Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I stopped watching it because they were basically looking for reasons to justify putting dogs down on some episodes. "This dog has scars it was clearly a fighting dog so it has to die!" kind of stuff. Though this was either Detroit or Houston back in 2004 (when I stopped watching) so it's entirely possible it changed. Just put the poor dogs down, don't try to justify it you assholes.

I can't watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeBHwRbXB0 (the iams irish wolfhound commercial) without getting terrible allergies, then getting all scowly because they're feeding the dog off the floor. The whiplash from emotional to sperg is pretty severe.

From what I can tell they stopped making some of those shows, potentially because of the bad response they got to their procedures? All the ones we get here are at least 5 years old. Some of them were okay like the AC workers in Miami driving pitbulls to the next county so they could be adopted, and the ones where they released the dogs to rescue so they could have proper behavioural work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I sort of enjoyed the show where biker dudes would show up and get all threatening to owners of chained up dogs, but then by the end of the show they'd have figured out that the owner was just too broke/sick/elderly to build a fence/doghouse and they'd go out there and do it themselves. :3: IIRC they also had a whole episode where they were chasing chickens around in the street.

At least it was usually happier than Animal Cops, etc. without being so annoying and overdramatic like Pit Boss or that parolee lady.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
That show was awesome, it was called Rescue Ink. There was one where this guy has his pit bull locked in the basement all the time with dog crap everywhere, and by the end of the show he'd had it fixed, it had a bed in the house and a collar and he walked it every day. Dude clearly loved his dog but didn't know how to take care of it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I accidentally set the smoke alarm off last night (it apparently thinks the house is burning down if I put the oven above 400) and Frankie panicked so bad he threw up. I briefly yelled at him because I was really busy and trying to do a million things and suddenly I had dog vomit to clean up. Now I feel bad. :saddowns:

To be fair, Moses didn't scream like a baby and throw up. He wanted to climb my partner/the chair she was standing on to reach it to get the thing that was making all that noise. :colbert:

KioskNinja
Dec 26, 2005
Better than winning a Gold Medal at the Special Olympics!!
Here is my confession. While I verbally agree with my husband that our two dogs are awesome when he ask me I am a liar. I want a Treeing Walker Coonhound again so bad that I cannot stand it. I grew up with Walkers and ran around in the woods with them as a kid and I love those braying, hard headed dogs so much. Both of our dogs are adopted mixed breeds and while I feel great for adopting them and giving them good homes and they are the sweetest dogs with my 3 1/2 year old and very good boys they are NOT my beloved Walkers and I feel kind of bad for hating them just a little because they are not hounds. :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sometimes when Sadie is grooming I poke or pet her in a spot she just finished with. She isn't a fan, which makes it awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StAslvlrtac
(she had just cleaned the other paw)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Sometimes when Sadie is grooming I poke or pet her in a spot she just finished with. She isn't a fan, which makes it awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StAslvlrtac
(she had just cleaned the other paw)

How To Trigger Your Cats OCD.

My mom/aunt can't stand the sound Feldman makes when he licks, it kinda sounds like shoving your fist in a bowl of pudding and twisting it around. They'll yell at me to get him to stop licking, but I'll sit there for another minute or two, just to watch them totally get grossed out. :iamafag:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bash Ironfist posted:

How To Trigger Your Cats OCD.

My mom/aunt can't stand the sound Feldman makes when he licks, it kinda sounds like shoving your fist in a bowl of pudding and twisting it around. They'll yell at me to get him to stop licking, but I'll sit there for another minute or two, just to watch them totally get grossed out. :iamafag:

Your mom and your aunt are the same person? That's pretty hosed, yo

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Superconsndar posted:

I accidentally set the smoke alarm off last night (it apparently thinks the house is burning down if I put the oven above 400)

If you figure out how to make this loving stop tell me because the one in my apartment does this too. It once went off because I used the toaster.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

From what I can tell they stopped making some of those shows, potentially because of the bad response they got to their procedures? All the ones we get here are at least 5 years old. Some of them were okay like the AC workers in Miami driving pitbulls to the next county so they could be adopted, and the ones where they released the dogs to rescue so they could have proper behavioural work.

