Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Awesome! The 4J guys are sound, you should get on well with them.

Dundee's fine, you won't be anywhere near any of the rough bits. I'm convinced the Hilltown's the reason for the "City of Discovery" tag though, it's certainly one of the less salubrious areas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Vaguely hoping devilmouse is still awake, but anyone in here is welcome to critique.

Too sassy for an iTunes app screenshot?

EDIT: Yep, everyone's in bed. Cool. But I like 'em, folks elsewhere seem to like 'em, so away we go to app submission, woo hoo!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 13, 2013

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Vaguely hoping devilmouse is still awake, but anyone in here is welcome to critique.

Too sassy for an iTunes app screenshot?

EDIT: Yep, everyone's in bed. Cool. But I like 'em, folks elsewhere seem to like 'em, so away we go to app submission, woo hoo!

Maybe it's too late but I'll say it anyways, I like the 1st and 2nd but the 3rd just doesn't read well to me. I like the fire "sprites" but the red wall just doesn't work well as a screenshot to me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I would definitely say to avoid the third one. While the first two really show off your aesthetic well, the third one looks like you just didn't have art, when viewed in isolation. The character really gets lost in the fire, especially since the eye is expecting him to be in the same general area as he was in the first two. Though I have nothing against the text, I think that part is fine. However, I would move a bit to the left to put it more in line with the text in the other images.

If you have to choose just one, the first one is really works for me and I would pick that one

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Overall I'd say there is too much noise so the first is the best and it gets busier and busier. On the other hand, the background feels a bit empty. Like there could be a very faint hint of stars, hills or clouds.
Also, I don't know if the text is part of the game or if it was added later, but it is a bit distracting, in part because of how it is arranged in the composition and in part because it is too big.

Edit: Hm... I guess I'm late too but I'll just leave this here anyway.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Consider moving/rotating the fireman, who is in the exact same spot between #1 and #2. And I'd suggest losing the "tips fig. #" portion of the text, it doesn't add anything (unless it's just an internal placeholder in which case, nevermind).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Consider moving/rotating the fireman, who is in the exact same spot between #1 and #2. And I'd suggest losing the "tips fig. #" portion of the text, it doesn't add anything (unless it's just an internal placeholder in which case, nevermind).
It adds character. :colbert:

Anyways, yeah, sorry, too late. Got feedback from other folks, everything seemed cool, etc. They're already uploaded. Jones On Fire is now waiting for review :neckbeard:

If it's any consolation, that fire image is very back-loaded. It comes after the user has already seen Folmer's awesome 2D image and then the first 2 screenshots. Not too worried about it turning people off.

EDIT: And "empty background" is a bug/enhancement that got pushed to the first patch. I'll be adding little blocky clouds that parallax by.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 13, 2013

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Shalinor posted:

It adds character. :colbert:

Anyways, yeah, sorry, too late. Got feedback from other folks, everything seemed cool, etc. They're already uploaded. Jones On Fire is now waiting for review :neckbeard:

If it's any consolation, that fire image is very back-loaded. It comes after the user has already seen Folmer's awesome 2D image and then the first 2 screenshots. Not too worried about it turning people off.

EDIT: And "empty background" is a bug/enhancement that got pushed to the first patch. I'll be adding little blocky clouds that parallax by.

Some unsolicited art suggestions if you're open to tweaking some stuff.

Overall I really like the style you've got. I think a few color tweaks and the game itself will be a lot more readable- you could brighten the kitties and firefighter so they pop off the background a bit. Additionally, you could cool down the sky/background and push it towards blue/give it a gradient/stick some blurry stars/clouds/etc you're planning on to help fill the space with a little noise. My comp ended up a little pink by accident, and there was some stuff I wanted to mess with on the grass (maybe lightening it up a little bit, I'm not sure - something to distinguish it from the tree tops).

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
There are far better people in this thread than me to get feedback from on AppStore screen shots. I'm entirely clueless when it comes to "App Store Optimization", honestly. If you go through the top 100 or whatever and look for similarities between their screenshots, copy, icons, IAP names, keywords, etc, you can barely pull threads out.

You've gotten your crits already, but I actually like the sassy text (though I'd have changed to "Save the Kitties!" and "Fire Hates Kitties!"), especially if it tells a "story" across all 4 or 5 screenshots.

More importantly though, grats on submitting! We submitted last night as well, so now we can RACE!

Today, I get to do the "exciting" things like set up websites and fix press release copy. "Whee!"

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

Today, I get to do the "exciting" things like set up websites and fix press release copy. "Whee!"
Ditto :( I also get to put together the trailer - but that part, I'm excited about. I've got a kitty chiptunes dubstep track from my composer. It's awesome, and it lets me rip on all the lovely dubstep trailers out there at the same time, woo.

EDIT: a leak from gearbox on why Aliens turned out so bad. Nice.

