Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

robodex posted:

I should spend money on a game I'm going to play for 10 minutes at a time while I'm taking a crap.

So there are Hard Core Gamers, and poo poo Gamers. At times, Hard Core Gamers can be poo poo gamers, but make no mistake, poo poo gamers must pay a lot of IAP to become Hard Core Gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
The market is waaay past the point it will ever be able to support a decent amount of good paid for games again. I'm not saying I welcome it but you have to be realistic.

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

I'll stick to giving money to games I enjoy and deleting within minutes the games I don't.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
First video showing some specifics on how the upcoming FREE TO PLAY (and beautiful) FPS The Drowning's original control scheme works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKdyxIB1cE

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Family Values posted:

Another thing that might help is if the App Store separated out freemium games into their own sub-category with their own top-grossing etc. lists.
This is the actual problem. The issue here is that visibility on the App Store just sucks.

If users had a way to easily get a list of current "games that are worth $10", you might actually see premium gaming come into focus. As it is, the one and only metric players have for "is it good", outside of featuring, is the top grossing list. And it just so happens that the best way to stay in that list is F2P, whereas staying on the featured list isn't practical.

I'd argue part of the reason for the F2P shift, in fact, is that the top grossing is increasingly F2P dominated, to where you simply can't get the visibility necessary for a premium game anymore. It used to be you could at least market your way up the list, or use other tactics - but not as much, these days.

... so yeah. If Apple tiered out the marketplace, and had a top grossing for $5, $10, and $15 - that could absolutely shake things up. Unfortunately, they're not really interested in gaming, just in profits, so it's somewhat unlikely that will ever happen.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 14, 2013

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

The problem with RR3 is the expectation we all had for what it would be was crushed. Who, a few months ago, would have said RR3 would be f2p with all of the timers and junk? That, coupled with the fact that the previous two games were targeted to "core gamers", but were good enough to get wide attention from people who don't identify themselves as "core gamers." They built something of quality, got really popular, and are now letting the experience suffer in the name of cash grab.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

The problem with RR3 is the expectation we all had for what it would be was crushed. Who, a few months ago, would have said RR3 would be f2p with all of the timers and junk? That, coupled with the fact that the previous two games were targeted to "core gamers", but were good enough to get wide attention from people who don't identify themselves as "core gamers." They built something of quality, got really popular, and are now letting the experience suffer in the name of cash grab.
Well, at least they didn't immediately take RR1 & RR2 off the store when they added 3.

That's what Gameloft did when they introduced Let's Golf 3 and it was incredibly shameless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

marshmonkey posted:

First video showing some specifics on how the upcoming FREE TO PLAY (and beautiful) FPS The Drowning's original control scheme works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKdyxIB1cE

Seems pretty slick, but I have a feeling veteran FPS players who spend their entire day strafing around maps are going to complain about it a whole bunch.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oh drat! 100 replies Star Command or some cool new game must be ou.... Oh...

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

xzzy posted:

Seems pretty slick, but I have a feeling veteran FPS players who spend their entire day strafing around maps are going to complain about it a whole bunch.

Veteran gamers complaining about something? I dunno, seems like a stretch.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I like how the developers in this thread are making GBS threads themselves over the freemium outcry. Get the gently caress over yourselves, Marsh brothers especially. And I say this as someone who also needs to get the gently caress over himself.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I disagree with your opinion and need to post about it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I realized something with the Pixel People money glitch:
Combine this with the Gene Pool building, and you have a way of making utonium. Once you get a good coin rate going, just spend 2 million over and over again and eventually you earn +2/+5 utonium packs.

Ta-da, game broken!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bummey posted:

I like how the developers in this thread are making GBS threads themselves over the freemium outcry. Get the gently caress over yourselves, Marsh brothers especially. And I say this as someone who also needs to get the gently caress over himself.

Your right, if we could just continue this angry circle jerk every time a new freemium game comes out without being interrupted - we might just be able to reverse this trend and get back to the way things used to be.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Shalinor posted:

... so yeah. If Apple tiered out the marketplace, and had a top grossing for $5, $10, and $15 - that could absolutely shake things up. Unfortunately, they're not really interested in gaming, just in profits, so it's somewhat unlikely that will ever happen.

I know it's probably a goddamn idiotic idea since we're in "the future" and all, but what about selling games via game codes in retail outlets? Seems like having a box on a shelf in a store creates remarkable visibility for games, such that a game is profitable on a console system with 1/10 the user base of the idevices, and sells for $40.

If your game is premium, why let it just sit in the App Store and have people find it? Surely the costs incurred with putting unique codes into physical form would be significantly less if your well-made AAA-worthy title were able to sell copies that way. The App Store is lovely. Retail outlets move things. Sell a game for $20 with a physical card, make more money.

It bums me out that a platform like the iOS devices is unsustainable somehow, because I'm not buying IAP games and there are very few compelling experiences on iOS that are worth it.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Pixel People is the first timer game that's really clicked for me. I don't know why I dig it so much, but it's just enough game for me.

