Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've just realized I've been rather traumatized by the finale of the the anime. I've heard of Berserk for long time and after a friend who's loved the manga series for years had me watch the new movies, I finally got around to watching the anime in addition to starting the manga.

But man, I knew it was heading that direction after what the first episode and first manga volumes introduced, but I didn't expect it to be so brutal and crushing. I just watched the 'outtakes' from the anime and laughed hysterically, especially at the final one. When it got to the scenes from the Eclipse, though, I actually got a really heavy feeling of dread and despair. I can't stand to see Griffith now, especially his helmet/Femto head. It's ridiculous, but wow did this series impact me. I love the anime soundtrack immensely, but I now have a hard time listening to it after being kicked in the gut so hard at the end. It's like PTSD or something. I don't know how I'll be able to make it through Descent.

There's just something about certain types of manga/anime that really distresses me. Maybe it's because I loved it so much as a kid but found it much more disturbing than all the horror movies I'd seen at even a younger age that have never phased me. Certain scenes from Akira and a few other series have the same effect on me.

I've continued reading and just finished the Elves of the Misty Valley arc, which was soul crushing, too, so that probably hasn't helped...

Amazing series, though, and I'm glad to finally get around to reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

notZaar posted:

I am rereading some of the books now, up to the Holy Tower rebirth arc. I forgot how much graphic sex there is in these parts, I'm thinking Miura was going through some lonely months when he penned this stuff.
Is there a single instance in Berserk of consensual sex where nothing horrible happens?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Guts and Casca at the waterfall? :shobon:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Soulcleaver posted:

Is there a single instance in Berserk of consensual sex where nothing horrible happens?

I guess, if you count prostitution as not too horrible.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Roobanguy posted:

That did cause Guts to have a fit over his childhood and almost strangle Caska.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

That's probably the closest to a positive depiction of sex in Berserk. I really like that volume because it's bookended by two sexual experiences, one which is Griffith and Charlotte's disturbing, date-rapey sex scene, and Guts and Caska's, which is a legitimate expression of love. Creates a nice contrast.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Griffith and Charlotte is basically 90% of romance novels. It really kind of pisses me off though because I know women that identify or like the rape sex in Game of Thrones. I so wish someone would make Berserk like SOIF for a cable network. That's.... my dream *cue Gats*

temple fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 12, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Thank God. I thought we were going to be in some horrible loop where all anyone ever animated was the Golden Age arc.

BERSERKER ARMOR. :black101:

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 12, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Here's a horrifying question:

So the demon fetus that pops out of Caska, was that Caska and Griffith's kid or was that Gutts and Caska's child who was then turned into a demon due to Griffith raping her?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The latter.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

LordMune posted:

The latter.

I figured. That's so much worse. :negative:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

E the Shaggy posted:

In real life if you always imagine the worst possible outcome you'll usually be pleasantly surprised.

In Berserk, you're simply correct.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

E the Shaggy posted:

It's going to get even worse.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know what, that ballroom scene in the second movie is quite enjoyable. Sure, it looks like a Final Fantasy Tactics cutscene from the PSP version at times, but it manages to have some charm.

I really hope they handled the Eclipse well in the third movie... It's one of the reasons I'm re-reading the manga right now. That and it turning into super happy fun times with elves and children.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, I'm legitimately excited about the third movie, after being sorta "meh" on the second one. The first 10 minutes were released online and they build things up really well. Plus the Skull Knight scene early on seems great. They nailed his voice.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I watched the first two movies over the weekend and was pretty pleased. Of course, they're both going to pale in comparison to when the Eclipse actually happens. When I first saw the 90s series, I had no idea that the series was going to have such a sudden and violent tonal shift. It will be interesting to see how graphic/crazy the movie gets.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

From what I've been reading about the movie, again it's missing enough to draw big complaints from the hardcore fanbase. Other than Skull Knight and Silat, don't expect much to be there that wasn't in the old series.

Do expect a very intensely graphic and thorough depiction of the Eclipse though. It released in R15 and R18 forms in Japan. The 15 one is apparently shockingly violent as it is. I have no idea what's different about the other one.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Probably something to do with Casca's pubic hair.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
How often does Berserk release these days? I made this thread five years ago, and I've been trying to save up chapters since four years ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's sporadic as all hell. You'll have maybe 40 chapters to read but they tend to get released in clumps where 2-4 of them come out almost weekly then nothing comes out for months on end. There's been a new tank more or less annually, though we're currently about 18 months from the last one, 9 or 10 chapters each.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 4, 2013

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

dis astranagant posted:

It's sporadic as all hell. You'll have maybe 40 chapters to read but they tend to get released in clumps where 2-4 of them come out almost weekly then nothing comes out for months on end. There's been a new tank more or less annually, though we're currently about 18 months from the last one, 9 or 10 chapters each.

How far is this story from ending? :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Forever. We just started a new arc.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

No one knows. Miura said at the most it's 70% done, but even he isn't sure. My consolation is that he's only in his 40s, and Japanese people tend to live a pretty long time. I just hope he doesn't smoke and eats healthy.

