Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

Mailbox isn't updating for me today. Wonder if its server woes on their end. Doesn't their server play middle-man or something?

Load up the app and pull down. For a little bit mine said something along the lines of "There are network issues, try again soon."

It's working now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forgive me if there's an iPad specific app thread, didn't see one on my iPhone Awful App, but I had to tell you guys about the bossest iPad app I've ever seen.

123D Creature. (Autodesk)

It starts you off with a skeleton that looks a little like a stick figure or a voodoo doll. What you can then do to manipulate it, sculpt it, texture and paint it, then take a snapshot with rendered lighting is nothing short of insanity.

Full disclosure, I'm not that creative, I have ZERO 3D or AutoCAD experience, and I just laid in my bed on my iPad while my wife slept and made THIS...

...In under 2 hours.

The kicker? I can order a 3D Printed figurine (fully painted) sent directly to me for a reasonable amount of money!!!

The app is a steal at $1.99.

I'm in love!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh I didn't know they made other 123D apps. I had Sculpt from a while back, looks like there's three others along with that and Creature.

I made this MODOK monstrosity way back:

...probably in under 15 minutes, if that :v:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The new Downcast update pretties it up somewhat and I've been happy with it
for a few weeks. Think I might have finally stopped switching between podcast apps.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The new Downcast update pretties it up somewhat and I've been happy with it
for a few weeks. Think I might have finally stopped switching between podcast apps.

The bigger deal to me is that they now support simultaneous downloads. The updated look is nice though.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Sieg posted:

The bigger deal to me is that they now support simultaneous downloads. The updated look is nice though.

Oh drat I just realized that since I've been helping test a beta version I didn't know that there was an official update.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Kickstarter now has an app and it seems pretty drat good.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Sorry if this has been addressed, but is there any security reason to be concerned about Mailbox? I'm close to entry, but I'm a little unsure about handing over the keys to my gmail kingdom to some pumped up startup.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Kickstarter now has an app and it seems pretty drat good.

They actually let you pledge for a project through the app, using Amazon payments. I'm amazed Apple actually allowed that to happen. Don't they usually shut down any app that allows payment processing outside of their 30% cut?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PFlats posted:

They actually let you pledge for a project through the app, using Amazon payments. I'm amazed Apple actually allowed that to happen. Don't they usually shut down any app that allows payment processing outside of their 30% cut?

I think it depends on whether the payment is for "intrinsic" content or not. Buying a level within a game falls within that category. However, something like Square - processing payments for physical goods is outside of that remit. Some things are a bit dodgier - say, kindle books, as they fall within both camps... but kickstarter is clearly non-intrinsic.

That said, if I were them, I would have consulted like hell with Apple before building the app to make sure it would be permitted.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's basically only in-app content that you need to use Apple's in-app purchasing for. That's why Amazon can sell physical goods through their apps, but not Kindle books or mp3s.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Mailbox hasn't revolutionized my inbox in any way, but I find myself using it a lot. I'm going to have to find another countdown or take-a-number app once it finally gets to zero.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mailbox would be my full-time email client if not for the delay from open to inbox. I migrated my folders to lists very easily, but the delay is extremely annoying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ickna posted:

Mailbox hasn't revolutionized my inbox in any way, but I find myself using it a lot. I'm going to have to find another countdown or take-a-number app once it finally gets to zero.

Download Tempo!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lexicon posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but is there any security reason to be concerned about Mailbox? I'm close to entry, but I'm a little unsure about handing over the keys to my gmail kingdom to some pumped up startup.

If you use gmail in general 2 step verification is something to really consider using. It can be a pain in the rear end, but it really is nice from a security standpoint.

My app question: I am looking for a note taking app that I can password lock within the app, that syncs to the cloud and that works on both iPhone and iPad. Not a big fan of Evernote. Any other recommendations?

Edit: trying catch for now, lets see how I like that.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 15, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If you use gmail in general 2 step verification is something to really consider using. It can be a pain in the rear end, but it really is nice from a security standpoint.

My app question: I am looking for a note taking app that I can password lock within the app, that syncs to the cloud and that works on both iPhone and iPad. Not a big fan of Evernote. Any other recommendations?

Yeah, I've used it since the beginning. That definitely helps assuage some concerns.

I guess it's just the fact that even with a 2-step password, they have the ability to download 8 years of my life. I'm probably being paranoid - I just don't necessarily like handing out that ability to anyone.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

ZetsurinPower posted:

Well Dropbox bought Audiogalaxy and shut the whole service down on Jan 31 so now they have ruined the best app on my phone.

How do you guys like SubSonic? Are there any other apps that work like Audiogalaxy/Subsonic that you can recommend? I like being able to stream directly from my home PC, iTunes is for suckers.

I can't be the only one who used Audiogalaxy right?

Looks like StreamToMe might be a good option, and it does video.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 15, 2013

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Duckman2008 posted:

Day One lets you lock the app if that's what you're looking for. It's more of a diary but it synchs to iOS and OSX devices pretty well.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
Quick question, my google-fu seems to be failing me:

If I install an app that's free temporarily, will it stay in my iTunes account forever, so that I can install it for free on future devices, as well?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

busfahrer posted:

Quick question, my google-fu seems to be failing me:

If I install an app that's free temporarily, will it stay in my iTunes account forever, so that I can install it for free on future devices, as well?

