Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Waffleopolis posted:

New Club Nintendo games are up, and it's good!

Paper Mario for Wii for 200 coins
Birds and Beans for 3DS for 100 coins
Kirby Superstar for Wii for 150 coins

I might pick up Kirby Superstar. :)
Is Birds and Beans any good? I was thinking it was shovelware going by the title, but upon further research, it seems like a pretty decent arcadey downloadable game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Obeast posted:

Is Birds and Beans any good? I was thinking it was shovelware going by the title, but upon further research, it seems like a pretty decent arcadey downloadable game.

Pyoro and Pyoro 2 are fun as hell, great pick up and play games. I recommend it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

absolutely anything posted:

Pyoro and Pyoro 2 are fun as hell, great pick up and play games. I recommend it.

Seconding, but if you already have WarioWare as an ambassador game then both of them are unlockable in that. On the other hand it takes for-loving-ever to unlock Pyoro 2 so it's probably worth it to get Birds and Beans.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Does anyone have any idea why the Club Nintendo page for AU is so abysmal compared to the US one? The AU one has almost nothing you can buy with the Stars you get with games - http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=en_AU

That's the whole catalogue. Seriously, wtf. Is it possible to use the US Club Nintendo site? Does anyone have experience doing something similar?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

New Club Nintendo games are up, and it's good!

Paper Mario for Wii for 200 coins
Birds and Beans for 3DS for 100 coins
Kirby Superstar for Wii for 150 coins

I might pick up Kirby Superstar. :)

I haven't played any of the Paper Mario games, but by skimming some Nintendo threads over the last few months I have the impression that the Wii one is terrible and the Gamecube one is great. How does this one compare to those? Worth buying?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

loudog999 posted:

I haven't played any of the Paper Mario games, but by skimming some Nintendo threads over the last few months I have the impression that the Wii one is terrible and the Gamecube one is great. How does this one compare to those? Worth buying?

The original Paper Mario is much more similar to its GameCube sequel (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door) than its successors past that. It was one of the N64's masterpieces, but then pretty much all the Mario RPGs are made of gold.

(Incidentally, I actually liked Super Paper Mario (the one on the Wii), but :can:)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

loudog999 posted:

It's not quite as good as its sequel on the Gamecube, but it's still a great game with plenty of of content.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and spent the 200 coins to get it. I will finally get my first dose of Paper Mario. I have a copy of the Gamecube game cause I have heard so many good things about it, but have long since lost my Gamecube controllers so I couldn't play it on my Wii. I know that sounds awful but I have moved a lot in the last few years and some things just mysteriously get left behind.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

Discount Viscount posted:

Seconding, but if you already have WarioWare as an ambassador game then both of them are unlockable in that. On the other hand it takes for-loving-ever to unlock Pyoro 2 so it's probably worth it to get Birds and Beans.
Awesome! As someone who enjoys the WarioWare series and doesn't have an Ambassador 3DS, I'm gonna try to remember pick this up before they switch the games out. Thanks! :)

Laser Spider posted:

(Incidentally, I actually liked Super Paper Mario (the one on the Wii), but :can:)
I thought SPM was a good game for what it was. I do kinda wish the RPG elements weren't as light as they were and the game overall could've been a little more difficult, but I thought most of the stuff it did well outshined it's flaws. But, I haven't played it in a couple years, so maybe I'm just remembering most/all the good stuff about it. :shobon:

If they ever did another actual Mario RPG, I would kill to have either a true sequel to the first SMRPG, or a sidestory game about what Luigi was doing during SMRPG since we never got to see him (he was in the game's manual, but it would be nice to see him go on a little adventure). Bonus points if they make it look similar the original game.

[/derail]

Edit: Metal Torrent for the 3DS is also one of the Club Nintendo awards for 150 coins.

Edit 2: Birds and Beans is fun and :3: as gently caress, but it gets pretty tough pretty fast, which is okay by me since it's supposed to be like an old arcade game. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 12, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

iajanus posted:

Does anyone have any idea why the Club Nintendo page for AU is so abysmal compared to the US one? The AU one has almost nothing you can buy with the Stars you get with games - http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=en_AU

That's the whole catalogue. Seriously, wtf. Is it possible to use the US Club Nintendo site? Does anyone have experience doing something similar?

Yeah the Europe Club Nintendo has the same problem. I have around 7000 stars but there's nothing good to buy. For 7000 I could get a neat figurine with Mario characters on it, but when you realise that you get 250 stars per game, that's a total ripoff.

http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?p=1

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 12, 2013

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
If you're interested at all in Paper Mario I heavily suggest playing the original (N64) before the sequel (GC). I played the sequel first, and the original is a big step back. I still liked it, but if I'd played it first I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How long do the club Nintendo games stay up for? I'm 30 coins short of Paper Mario right now.

Also am I understanding correctly-- VC games purchases on a Wii U in Wii mode won't give me any coins? I'm trying to come up with the best way to scrape up 30 coins here.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Minidust posted:

How long do the club Nintendo games stay up for? I'm 30 coins short of Paper Mario right now.

