Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
This morning's segment of Gary's Love Tape is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. It's a hour of pure Gary ball-busting.
I didn't catch the beginning of it, but I know it takes place in the late 90's. What exactly was the context of the tape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

MoreMetalBrian posted:

This morning's segment of Gary's Love Tape is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. It's a hour of pure Gary ball-busting.
I didn't catch the beginning of it, but I know it takes place in the late 90's. What exactly was the context of the tape?

His girlfriend dumped him, he created a video begging her to take him back.
20 years later her husband finds the tape, is a fan of the show.
Hilarity ensues.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

The Gary Tape, or The Babapology as it's sometimes referred to, was one of the greatest moments in the show's history. Around the same time that Vinnie revealed that he had made video tapes for his wife (which is a whole other story) Gary revealed that in the late 80s he broke up with his girlfriend to play the field. After several months, he regretted it, but his ex had already moved on to a new man. So, in order to win her back he made a video tape of him laying out his hilarious case for getting back together. This revelation immediately lead to a bidding war as Howard, Fred, Robin and the fans pledged money to Gary if he would let the tape be played on the air. I think he eventually ended up getting paid $20k, which he has said in retrospect is not nearly enough given how much mileage they've gotten out of it over the years.

The tape is the origin of a lot of Booey memes, like rating things a "noine" and what's referred to as "Booey Math". ("I lost a lover and a friend. You got a lover and a friend. I got a lover, but I didn't get a friend.")

ETA: Here's the Marksfriggin recap, check out Thursday and Friday - http://www.marksfriggin.com/news99/6-14-99.htm I didn't remember that the woman in question was Nancy, so I guess the tape worked?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He discusses the tape in his book and the book is worth it for that.

Brocktoon: Mary is his wife. The tape didn't work. He was already married to her before the tape surfaced on the Stern Show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brocktoon posted:

The tape is the origin of a lot of Booey memes, like rating things a "noine" and what's referred to as "Booey Math". ("I lost a lover and a friend. You got a lover and a friend. I got a lover, but I didn't get a friend.")

I think the original quote is something like "You got a lover and a friend. I got a bunch of lovers--I got a lover, but I didn't get a friend."

Because she's going to really want you back when you take time in your apology to brag about how many chicks you've bagged since she left. :rolleye:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Here's the entire transcript. Sorry for the wall of text.

