Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

podcat posted:

The V2 warscore system had a few "retardations". We are redoing that a bit for HoD. I agree those screenshots are super dumb.
This has made me a very happy man. The biggest problem I had with V2 that couldn't be fixed with mods was that if a nation was large enough (like Russia), it would become impossible to actually take any territory because the warscore required to bring them to the peace table was so ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

A Heart of Porkness

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Or, A Heart of Popeness, in the case of the UK.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

podcat posted:

The V2 warscore system had a few "retardations". We are redoing that a bit for HoD. I agree those screenshots are super dumb.

Can you talk about what you're planning at all? I think CK2's style of giving huge warscore bonuses to the person who holds the province actually being contested would be absolutely perfect for Victoria, with all the opportunities for Great Powers to fight over colonies.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's kinda say but I think I mostly preordered MotE because I felt like giving PI some money. They should have given me some sort of EU4 Beta access instead of Sengoku tough. (I already owned that and never played it)

On that note, has there been any word on some EU4 Alpha/Beta? I could test if Switzerland can still have every HRE minor and Italy as a vassal!

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Can you talk about what you're planning at all? I think CK2's style of giving huge warscore bonuses to the person who holds the province actually being contested would be absolutely perfect for Victoria, with all the opportunities for Great Powers to fight over colonies.

there will be dev diaries, but sure as a freebee, that is a lot like how it will work (its a bit more involved because you can add multiple goals etc though).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

podcat posted:

there will be dev diaries, but sure as a freebee, that is a lot like how it will work (its a bit more involved because you can add multiple goals etc though).

That's awesome, thanks!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I don't think that MotE will be as bad as Sengoku, it's probably a very short game but I think that the combat mechanics looks quite interesting.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Not to hate, but it seems to me that many of you guys are dissing Sengoku without actually playing it. Its not as deep as our other games but a few playthroughs are fun if you like war. I don't think it deserves the reputation it has on these forums.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I don't know, man. I thought it was the most plays-itself Paradox game to date. It even beat out early HoI3. The absolute lack of interactivity was my beef with it, anyway. With Riso's Sengoku conversion for CK2, there's no really any reason to return to it.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I bought and played Sengoku, it's probably the only Paradox game that I have actually won but it just felt that there was so much missing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

podcat posted:

Not to hate, but it seems to me that many of you guys are dissing Sengoku without actually playing it. Its not as deep as our other games but a few playthroughs are fun if you like war. I don't think it deserves the reputation it has on these forums.

I will admit to not have played it, but there's quite a few things that have soured me about it, not stemming merely from its reputation.

One, its release date and focus (character-event focused game) really makes it feel as its purpose was to be a CK2 beta; CK2 was very hyped, it was marketed very well, and was expected to sell. Sengoku was an aside, not part of your four big franchises. In the end, even if the intention wasn't that, Sengoku did serve as a CK2 beta.

Two, some aesthetical and design choices were quite a turn-off. The concept of "Honour", with your character committing sepuku when it reaches zero feels like little more than a caricature. There's also that hilarious loading screen with the church bathed in light and the shinto temple in darkness.

I guess it's not much, but coupled with its reputation as a very simple game, I have no desire to spend a portion of my hard drive to house it, much less play it.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
To be honest, March of the Eagles is already scratched off of my "to buy" list because it's been made clear it's a war-focused game, which is fair enough but just not my cup of tea. Will the new end date of EU4 incorporate any kind of revolutionary activity or is that now all put into MotE?

Edit: That said, I do occasionally play Darkest Hour (with Kaiserreich) because it was very cheap when I got it and I like seeing the Alt-History nonsense, so maybe a war-focused game won't be all bad. I do think it depends a lot on how tech is managed in MotE.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

podcat posted:

I feel like it's a game with a niche targeting that did its job: beta some concepts for CK2 and fund its development. It clearly worked, because CK2 was your best game ever on release :)
There's just not really that much reason to play it these days - of course, if it's free it's a different story.

Has the pricing/release date for HoD been announced yet? Or is it just Q1 2013, ??? dollars?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
There was also the ridiculous decision to market it as Shogun Total War with none of the battles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like one of the problems of Sengoku, although this is hardly Sengoku's fault, is the lack of a connection with the geography and factions involved. Like, I know what France is and I know who the Mamluks are and I'm familiar with the terrain of most of the world at the scale represented by CK/EU/Vic/HOI, but I look at the provinces and people and the clans of Feudal Japan and :shrug:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There was also the ridiculous decision to market it as Shogun Total War with none of the battles.

