Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

That's awesome dude, enjoy it :)

I've spent the night going HOLY poo poo THE AUTOFOCUS WILL ACTUALLY TRACK MY FISH WOW

P1010164.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Is it me, or is the Sony E-mount 35mm f/1.8 super slow to market? It's practically non-existent in Canada.

Got mine open-box off Yahoo Auctions in Japan for ~$375 :smugdog:

Dkennedys8
May 16, 2005
Don't read this!

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to get the grip still. :buddy:

This camera is pretty much exactly what I wanted, I'm loving it so far.

The grip is great. Love, love, love that it can be used in two parts. If you don't want the extra height of the battery & extra controls portion, but want the handle part you can do that. The OM-D has really made me re-love my Olympus gear, was very very close to jumping ship.

Here is are two shots with my OM-D, the 45mm F/1.8 and two FL-36r's. Love the camera.

Stu and Ivy by _jaw-sh, on Flickr

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have the GF5 and while I like it a lot, the dorky 14-42 is to big for carrying around in a pocket.

The 20mm 1.7 is about £200 on ebay
The 14mm 2.5 is about £100 - but potentially, I could buy a GF3 twin lens kit from someone, keep the 14mm and resell the remaining bits.

Is the 14mm worth it...or would I always be lusting after the 20mm?

No alternatives?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I have the GF5 and while I like it a lot, the dorky 14-42 is to big for carrying around in a pocket.

The 14mm 2.5 is about £100 - but potentially, I could buy a GF3 twin lens kit from someone, keep the 14mm and resell the remaining bits.

No alternatives?

I've been thrilled with my 20mm f/1.7. The only mild annoyance is the focus can be a little slow, although that might be more that my 45mm f/1.8 is fast as hell.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

I've been thrilled with my 20mm f/1.7. The only mild annoyance is the focus can be a little slow, although that might be more that my 45mm f/1.8 is fast as hell.

That's the 20mm that is $348 on Amazon.com or £317 ($491) on Amazon.co.uk?

Man, gently caress this international pricing bullshit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

That's the 20mm that is $348 on Amazon.com or £317 ($491) on Amazon.co.uk?

Man, gently caress this international pricing bullshit.

The same. And yeah, that's an incredible ripoff. :stare:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Is the sigma 19mm cheap over there? It's actually a pretty good performer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Startyde posted:

The Sigma 19mm + 30mm for $199 was such an insane deal for the quality.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Startyde posted:

That's about £100 ($155)

I am a big fan of Sigma, but it doesn't seem much smaller than the 14-42mm and only marginally faster.

Size is the principle requirement here - I want to carry it with a suit without a bulge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

That's about £100 ($155)

I am a big fan of Sigma, but it doesn't seem much smaller than the 14-42mm and only marginally faster.

Size is the principle requirement here - I want to carry it with a suit without a bulge.

If you want absolute smallest size, there's always the body cap lens. Runs $50 here in the states.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

If you want absolute smallest size, there's always the body cap lens. Runs $50 here in the states.

That looks it could be a fun buy...except it is $100 in the UK and that makes it a bit pricey.

When they sell camera equipment here, they should include a couple of sachets of lube for the buyers.

The 14mm seems to get 'meh' reviews. Maybe If I can split an ebay twin set I can get it for a price that matches the quality.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spog posted:

No alternatives?

14 and 20 is a fair bit of difference in focal length for m4/3. That said they're both equally good but if I had to pick one, it would be the 20/1.7 cos it's sharp as hell and fast aperture. The alternative is the pricey 17/1.8 which doesn't beat the 20/1.7.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spog posted:

That looks it could be a fun buy...except it is $100 in the UK and that makes it a bit pricey.

When they sell camera equipment here, they should include a couple of sachets of lube for the buyers.

The 14mm seems to get 'meh' reviews. Maybe If I can split an ebay twin set I can get it for a price that matches the quality.

The 14 is pretty meh; competent and sharp enough but no personality. I'd sell you mine for 120 quid or so, but not sure what shipping would run from Sweden to the UK.

The 20 is awesome though.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't there a 17/2.8?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Beastruction posted:

Isn't there a 17/2.8?

We don't talk about that lens. That lens has an alternative lifestyle, and is not welcome in the First Baptist church on main street.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Ugh, got a sticky aperture on my X100.

Sent it in for repairs and the reply I got was

quote:

We are sorry that we can no longer offer a repair service for your particular model.

However you can still upgrade your old camera to a brand new replacement from our current range.

:(

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Greyish Orange posted:

Ugh, got a sticky aperture on my X100.

Sent it in for repairs and the reply I got was

:(

Wow, that really sucks - what were the first two digits of your serial and how old was it? Still under factory warranty?

e: Also, does this mean that X100 owners are out of luck if anything ever needs fixing?

rio fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 15, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That kind of poo poo support would cause me to boycott a company.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

bobfather posted:

That kind of poo poo support would cause me to boycott a company.