Hello, hello, guess who? Umm, I think you’re a little surprised by this, and you’ll have to excuse me because I lost my voice on Friday. It is Tuesday at 12:28 in the afternoon, and I came home from work early because I wasn’t feeling that good. I wanted to get this out to you. First of all, as you might have noticed I bought a new video camera, and I wanted to try it out. So that is what this is all about. I have had a lot of things I wanted to say to you, which I think I should be saying in person, but getting an audience with you seems to be dicult. I could have wrote this to you in a letter, but these are things I don’t want to say to you over the telephone because I think you need to hear my voice and you need to see me to understand some of these things. This may get a little bit boring because when you don’t have someone to talk to you kind of have to do it all by yourself, which is why I am sending you this videotape. But, hey, guess what? You haven’t seen me in seven months, and this is what I look like now. I’ve got my Atlantic Records T-shirt, my hair is a lot longer, but I just came in out of the rain. I took some notes down. I had a lot of things I wanted to say, and like I said when you don’t have someone to talk to on the telephone to remind you stu, so don’t think I am cheating, but I had a lot of things I wanted to say and wanted to get them all in. Let’s start with the thing that prompted this whole thing. Last Friday night I felt like the biggest idiot in the history of the world and I was pretty hurt. I was pretty hurt. I’m sure that wasn’t your intention. If you don’t know what I’m talking about let me tell you what I am talking about. I came home from the city and Frank drove me over to his house and he told me to sit in the car while you were upstairs. And I felt like a schmuck, Nance. I felt like a real dick. Frank was like, “I will drop you o at Vinny’s because Nancy really doesn’t want to see you, and Maryanne said it’s not a good idea if I bring you back here. She really doesn’t want to see you.” We’re civilized here, don’t you think? What is this all about? It kind of hurt a lot. You know I told Frank the whole way there how I missed you and spoke to you early in the week. There have been a lot of opportunities where I could have seen you and set something up and I didn’t. I respect your wishes that you don’t want to see me. And I haven’t been doing it, and this was one of those purely coincidental things and I would have been nice to you. I would have said hello. So I gotta tell you I was really hurt by that. But in a way it makes me feel good because it tells me something: If you didn’t still care about me you’d see me, and I think you still do care about me. You care about me a lot. And I was telling Frank how the last seven months have been and how I knew I was wrong, and I started to tell him a lot of things and he said, “Do you think she knows that?” and I said, “Yeah, I think she knows it.” And he said, “Are you sure she knows it?” And I said, “I don’t know.” So I am going to try and put them down on videotape for you. These are forever, man. You’ll always have these to hold against me one way or the other. Let me start out, I feel like I’m asking your father for permission to marry you. I want to lay out my intentions. I want to lay out what I want, what I want from you. Obviously, I want to go back out with you again, that goes without saying, but I want more than that. The rst thing that I want is I want a commitment. I want to give a commitment and I want to get a commitment. I want to be your boyfriend and I want you to be my girlfriend. I would dump everyone I was going out with in a second if it meant you’d be back with me. And it would be just me and you. I want to be clear. I want to do things for you. I know I was kind of insensitive before, and ah, there is not much I can do about it. I can say I’m sorry, but I am not going to sit here and make excuses. What’s done is done. I can’t change what’s behind me; there are a lot of excuses why I acted that way, but there are no reasons and that is behind me. I want to do a lot of the things we said we were going to do but never got to do. I wrote so much stu down, a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was afraid of commitment. I know you think I was insensitive. I was afraid that anything I did for you, any kind of love I showed you or any kind of stu like that, would lead you more down the way that I didn’t feel at the time. Let me try to explain. Let’s say I gave you roses for no reason at all. I felt in my mind how could I do that if I didn’t love her because in your mind you were going to think that I did. But I’m romantic. A lot of people nd that hard to believe. I could be if I was up for a commitment, but I wasn’t at that time so that’s that. The other part of the intention here is that I’ve been saying I’m a marriage martyr for a long time. And I am not asking you to marry me on videotape and certainly not tomorrow, either, but I would like to think if we got back together and became a couple again and it was working, somewhere o in the distance would be the possibility of mmmmmmm. I’m trying to make light of a serious subject. I don’t want to be running around anymore. I do want to get married, and yeah, I could see myself marrying you, especially if you were interested in marrying me back. I have something like that in mind, and I am not just bullshitting. I miss you. I miss you. I miss you. I am not even trying to hide that. None of my other relationships have worked because of you. I am not even trying to hide that. I miss you, man, don’t know how else to say it. I lost my lover and I lost my best friend. And you lost your lover and you lost your best friend. You gained a lover and a best friend: I gained a couple lovers, I mean one lover, but I gained no friends. There is no one there to come home to call or tell all the great stu. Right now I feel like my professional life is at a nine and my personal life is at a two. Now I feel great about the way work is going and the curse with that is that I have no one to share it with. That sucks. I can tell you that going back out with me would solve a lot of problems. Because your friends are my friends and mine are yours, and I have to sometimes feel uncomfortable around my friends when it comes to you and it sometimes feels weird. I don’t know if you are happy where you are right now. I mean I hear stu through the grapevine. I gotta tell you the people I hear from think that you are happy and that you are content, but they don’t know if you are really, really happy. And I think I can make you that happy. I thought you and I were really happy when we were happy. I want to do all the things we said we were going to do and never did like going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Philharmonic. Things that I promised we would do and never did because I was afraid of the c- word, the commitment word. Here’s my nal statement. I know that sending you this tape is very unfair. I realize that. But I don’t give a poo poo because all is fair in love and war. I’m playing a little dirty and quite frankly I am trying to get any edge I can to get you to listen to me. If you want me to leave you alone, I’ll leave you alone. I’ll stop with the phone calls. I’ll stop sending you T-shirts in the mail and, you know, this videotape. I’ll put it all to an end. But I am not going to let you o the hook that easy if you want me gone. I want to take about ten minutes of your time. If you want me gone you have to tell me face-to-face: you have to look me in the eyes and tell me you don’t care about me anymore. I think you owe that to me. Well quite frankly you don’t owe me anything, but for the time we spent together I think you do owe me that and if you could do that you would really make me believe it. I don’t know if you can do that. I am trying to gure out if I made some sense. I am in a very confused state. I miss you. I not only miss the things we did I miss the poo poo that we should have been doing and never got to do. I just want to be part of your life again, and I want you to be part of my life again. And, um, you know, I don’t know what else to say. Think about it please. I am not begging now. I am not the begging type, but I am close to begging as I can get. I really want you to think about this whole tape, and the great thing about videotape is you can rewind it and watch it all over again, make sure you didn’t miss any important parts. I think we could be good together. Please think about it. Thanks.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

