Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sockington posted:

These are my only purchases in the past few years, but I went through a half dozen other guitars before ending here (mainly the fact I got into cars).

With a pearly gates

Pearly Gates are a good match for single coils. There's not that big of a volume jump going between the them and the humbucker like you get with hotter pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

Pearly Gates are a good match for single coils. There's not that big of a volume jump going between the them and the humbucker like you get with hotter pickups.

It had the Fender hum bucker installed originally, but it still produced a slight hum and the sound quality didn't sound that nice, to be honest.

The SD pearly gates made a noticeable difference, but my Fender amp was still a stumbling block for the tone I wanted. Hoping to try out a few Roland Cubes (40XL) to see if I can tone down some of the Strat "brightness".

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I got a delaylab.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Got a new Soundcraft EFX12 mix console and reconfigured my setup. Going to get a three-tier keyboard rack and new desk w/ rack spaces soonish (Omnirax Presto, most likely, unless someone has a better suggestion). Still don't have the actual interface yet but I can do everything else I want for the time being. Pretty happy with it. Need to optimize my MIDI routing big time.

Not pictured: JCM 900 half-stack, Les Paul Special, Juno 106

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
Finally got myself a Roland JD-800 having lusted after one (on and off, admittedly) practically since it first came out. A bucket list type of deal in a way, I guess, but it still holds its own to this day as a pretty amazing lead/pad machine.

Hooray!

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

maximadigital posted:

Finally got myself a Roland JD-800 having lusted after one (on and off, admittedly) practically since it first came out. A bucket list type of deal in a way, I guess, but it still holds its own to this day as a pretty amazing lead/pad machine.

Hooray!

Hell yeah, nice work. Those are great!

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Having a mixing board directly in front of me like that would drive me insane

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
God what a wonderful double Kurzweil spotting :unsmith:

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Schlieren posted:

Having a mixing board directly in front of me like that would drive me insane

It's fine, i just plop my wireless keyboard in top of it if I need to type something for some reason, which is rare for me to do while I'm working and I don't post or chat on the same computer I'm working on if I can avoid it

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Synths, a bottle of Buffalo Trace and programming books... a man after my own heart :shlick:

Great setup, I need to finish moving into my new apartment and shoot a picture.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

HTML5 posted:

Got a new Soundcraft EFX12 mix console and reconfigured my setup. Going to get a three-tier keyboard rack and new desk w/ rack spaces soonish (Omnirax Presto, most likely, unless someone has a better suggestion). Still don't have the actual interface yet but I can do everything else I want for the time being. Pretty happy with it. Need to optimize my MIDI routing big time.

Not pictured: JCM 900 half-stack, Les Paul Special, Juno 106

Sweet, I have programming books along a shelf near my music station too. I'm a Windows/Linux person though.

I also agree that having your Mixing board directly in front of your desktop is pretty awkward. I'm guessing you mix a lot?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

renderful posted:

Synths, a bottle of Buffalo Trace and programming books... a man after my own heart :shlick:

Great setup, I need to finish moving into my new apartment and shoot a picture.

To be fair, I don't do "work stuff" on that computer anymore, and I'm not sure how I would fare, except throwing my legs up and cracking away on the wireless keys. It's certainly possible to get things done. I have a laptop though I use for "not music" stuff if I need to get serious at home (I try not to anymore). And actually, I was thinking of moving them out and moving all of my music related books/print outs/binders/etc. in but for some reason I find them kind of inspiring where they are. I've picked up the old C programming book before and just read a little bit and saw a sequence of words that gave me an idea. Plus they remind me of real "work" which is kinda good to have around during music time so I don't slack off and turn it into some D&D hobby (even though it is in a sense, I don't wanna feel like that). #LifeHacks

Kerpal posted:

I also agree that having your Mixing board directly in front of your desktop is pretty awkward. I'm guessing you mix a lot?

All of my actual mixes are analog for the time being. I dump the master channel into the compressor then into the (currently non-existant) audio interface, which pretty much just goes into Logic as a 2 channel recording (as if it was a tape). Kind of stupid, but once I get the interface, I'm going to make those inserts into sends and pump all the channels into the interface as well so I can either get the full board mix, or I can record individual channels and mix inside the box, but it would still first go through the board.

I guess I should also add that board has a master channel insert which is what I'm gonna use for my main compressor but to be honest I don't know how all that works yet so LOL maybe not??

Asshole Masonanie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 14, 2013

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
Contributing to the SX chat: I bought a 5-string SX Jazz Bass copy from a guy on eBay who replaced all the hardware and electronics with Fender stuff and it sounds great.