EDIT2: Turns out the original images had artifacting everyone but a dude in the screenshots thread missed - and I managed to get new ones in before the window closed. Which gave me a chance to react to some of the feedback in here. No more giant fire wall, switched wording to tell kitty story, tried for less busy kitty shots, etc.

EDIT: VV Given where the cuts hit (hardware hackers and Android and such), I wonder if they finally axed their "speculative hardware" teams? The people that were working on augmented reality goggles and such. A good way to check'd be, did they let Michael Abrash go with the rest.

... if they did, I can't say I blame them - it made zero sense for a game studio turned publisher to be meandering that far afield, no matter how cool the work may have been.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 13, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Apparently it was now valve's turn to get hit with layoffs:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186592/Several_out_of_work_as_Valve_makes_large_decisions_about_its_future.php#.URve2WeKySo

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Frown Town posted:

Thanks for this post-- you've instilled me with some hope about the future.

Just like that.. http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2013/02/13/former-zynga-exec-eyes-baltimore.html

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Looks like the Steam box partner was able to do everything their internal team could. Either that of Steam has uncovered something super futuristic.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Looks like the Steam box partner was able to do everything their internal team could. Either that of Steam has uncovered something super futuristic.
They were also supposedly messing around with augmented reality and other novel control schemes too, which is incredibly risky territory.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

They were also supposedly messing around with augmented reality and other novel control schemes too, which is incredibly risky territory.
According to LinkedIn at least, Abrash still has a job. Wasn't he leading that team?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
More than the hardware team is out.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-13-valve-loses-director-of-business-other-layoffs-reported

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Diffing their employee page highlights about 8 people out:
http://www.diffchecker.com/h14Uhs74

e: oh that's where that article is sourcing the information from.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Bay Raitt and Jason Holtman are the suprising ones. What the hell happened?

EDIT: Also thats not a full listing of their employees, so its probably more than 8 canned.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Maybe they think Occulus is doing what they were already planning.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
http://meningameshotornot.tumblr.com/

;-*

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Bay Raitt and Jason Holtman are the suprising ones. What the hell happened?
It's hard to say if anything they've done hasn't been doing well since they aren't a public company and don't release statements on that sort of thing, but if I had to go out on a limb and guess anything, it's that they're going to need to make a major change of course with Steam. The PC space is slowly shrinking, it's going to face increasing competition from the Windows Store, EA dropping Steam probably cost them a lot of business, and their living room ventures are going to be launched into the middle of another console war that also has a few Kickstarter darlings and likely Apple entering it too.

Gabe's also been talking about major changes to Steam, including scrapping Greenlight.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You and I see the PC gaming scene very differently.

My educated guess is that they're refocusing and cleaning house. It's not like they have money problems.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mutata posted:

You and I see the PC gaming scene very differently.

My educated guess is that they're refocusing and cleaning house. It's not like they have money problems.

Maybe they sacked everyone who thought the PC space is shrinking and that the Windows store will be serious competition.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Valve is infamous for clearing out stuff and shifting dramatically when things don't work out in their games... So why be surprised when it comes to their business and staff?

Heck i dunno, but I am awfully curious to what the actual story ends up being.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Anyone coming to Beer Wednesday tonight, don't forget it's "Amber Appreciation Night", so bring some decorations or something to liven up the patio and show how much we appreciate the Patron Saint of Beer Night for knowing all our names and drinks by the second time she's met us.

And you might consider joining the 100% Tip Pledge some of us are doing, just for tonight. The girl's getting married soon, after all, and those aren't cheap.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Gaben directly addressed the layoffs (firings?) at Valve. He says it wasn't about cancelling any projects, which suggests that this was a performance culling.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

DancingMachine posted:

Gaben directly addressed the layoffs (firings?) at Valve. He says it wasn't about cancelling any projects, which suggests that this was a performance culling.

When you read all the emphasis Valve puts on personnel/hiring, it makes sense that they're serious about making sure they only have top notch performers.

Even just a middling employee drags everyone down.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
OK so I've got my interview tomorrow. I am pretty confident I'm going to do well.

Spent a bit of the night perhaps getting ahead of myself worrying about the cost of the move and everything should I get the job, tricky especially given I have a grand total of £40 to my name and a maxed out overdraft after the shambolic way my last job ended. My parents are offering to transport my stuff but I'm still worried about the cost of securing a room, paying rent, deposit, bills all that other necessary living poo poo which last time I did this put me permanently into my overdraft.

How do you guys manage that first month or so before your paycheque hits? Arrange a loan advance spread over several months?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was in the same situation a few months ago, luckily I was (barely) able to deal with it with savings and by living in an empty apartment until I was able to afford furniture. If I were to have another kind of move like that I would try to negotiate some sort of relocation bonus or assistance along with my contract.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

If you get offered the job, during that phonecall ask HR if they can ask around the studio if there's anybody with a room going spare for a month or two. Also ask if they have a relocation package.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Since Tuesday I've been given a design test to create a new weapon and a new level that makes use of it. So far my design doc is at 9 pages with descriptions, metrics, research and diagrams, but is there any golden standard on these things so I can stand out better?

