Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Slavvy posted:

50mm seems pretty high, what sort of bike are we talking here?

It's a '01 BMW F650 Dakar, a dual sport. It's quite tall and springy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Legerdemain posted:

It's a '01 BMW F650 Dakar, a dual sport. It's quite tall and springy.

50mm probably isn't unreasonable then. It's odd that there's no noise when you spin the front wheel off the ground (I assume you've done that since you say the bearings are fine). So maybe something is rubbing only when there's weight on the bike? Also are you certain it isn't keys on your keyring bouncing around? Not much else to go wrong up front really.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Slavvy posted:

50mm probably isn't unreasonable then. It's odd that there's no noise when you spin the front wheel off the ground (I assume you've done that since you say the bearings are fine). So maybe something is rubbing only when there's weight on the bike? Also are you certain it isn't keys on your keyring bouncing around? Not much else to go wrong up front really.

I mean, it sounds to me like the sound comes from the front end, but then again, that's where the window of my helmet is. I had the front wheel off today and checked the bearings by hand and they turned smoothly. I don't use a keychain either. I'm running out of moving parts in general to pin it on, so I'm thinking it has to be the final drive. You're right though, 50 mm is a lot of slack, even if it's within spec, and there's a couple places I can think to check tomorrow to see if it's rubbing on anything.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Have you tried putting it on the center stand with the bike running and in gear?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Is that not a spectacularly bad idea? It sounds like a recipe for a hilarious disaster.

(Bear in mind I know next to gently caress all about performing bike maintenance!)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Is that not a spectacularly bad idea? It sounds like a recipe for a hilarious disaster.

(Bear in mind I know next to gently caress all about performing bike maintenance!)

Sitting on the center stand in running isn't an issue - the rear wheel isn't touching the ground so the bike won't go anywhere. Just don't play with the chain or anything...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pham Nuwen posted:

How do you guys get an engine looking nice and clean/shiny? My 79 Honda isn't filthy, but it's a little rough and a little dirty. I guess WD-40 should help get random oil off, but what about getting some nice looking cooling fins? Wire brush?

I use a wheel brush with plastic bristles, bottle cleaner, soapy carwash water, and/or simple green to tidy up my engine. It's a tedious hand wash and I usually puncture or scratch my hand on something pointy but it gets the job done. The bike looks OK dirty though, so this is like a 1 or 2 per year sort of chore just to make it so I don't hate working on it.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Hey, just fuelled up there and the bike wouldn't unlock, so gave the key a thump and it finally turned. After that, steering was sluggish like it was partially locked (would still turn the whole way, but the bike was wobbling like gently caress if I made minor course corrections), I've locked and unlocked it and it's slightly less sluggish but you can still feel it. Should I unscrew the lock and pop it in again? e: Possible other cause is that I had a tank bag that I yanked the strap of round the steering column taut before I set off again, but I wobbled over to the side of the road and undid it and the steering was still acting up. Can't think of any hydraulics that I possibly pinched that would affect steering, other than the front brake but I think that would have been more noticeable given it's got a warped rotor that I haven't replaced yet.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 14, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sounds like the parking lock pin is stuck. Do you see scraping on the side of the headstock?

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Ok, I replaced the roller and tightened up the chain and it fixed the dumb chattering squeakiness. The chain was rubbing on the plastic cover of the countershaft sprocket when the bike was under load. The label on the swingarm says to allow 40-50mm of chain deflection, which is what I was within. The manual, however, says 35-45mm, so I took it to 35 and that seems to be the difference.

It's quite obvious now that I looked in the right place. :ms:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Legerdemain posted:

Ok, I replaced the roller and tightened up the chain and it fixed the dumb chattering squeakiness. The chain was rubbing on the plastic cover of the countershaft sprocket when the bike was under load. The label on the swingarm says to allow 40-50mm of chain deflection, which is what I was within. The manual, however, says 35-45mm, so I took it to 35 and that seems to be the difference.

It's quite obvious now that I looked in the right place. :ms:

The swing-arm labels are often full of poo poo; frequently the tyre pressures they recommend are either slightly too low or hilariously high, too.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
Going for a look at a 2001 929 Fireblade this weekend, anyone have any experience with these bikes? Any specific problems I should look out for?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
They're sexy and fast and will give you fewer problems than a woman of the same description. What more do you need to know?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

jujube posted:

Going for a look at a 2001 929 Fireblade this weekend, anyone have any experience with these bikes? Any specific problems I should look out for?

The typical honda r/r issues. Otherwise they're awesome, rock solid bikes.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

Can you give me a quick rundown on the typical issues? Visordown.com has an article on the 929 but I'd like more info

edit: Also, pretty much any forum on the Fireblade is complete poo poo :/

jujube fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 14, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I found the main R1 forum, its pretty awful too, makes even the KTM UK forum look reasonable.