I'm finally getting around to builing v3 of my DIY(ish) e-drums, and this time I wanted to do it right to minimize how much tweaking I'll have to do. Snagged a Roland TD-12 a few days ago:

A Roland FD-7 Hi-hat pedal:

A Yamaha PCY130s I'll be using for a hi-hat and a PCY150s I'll be using for one of my crashes (will have to mod both to get all three zones to work with the TD-12).

I also got a huge lot of rack parts (enough to make at least two full racks) for $150 after shipping. It came with so many connector pieces and hardware mounts that it's like digging through a box of Lego looking for the right piece.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

It came in Thursday. Saw they had a "honeyburst" (really looks more like Gibson's Cherryburst) so $150 for the guitar, bag, shipping, and some DVD which I will probably watch hammered at some point this week.

I'm not fighting with it like I was any of the Squiers at a similar price point. The pickups don't sound half bad thru an AC4 and the finish and neck are both terrific. I somehow missed that the neck had white binding, but I'll get over that. Time to spend more than it was ever worth on GFS parts!

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Just picked up these two yesterday. A '74 Gibson L6-S (mint. awesome!) and a De Armond M77 with the Goldtone USA pickups.

A pic of the whole family:

From back to front off the wall: Gretch Resonator, De Armond M77, '03 MIA Strat, Fender Jag Bass, '74 Gibson L6-S, Gretch Lap steel.
Along the wall from back to front: '04 MIM Strat, PRS SE Soapbar II, Fender Toronado GT, Squier 51, Fender TC-90, Squier II, Gretch Electromatic 5120, Charvel TX Custom, '85 MIJ Fender Tele '62 reissue, Fender Nashville Deluxe with a b-bender, and a '96 G&L ASAT.

And a panorama of my money pit:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do you like the bridge on that L6?

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

muike posted:

How do you like the bridge on that L6?

No complaints. It's a pretty beefy chunk of metal -- it's comfortable on the palm. It's good and intonated and the string height is right on, so I haven't had to try to make adjustments on it. If I do have to, I could foresee it being a problem because the screws look a bit corroded.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Because Bernie Rico Jr. has effectively disappeared leaving me out $1800 and a custom guitar, I'm having a bit of a guitar crisis and am weighing my options. There are tons of instruments I want, but I'm low on cash and can't sell any of my current guitars; out of 3 8's only one is working (and not the custom, that's just completely hosed thanks to what seems to be major fuckups in the neck build quality).

So I'm looking at various production guitars, something cheap as a stopgap until either Bernie reappears or I work out something again (3rd time's a charm) with the other luthier and get my custom fixed.

I'm gonna hit up a Guitar Center tomorrow to try out the Ibanez RG8:

It's definitely not an amazing guitar, but from the dozens of reviews it seems to be solid and excellent for modding. Depending on how much I like it, I may cannibalize the tuners and Dimarzio DA8s from my non-working Agile and hopefully end up with something better.

Of course there's the RGIR28 which is not in stock anywhere (but looks excellent), but that's more than I want to spend and getting into Carvin prices. Which I will eventually get.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

The Gasmask posted:

So I'm looking at various production guitars, something cheap as a stopgap

I have an Agile Intrepid Pro 828 I'd sell you for cheap, if you want a beater. PM me if interested.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Gasmask posted:

It's definitely not an amazing guitar, but from the dozens of reviews it seems to be solid and excellent for modding. Depending on how much I like it, I may cannibalize the tuners and Dimarzio DA8s from my non-working Agile and hopefully end up with something better.

What's wrong with your Agile?

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

Because Bernie Rico Jr. has effectively disappeared...

Did a quick search and according to his Facebook page he has been extremely ill over the last few months, to the point where he shut down his website temporarily.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's how the story goes.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

The Rico situation is all sorts of crazy. He has something like a 300 guitar backlog, and has completed maybe a dozen over the past year (that might even be high). Most of the people who got in on the Black Friday run have been waiting over 2 years, and the builds had a quoted time of 45-60 days. The guitars that have shipped have had major construction issues, needing rebuilds. One guy had his rebuilt 3 times, on the fourth rebuild now I think, and he's been waiting over 3 years. In terms of Bernie being sick, it sucks, but he's never communicated this directly with the customers. He'll disappear for 3 months, no one can get in touch, then a random person will say "oh, Bernie's been sick but he has too much pride to let you guys know" (that was actually said, more than once). It's been a disaster all around, and I'm seriously regretting getting in on it. Even if I do get my guitar (it only needs hardware. It's done otherwise, and been needing hardware and that's it for nearly 2 years), there's a good chance it'll be an $1800 paperweight.