Hey at least there's no Realm Divide!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I was amazed by that "What's the best part of Total War? Well that's dumb and we don't have it :smug:!"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I finally beat the Russians, took back northern Manchuria, took back Tuva(Sofianova region), and forced them to give my buddies Japan Sakhalin Island to further weaken them in the east. All it took was...occupying everything up to Kiev and Minsk.

I'm amazed Russia is keeping GP status with 0 military. Meanwhile, my people are being very, very odd about where they move to:

Krakow is now 20% South Chinese and 13% North Chinese...within a decade I fully expect it to be majority Chinese.

My world, 1898:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Hasn't Krakow always been a weird immigrant magnet?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Noreaus posted:

Hasn't Krakow always been a weird immigrant magnet?

Yeah, as I recall their Catholic party is Limited Citizenship instead of Residency, it's a relativity free democracy, and in my experience, it seems to cave to the demands of movements rather quickly, probably because even in a micronation like Krakow you can still have 13 stacks of Anarcho-liberals rise up even though the nation can only raise 2 stacks of soldiers. Although, in one game as Krakow I tried making Krakow the most militarized city in the world and got up to 15% of my pop being soldiers. Still too weak to take on any of my neighbors, but I slaughtered the Serbians :v:.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Patter Song posted:

So I finally beat the Russians, took back northern Manchuria, took back Tuva(Sofianova region), and forced them to give my buddies Japan Sakhalin Island to further weaken them in the east. All it took was...occupying everything up to Kiev and Minsk.

I'm amazed Russia is keeping GP status with 0 military. Meanwhile, my people are being very, very odd about where they move to:

Krakow is now 20% South Chinese and 13% North Chinese...within a decade I fully expect it to be majority Chinese.

My world, 1898:

What's that white border between Portugal and Spain? Austria?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

What's that white border between Portugal and Spain? Austria?

Austria, yeah. Portugal got messed up in the First Great War and had to cede most of their mainland to Austria and the Azores and Angola to Spain. At the moment Portugal is Lisbon + Mozambique.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Wait, where can i see those stats for which country my population is emigrating to?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Noreaus posted:

To be honest, March of the Eagles is already scratched off of my "to buy" list because it's been made clear it's a war-focused game, which is fair enough but just not my cup of tea.

Yeah, this is me for Sengoku and MoE. I like building up to and planning the war and dealing with the consequences (successful or not), and the war in the context of my ~Grand Strategy~ for whatever nation I'm playing, but the actual smacking units together isn't ever all that fun. Aggravated by the psychotic !!!NEVER SURRENDER TOTAL WAR!!! peace resolution AI that has been prominent in some previous titles.

It's weird, because I'll happily play complex war games like Grigsby's War in Russia or whatever. I think it's the real time nature. Like, I've bought every Hearts of Iron title and expansion because I really WANT to enjoy them (& support Paradox), and I play the pre-war years, and then the war starts and hundreds of units are moving around simultaneously, air units are flashing all over the map, and my brain just shuts down or something.

But I'd happily buy 5 release day HOI3s to get one CK2 or EUIII, so... :shobon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So here's the Ottoroman Empire after about a hundred years:

The North African Coast and Hedjaz were all inherited through PUs, so they're all cored. Probably going to take over the rest of Arabia, the south into Swahili lands for the ivory provinces, and then push further up into Italy. From that point it's all Imperial territory, and Austria is still giving me a tough fight even after modernizing. Comedy option: Ottoman North America.

Of course at this point I discovered that somehow my ruler's dynasty somehow became Zayyanid (from Algiers). I could probably fix that in the save file, but :qq: my immersion :qq:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
OK, so I've tried to install Vicky 2 again and I've gotten yet another crash error on initalizing maplogic for the first time: "File exception: Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 624. Description: The system cannot find the file specified."

It's been this way pretty much every time I've tried every few months or so and given up on the Pdox forums for an answer. Anyone got any ideas?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Pooned posted:

Wait, where can i see those stats for which country my population is emigrating to?
Switch to the migration mapmode and mouse over your country, it'll give you a breakdown of how many people have migrated to/from each country.

Serpentis posted:

OK, so I've tried to install Vicky 2 again and I've gotten yet another crash error on initalizing maplogic for the first time: "File exception: Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 624. Description: The system cannot find the file specified."