Wet Nitrous installation guides and animated asses/tits :woop:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

jujube posted:

Can you give me a quick rundown on the typical issues? Visordown.com has an article on the 929 but I'd like more info

edit: Also, pretty much any forum on the Fireblade is complete poo poo :/

Odds of a somewhat noisy timing chain are common - due to shoddy tensioners. Probably nothing to worry about. 929s are cool bikes.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

Odds of a somewhat noisy timing chain are common - due to shoddy tensioners. Probably nothing to worry about. 929s are cool bikes.

I think he wanted more info on the "typical Honda R/R" issues. If not, please tell me more anyway.

I replaced my old Suzuki rec and reg with a newer Honda R/R (from an '09 CBR IIRC) based on a lot of material suggesting that R/R offered a big improvement over Suzuki's old and retarded charging systems. Both could be true, as even with "typical issues" the Honda R/R could still vastly improve charging over the old-Suzuki set-up (seriously, the GS stock charging system in the 70's sucks donkey dick).

So what's up?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
All older motorcycle r/rs are poo poo and often placed on the bike where they don't get adequate cooling. certain hondas were notorious for r/r failures.
if and when it goes just replace it with a modern MOSFET based one. I think yamaha were the first to change over as all the old threads talk about swapping in an R1 r/r, but there are lots of sites selling them now
http://motoelectrixcom.myshopify.com/products/shindengen-mosfet-fh012aa-regulator-rectifier-kit

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm pretty sure on my old '01 F4i it was tucked up inside the tail plastic which was a bitch to get on. I can't imagine it was getting any kind of airflow in there. It never took a poo poo on me but I could see it ending badly.

buttscratch fever
Feb 6, 2013

by T. Mascis
So our next door neighbours moved and sold us their 1974 BMW R60/6 for $1.

This isn't the exact bike, but it's the same bike so here have a picture of this bike.

They said that it ran just fine the last time they started it... In 2000. Are there general rules for what I should do/have done to this bike before I bother trying to start it if it hasn't been ridden in like 10ish years?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Has anyone put an airhorn on a naked bike? I'm not sure where to put it on a FZ6 so it won't look huge and out of place. I think I might be stuck with that tho.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

nsaP posted:

Has anyone put an airhorn on a naked bike? I'm not sure where to put it on a FZ6 so it won't look huge and out of place. I think I might be stuck with that tho.

saddlebags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRYm_peqGA

xd fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 14, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

buttscratch fever posted:

This isn't the exact bike, but it's the same bike so here have a picture of this bike.

They said that it ran just fine the last time they started it... In 2000. Are there general rules for what I should do/have done to this bike before I bother trying to start it if it hasn't been ridden in like 10ish years?

Any gas on the tank should probably go. New battery. When you add new fuel, put some Seafoam in and hope your carbs aren't all gunky.

You know, it's such a hassle, you should probably just give it to me and save the trouble.

You lucky bastard :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

My wife has a fuckoff loud airhorn stuffed under the tank on her R1150R. Not sure what the FZ6's under-tank situation looks like though.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

buttscratch fever posted:

Nice bike!

The minimum
The battery will undoubtedly be hosed.
So will the tyres (they will have hardened up, even if they have plenty of tread).
If they weren't drained before it stopped moving the carbs will need stripping and cleaning and you definitely want to get any gas out of the tank and throw some seafoam (or redex) in the first tank of fresh fuel.
Change the oil and filter.

Other things
Check the valve clearances (super easy on a boxer!)
EDIT: probably want to check the spark plugs too, again, super easy.
Brake pads/fluid/ almost definitely, even if they "work". Brake lines maybe too.
Cracked/hardened carb boots and other rubber stuff like fuel lines etc.
Check the condition of the control cables, clutch especially.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 15, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

My wife has a fuckoff loud airhorn stuffed under the tank on her R1150R. Not sure what the FZ6's under-tank situation looks like though.

Airbox and battery.

I might be able to work it on the old horn mount, but it's huge underneath the headlight.

Other option is hanging it off the side where the old fairing mount was, but that would be even worse I think. It'd be like a big ugly mole.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Just had my first putter around a parking lot on my friend's bike. It was awesome, but I think I'm having a problem overcoming the "oh duck it's gonna fall over, lean the other way! Oh gently caress it's turning, it's gonna fall, LEAN THE OTHER WAY why is it turning again ahhhh" thing. Heh. Basically how do I get over the feeling that the bike is going to topple over at any given second?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

spixxor posted:

Basically how do I get over the feeling that the bike is going to topple over at any given second?

Squeeze the tank with your knees and/or go faster.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

spixxor posted:

Basically how do I get over the feeling that the bike is going to topple over at any given second?

Go Faster. Lean over. Believe. - The answer to pretty much any riding issue ever.