You REALLY have to see the video to appreciate that tape fully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTjKqB08EM8

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

He discusses the tape in his book and the book is worth it for that.

Brocktoon: Mary is his wife. The tape didn't work. He was already married to her before the tape surfaced on the Stern Show.

Why did I think his wife's name was Nancy?

And how could I have forgotten the biggest Booey meme that came from the tape? "Hello, hello!"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

He got back together with the girl for a little while after the tape thing, didn't he? So in that sense it worked.

Also Jackie's wife was Nancy, perhaps that's why you thought that.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

Here's the entire transcript. Sorry for the wall of text.
Hello, hello, guess who?

I answer most of my phone calls this way.

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
Nancy is Jackies ex wife, probably explains it.

The first viewing of the tape is relentless. Ralph kinda messed up the second viewing, but the first one when they have three random fans that bust on Gary just as hard as the rest of the crew is classic

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

And just for comparison, here is Vinnie Favale's incredibly disturbing tape that he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaNHbJpIAK0

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The greatest prank phone call in the history of the Stern show - and maybe all time - is the I See OJ call. Nothing else even comes close.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I'm scratching my balls, I said that I wouldn't. But I gives my fingers something to do, and if you were here you would benefit from that...oh so much....

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

kylej posted:

The greatest prank phone call in the history of the Stern show - and maybe all time - is the I See OJ call. Nothing else even comes close.

Agreed. The fact that I got to watch it live on TV just cements that fact for me.

There was such cheering in my house that night; we all knew what the score was from the very first "now lookie here..."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kylej posted:

I have always loved "I am an Earl and an O.B.E.; that makes me an earlobe."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCB0ABQfwEY

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Brocktoon posted:

I'm scratching my balls, I said that I wouldn't. But I gives my fingers something to do, and if you were here you would benefit from that...oh so much....

The fact that Vinnie thought there was nothing wrong with this and even thought it was endearing tells you what kind of person Vinnie is. Also, that he willingly gave the tapes away without charging for them like Gary is astounding.

Also, the Vinnie Song Parody Contest was great. I wish there was some more Vinnie goofing sometimes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

musclecoder posted:

The fact that Vinnie thought there was nothing wrong with this and even thought it was endearing tells you what kind of person Vinnie is. Also, that he willingly gave the tapes away without charging for them like Gary is astounding.

There were more tapes he never gave up, because he was embarrassed by them. They must have been glorious. :argh:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I can't believe a bunch of fans paid up to $10 grand just to come and hang out and watch that "hello hello" video, that just seems insane to me.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

I can't believe a bunch of fans paid up to $10 grand just to come and hang out and watch that "hello hello" video, that just seems insane to me.

They spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if that check was real too. Nobody had absolutely any idea what it was supposed to look like.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

an adult beverage posted:

There are apparently a lot of stockbrokers with money and time to spare for all kinds of ridiculous poo poo. They would essentially give Stuttering John free money to be his friend and to try to get at Howard.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

haljordan posted:

They spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if that check was real too. Nobody had absolutely any idea what it was supposed to look like.

That whole show is great. There is a part where they spend 15 minutes busing KC's balls because he cant count. I think it might be before the second viewing and people are coming in paying cash and KC cant add up the money.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

God drat, the show used to be so good... :smith:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

That whole show is great. There is a part where they spend 15 minutes busing KC's balls because he cant count. I think it might be before the second viewing and people are coming in paying cash and KC cant add up the money.