It's been this way pretty much every time I've tried every few months or so and given up on the Pdox forums for an answer. Anyone got any ideas?
Clearing the map cache usually fixes that one for me. Go to <install directory>\Victoria 2\map and delete everything inside, but don't delete the map folder.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Friend Commuter posted:

Clearing the map cache usually fixes that one for me. Go to <install directory>\Victoria 2\map and delete everything inside, but don't delete the map folder.

Just the "cache" folder or everything under the map directory?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fister Roboto posted:

The North African Coast and Hedjaz were all inherited through PUs, so they're all cored. Probably going to take over the rest of Arabia, the south into Swahili lands for the ivory provinces, and then push further up into Italy. From that point it's all Imperial territory, and Austria is still giving me a tough fight even after modernizing. Comedy option: Ottoman North America.

Cheesy tip: Get a border with an imperial OPM and rack up some infamy. When your infamy gets high enough every neighbouring nation with a CB will attack you. This, of course, includes all those Christian OPMs you border who will declare holy war on you, while dragging in just one or two allies. Since they are the aggressor the war leader won't change even if they are allied to Austria, Bohemia and Burgundy, so you just have to occupy their one province and you can annex them for 2 points of infamy without having to fight the Kaiser. As long as you make sure not to border any of the larger nations and don't exceed the infamy limit you can eat up the entire HRE from the inside without any difficulties. Like so:

Just make sure you dismantle the HRE before annexing the last elector, or it'll turn permanently hereditary and the Kaiser will be un-annexable for the rest of the game.
Like Hungary here:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fister Roboto posted:

Of course at this point I discovered that somehow my ruler's dynasty somehow became Zayyanid (from Algiers). I could probably fix that in the save file, but :qq: my immersion :qq:

I think you mean the Islamic Roman Empire :v:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Serpentis posted:

Just the "cache" folder or everything under the map directory?
Just the cache folder, sorry. Also, there's another copy of the cache in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 2\map , so delete that one as well.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Fister Roboto posted:

Is... is that Burgundy or Lithuania in Scotland? Also Jesus, Prussia, chill out. :psyduck:

That said, Rome's the obvious next step. Ottoman America does sound funny... at least take the Turk Islands.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that Burgundy in Scotland?

And the light of Islam must be spread to the New World!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Just the cache folder, sorry. Also, there's another copy of the cache in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 2\map , so delete that one as well.

That did it! Now to fail for my first time ever at Vicky ... oh dear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

Is that Burgundy in Scotland?

And the light of Islam must be spread to the New World!

Yeah, Burgundy inherited Scotland and Bavaria about 50 years ago.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CK2 is on a Steam sale for the next week, $10. It's one of the featured games for the official Steam Linux client

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/

URL if you want to add click through stats to the Linux specific part of it

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

podcat posted:

Can you finally win a war against the UK with war goals worth more than like 15 war score without occupying all of India and half of the rest of the planet

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Now that Paradox has hired Wiz, I've found the next modder they should recruit:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?667097-New-Mod

quote:

So, who wants to help me make a new mod? I know how to do most things, but need these:

researcher/s - finds out facts we use in our mod

graphics guy - someone who can make the graphics look good ( good artist )

units guy - make units, try to make them as good as possible

helper - my assistant ( will explain what he does )

YOU NEED EXPERIENCE

AND A STEAM ACCOUNT FOR COMMUNICATION

so you can add me on steam ( name: ReljaM ) and then ask me if you can join, and tell what you did already. I almost made a new mod in hearts of iron 3, but it failed because... well... too many information, and with all that it just... stopped working!

Calling dibs on 'helper'.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I just tried A Srb Divided for the first time, and I have to say this is the highest concentration of sheer loving insanity I've seen outside of Steppe Wolfe. Every few minutes I see another thing that makes me go, "What...how...? :psyboom:"

The Papacy is based out of Birmingham. There are Basques in California, Croats in Australia, an Italian colony in Siberia, a civilized Inuit monarchy in Alaska, and Serbs in Guiana. The Kingdoms of England and France no longer exist. There is a country literally called 'Not Croatia'. The list goes on.

It's awesome. I really want to track down the LP this is based on now, just so I can see how the gently caress the world ended up like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Calling dibs on 'helper'.

The helper is mostly there to give him back rubs and to feed him grapes.

• Locked thread