Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doom 3 was pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
Take that back- it was leagues ahead of this and still manages to look better somehow than this pile of wasted potential.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Vintersorg posted:

Doom 3 was pretty terrible.

It was mediocre at worst. It was extremely well crafted at a technical level.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Doom 3 was an awful Doom game, though.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Doom 3 was an awful Doom game, though.

Yeah this. I thought Doom 3 was an OK game but as a Doom game it was awful. I had fun with it though.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Rinkles posted:

I think some of you are being a tad bit hyperbolic. It's disastrous in some places, but it's graphically definitely not a last gen game.

From last page.

Looks like Halo 2; No shadows and shiny surfaces.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Also do they ever explain how a guy who was in a cryotube and then was impaled by a support beam when his ship crashed on a prison planet is in the game?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

New Concept Hole posted:

From last page.

I saw that. Did I not say "disastrous in places"?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

New Concept Hole posted:

From last page.

What version of the game is this, and is that a pop-in bug with the wall textures or is that what they are supposed to look like? There's a weird square, pixelated-looking effect on them that reminds me of Unreal pop-in. There's definitely things I've seen that couldn't possibly exist last gen but that... probably could have.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Also do they ever explain how a guy who was in a cryotube and then was impaled by a support beam when his ship crashed on a prison planet is in the game?

That's a long story.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
The demo for Doom 3 wasn't a complete fabrication like the one we got out of this.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

who has the video of them basically using the WoW Boar soundclip just pitched up for the Alien?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Also how are there blind aliens that can only sense via hearing when literally all aliens are blind.

Gearbox...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Also how are there blind aliens that can only sense via hearing when literally all aliens are blind.

Gearbox...

http://tinyurl.com/aset5cp

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's loving sad that you look at that "What Went Wrong?" video and see people trying to defend Gearbox in the comments. No matter how bullshit we KNOW it is, people eat up Gearbox's unfiltered bullshit like it's the voice of God.
Can they seriously not understand the major lack of competence that goes into a seven year development time, sitting on the project for ages, refusing to work on it properly despite the publisher's insistence, and then when you realize that you're bleeding money and your publisher is slowly getting more and more pissed, you contract out the broken remains of the game to a small studio with not enough manpower or resources to properly patch the game together in what was likely only a year of development time, you leave the multiplayer inhouse, but still haphazardly slap together a bunch of modes and call it day, then put out preview videos and demos that look astoundingly better with the face of the company slobbering all over how amazing and true and incredible their game is, and not loving say to yourself, "This is probably Gearbox's fault."

It's insane that this poo poo actually works on "gamers," what the gently caress is wrong with this industry?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Overbite posted:

Yeah this. I thought Doom 3 was an OK game but as a Doom game it was awful. I had fun with it though.

Back when I first played doom :corsair: I actually played it like doom3. I walked around slowly getting unnerved by imp snorts. The players came up with the mouselooking always run circle strafing twitchy doom we know today. I guess the argument could be made that id sort of embraced newdoom by doom2's release but I can see what they were going for with doom3. I can also understand why everyone was so dissapointed with it. It's kind of like when tribes 2 was released without skiing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

JebanyPedal posted:

It's loving sad that you look at that "What Went Wrong?" video and see people trying to defend Gearbox in the comments. No matter how bullshit we KNOW it is, people eat up Gearbox's unfiltered bullshit like it's the voice of God.
Can they seriously not understand the major lack of competence that goes into a seven year development time, sitting on the project for ages, refusing to work on it properly despite the publisher's insistence, and then when you realize that you're bleeding money and your publisher is slowly getting more and more pissed, you contract out the broken remains of the game to a small studio with not enough manpower or resources to properly patch the game together in what was likely only a year of development time, you leave the multiplayer inhouse, but still haphazardly slap together a bunch of modes and call it day, then put out preview videos and demos that look astoundingly better with the face of the company slobbering all over how amazing and true and incredible their game is, and not loving say to yourself, "This is probably Gearbox's fault."

It's insane that this poo poo actually works on "gamers," what the gently caress is wrong with this industry?

princess240p posted:

Keep defending gearbox you moronic oval office... Keep licking their asholes .. they hosed this game up but your too much of a human being to see it... Wake up you turd, and borderlands loving sucks anyway

Thankfully there are some consumer advocates fighting the good fight.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Photex posted:

who has the video of them basically using the WoW Boar soundclip just pitched up for the Alien?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyBXP58KNUg is this it?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I don't think I've ever been more angry about a game I bought than this. I mean, I'm sure I've played worse games before, but not that I spent this much to acquire. And since I bought a key from GMG and then plugged it into Steam, there's absolutely no way for me to get a refund on it. All the stuff the people had managed to dig up about the development of the game [and that video showing the difference between the E3 2012 demo and the actual release] is just icing on the cake. This is definitely the last time I buy a game from Gearbox that isn't Borderlands, and there's no way I ever preorder anything from them again. It's just absolutely disgraceful. Mass Effect 3, at least, had 95% of a great game, Aliens: Colonial Marines would be lucky to have 5% of one.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Great Rumbler posted:

I don't think I've ever been more angry about a game I bought than this. I mean, I'm sure I've played worse games before, but not that I spent this much to acquire. And since I bought a key from GMG and then plugged it into Steam, there's absolutely no way for me to get a refund on it. All the stuff the people had managed to dig up about the development of the game [and that video showing the difference between the E3 2012 demo and the actual release] is just icing on the cake. This is definitely the last time I buy a game from Gearbox that isn't Borderlands, and there's no way I ever preorder anything from them again. It's just absolutely disgraceful. Mass Effect 3, at least, had 95% of a great game, Aliens: Colonial Marines would be lucky to have 5% of one.

