputs for the X230?
This?

http://www.amazon.com/433815u-Lenov...=I2IBGW6PFMIFZ3
It's got two DisplayPorts so it should. Lenovo also sells a DisplayPort splitter which lets you connect two identical monitors. I think it treats the monitors as one large display, so it would show up as a single 3840x1200 monitor.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

It's got two DisplayPorts so it should. Lenovo also sells a DisplayPort splitter which lets you connect two identical monitors. I think it treats the monitors as one large display, so it would show up as a single 3840x1200 monitor.

Thanks. I want the monitors to be independent of each other, so the splitter is out.

Also, I just noticed the dock I linked says "NO TABLETS." My work computer, which will be docked most of the time, is an X230t. Ugh, all I want is to use either my X230 or work X230t with these beautiful monitors. This is proving to be a chore.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
VGA can do 1920x1200 clearly, however being a analog signal, the VGA cable itself plays a huge part... If you end up stuck with VGA, you need a high quality, well shielded, and short as possible cable.

Also, force the monitor that is hooked up via VGA to auto adjust a few times (Menu/Auto Adjust). Sometimes once is not enough.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks. I am using the VGA cable that came with the Dell monitors. Of course it looks like a 10 cent piece of junk so maybe that's it.

I am just going to use the Display Port output on the laptop itself (in addition to the DP dock output). I have a regular DP-->DVI for my X230t and a miniDP--DP for my X230. I have both connected to a monitor and can manually connect the right one to either the X230/X230t depending on which one I'm docking. Annoying, but works.

Also, I ordered two cables (the DP ones I mentioned above). Does length of DP cables affect quality? I got two 10ft ones instead of the 6ft ones...I ideally need the extra length so my dock can be put on my filing cabinet but will manage with the shorter ones if need be (don't want the picture quality to suffer at all).

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 18, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Does length of DP cables affect quality?
No. DisplayPort is all digital.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Auto tuning when using VGA seems to work best when there is a load of small text on screen

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Aren't there special patterns you can use?

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

Been a while since I had a vga lcd..

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

dissss posted:

Auto tuning when using VGA seems to work best when there is a load of small text on screen

This is very good advice that you don't want to miss out on. Give the auto-adjust a bunch of sharp color transitions to chew on for best results.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard
Has anyone used any of these monitors? http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/ and if so, what did the like/dislike about the monitor?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

At the end of last year, AnandTech did a review of LG's new 29EA93 monitor. It wasn't good. LG flipped out over the review and updated their firmware and sent the new revision to AnandTech. It's much better. It's a 29" 2560x1080 IPS monitor and I think it's going to be $700. The aspect ratio isn't for me, but it's got great response times and it'd be good for games where the field of view is determined by the height of the display (which I think is most of them?). It's good for movies too, of course.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The aspect ratio isn't for me, but it's got great response times and it'd be good for games where the field of view is determined by the height of the display (which I think is most of them?).
There aren't a whole lot of games that lock anything to particular FOVs anymore. However, those which do (SC2 being the prime offender here), do in fact lock to height, as you noted. Hence why none of the super-serious SC2 people ever play on a x1200 monitor. You'd still end up with huge black bars or a hilariously stretched image with that monitor, but I guess some people would prefer that over losing a bit of the image over the lateral edges.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

There aren't a whole lot of games that lock anything to particular FOVs anymore. However, those which do (SC2 being the prime offender here), do in fact lock to height, as you noted. Hence why none of the super-serious SC2 people ever play on a x1200 monitor. You'd still end up with huge black bars or a hilariously stretched image with that monitor, but I guess some people would prefer that over losing a bit of the image over the lateral edges.
Then how do modern games determine what to display? If I have a 2560x1600 monitor and a 2560x1080 monitor each showing the same game, does the 1600p show more vertically or does the 1080p show more horizontally, or do they both show the same thing and it's just horribly stretched?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Depends on how the game chose to answer that question. Some games go the way of SC2 and have a fixed "image" to display and your monitor's aspect ratio determines how much of that you see. So if a 1920x1080 is the "golden" resolution where you see exactly 100% of that image, playing it at 1920x1200 will either introduce black bars on the top/bottom, or it will zoom the image to fill all 1200 lines, and consequently cut a bit off the left and right edges (this is SC2's method). Many RTS and strategy games use this method because they hate people with 16:10 monitors (and because it eliminates stretching artifacts).