Also am I understanding correctly-- VC games purchases on a Wii U in Wii mode won't give me any coins? I'm trying to come up with the best way to scrape up 30 coins here.

About a month, if I recall correctly.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I read in one of the 3DS threads that it's possible to make your 3DS think that you're in Delaware to avoid state sales tax for stuff you buy on the eshop. How do you go about doing this?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I read in one of the 3DS threads that it's possible to make your 3DS think that you're in Delaware to avoid state sales tax for stuff you buy on the eshop. How do you go about doing this?
Go into the system settings, Other Settings, Profile, Region Settings, choose United States as your country, and Delaware as your state.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Obeast posted:

Go into the system settings, Other Settings, Profile, Region Settings, choose United States as your country, and Delaware as your state.

That simple? Wow. Thanks a bunch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 14):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii Street U - free
    Tank! Tank! Tank! - free
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Tank! Tank! Tank! DLC
  • VERSUS / Industrial Complex - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Ruins - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Coastal Area - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Canyon - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Volcanic Area - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Lunar Base - €1.99 / £1.59
  • MY KONG - €1.99 / £1.59 until 28th February, €9.99 / £7.99 after that date
  • MONSTER BATTLE / Ruins - €3.99 / £3.19
  • MONSTER BATTLE / Industrial Complex - €3.99 / £3.19
  • STORY MISSION - €9.99 / £7.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Shifting World - €99.99 / £17.99
    Mahjong 3D - Warriors of the Emperor - €99.99 / £17.99
3DS eSHOP
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS Retail Download) - 25% off until February 21
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until February 21
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until March 7
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30, available until February 21

Yes, Nintendo is doing a digital sale for a first-party retail game! Whaddya know, they like money!

Wii Street U is an unholy fusion of Google Streetview and the Wii U Gamepad that's... kinda neat? It's free (for the moment, anyway) so whatever.

Here's the deal with Tank!: you get three multiplayer modes and one multiplayer stage for free, but you can only play three times a day. All the other modes/stages are paid DLC; buy 'em once, play 'em (and the free stages) forever. You could probably find it in bargain bins for less than it'd cost to buy all the DLC, but that'd involve going outside.

(Sorry, NA. Press release isn't up yet, I'll get to it in the morning. tldr: Wii Street U/Tank! for Wii U, Trine 2 and Bit Trip Saga on sale)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Shifting World - €99.99 / £17.99

A-are you sure about that.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
OoT for 20 quid? :getin:

Ah, wait a minute..do you get Club Nintendo Stars when you buy a game digitally? Probably not, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dunban posted:

Ah, wait a minute..do you get Club Nintendo Stars when you buy a game digitally? Probably not, right?

If your 3DS eShop is connected to your club nintendo account, which it should be.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If your 3DS eShop is connected to your club nintendo account, which it should be.

Excellent, it is indeed. Thanks a lot.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

How is Dillon's Rolling Western? I was digging through all the Nintendo-published games on the eShop two days ago and found it, and was intrigued by both the gameplay concept (a 3D beat 'em up crossed with tower defense) and the fact that it was apparently a completely new Nintendo IP. Even though I'd never heard of the game before then, it was apparently good enough to warrant the sequel that was announced today, so there must be something to it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So did the 3DS get anything this week other then a promo video?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Dunban posted:

I know it's a first party game and all, but Zelda has been less than 30€ in retail for a while now, at least it keeps going on sale in places I see. Shame they couldn't make it a proper offer and slash it by 50% or more, expecially considering that it's only digital.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Laser Spider posted:

How is Dillon's Rolling Western? I was digging through all the Nintendo-published games on the eShop two days ago and found it, and was intrigued by both the gameplay concept (a 3D beat 'em up crossed with tower defense) and the fact that it was apparently a completely new Nintendo IP. Even though I'd never heard of the game before then, it was apparently good enough to warrant the sequel that was announced today, so there must be something to it.

You know, I thought it was pretty alright. I don't like Tower Defense games AT ALL, but that one was a lot of fun. I hit a brick wall with that game in terms of difficulty on one of the later missions, though, so I kind of dropped it after that. Still more fun than most of the crap you could buy for a dollar on the iPhone/Android marketplaces.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 14):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii U Street powered by Google - free
    Tank! Tank! Tank! - free
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Tank! Tank! Tank! DLC
  • VERSUS / Industrial Complex - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Ruins - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Coastal Area - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Canyon - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Volcanic Area - €1.99 / £1.59
  • VERSUS / Lunar Base - €1.99 / £1.59
  • MY KONG - €1.99 / £1.59 until 28th February, €9.99 / £7.99 after that date
  • MONSTER BATTLE / Ruins - €3.99 / £3.19
  • MONSTER BATTLE / Industrial Complex - €3.99 / £3.19
  • STORY MISSION - €9.99 / £7.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Shifting World - €19.99 / £17.99
    Mahjong 3D - Warriors of the Emperor - €99.99 / £17.99
3DS eSHOP
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS Retail Download) - €29.99 / £19.99 until February 21
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until February 21

NA update (week of February 14):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii U Street powered by Google - free
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    World Heroes 2 Jet (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rabbids Travel in Time 3D - $29.99
    Petz Fantasy 3D - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Naruto Powerful Shippunden (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dig Dug (NES) - $3.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Champions of Yore #3 (Micaiah, difficulty **) - $2.50
  • Golden Gaffe (gold-grinding map) - $2.50
  • Golden Pack (contains Golden Gaffe, EXPonential Growth and Infinite Regalia) - $6.00
DSiWARE
    Moke Moke - 200 Points / $1.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    BIT.TRIP.SAGA (3DS Retail Download) - 33% off until March 7
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until February 28

BIT.TRIP.SAGA for $10 is a good deal, and it's the first of several 3DS eShop sales lined up for the coming weeks. Next week - Crashmo!