Edit: Also Skullknight.net did a pretty funny video for April Fools about Berserk. They have more of a sense of humor than I thought, though the video runs a little long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=caFrwIEILhg

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 4, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I hope that something worthwhile results from the recent sea god/mermaids arc. The god itself was pretty enjoyable (Fighting against a giant's heartbeat? That's metal as gently caress) but everything leading up to it was kind of tedious; it felt like the first time in Berserk where Guts' victories were easily won and he wasn't in any danger at all. I hope we've seen the last of the Wacky Comic Relief Pirates. And all we apparently gained from this arc was some more kid hangers-on, though the spooky child will probably do something grandiose/horrific eventually and we'll see apostles eating roast mermaid before long.

One thing that is unassailable, though, is Mirua's skill with the pen. His art (especially in recent volumes) is some of the most magnificent work I've ever seen in any medium. The man will spend hundreds of hours drawing every plank and crack and window on a giant warship, he gives no fucks about deadlines. I hope he lives another 40 years, though. :ohdear:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Berserk is his life's work, we can only hope that it ends before he does. He may not be old old but there have been plenty of others dead before their time around his age.

If 70% means page count we're probably looking at another 20 years at the rate he's been going lately, more if he starts giving even fewer fucks about deadlines in favor of even more painstakingly drawn art.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 4, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fortunately, he is doing a monthly (haha) manga instead of a weekly. In other words, he probably isn't slowly killing himself by overworking like so many other mangaka are.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Fortunately, he is doing a monthly (haha) manga instead of a weekly. In other words, he probably isn't slowly killing himself by overworking like so many other mangaka are.
Young Animal is bi-weekly.

Yeah, it's that bad. His pace is probably the result of him already having killed himself through twenty years of overwork rather than any actual effort to... pace himself. v:shobon:v

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Was there any truth to the rumor that he was spending all of his time playing The Idolmaster?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Where do you think Schierke came from?? Schierke does own though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Was there any truth to the rumor that he was spending all of his time playing The Idolmaster?

Not really. I think he mentioned one of the games like once, and it became a meme. Considering the sheer quality of the sporadic chapters, he's hardly just lounging about between putting out the occasional chapter.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 4, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Not really. I think he mentioned talked about one of the games like once, and it became a meme like thing. Considering the sheer quality of the sporadic chapters, he's hardly just lounging about between putting out the occasional chapter.

Yeah he mentioned the series and it became a joke with 2ch originally, I believe.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
Wow I got really excited when I saw there were new posts in this thread but no. :arghfist:
Anyway at least we shouldn't have to wait much longer before the third movie is released on DVD.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished reading the latest story arc after putting Berserk down for a couple years (not counting slowly building up my Berserk library), and I was on the edge of my seat whenever they showed mermaids; I'm terrified of the real ocean, if I had to live in the Berserk ocean I'd just kill myself out of terror.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But they're friendly mermaids. For once Miura didn't make the fantasy creatures be all rapey or tear people's flesh with their teeth. Instead they have magic songs that cleanse evil. He must be going soft.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ccs posted:

But they're friendly mermaids. For once Miura didn't make the fantasy creatures be all rapey or tear people's flesh with their teeth. Instead they have magic songs that cleanse evil. He must be going soft.

You can't just make everything bleak all the time. You gotta give that little bit of hope, so that when it's finally all taken away it stings even more.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Twitch posted:

I just finished reading the latest story arc after putting Berserk down for a couple years (not counting slowly building up my Berserk library), and I was on the edge of my seat whenever they showed mermaids; I'm terrified of the real ocean, if I had to live in the Berserk ocean I'd just kill myself out of terror.

Dude, mermaids showed up over a year and a half ago. No need to spoiler that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Fantasy is a spectrum. If you have rape vore demon bugs then you are obligated to fit in singing merpeople somewhere.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I meant I was on the edge of my seat out of empathy for the mermaids. As in, holy poo poo it would suck to have to live in the ocean in Berserk.

Sorry about the spoilers, waiting for a backlog of chapters to build up, then reading them all at once kinda screws with my concept of when things came out.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So I'm doing a reread, and I'm having trouble figuring out whats up with Lord Mozgus, the executioner guy for the religion. It seems like hes an apostle, but does it ever explain how he became one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So I'm doing a reread, and I'm having trouble figuring out whats up with Lord Mozgus, the executioner guy for the religion. It seems like hes an apostle, but does it ever explain how he became one?

He's a quasi-Apostle. As we saw before with, for example, the Slug-Apostle from the intro to the series with his Axe-wielding underling, Apostles can insert bits of their power into individuals and awaken their potential. They aren't fated and are typically weaker overall, but the corruption can vastly increase their ability.

The Egg of the New World Apostle had inserted some of himself into Mozgus as he admired him. As it happens, the Egg has a LOT of power, and Mozgus' zealotry warped him into something truly powerful.