Don't try to steer directly with the handlebars, you should be countersteering, look it up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spixxor posted:

Just had my first putter around a parking lot on my friend's bike. It was awesome, but I think I'm having a problem overcoming the "oh duck it's gonna fall over, lean the other way! Oh gently caress it's turning, it's gonna fall, LEAN THE OTHER WAY why is it turning again ahhhh" thing. Heh. Basically how do I get over the feeling that the bike is going to topple over at any given second?

More throttle. The faster you go, the more the bike wants to go in a straight line and stay upright (to a point). Get confident riding around the parking lot at about 20mph, then work on low-speed maneuvers afterwards.

Also, it sounds like you're trying to muscle it around by leaning your weight or something. This is a failing proposition on a motorcycle, which (hopefully) outweighs you by at least a hundred pounds. Controlling a motorcycle is a lot more like riding a horse than a bicycle, in that you can't easily "steer" it -- you sort of gently indicate where you want to go and the bike goes there itself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Keep calm and throttle on.

buttscratch fever
Feb 6, 2013

by T. Mascis

ReelBigLizard posted:

Nice bike!

The minimum
The battery will undoubtedly be hosed.
So will the tyres (they will have hardened up, even if they have plenty of tread).
If they weren't drained before it stopped moving the carbs will need stripping and cleaning and you definitely want to get any gas out of the tank and throw some seafoam (or redex) in the first tank of fresh fuel.
Change the oil and filter.

Other things
Check the valve clearances (super easy on a boxer!)
EDIT: probably want to check the spark plugs too, again, super easy.
Brake pads/fluid/ almost definitely, even if they "work". Brake lines maybe too.
Cracked/hardened carb boots and other rubber stuff like fuel lines etc.
Check the condition of the control cables, clutch especially.

Thanks very much!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

spixxor posted:

Take the MSF basic rider course and practice on their bikes instead of one you're worried about messing up

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP posted:

Airbox and battery.

I might be able to work it on the old horn mount, but it's huge underneath the headlight.

Other option is hanging it off the side where the old fairing mount was, but that would be even worse I think. It'd be like a big ugly mole.

I set the horn up like this and got it working, but I found out it hits the fender when the suspension bottoms. I knew it'd be close, so I'm going to have to find a way to bend it up or something I could here it barely tapping when I'd hit the brakes hard so I wasn't too worried, but when I went into my driveway it kind of dips down then back up and when the suspension bottomed out it smacked hard, so meh.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

spixxor posted:

Riding a bike slow is one of the hardest things to do. Some tips:

- MSF or local equivalent. No, seriously, do it.
- always keep the drivetrain under tension. Use a bit a rear brake if you must.
- LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Looking at the ground in front of you means you're instable. Looking at your handlebars? Same. If you want to go around a corner, crane your head like an owl until it hurts. Then turn some more.
- Balancing at low speed is an act between your throttle, clutch, brakes, body position and steering input. All of them affect balance, so they are all an option to keep it. Try to keep input to a minimum.
- Learn steady throttle, especially when turning. It is harder than you think but will help immensely with the former tip.
- You've done the MSF, right?

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

Is a faulty r/r checkable on a bike without taking it apart? It pretty much handles the charging of the battery right?

My checklists as of now consists of:

- Does it keep going in a straight when the handlebars are released (crooked frame/forks);
- Shutter/stuttering when braking (warped discs);
- Grooves in brakediscs;
- Pulls cleanly troughout the rev range;
- Damage on the frame (crash);
- Sprockets and chain (pointy teeth/shape on the sprockets);
- Should not make any sounds on idle when the clutch is pulled in (camchain tensioner?).

There's another thing to check for play in steering bearings but I have no idea to check that without putting the bike on some sort of stand. Also read alot of stuff about false neutrals which was supposed to be specific for the 929. Are there any other used bike buying tricks you guys know of?

Apologies for the Dunglish.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

False neutrals are more of a user thing than a machine, most new bikes (80s forward) you shouldn't really get them unless you stuff up (e.g. forget to go up that little bit higher from 1st to 2nd and get it in Neutral D: ).

Check the forks aren't leaking as well before you pick it up. Oil above the seals.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

jujube posted:

Is a faulty r/r checkable on a bike without taking it apart? It pretty much handles the charging of the battery right?

Yeah, just start it up and measure the battery voltage while varying revs.
I think the ideal voltage lies somewhere around 14-15V and if it doesn't maintain a relatively constant voltage regardless of revs then there is likely a problem with the regulator.

As for sounds, that's harder to tell sometimes. My ZZR250 had a knocking sound at idle that was apparently normal and 675s apparently all sound like ticking time bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys! Yes, I am absolutely planning on taking the MSF, I'm just trying to toodle around and get some of the basics down in the meantime. I love that the solution to so many things on a bike is "more throttle!" hahaha.