Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Natron posted:

No they don't. At least I don't, but I have a Galaxy S3 running the latest firmware and Google maps and it doesn't have this feature. It has street view, but you can't use it like an augmented reality window to look around and travel through environments. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, because it seemed pretty cool.

He said tablets, not phones. I'm under the impression this feature is already on tablets as well, though I'm not sure which ones. Maybe the Tab or Nexus line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It actually works on all phones and tablets. You just have to hit "menu" and choose "compass mode" when you're in street view.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

When you're in street view press the hardware "menu" button then select "compass mode." Tada!

I'm doing it now on my android phone, works a lot better than I remember.

:aaaaa:
What the gently caress? Why would they hide it like that!? That's awesome...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just for curious. How many people use WiiU TV, after playing with it initially?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

I do it with Thursday and Sunday shows, and on weekends usually check what movies are playing live to kill time. I would use it much more if could use the buttons for control and if it were compatible with my cable box dvr.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Three things need to happen to get me using it more:

-Button implementation. It's incredibly awkward that the interface is touch-only. Swiping repeatedly to get through the list of shows is absurd. Even the Gamepad's barebones built-in remote lets you use the D-pad and the A button, but the developer of TVii somehow decided it would be better to have touch zones for up/down/left/right and not use the D-Pad at all. :psyboom:
-Netflix integration
-A listing that accurately reflects the service package I get from Telus, so the program doesn't tell me that shows are on when I can't watch them.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Sad that the NSMBU DLC is single-player only. I play it exclusively with my wife so will probably not get a chance to play it if it's not co-op :(

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

bilperkins2 posted:

Sad that the NSMBU DLC is single-player only. I play it exclusively with my wife so will probably not get a chance to play it if it's not co-op :(

Oh, is it? I guess that's great for me, considering I like playing the game by myself, as sort of a "read a book before going to bed" thing.

I am pretty happy that they are releasing something like this. It's what I originally wanted with NSMB2. I don't care if each game is the same drat thing, over and over, I love me some Mario. :allears: This is perfect.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bombadilillo posted:

I have everything hooked through an AVR so I can't even really use it well in the first place, so I don't bother.

I did check out the game stats during the super bowl though which was kind of interesting, though also kind of delayed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Iwata in a Luigi hat is super adorable.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Since I got a bit miffed that Luigi could only be played by Player 2-4 in Story Mode, Luigi having a whole new set of levels all to himself makes me überhappy!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Since I got a bit miffed that Luigi could only be played by Player 2-4 in Story Mode, Luigi having a whole new set of levels all to himself makes me überhappy!

I felt the same way, except with blue Toad. I'm hoping 2014 will be the year of Toad.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Folt The Bolt posted:

Same here. I been very tempted to just do a two player game and just play as 'Player 2' just to play as Luigi instead.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

KimT posted:

I felt the same way, except with blue Toad. I'm hoping 2014 will be the year of Toad.

I really wish they could think of a 4th character instead of having 2 toads, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't had a chance to watch the video, but being absolutely single-player only sounds a little funny. Maybe they just mean that Luigi takes Mario's place as the mandatory first player?

Or maybe the new levels aren't designed to be group-friendly.

theflyingorc posted:

I really wish they could think of a 4th character instead of having 2 toads, though.

I think maybe Miyamoto doesn't like a lot of the extended Mario cast in the Kart series and such, because there's some obvious options there.

But even aside from that, for a game about getting Peach's castle back, not making Peach playable is just a weird missed opportunity.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 14, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

theflyingorc posted:

SMB2 dictates that this would be Peach.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I really like the idea of a Luigi game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Or maybe the new levels aren't designed to be group-friendly.

None of them are, that's the point. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo needs to invent a new character, or next time have Bowser steal a maguffin instead of the princess, so Peach can play.

Hell I'd even take a Pianta, or that guy with the bucket on his head from sunshine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Did any of the NSMB games include Phanto? If not, that guy should be brought back for Luigi. They should also take a cue from insane Mario World Hell levels and include some crazy, challenging stuff. Luigi is more hardcore than Mario, after all.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Terper posted:

None of them are, that's the point. :v:

Pretty much. That, and have the levels be challenging from what little footage we've seen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think maybe Miyamoto doesn't like a lot of the extended Mario cast in the Kart series and such, because there's some obvious options there.

But even aside from that, for a game about getting Peach's castle back, not making Peach playable is just a weird missed opportunity.
The problem is that they don't have any characters that are iconic, not bad guys, not modes of transportation (Yoshi), and aren't regularly kidnapped at the start of the game.

Most of the Mario cast is bad guys, actually.

edit: New 4th character: Iwata in a little suit and Luigi hat

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, New Super Mario Bros U is all kinds of sweet! Maybe it's just because I haven't played the earlier NSMB games but man, I'm loving every bit of it from everything dancing in time to the wah-wahs in the music to the delightfully old school vibe. Thanks for the recommendation, guys! I can't wait for it to be after 11 pm so I can actually download the ZombiU demo!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It was a pretty awesome Direct for the 3DS but I feel like Wii U content is still kind of.. lacking? I was really hoping for new Wii U eShop game announcements and they just talked about DLC and already-announced content for it. I don't care about Bit Trip Runner :/ I would love to see Intelligent Systems do a Crashmo/Pullmo game for Wii U. I would love to see anything at all.

The eShop's all we got in these lulls between major title releases and I feel like they're dropping the ball. The 3DS eShop has a lot of different unique digital games, with more on the way, and the Wii U looking forward has...