I think shows like that are still around, but they focus more on volunteers rather than organisations. I remember watching an episode of one where a pair of volunteers met an elderly woman who had something like 15 tigers. The tigers loved her and she loved the tigers, but the cages were falling apart and she was in dire need of a hip replacement that she couldn't afford. Her house was also a complete shambles and she didn't have any family. I think it ended with a tiger rescue building a new house on their property specially for the woman so she could stay with her tigers :unsmith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kerfuffle posted:

If you figure out how to make this loving stop tell me because the one in my apartment does this too. It once went off because I used the toaster.

Ask your apartment management to replace the detector due to nuisance alarms. The sensitivity is clearly all jacked up on it and they would much rather replace it with a good one vs have you disconnect it out of frustration. If possible ask them to install a photoelectric type detector which are much less prone to false alarms from cooking.

The ones in my apartment like to go off when I'm baking or pan frying, but they have a button to quickly silence them. The real problem is the vent hood is of the "recirculating" type that just blows the air right back into the apartment. Whatever dumbass thought that design was a grand idea needs to be flogged.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Confession: we had to return our Bengal Keke to the rescue. We had her for two years, and I guess you could say it was a long-term foster situation, but my mom fell in love with her. A total antisocial cat who was food aggressive, who you couldn't touch or pick up, who had had no socialization with ANY people the first six months of her life that weren't vet techs or people poking her with needles. In a word, she was feral. You couldn't even pet her. And I tell you, inspecting her for ear mites, treating her for ear mites...my coworkers thought I was doing drugs or sharpening razors on my arms.

So a problem cat. And she got along great with the other cats...somewhat. She became a bully for a while, even against larger cats, and finally seemed to settle in. And that's when we made the mistake and my mom brought home the last rescue, another Bengal.

Apparently two Bengals don't like living together, even in a large house. The new Bengal, Goldie, is half of Keke's size and weight...and somehow took over her status on the totem pole. She is the opposite of food aggressive, but the second she saw Keke, would tear around the house chasing her. The other cats watched. Funny in a way, because when other cats get into scuffles, one of the older ones will usually step in and stop the fight. Either Keke got on the poo poo list of every cat with her previous actions or they were all too terrified of this four pound Bengal to step in.

We tried every product on the market, separated the two, kept Goldie locked in half the house, then a quarter of the house...nothing. Keke was super stressed, got aggressive, even attacked us. We worked with the rescue for months, and they finally said it was down to returning Keke, or returning the other cats that were picking on her...in short, Keke needed to be an only cat for someone who didn't mind a cat they couldn't touch.

So she went back on Saturday.

Bye, Keke. We tried. We did. But you just aren't a cat most people can have. A highly active, prone to jumping up on things, cat you can't touch. Oh. And making GBS threads on the floor right in front of your owner when owner doesn't give you something you want.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Rixatrix posted:

I make sure my dogs behave when I come in the door. With guests, I don't care. If they allow the dogs to jump on them that's their business.

That's not so much an animal sin as "don't be surprised when someone kicks your dog."

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Saint Darwin posted:

That's not so much an animal sin as "don't be surprised when someone kicks your dog."

I've a friend with an unruly god and it makes me laugh how much they try to keep him from jumping on me. I'm not gonna put up with that poo poo and will knock him down with my hands. I know he thinks it's a game, and he's smart enough he could be much better trained, but he's such a doofus I love indulging him.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

I've a friend with an unruly god and it makes me laugh how much they try to keep him from jumping on me. I'm not gonna put up with that poo poo and will knock him down with my hands. I know he thinks it's a game, and he's smart enough he could be much better trained, but he's such a doofus I love indulging him.

Oh, as a game that's one thing. My friend's ex had a dog which was absolutely untrained and would jump on people to BITE them. She thought it was ~hilarious~ but if you slapped the dog back (like my friend would) she would FLIP THE gently caress OUT for you daring to hit the dog or even make a hitting motion at the untrained animal trying to bite you.

It only actually got me once and that was on my ankle, I never hit it because I have a really hard time being OK with that, but people will defend themselves from animals trying to inflict harm. I should have just gone to the doctor and then called animal control. gently caress that dog.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

GabrielAisling posted:

Was it Thor? Or Aries? Don't leave us hanging man, tell us which God it was! Parvati? Shiva? Set?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I just gave Ed her favorite treat: Fluff.
Now she's walking around with a sticky, white beard.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I give my dog Goldfish crackers as treats sometimes. If you so much as crinkle the bag he comes running at full speed only to sit at your feet and make noises like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1Q-WxudFA

I'm only human, it's not fair.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Please forgive me, Pet Island.