Yeah that makes me second guess if I want to buy an X100s from them, even if its the best camera- I don't want to enable a company with such poo poo support. The product is like 2 years old.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That was a huge consideration of buying an X100 last week - I looked very hard for a late serial number and one that was not that old. To essentially be told "buy another of our cameras" seems like it must be some kind of communication error because that is a ridiculous response. They were also supposedly really good about support issues, so to turn around into something so awful so suddenly is really odd.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The X100s isn't even out yet either!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Yeah, it's one thing to end free warranty repair, but quite another to end paid repair entirely. Even cell phones get better repair service than that, and they are actually meant to be thrown away after two years.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The X100 is still being sold new. I have a hard time believing that this reply is from Fujifilm. Maybe some 3rd party warranty/repair service?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

The X100 is still being sold new. I have a hard time believing that this reply is from Fujifilm. Maybe some 3rd party warranty/repair service?

Good point. Do you have a grey market camera?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

I'm just getting more confused, maybe it is being fixed?

The email says one thing and the web page says another.

EDIT - All saved!

Thank you for your email.

Sorry for the mix up in emails. We can confirm that your camera has been repaired free of charge, we have replaced the lens. This will be returned to you within the next 2-3 working days.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Greyish Orange fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 15, 2013

mes
Apr 28, 2006

:v:

Well that's good news. Out of curiosity, was your camera out of the 1 year warranty?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
So it was a language translation error and they probably meant you're not covered for free repair under warranty service or something- that's good. I can still support the company making cameras I'm interested in.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mest0r posted:

Well that's good news. Out of curiosity, was your camera out of the 1 year warranty?

I heard that Fuji was fixing all cameras with the sticky aperture problem despite when it was purchased. I myself am on my third X100, I had two in my first week (the first one had a dead pixel, the second was an older serial whose motor was making a weird noise). Third one I've had since and taken thousands of pictures with.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Mest0r posted:

Yes, the camera was out of the 1 year warranty. I was expecting to pay to have it repaired, so it has all worked out fine I guess.

Just made me sad when I got the first email, since I love the X100.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Just found this interesting setup.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151161313861511.429942.694456510&type=1

It's pretty neat and I kind of want to try it on my NEX-5. It's probably not a serious substitute for a more versatile pancake lens like the upcoming 20mm f/2.8 pancake. However since the lens and adapter combination is only about $75 and the 20mm is going to cost $350, it could still be a fun toy.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That link is not working for me; what is it?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

That link is not working for me; what is it?

The olympus 15mm f8 body cap lens adapated to a NEX.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
drat, the Sony 35mm f/1.8 is sharp, whenever my OG NEX-3's AF feels like hitting, that is (not awful, but not amazing). Looking forward to grabbing an NEX-7 or its successor in the next few months and seeing how that helps.

Torn because the IS really helps, but I miss the wider length of the 42mm f/1.2 I used to use. 50mm equivalent is kind of tight for a lot of venues/events.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

What are people recommendations for long lenses for MFT? The panasonic 100-300 seems good, but 70-300 + the 4/3-mft adapter is about the same price too. Or I could just get a Nikon 300/4.5 and adapt that for very little (autofocus would be nice though).

Having a 1200mm equivelent lens can be interesting though.

P2160732.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the NEX-5N use the same menu system as the NEX-5?

Like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d56Kj1m5s0

I'm considering the NEX-5N and an M39 adapter since it has a ballin' focus peaking mode, is really cheap on Craigslist these days, and the image quality seems to be either equal to or better than my Nikon D200. Not to mention the ISO is far superior.

e: Actually I see that it's touchscreen. Is the touchscreen interface optional? I loathe touchscreen interfaces for most things :(

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The touchscreen helps with manual focus, just touch the spot where you want and it magnifies in. Very convenient to check precisely. You can turn it off.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Does the NEX-5N use the same menu system as the NEX-5?

Like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d56Kj1m5s0

I'm considering the NEX-5N and an M39 adapter since it has a ballin' focus peaking mode, is really cheap on Craigslist these days, and the image quality seems to be either equal to or better than my Nikon D200. Not to mention the ISO is far superior.

e: Actually I see that it's touchscreen. Is the touchscreen interface optional? I loathe touchscreen interfaces for most things :(

The touchscreen makes a lot of that bulkiness shown in the video go away. Touching to zoom to review rather than the scroll wheel is really nice. Honestly the way it is integrated is really useful - I particularly like it for spot focusing.

Regarding the menu, generally I have it on aperture priority or manual so that throws out that clunky virtual dial and like everything else that they guy was clunking about with I have hot keyed or shortcutted. I think after having had the camera for around a year an a half now I could tell you exactly where everything is and so long as it is not in the general settings menu (which is god awfully long) everything is easy to get to.

One last thing - I got the EVF a couple months ago and it is really really nice for manual focusing. Hardly ever miss focus with it and also rarely have to zoom in to check focus. Nice to have the flexibility to take it off as well if I want to just pocket the camera in a jacket too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

I'm debating either waiting for the X100 to drop in price a little on craigslist once the new one hits, or picking up a NEX-5N for current cheap prices with an M39 adapter to use my cheap soviet lenses. I'm not actually going for quality here so I realize that the Sony lenses would probably be a better overall solution for what it's worth :)

Of course, my other option is to do nothing and wait for both cameras to drop in value. I'm perfectly happy with just film right now, but there's something to be said for just popping a card out and processing in Lightroom too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
As long as you don't need flash, the 5n is pretty good. If you want to do off camera flash, or studio flash or anything else- it's got that crappy sony hotshoe thing on it. Overall, I like the 5n, it's a lot of fun- the only real downsides are the hotshoe and lack of pancakey good lenses to take advantage of the size- but since you're just adapting, it's awesome.