E: This kinda makes me sound like an rear end, glossing over him being sick. Unfortunately, there were tons of issues with his builds and the Black Friday Run even before he got sick, so that compounded with his absolute unwillingness to communicate anything to his customers has made my sympathy for his business run thin. I feel for the man, we've talked a bunch and he's struggling. But that really doesn't excuse how he's treated people. He actually threatened to keep someone's build and money when they asked (not even demanded) if a refund was possible.

My Agile Intrepid 828 has what appears to be a warped neck. Gonna take it to my tech to see if there's anything he can do. Since it's a bolt-on if worse comes to worse I'll email Kurt to see if he has any necks in stock. I know a few people have gotten them, and it'll save building one or buying a new guitar.

That's all a major derail (started by me I know), so to bring this back, I picked up a new 7-string today! An Ibanez ARZ307FM. I was planning on checking out the RG8 but they were out of stock, and while noodling on the Les Pauls I came across the Ibanez. Gave it a spin and it jived, and since I have a CrunchLab and LiquiFire to go in I figured, "why not?"
I haven't had a 7 in a while, the last one was an RG7321 and I didn't like the super-thin neck. This one isn't a baseball bat, but it's got a nice heft. I don't know if I'll keep it - may end up on the trading block, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Pics coming shortly.

(look at that heel!)

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 19, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Gasmask posted:

(look at that heel!)

Those curves, :drat:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

Those curves, :drat:

This is my first Les Paul style guitar that has a heel like that. I'm used to a solid block of wood there and when I picked this up I was blown away by how much of a difference it makes. I have no trouble at all reaching the 24th fret on all but the lowest 3 strings. There are also some nice cutaways on the lower horn and back, which makes the guitar very comfortable to both hold and play.

Weight is also nice; I haven't done a proper weighing but it feels like it's ~7.5-8lbs. My Agile semi-custom AL627 weighs 10.6lbs and I almost don't want to play it anymore after using the Ibanez for a bit.
Pickups aren't terrible either. They're not amazing or anything, but they sound better than the ones in the RG7321. I'm still gonna replace them, but it's not as pressing as I first thought.

I read that this has been discontinued (the FM model, standard black is still being made), so if someone's looking for a single-cutaway 7 string and can find a nice discount it's worth a shot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Not really a purchase, but my brother and sister-in-law are moving and for the time being don't have space for this. So I'm holding onto it indefinitely:

Casio PX-100

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

While I was at my tech's shop today, I noticed something tucked in the corner. Upon closer inspection, I found this (for only $150!):

A Behringer K3000FX. It's a 300w keyboard amp/PA thingie. Up until now I've been using my AxeFX through my BlueSky monitors. Sure, it sounds excellent, but I'm very limited in volume and jamming with a drummer is out of the question. This thing seems to be great for that situation. From what I've read each channel is 75 watts, so I can use 1 set of stereo outs from the Axe for 150w, or use both main stereo outs for the full 300w. Sound quality is fine for what I'm doing. Using both the Axe global EQ and Behringer EQ lets me tune the sound enough, and I didn't notice any distortion or piercing tones while cranked. Built-in effects are typical Behringer quality, but I'll probably never use them.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Bwahahaha.

DL Noble Sonic Sitka small jumbo, only one like it on earth.

It is mine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Squirrel Burger posted:

Bwahahaha.

It is mine.

That contour, oh man

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

Bwahahaha.

It is mine.

That's loving beautiful! Congrats! I'm a sucker for acoustics with figured wood, and that one is something else.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Squirrel Burger posted:

Bwahahaha.

It is mine.

Wow, that's gorgeous, congrats!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Squirrel Burger posted:

Bwahahaha.

Amazing :golfclap:

Picked up a Cube 40XL and it's everything I could want from a small amp. I'm in love with playing again. :allears:

Got it for $230 taxes included and a free set of strings.

My noiseless GFS pickups get here this week, so I bought that Hakko-888 to have a nicer installation time than with my lovely RadioShack poo poo-iron. I don't think my Strat has ever been setup properly, so I'll be following the guides and see how much better it sounds and feels afterwards.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That Extreme Heavy Octave feature sounds rad as hell.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

That 7-string Ibanez I got a short while ago? I think I need to return it now. The reason being this:

A Takamine EG523SC-12 12 string acoustic/electric guitar.