Yes, once you "own" it on your account, it's free forever.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

xzzy posted:

Yes, once you "own" it on your account, it's free forever.

Great, I can see this leading to some very obsessive hoarding of apps that I will never ever even start.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, it should be added that if the app is ever removed from the app store, you won't be able to download it anymore. But if you download the app via iTunes and save it on your desktop, it's yours as long as you want.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

busfahrer posted:

Great, I can see this leading to some very obsessive hoarding of apps that I will never ever even start.

Yep. I have a fuckton of apps that I downloaded because they were free for a day but didn't really install on my phone. I think I own almost every paid photography app out there thanks to this.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
poo poo is like hoarders digital edition. Once your purchases tab gets so full of complete garbage you never had any intention of using but got "just in case" that it stutters to open sucks to actually use for its intended function because you can't find anything we should send a crew out to your home to document the struggles.

It's good enough TV for A&E. Worse case TLC will put just about anything on the air.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

busfahrer posted:

FYI, once an app is in your account the free/$$$ button changes to "install" so you know you're good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Loving the new update for the Rdio app, they have addressed pretty much all of the complaints I had with it when I started the service 6-7 months ago. Each revision they make it look nicer AND add functionality, which is a double bonus.

Great streaming service (spotify is not an option for me because :canada:)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

poo poo is like hoarders digital edition. Once your purchases tab gets so full of complete garbage you never had any intention of using but got "just in case" that it stutters to open sucks to actually use for its intended function because you can't find anything we should send a crew out to your home to document the struggles.

It's good enough TV for A&E. Worse case TLC will put just about anything on the air.
"He started with an 8GB iPhone. Now he has a 64GB iPhone, 128GB iPad, and can't afford rent."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

benisntfunny posted:

In case you didn't know, you can use the Hide Purchases function in (computer) iTunes to remove stuff from your Purchased/Music/Apps/etc. lists.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any solid alternatives to the stock iTunes Remote app? I've been using it a lot lately but find it to be really clunky and poorly designed UI-wise (particularly on my iPad).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm looking for a recommended app that will do the following:

1) Snap a photo of a plant
2) Identify the plant

This is for an invasive growth removal project.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'm looking for a recommended app that will do the following:

1) Snap a photo of a plant
2) Identify the plant

This is for an invasive growth removal project.

http://leafsnap.com

You need to snap photos of the leaves of the plant, but assuming you can do that, this should help.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In case you didn't know, you can use the Hide Purchases function in (computer) iTunes to remove stuff from your Purchased/Music/Apps/etc. lists.

Since I never use my computer to manage stuff I did not realize this. Thank goodness. Now I can go purchase every single free app on the appstore without fear.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Apparently you can do it from an iOS device, too. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Just curious: what is the purpose of archiving? I'm a big gmail user - I have *tons* of emails from almost a decade at this point and multiple accounts all getting sucked into it... but I don't archive. I just mark things in the inbox as "read" whether they are important or not, and like you, rely on search to recall old threads. What does archiving bring to the table?

The main reason I hate mailbox now is that it forces you to work this way. The badge icon for mailbox displays all your mail in your inbox, not just the unread so you get a badge icon that notes 20k unread emails no matter what. There's an option to make it show "1" for any unread emails but that seems like a useless hack.

Mailbox is pushing the whole "inbox zero" thing hard and if that's not how you handle mail then it's got nothing to offer over the regular mail client (except waiting for it to open your inbox).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

echobucket posted:

http://leafsnap.com

You need to snap photos of the leaves of the plant, but assuming you can do that, this should help.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll give it a shot this afternoon. I hope that the northeast US focus of the plant life doesn't make the app useless, though. Alternatively, I hope all the invasive growth I'm trying to remove originated in the northeastern portion of the US!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ZetsurinPower posted:

I can't be the only one who used Audiogalaxy right?

Looks like StreamToMe might be a good option, and it does video.

I loved AG. I tried StreamToMe to replace it first, thought it was okay but really hated the UI.

I'm using SubSonic with the SubStream app right now and I like it a lot more, the only thing I'm annoyed by is that the default iPod controls (i.e. when you're listeneing to music and want to go to the next song via the lock screen) don't work for the SubStream app I'm using. There are a bunch more paid apps, I'm just using the free one so maybe the other apps integrate with those controls.

You can try SubSonic free though so try it and if you don't like it move on.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Apparently you can do it from an iOS device, too. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919

Note that this doesn't work on an iPod Touch 4 (not sure about the 5). There is no Purchases button on the bottom nav bar. Going to Updates > Purchases will show your items, but swiping left or right does nothing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm growing less pleased with Mailbox. There are sections of time (intermittently) when the badge updates but I am not notified I've gotten an email. No sound, no lock screen info, no notification center entry.

I mean, that's not gonna stand. If not fixed soon I'm just going back to gmail and forgetting Mailbox ever existed...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What an embarrassing rollout. Should have gotten real servers and charged 99cents instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I've pretty much lost interest at this point. Uninstalled it a couple of days ago. I was still number 200,450 or something like that.

• Locked thread