I was also told to complete the task "As soon as you're able" and I'm not sure if submitting it tomorrow on Friday might be rushing it, or if Sunday might look a bit too late.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aliginge posted:

OK so I've got my interview tomorrow. I am pretty confident I'm going to do well.

Spent a bit of the night perhaps getting ahead of myself worrying about the cost of the move and everything should I get the job, tricky especially given I have a grand total of £40 to my name and a maxed out overdraft after the shambolic way my last job ended. My parents are offering to transport my stuff but I'm still worried about the cost of securing a room, paying rent, deposit, bills all that other necessary living poo poo which last time I did this put me permanently into my overdraft.

How do you guys manage that first month or so before your paycheque hits? Arrange a loan advance spread over several months?

I relocated for a contract, my first industry gig, and ended up taking out a credit card that I swiftly maxed out to afford the move and such. But definitely ask about relocation assistance if they offer you the gig--chances are they'll be thinking about it already.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Since Tuesday I've been given a design test to create a new weapon and a new level that makes use of it. So far my design doc is at 9 pages with descriptions, metrics, research and diagrams, but is there any golden standard on these things so I can stand out better?

I was also told to complete the task "As soon as you're able" and I'm not sure if submitting it tomorrow on Friday might be rushing it, or if Sunday might look a bit too late.

Did they give you any indication of length? 9 pages to do a weapon and level seems... excessive. One of my favorite quotes from giving a design test to someone: "One critical skill we look for in designers is the ability to communicate ideas with economy.... We encourage our designers to approach written documents with one guiding principle in mind: “nobody reads”. But it's better to be overly verbose, I suppose.

As for "as soon as you're able", a 3-4 day turnaround seems like a good timeframe to get back to someone.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

fookolt posted:

it makes sense that they're serious about making sure they only have top notch performers.
Even just a middling employee drags everyone down.

Well animationwise they fired folks that seem to be specialized and kept people on that could have wear more 'hats'. Like not just animation but rigging, camera work, layout etc.

From a game design perspective it's a good idea but from an artistic standpoint they're going to be watering down their quality. Compare the more recent Dota cinematic animations with the first Team Fortress videos. Compare the latest Team Fortress video with the first three ones. They've gotten worse.

But the real argument is who cares if the ingame is done well enough.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

FreakyZoid posted:

If you get offered the job, during that phonecall ask HR if they can ask around the studio if there's anybody with a room going spare for a month or two. Also ask if they have a relocation package.
... but when you do this, sell it from the angle of "while I'm looking for a place." If you can avoid it, don't come across as penniless - people are weird, and that may color their opinion of your abilities.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

devilmouse posted:

Did they give you any indication of length? 9 pages to do a weapon and level seems... excessive. One of my favorite quotes from giving a design test to someone: "One critical skill we look for in designers is the ability to communicate ideas with economy.... We encourage our designers to approach written documents with one guiding principle in mind: “nobody reads”. But it's better to be overly verbose, I suppose.

As for "as soon as you're able", a 3-4 day turnaround seems like a good timeframe to get back to someone.

Well I wouldn't say it's overly verbose, I've kept it pretty clean with plenty of topic headers and bullet points to pick out the most interesting bits, so I guess there isn't much more I can add to it. As for indication, it's pretty much "Format it to how you feel it best communicates the idea" including; A mission briefing, general description of the mission, rough drawing, the solution.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I had some bad opinions about game design.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 9, 2018

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
^^^ as an animator working with designers when people usually talk about metrics in the design sense it's more to do with the in-game numbers. i.e. traversal speeds, attack rates, aggro distances, etc. That's what I assumed it was referring to anyway.

i've always been surprised that there aren't more Virginia based developers. It's definitely a more friendly state as far as personal/business taxes go, and the state in general is in better shape and better schools than MD.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

treeboy posted:

i've always been surprised that there aren't more Virginia based developers. It's definitely a more friendly state as far as personal/business taxes go, and the state in general is in better shape and better schools than MD.

Can't speak for MD but generally it's because there isn't a large enough talent pool and 'tax friendly' generally means it's just a tax haven. Companies also generally pull out of tax havens when the subsidies dry up.

California has pretty high taxes in comparison yet there's companies popping up left and right due to the amount of population and talent available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

D1Sergo posted:

I'm a wannabe and not a designer but "metrics" and "research" seem like things you can cut out, to me good design is something that can stand on its own merits, not whether a feature meets some benchmark of numbers based on the percentage of people using the Beam Rifle in Halo or whatever you've got going on. A weapon that fits the level design and a level that fits the weapon design is probably ideal (like a sniper rifle in a place with long corridors).

When developers talk about design metrics they're talking about practical game values, like movement/second or cover is 1m high or doors must be 1.5m wide or the gun does 40 damage/shot with a mag of 10, etc.

I'm assuming his research is basically justifying his design by giving examples of similar proven design (like the length of corridors for Cool Sniping Level).