Happened to come across it at the Boston Guitar Center and literally couldn't bring myself to stop playing it*. I've never owned a 12 and the 8-10 I've played have almost invariably had awful action and either too boxy or too anemic tones, this was the first time I've ever clicked instantly with one. It's got a spruce top, flame maple back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and bridge, spiffy MoP and abalone inlays, and a surprisingly good preamp. Plays well with low action (a hair higher than I'd like but still very good), loud as poo poo, and though it's a tad on the bright side there's a solid low-end to it that fills out the sound spectrum.

Did a 3 guitar jam last night and it completely overpowered the other guitars, but when I moved away a little and played with a light touch everything fell into place. It sat in a range that wasn't clashing with the other guitars so there was no trouble picking out each instrument clearly. Also ran it through my new PA thing posted above; even sitting right next to it with the thing cranked there was no feedback. Produced this huge sound that teetered on the edge of breaking up, it was amazing!

It was hard enough pulling myself away to take some pics and post this, but it's my first 12 and I'm very excited!

*There was also a Breedlove 12 string there which I liked more than the Taka. It had slightly lower action, a smaller body, and a semi-gloss (satin?) neck. But that was out of my price range ($950 vs. $700) and the Taka kept up with it enough that it wasn't a real compromise.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I just got one of these...

Universal Audio 610 Solo preamp. I love it. The biggest advantage I've found with a megashiny preamp is that everything fits in the mix better. I'm finding myself cutting out less poo poo sounds and leaving more stuff in. Things dont sound DIFFERENT, but they do sound a lot more polished. I'd call it a half-step up from a Focusrite ISA One, but a worthy step up. I'm totally adding too much Tube Saturation but goddamnit, it's FUN at the moment so I dont give a poo poo.

I also got these repaired:

Focal Spirit One headphones. After about 2 weeks of owning them, the left driver started rattling. There'd be this kinda clicky sound if I was moving around even when no sound was coming out of them and rarely, the right side would do it too. In terms of irritating sounds, it was right up there, especially from something that was pretty drat pricey.

Got 'em back and holy poo poo. There is so much more bass. It must've been more than a dodgy seal. I always thought that they were really detailed but a little thin, but right now they sound unreal. The vocals really jump out at you with these puppies on.

All in all, I'm in a slight bit of audio heaven.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

Universal Audio 610 Solo preamp. I love it. The biggest advantage I've found with a megashiny preamp is that everything fits in the mix better. I'm finding myself cutting out less poo poo sounds and leaving more stuff in. Things dont sound DIFFERENT, but they do sound a lot more polished. I'd call it a half-step up from a Focusrite ISA One, but a worthy step up. I'm totally adding too much Tube Saturation but goddamnit, it's FUN at the moment so I dont give a poo poo.

I've been on the fence about one of these for a while, I'm glad to hear it sounds good! I'm currently using Soundcraft pre's (the Spirit 328 digital mixer, they're similar to the Ghost preamps IIRC) and RME FireFace pre's, both of which sound different and work well together. Still not sure if the 610 will be a huge improvement, but it may add the kind of flavor I want.

Do you have any comparison tracks?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Gasmask posted:

I've been on the fence about one of these for a while, I'm glad to hear it sounds good! I'm currently using Soundcraft pre's (the Spirit 328 digital mixer, they're similar to the Ghost preamps IIRC) and RME FireFace pre's, both of which sound different and work well together. Still not sure if the 610 will be a huge improvement, but it may add the kind of flavor I want.

Do you have any comparison tracks?

No comparisons ready to go yet. I dont know much about other pres but the tube saturation really is glorious. If you want any tube saturation, I wouldn't consider anything else. Plus what's awesome is that the tube actually gives the tracks some life. If playing guitar for example and you dig in at one stage, it'll sound like you dug in but the tube will make it feel like you did as well.

This thing will sound beastly with vocals. Pity I cant sing but it's worth noting.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Hanson Guitars (Lakland's sister company) is releasing a new 12-string that sounds pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9IYgorQdY

I don't even play guitar hardly anymore and I want it.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

Scarf posted:

Hanson Guitars (Lakland's sister company) is releasing a new 12-string that sounds pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9IYgorQdY

I don't even play guitar hardly anymore and I want it.

Gotta chime in to say that a full body acoustic 12 string is one hell of a sound box. My dad picked up a something brand 12 string acoustic from a pawn shop for 50 bucks. I've had it constantly out in drop D for AT LEAST 7 years now, such a full sound and works great for slide (especially in drop D, barred across all 12). Feelin like a cool rear end dude every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonoscopy_
Nov 1, 2010
Grabbed this VHT Pittbull 100CL yesterday. There are a ton of sounds in there with just two channels. The Redstar 2x12's are a couple months old, but I got to crank them not too long ago and it was glorious.