It's probably better to just never preorder a game, ever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man, I can forgive using stock sounds in a game but that's pretty loving lazy to use one for dying aliens in a game about killing aliens.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So whats happening with the Wii U version? Amazon no longer has it listed, Gamestop has it being released on 12/31/13, and Kotaku made an article about it being postponed. I'd figure they'd squeeze it out anyway to get some more money.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

JebanyPedal posted:

A big problem with the industry is that some studios have their heads up their own rear end so far that they're positive they can do no wrong, and will blame everyone from the reviewers to members of the development team to its own fanbase, and they do this because "video game journalists" will back them up 100% of the way, because "gamers don't get it" and, "it's art", or, "gamers expect too much so even if we did do a good job you'd still be mad".

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 14, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

B... but... my preorder bonuses... :qq:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Usually I don't, but sometimes I do. My love for Alien/Aliens really blinded me on this one, but it doesn't help that Gearbox wasn't shy about bending the truth whenever they could. It's certainly not going to happen to again, that's for drat sure.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

InterFaced posted:

I guess the argument could be made that id sort of embraced newdoom by doom2's release but I can see what they were going for with doom3.

The reason Doom 3 was slow with low monster counts was because they couldn't replicate the old games with the new tech at the time.

Great Rumbler posted:

My love for Alien/Aliens really blinded me on this one

I'm a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, but a good Alien game hasn't been released in thirteen years.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Great Rumbler posted:

Usually I don't, but sometimes I do. My love for Alien/Aliens really blinded me on this one, but it doesn't help that Gearbox wasn't shy about bending the truth whenever they could. It's certainly not going to happen to again, that's for drat sure.

Make yourself feel better with a hella good game.

I'm a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, but a good Alien game hasn't been released in thirteen years.

See above.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Hey, I mean, I put some of them blame for this one on myself, too. There were of the warning signs out there, but I ignored them because I really wanted this game to be good. It wasn't and I'm left to deal with good money that I willingly flushed down the toilet.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I very nearly got this for my birthday (thankfully I didn't) but I want to know how the gently caress is Hicks alive? Did Weyland-Yutani Space Medicine© save him from terminal supportbeamitis? I'm guessing Alien 3 has been retconned out of existence or something.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Vanderdeath posted:

I very nearly got this for my birthday (thankfully I didn't) but I want to know how the gently caress is Hicks alive? Did Weyland-Yutani Space Medicine© save him from terminal supportbeamitis? I'm guessing Alien 3 has been retconned out of existence or something.

"It's a long story."

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

He got better. And now Vasquez and Michelle Rodriguez's character from Avatar are a lesbian smartgunning couple.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

While that is a good game a sidescroller doesn't really capture the feel of Alien and so the actual last good Alien game can be had for 5 bucks on Steam.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm guessing Alien 3 has been retconned out of existence or something.

Considering Bishop is a copy of the president of the company in the game I think Alien 3 still sorta counts in their world?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I may cheer myself up by buying System Shock 2 when it's released on GoG tomorrow. It's a far better game AND actually tense/scary. Just throw in a few HD texture mods and it'll actually LOOK better, too!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This is glorious. It should also be in the OP for any future Gearbox game threads.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Can anyone describe to me in a couple paragraphs what the gently caress Obsidian's Aliens RPG would have been like? I have no idea how you would do an RPG of all things in that setting. Walk around the town and village talking to people with an AP/KOTOR shouldercam? I don't have any idea, it sounds bizarre and nonsense. Are there details beyond "Obsidian", "Aliens", and "RPG"?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

"It's a long story."

It's staggering and infuriating that this is the only explanation that this shitheap game gives you. Then it's immediately back to "oh hell other more important things are happening like marines are being left behind somewhere and we can't have that, oo rah".

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I'd actually LOVE to see a BF2 styled game pitting Colonial Marines against the UPP from Gibson's Alien 3 script.

Considering the UPP were enemies in Infestation, it could happen! Not realistically, but one can dream.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

It's staggering and infuriating that this is the only explanation that this shitheap game gives you. Then it's immediately back to "oh hell other more important things are happening like marines are being left behind somewhere and we can't have that, oo rah".

Don't worry all will be revealed in the sequel!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm so so so loving glad I never laid money down for this game. Just using a buddy's copy.

I've already made my way through almost the entire game and I've just barely hit four hours. I also can't believe that I just now noticed that the massive problem with this game is that the shadows are complete poo poo and the textures look like they are from the late 90's in some cases. I knew something was 'off' about the visuals of the game, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

John Magnum posted:

Can anyone describe to me in a couple paragraphs what the gently caress Obsidian's Aliens RPG would have been like? I have no idea how you would do an RPG of all things in that setting. Walk around the town and village talking to people with an AP/KOTOR shouldercam? I don't have any idea, it sounds bizarre and nonsense. Are there details beyond "Obsidian", "Aliens", and "RPG"?

They haven't ever said much about it, other than that it would have been turn-based.

• Locked thread