Also worth noting that Dig Dug is the first 3DS NES game to not be priced at $4.99.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 15, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Kinda odd that NES Dig Dug would be a buck cheaper. I seem to recall the Wii Virtual Console version being 100 points more due to it being an import (strangely, while Dig Dug was on the Famicom, that version wasn't released in the states, whereas Dig Dug II was).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Forgot to mention the Fire Emblem DLC - there's Champions of Yore #3 (the Micaiah map), a map designed solely for grinding gold, and another bundle that includes the gold-grinding map, an EXP-grinding map and a divine weapons map that also includes Eltsham from FE4. (The final two maps aren't playable just yet, even if you buy the bundle.)

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Anyone happen to know which PAL region generally has the cheapest prices on the 3DS store after conversion? I think I did some tests a while back and it seemed like the euro was the best way to go from New Zealand, but it varied from game to game. I guess it'd vary between countries as well.

Edit: Never mind, pounds is cheaper by a long shot. I don't lose anything by skimming between regions like this, right? Except any cash/points I leave on that region.

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 15, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Anyone happen to know which PAL region generally has the cheapest prices on the 3DS store after conversion? I think I did some tests a while back and it seemed like the euro was the best way to go from New Zealand, but it varied from game to game. I guess it'd vary between countries as well.

Edit: Never mind, pounds is cheaper by a long shot. I don't lose anything by skimming between regions like this, right? Except any cash/points I leave on that region.

Always Pounds, and I'm starting to wonder if I can set my region to UK after the fact, even though I've already bought some things with my region (properly) set to Germany. Knowing Nintendo, I probably can't even change it anymore.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've bought things on three different stores (AU, UK and Spain) and it hasn't penalised me in any way.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Always Pounds, and I'm starting to wonder if I can set my region to UK after the fact, even though I've already bought some things with my region (properly) set to Germany. Knowing Nintendo, I probably can't even change it anymore.

This will vary with currency apparently. The prices tend to convert to a higher value for me in GBP over Euro into Australian dollars. It's only slight but euro tends to be cheaper. Euro < Pounds <<<< AUD

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Ubisoft are discounting all their Wii U digital retail titles by 30% until the 26th. Discounted prices are as follows:

Zombi U - $41.99
Assassin's Creed 3 - $41.99
Just Dance 4 - $34.99
Rabbids Land - $34.99
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 - $34.99
ESPN Sports Connection - $34.99

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
So reports are that it's going to be the 60hz version of F-Zero that hits PAL Wii U Virtual Console this month. I really didn't expect anything but it looks like the complaining might have paid off?

Here's hoping this becomes standard in the future of the service.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Now we just need to convince them to use a better scaling algorithm than a simple bilinear filter (shhhh, let me imagine a world where people notice these things).

EDIT: They did this! F-Zero has a much more pixel-friendly scaling method. Yaaaaay!

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 21):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (demo)
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    NightSky - €9.99 / £8.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until February 28
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until March 21

F-Zero is out now - yes, it's 60HZ and the filter is nicer. Good on 'em for listening, I suppose.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Not up in Australia as of yet though, frustratingly.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
My Cicle Pad Pro LL came today, just in time for the Monster Hunter demo! It has what looks like a code for the Japanese Club Nintendo, so anybody that can use this, have at it:

SPRA EPKA C1TZ 0YBS G4JP

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 21):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    NightSky - €9.99 / £8.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until February 28
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until March 21

NA update (week of February 21):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
WII U eSHOP
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (demo)
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (February 26) - $39.99
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Picdun 2: Witch's Curse - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Yoshi (NES) - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Lost Bloodlines #1 (Leif, difficulty **) - $3.00
  • EXPonential Growth (EXP-grinding map) - $2.50
  • Lost Bloodlines Pack (contains Lost Bloodlines #1, #2 (Alm) and #3 (Seliph)) - $6.00
DSiWARE
    Viking Invasion 2 - Tower Defense - 800 Points / $7.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Ubisoft Wii U eShop Sale - 30% off all retail downloads until February 26
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • ESPN Sports Connection
  • Just Dance 4
  • Rabbids Land
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • ZombiU
    Crashmo (3DS eShop) - 33% off until February 28
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until February 28
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until March 21

Also worth noting: Japan got the Zelda Oracle games on the 3DS VC today; apparently Aonuma's written something about the impending NA/PAL release on Miiverse, but I don't have a Wii U so I can't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I do wonder what Ubisofts reason for not having their rushed 30% promotion in the EU is.