I sometimes wish I had a dog instead of three cats.

Once when we were shopping for bird stuff for PISSmas, we saw a woman who had an employee pulling two birds out of a cage so she could buy them. There were three birds in the cage, and when I saw that there was only one left, I said "Oh, how sad, that one is all by himself now!" The woman looked at the cage and told the employee to get the other one out, too. Sorry.

Most of our stuff got stolen along with the moving truck a while back, and one of my cat's favorite sleeping spots was still on the truck. It was a ratty old office chair that was completely shredded and gross, but I never had the heart to throw it out because she loved it so much. I feel guilty that I didn't unload it right away, but I'm also kind of relieved that it's gone.

I still blame myself for the death of the first cat we adopted, 7 years ago. She was diagnosed with FIP, and not only did I not think to get a necropsy (so I still wonder if that's really what she had), but I feel like the stress of dealing with my roommate's cat is what made her get sick. I think she would still be alive and healthy if she had gone to a different home. I also still have her ashes because I don't know what to do with them.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I still have all my pet's ashes as well. I have no idea where it would be appropriate to put them because they all lived in different areas.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

Yes, many of the people I allow into my home hate my dogs and tend to get violent with them :rolleyes:

I'm not going to spend time training out behavior many of my guests actively encourage because they choose to. I've told them how to behave so my dogs behave and when they choose to ignore said advice, I stop caring. And if a guest so much as shoved a dog of mine let alone kicked it, that person would be out of my home in a second and never allowed back in.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

After she eats Delta smacks her mouth in the loudest, most irritating way. Sometimes I scold her about it and even make her leave the room.

I have issues with gross sounds ok?? Sorry Delta :(

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Rixatrix posted:

Yes, many of the people I allow into my home hate my dogs and tend to get violent with them :rolleyes:

I'm not going to spend time training out behavior many of my guests actively encourage because they choose to. I've told them how to behave so my dogs behave and when they choose to ignore said advice, I stop caring. And if a guest so much as shoved a dog of mine let alone kicked it, that person would be out of my home in a second and never allowed back in.

Preeeeeeetty sure that was a joke and that no one is gauging anyone else's skill and value as a pet owner by a post in a thread entitled "Forgive me catladies, I have sinned: PI confession thread."

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
We were at a good friend's baby shower and they had invited us and our dog. We're not the kind of people who insist on bringing our dog everywhere with us but they own his sister, the two dogs love each other and they're pretty well behaved and socialized.

We were all sitting in a circle and my dog was going from person to person getting some scratches. Another guest, a guy in his 70s, rubbed his head for a while then, right in front of my eyes and without any warning, pinched my dog's ear as hard as he could "to see what kind of dog he is". My dog yelped and ran over to hide behind me. My confession is that I didn't kick that guy in the head, I honestly didn't know what to say or do. I think I told him not to pinch my dog please.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ikantski posted:

We were at a good friend's baby shower and they had invited us and our dog. We're not the kind of people who insist on bringing our dog everywhere with us but they own his sister, the two dogs love each other and they're pretty well behaved and socialized.

We were all sitting in a circle and my dog was going from person to person getting some scratches. Another guest, a guy in his 70s, rubbed his head for a while then, right in front of my eyes and without any warning, pinched my dog's ear as hard as he could "to see what kind of dog he is". My dog yelped and ran over to hide behind me. My confession is that I didn't kick that guy in the head, I honestly didn't know what to say or do. I think I told him not to pinch my dog please.

I would have walked up, rubbed my hands, and slapped him in the face "to see what kind of guy he was".
Not really, but gently caress, seriously?
People do that?
Man.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

What does the guy do when he tries it on the kind of dog that bites the gently caress out of things that hurt it? The mind boggles.

A friend of mine was walking his BC along with my housemate's Staffie, and some dude started giving off about Staffs being vicious, etc. My friend, naturally, told him to gently caress off. So he booted the dog in the ribs! This dog is a sweetheart and idiot, he has no drive whatsoever- too polite to play tug. My friend was understandably furious, which apparently was provocation to kick the dog again in an effort to start a fight.

My friend is a 6'4" metal drummer with a short fuse on a good day. The other guy was about 20 years older and a hell of a lot smaller. He was very lucky that there was only one punch.