Other games (many FPS games fall into this category) allow for a variable "image" and your monitor's aspect ratio determines how much it'll get stretched as it fits it to your monitor. So if 1920x1080 is the "golden" resolution, playing it at 1920x1200 will again have it zoom the image to fill 1200 lines, but instead of cutting bits off the edge, it'll stretch/compress the edges a bit to make it all fit. It gets even more fun in that most of these games also allow variable FOV's, which is how "wide" the camera is, which introduces even more stretching fuckery as it tries to map the image it's producing onto your physical monitor. For a good example of how hosed up that can get, if you have Skyrim, open the console with ~ and enter FOV 120. It's fun!

Seriously, though, games all have their own individual way of dealing with different aspect ratios, depending on what the designers felt was most important.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
So I'm looking to add a third monitor to my setup. Originally I was going to grab another 16:10 24" to go along with my existing two and have the possibility of doing nvidia surround but realistically I doubt I would use it very much. I think the better option is going with a 27" or 30" and I'm thinking 27" is the better choice for gaming. With that being said, is the HP ZR2740W going to be my best choice for a monitor in this size if response time is one of my biggest concerns? I've also heard the newest revision has a less aggressive AG coating than the Dell models which I would appreciate. The only bummer for me that I can see is the lack of scaler since I'd like the ability to hook my 360 up to it as well but I can use one of my other monitors for that purpose.

edit: I guess another one of my options is getting the nicest 27" or 30" I can get (disregarding response time for the most part) and then buying a 24" 120hz just for the times when I'm playing twitch games. I'm just not willing to give up IPS on my main display for when I'm not playing games. One of my 24" is on its deathbed anyway and I'd like to stay with 3 monitors so chances are I'll have to replace it soon anyway.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 19, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Does anyone here own a Samsung S27A850D or has seen one in action and can comment on the illumination issues that prad mentioned? It seems to be a common fault in most of the reviews, but some also say that they didn't experience it. Is it possible that this was just a fault with the earlier revisions of the monitor when it was first released?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

hotsauce posted:

Does length of DP cables affect quality? I got two 10ft ones instead of the 6ft ones...

No. DisplayPort is all digital.

This is both true and not true. It is all digital, but they're basically squeezing as much data as they can down those wires, and there are limits to cable lengths before the signal starts degrading.

For standards-compliant cable, 2560x1600x60hz is only guaranteed to work on cables 2 meters or less, for example. 1920x1080x60hz should be OK for standard cables up to 15m though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

AngryGuy posted:

So I'm looking to add a third monitor to my setup. Originally I was going to grab another 16:10 24" to go along with my existing two and have the possibility of doing nvidia surround but realistically I doubt I would use it very much. I think the better option is going with a 27" or 30" and I'm thinking 27" is the better choice for gaming. With that being said, is the HP ZR2740W going to be my best choice for a monitor in this size if response time is one of my biggest concerns? I've also heard the newest revision has a less aggressive AG coating than the Dell models which I would appreciate. The only bummer for me that I can see is the lack of scaler since I'd like the ability to hook my 360 up to it as well but I can use one of my other monitors for that purpose.

edit: I guess another one of my options is getting the nicest 27" or 30" I can get (disregarding response time for the most part) and then buying a 24" 120hz just for the times when I'm playing twitch games. I'm just not willing to give up IPS on my main display for when I'm not playing games. One of my 24" is on its deathbed anyway and I'd like to stay with 3 monitors so chances are I'll have to replace it soon anyway.

I've had a Dell u2412 and now a u2713hm. The antiglare on the u2713hm is much less aggressive than the u2412m, its almost "semi-gloss" in appearance. Now that I have a 27" I think if I had budget to choose from a 27" or a 30" I would go 30" for the multitasking potential. Think about it like this, you can have a full length 1280x1600 window on onside, and then two 1280x800 windows stacked on top of each other. That's like one monitor in portrait and two laptop display windows all on one monitor. With a 27" monitor, stacking two windows on top of each other the windows get crowded.

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004

Guni posted:

LG IPS234V 23inch IPS PANEL,1920x1080 Black

Or should I just wait 'till I can afford a Dell?

Edit: Won't be used for any photoshop/colour work, just gaming, movies and uni stuff.

Got one of these today. For the price the panel is amazing. Really nice colours, and prad.de (germanys monitor-sperg-site par excellance) even mentioned in their review the color accuracy is good enough for amateur photo editing without really needing to be calibrated. That's quite impressive for a 140 € 23" display. Reaction time seems good enough so far, as well as black levels.