Yeah there's a great shot of KC with a bunch of cash stacked up on the desk, furrowing his brow in a vain attempt to comprehend math.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

The years where KC and Jackie overlapped were beautiful. :allears:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

The years where KC and Jackie overlapped were beautiful. :allears:

Yeah, but the KC Artie years were good, too.

Edit:
I kind of miss Gump. Didn't they track him down in recent years?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, but the KC Artie years were good, too

I don't know that it was Artie's fault, but during the Jackie years they laughed at KC. Partway through the Artie years, Artie was more concerned for/worried about KC, and it just wasn't fun. :(

Here's some KC. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYXTW1nK9Ac

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh my god that dumb southern caller that Artie stayed on the phone with for like 15 minutes (midway through hour 2 from Tuesday's show) was a million times funnier than the entire hour of Dice Clay before it.

Tho I'll admit I've never seen any of Dice Clay's comedy, only his interviews where he comes off to me as an unfunny, bitter prick.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

beep by grandpa posted:

Tho I'll admit I've never seen any of Dice Clay's comedy, only his interviews where he comes off to me as an unfunny, bitter prick.

You have pretty much seen his comedy then.

He was most famous for saying dirty nursery rhymes and going OHHHHHHHHH!

It was a terrible time for comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMb7wLrqsw

The last 20 years haven't been kind to anyone in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvQ8ahTnq8

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 14, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dice's reality show from a few years back is a great watch if you want to point and laugh at the guy. Too bad there's only seven episodes. I could watch Dice eat poo poo at tiny comedy clubs for no money all day long.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The sports radio station (97.5 Philly) is playing Captain Janks prank call saying Ronnie the Limo Driver is shooting out with Dorner. Are they ripping off Howard? Or is Janks peddling his crap everywhere?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

FogHelmut posted:

The sports radio station (97.5 Philly) is playing Captain Janks prank call saying Ronnie the Limo Driver is shooting out with Dorner. Are they ripping off Howard? Or is Janks peddling his crap everywhere?

Well they played it on Bubba yesterday as well.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

FogHelmut posted:

My dad listens to a morning drive time show called Armstrong and Getty and they were playing it too. I guess one of the hosts credited Howard and said "You know, we should be doing this kind of stuff too be we're just lazy."

It was weird telling my dad who Ronnie the Limo Driver is as far as the Stern show goes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FogHelmut posted:

If the prank call went out over TV or radio, anybody can tape it and play it, so it's not a ripoff in legal terms.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

One of my co-workers mentioned they played it on Lex & Terry. They made a comment how they did that stuff too and did it before Stern. Typical radio DJ warfare type poo poo.

On a side note that show sucks and I feel sorry for anyone who only have that show to listen to on their morning drive.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Joe Don Baker posted:

One of my co-workers mentioned they played it on Lex & Terry. They made a comment how they did that stuff too and did it before Stern. Typical radio DJ warfare type poo poo.

On a side note that show sucks and I feel sorry for anyone who only have that show to listen to on their morning drive.

Hah, those guys are still around? They used to be (our could still be) here in Dallas, and god were they awful. They apparently had huge radio DJ beef with Bubba but then made up, so who knows.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I am not sure where their home is now. I haven't listened at all in a few years. I just remember boring conversations, z-list celeb interviews, unfunny bits, and live 'man on the street' bits that fell flat.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Joe Don Baker posted:

On a side note that show sucks and I feel sorry for anyone who only have that show to listen to on their morning drive

Still (sadly) the best thing on radio imo. The Artie show is growing on me, though. He's getting more comfortable doing his thing and tells long form stories more often.

You can tell he misses Sirius whenever he has to break.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Holy Calamity! posted:

Still (sadly) the best thing on radio imo. The Artie show is growing on me, though. He's getting more comfortable doing his thing and tells long form stories more often.

You can tell he misses Sirius whenever he has to break.

He constantly goes too long, then has like a 15 second segment before returning to commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Apropos of nothing, really: I love Richard Christy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCFpCr-6Bqo

(I just got off the phone with my dad, and he wound up with "I'll talk to ya later", just like Richard's dad. (Oklahoma and Kansas are next to each other.))