...a sequel to Toki Tori. oh boy. be still my heart. zzzzzzzzz

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 14, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Quest For Glory II posted:

It was a pretty awesome Direct for the 3DS but I feel like Wii U content is still kind of.. lacking?

Agreed. I'm really hoping they're holding something back... but holding it back for what?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

It was a pretty awesome Direct for the 3DS but I feel like Wii U content is still kind of.. lacking? I was really hoping for new Wii U eShop game announcements and they just talked about DLC and already-announced content for it. I don't care about Bit Trip Runner :/ I would love to see Intelligent Systems do a Crashmo/Pullmo game for Wii U. I would love to see anything at all.

Well, last month they did have a Nintendo Direct all about Wii U, so I'm not seeing any problems here. We're getting so many dynamite announcements now, I can't imagine how great E3 is going to be.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

zenintrude posted:

SMB2 dictates that this would be Peach.

They have said peach is hard because she has been show to have different abilities in other games and because her dress makes her animation something that can't just be a reskin over mario's the way toad and luigi are behind the scenes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
E3 will be terrible because like usual they'll treat it like a shareholders meeting and talk about market synergies instead of treating it like a media hype event and showcasing as many games as possible.

Maybe they'll step up though realizing they have to compete for media attention with two new consoles, but for now these monthly directs are much better than what they typically offer at e3.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They really need to get Wario and Waluigi in on it. Nobody wants to be a Toad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well, last month they did have a Nintendo Direct all about Wii U, so I'm not seeing any problems here. We're getting so many dynamite announcements now, I can't imagine how great E3 is going to be.

Uhh..."They've shown so much, they must have so much more to show" isn't something that logically follows, man.

It could go either way. They could easily have moved a whole bunch of E3 stuff UP for the Nintendo Direct, or they could be saving the best stuff. Having good stuff now doesn't indicate anything, though.

Are they doing something of a WiiU/3DS back-and-forth for these things? I've watched half of the Direct, and it seems to mostly be 3DS focused.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

We're getting so many dynamite announcements now, I can't imagine how great E3 is going to be.
I can imagine how great its going to be because I saw last year's. The answer is 'not'.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They have said peach is hard because she has been show to have different abilities in other games and because her dress makes her animation something that can't just be a reskin over mario's the way toad and luigi are behind the scenes.

Luigi and Toad have been shown with different abilities too, and here's a shocking idea: give her pants? Especially since her powers come from her floaty dress anyway. She could just be out for a jog when Bowser takes the castle, it's the 21st Century.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

E3 will be terrible because like usual they'll treat it like a shareholders meeting and talk about market synergies instead of treating it like a media hype event and showcasing as many games as possible.

Maybe they'll step up though realizing they have to compete for media attention with two new consoles, but for now these monthly directs are much better than what they typically offer at e3.

"E3 will be terrible because they will treat a trade show like a trade show."

There's a reason they tried to kill E3 a few years ago. The spectacle doesn't accomplish anything other than to get the internet hyped up. There's a reason Sony's presentations are usually the "best", but Microsoft and Nintendo are the ones making bank.

Maybe you want it to be a media hype thing, but just because they don't doesn't mean they have no idea what they're doing.

greatn posted:

Luigi and Toad have been shown with different abilities too, and here's a shocking idea: give her pants? Especially since her powers come from her floaty dress anyway. She could just be out for a jog when Bowser takes the castle, it's the 21st Century.
"Hey, just take a freakishly iconic part of the visual language of your games and just change it. Obviously, this thing that I only thought of because a conversation online went in a really specific direction is holding Nintendo back. I am much smarter than Nintendo."

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 14, 2013

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't imagine how great E3 is going to be.

A full hour of Nintendo Land fireworks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Atomicated posted:

A full hour of Nintendo Land fireworks.
Why, look who's here, everyone! A static image of a Batman character! Everyone applaud!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno, I think E3 will be great. I'm really excited to see actual footage of the next 3D Mario game, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi game, Xenoblade sequel, SMT x Fire Emblem and Wind Waker HD. I don't think there'll be any new big surprises or anything but I'm really happy with the line up.

theflyingorc posted:

Are they doing something of a WiiU/3DS back-and-forth for these things? I've watched half of the Direct, and it seems to mostly be 3DS focused.

I don't know about the US direct, but on the EU site it says it's a 3DS Nintendo Direct.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Nintendoland presentation was terrible, but the game ended up being the complete opposite of Wii Music. We're guaranteed to get Super Smash Bros Imbroglio, and a new Zelda. With Sony and Microsoft most likely going to spend a good portion of their shows unveiling/explaining their new consoles, I believe Nintendo is just going throw all sorts of crazy Wii U and 3DS games at us. I'm being very optimistic, I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I agree. You are being very optimistic.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Nintendoland presentation was terrible, but the game ended up being the complete opposite of Wii Music. We're guaranteed to get Super Smash Bros Imbroglio, and a new Zelda. With Sony and Microsoft most likely going to spend a good portion of their shows unveiling/explaining their new consoles, I believe Nintendo is just going throw all sorts of crazy Wii U and 3DS games at us. I'm being very optimistic, I guess.

E3 does not work like that! You don't make games to show them at E3! Nintendo has a marketing strategy they're pursuing, and apps/games that they are working on. At E3, they will show us the ones that are ready. There is no reason to think that they will blow all our minds or waste all our time on a heartbeat monitor thing. There's literally no data to say anything either way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Both companies are unveiling their platforms and explaining them at press events months in advance of E3.

• Locked thread