HOWEVER: The included stand may be too wobbly unless the desk you place the monitor on is rather heavy. If that's an issue maybe get the 235 which is like 50 bux more and has a better stand. Both monitors can be put on vesa-mounts if needed, so that's an option too.

Edit: And every time you turn it on it shows you how many trees the eco-function saved. :v:

deichkind42 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 20, 2013

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I got a Asus off newegg, has all 5 star reviews, but the color is really blueish and too bright, I don't know if its something I can tune or should I have just bought a better monitor. It looks bad next to my Dell. It would probably be a huge pain to return I'm assuming?

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
Beyond choosing a monitor with a built in scaler and hdmi input, do I need to be concerned about which 1440p monitor I choose if one of my goals is to use my 360/PS3 with it and also watch blurays?

I know some monitors have 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080p and some don't, but does it really matter when it can be scaled up by the monitor anyway? Also, does 24p compatibility make a big difference with watching blurays?

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 20, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

please respond posted:

I got a Asus off newegg, has all 5 star reviews, but the color is really blueish and too bright, I don't know if its something I can tune or should I have just bought a better monitor. It looks bad next to my Dell. It would probably be a huge pain to return I'm assuming?
Is the Dell an IPS? If so, any TN monitor will look crappy next to it. You can probably make it look better by using whatever calibration tools your video card drivers have or using the controls on the monitor itself. If you decide to return it, Newegg will charge you a restocking fee.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Hey folks, I'm having some difficulties with hooking up my LCD TV, a Samsung LN40B650, to my desktop computer as a third monitor and I'm hoping someone's come across what I'm experiencing before.

I have two monitors currently connected via DVI to my Radeon 5870 and was planning on hooking up my TV via HDMI until I found out about EyeFinity requiring that any monitors beyond two use a DisplayPort connection. Upon doing a little reading I also learned that an HDMI to DisplayPort active converter is what I should be using to get the job done. So I went ahead and ordered this from Amazon after reading in the comments that some folks had success using it in setting up their setups.

The converter came in today, I tried it out and the moment I plug the converter into the DisplayPort port on my card my CPU's cores start spiking, my cursor starts lagging every few seconds, and any desktop windows I have open start flickering between each other as if the active window is constantly changing. Every so often I'll hear the "device found" tone from my system, as if it's detecting something, but nothing seems to come of it and the performance issues persist. Upon removing the converter from the port the issue clears up immediately. I can plug the TV in via HDMI and Catalyst detects it, but it refuses to extend the desktop to it for the reasons already mentioned above. I went ahead and updated Catalyst Control Center, even un/re-installing it, but the end result is the same.

Has anyone else come across this in trying to set up a third monitor via a HDMI-DisplayPort converter? I'm just wondering if there's some additional step I need to take in the Catalyst Control Center to prep for extending my desktop to the TV, or if it sounds like I have a dud converter. Thanks for any help you can offer, I really appreciate it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ATI AMD has a page listing their recommended adapters. They don't have any listed in the DP->HDMI sections. If you disconnect one of the monitors and connect the TV via the regular HDMI does it work? Does the adapter work if you only have one other monitor plugged in?

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

ATI AMD has a page listing their recommended adapters. They don't have any listed in the DP->HDMI sections. If you disconnect one of the monitors and connect the TV via the regular HDMI does it work? Does the adapter work if you only have one other monitor plugged in?

Funnily enough, I found that page when I was shopping around for adapters! It'd be nice if they had a supported one listed. :(

I disconnected my second DVI monitor and had no issues connecting the TV as a second monitor via HDMI. Desktop extension went through like clockwork, everything operated smoothly.

Using the DisplayPort adapter when only my main monitor was on resulted in the same issue I had initially; CPU spikes, Catalyst Control Center becomes non-responsive, active window flashes as if it's going passive and back to active repeatedly, periodic "device found" tone. After two repeat tests of this the system was non-responsive to the point that I had to perform a manual reset. I can't remember the last time I've had to do that before today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Is the Dell an IPS? If so, any TN monitor will look crappy next to it. You can probably make it look better by using whatever calibration tools your video card drivers have or using the controls on the monitor itself. If you decide to return it, Newegg will charge you a restocking fee.

Yeah I suppose it is, I wish I would have realized this. I just assumed monitor technology would have advanced more I guess, this is a definite step down.