You have to wonder what was going on in that guy's head- so many opportunities not to have his face rearranged.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
My grandmother had this awesome Rottie when I was growing up. She was an absolute sweetheart, but she always favored one shoulder. If she was tired and you went to pet her on the shoulder, she'd growl/grumble at you.

I didn't find out until years later that one of my rear end in a top hat uncles had kicked her, because "No dog is in charge of me."

Never liked that dick.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Friends cockatiel bit me on the ear then moseyed on to the other end of the couch before flopping over dead. Bird was a dick but laughing when I heard the thunk was probably mean.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

Preeeeeeetty sure that was a joke and that no one is gauging anyone else's skill and value as a pet owner by a post in a thread entitled "Forgive me catladies, I have sinned: PI confession thread."
BUT MY DOGS :byodame:

Point taken (but I'd still punch anyone who laid a hand on MY DOGS and then ban that person from my home).

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 15, 2013

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Friends cockatiel bit me on the ear then moseyed on to the other end of the couch before flopping over dead. Bird was a dick but laughing when I heard the thunk was probably mean.
:stare: Wait, literally dead? As in, it just keeled over stone cold after biting you?

Holy poo poo, dude.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bird was old as hell, he had some kind of seizure then went stiff and flopped off the couch. I figure his biting me was the last assholish act of a bird that knew his time was up rather than me having toxic blood.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Bird was old as hell, he had some kind of seizure then went stiff and flopped off the couch. I figure his biting me was the last assholish act of a bird that knew his time was up rather than me having toxic blood.

I would have really hoped my blood was poison to birds. Birds kind of suck.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
My male black cat is incredibly dumb. He treats me as some kind of mother figure after I nursed him from a little bug sized thing. This means he howls like a miserable dog if there's a door between us. I can hear it from the garden if I go out to empty the bins.
Sometimes I get sick of it, and after a long day, I look up and I see him at the top of the stairs, howling to be let in the bedroom because he thinks I'm in there. Sometimes I just walk off and let him.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
I fat shame my girl kitty all the time. She gets called fatty cat and fatty lumps at least as often as she gets called by name.

We also pick her up and cuddle her just to hear her make complainy noises.

I think the miserable noises my cats (and former foster kittens) make during baths and nail clippings are hilarious. We used to pick up our fosters and put them on or near the sink to hear them cry about it.

Likewise, if my cats are nosing around in the shower when I need to use it, I will turn on the water. It's funny to watch them freak out and try to hide.

We kick the kitties out of our bedroom at night so they don't wake us up by biting our feet or yelling at us.

I let my boy kitty eat bread crumbs off my plate and drink almond milk from my cereal, as long as I'm finished with it. Hence, he will sit in front of me as I'm eating breakfast waiting til he can score my toast crumbs.

I kind of want my friend to bring her giant Newfoundland over just to see how the cats react.

QueenOfTheEyesores
Sep 12, 2008
My girlfriend and I occasionally put (large, stretchy) socks on our cat's heads. I have never laughed more in my life.

I also bought a cat tie (a tiny tie on a collar with a break-away clip) for christmas, and we put it on Hobbes and Bones all the time. Surprisingly they don't seem to mind it, but I still feel slightly guilty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I reversed my first attempt at cat adoption because she wasn't affectionate, scratched the gently caress out of my whenever I pet her, had the worst loving poops ever and slammed the hell out of the door. Now I'm realizing this is probably normal cat behavior and I'm just too immature to handle a pet. :downs:

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
I wouldn't call scratching the gently caress out of you every time you pet them normal cat behavior. Unless you're talking about a playful cat that is only sort of scratching you. Cats that scratch hard and actually hurt you suck to be around and I wouldn't keep one either.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
If all that is considered normal then nobody would keep cats. You got a bad match that was hardly your fault. Go meet more cats.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I reversed my first attempt at cat adoption because she wasn't affectionate, scratched the gently caress out of my whenever I pet her, had the worst loving poops ever and slammed the hell out of the door. Now I'm realizing this is probably normal cat behavior and I'm just too immature to handle a pet. :downs:

Maybe you're too immature to handle a pet, I don't know anything about you personally, but no way are cats normally like that. This one just wasn't a good fit. Go see some others if you still want a kitty, and you'll find one who works with you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, there's nothing to be ashamed of here. I don't know how anyone keeps pets that are actively aggressive toward them.

• Locked thread