Quick question. Does the Law Firms 40u for a land update stay at that price for the whole game, or does the cost increase?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Telex posted:

I know it's probably a goddamn idiotic idea since we're in "the future" and all, but what about selling games via game codes in retail outlets? Seems like having a box on a shelf in a store creates remarkable visibility for games, such that a game is profitable on a console system with 1/10 the user base of the idevices, and sells for $40.

If your game is premium, why let it just sit in the App Store and have people find it? Surely the costs incurred with putting unique codes into physical form would be significantly less if your well-made AAA-worthy title were able to sell copies that way. The App Store is lovely. Retail outlets move things. Sell a game for $20 with a physical card, make more money.

It bums me out that a platform like the iOS devices is unsustainable somehow, because I'm not buying IAP games and there are very few compelling experiences on iOS that are worth it.

This is a brilliant post.

Unless you're being serious :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Telex posted:

Two reasons:

1.) shelf space is expensive. Really expensive. It also really only exists if there's reason beyond games for said shelf-space. In the current market, the best you could hope for is "angry birds in that gift card kiosk in the supermarket" or "a bunch of top grossing mobile games at GameStop, whose patrons would snicker as they walked by that kiosk to find Halo 5." I guess you could carve out a space at the Apple store, but... god. Hipsters buying digital products in analog fashion at the Apple store would surely cause some kind of singularity.

2.) Making a new venue for shelf space specifically for mobile is moving backwards, and would be seen as old fashioned. You've got a virtual store in your hand already, nobody wants to lose that - they just want their virtual store to have more shelves, or shelves more relevant to their interests.

Bummey posted:

:(

Come on dude. It's a conversation. There are two sides.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 14, 2013

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

JazzFlight posted:

I realized something with the Pixel People money glitch:
Combine this with the Gene Pool building, and you have a way of making utonium. Once you get a good coin rate going, just spend 2 million over and over again and eventually you earn +2/+5 utonium packs.

Ta-da, game broken!

Except it makes my phone feel like a pocket hand warmer. Still, I used it to go from 170->200 land, which will keep me busy for a little while.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Wide Sky has been updated with a new control scheme and I'm really enjoying it. It has a really nice vibe and aesthetic going for it plus some interesting gameplay.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The best would be if there was some way to better sort through the apps in the app store. Some sort of app shopping app, maybe.... Surely something that useful wouldn't get pulled from the app store...

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

The best would be if there was some way to better sort through the apps in the app store. Some sort of app shopping app, maybe.... Surely something that useful wouldn't get pulled from the app store...

App Shopper wasn't exactly great for that, either.

(also why is the Touch Arcade app still alive? It arguably does the same poo poo as AppShopper)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Rokstar posted:

I get the joke here, but -- no, it's absolutely not the best. Unless it's built into the App Store so 100% of the iOS purchasing market sees it, it won't actually do anything to address the greater context being discussed here.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

io_burn posted:

Well, someone has to put morons in their place.

I nominate UncleSmoothie.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
My AppShopper is showing a bunch of price drops for EA games like Monopoly for Presidents Day Sale but it's still showing full price to me, I'll check again later since there's some weirdness with my time zone/store (New Zealand) but in the meanwhile, is anything in particular that they've got on there worth a dollar?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

WetSpink posted:

My AppShopper is showing a bunch of price drops for EA games like Monopoly for Presidents Day Sale but it's still showing full price to me, I'll check again later since there's some weirdness with my time zone/store (New Zealand) but in the meanwhile, is anything in particular that they've got on there worth a dollar?

If you can wait until xmas, they will probably all go free again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So in Pixel People, you eventually want to repeat professions in order to fill up all the jobs, correct? Aside from initially unlocking a profession to gain whatever building/bonus, there's no benefit to stocking certain buildings with a specific number of jobs?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So i hate to change the subject, but in Beastie Bay does stuff you buy at Wairo Inc. like the boss capture unlock and fast mode stay unlocked through all games or is it that game only?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So in Pixel People, you eventually want to repeat professions in order to fill up all the jobs, correct? Aside from initially unlocking a profession to gain whatever building/bonus, there's no benefit to stocking certain buildings with a specific number of jobs?

Filling up buildings (similar to dream jobs in Tiny Tower) will grant you more money per tick, and once you've built the Bank all filled buildings will double their earnings. I made it a priority to fill buildings first, assuming I had unlocked necessary jobs to do so, then discover new jobs second.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

The Rokstar posted:

So i hate to change the subject, but in Beastie Bay does stuff you buy at Wairo Inc. like the boss capture unlock and fast mode stay unlocked through all games or is it that game only?

All games.

except scrolls, you can carry them over but you don't get more next game.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

obi_ant posted:

Oh drat! 100 replies Star Command or some cool new game must be ou.... Oh...

I read Star Control.. I would kill for a remake of Star Control 2 on my ipad :(

but traveling between Alpha Centauri and Gamma Hydra will probably take 15 hours or 25 minutes if I use $3 worth of IAP UrQuan bux

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

You know what? I love the IAP system. Do you know how many hours of enjoyment I have had for free and legally? Days of enjoyment last year. RAD soldiers, pixel people, beastie bay, tiny tower, punch quest, karate girl, dragon island, happy hills, and more that I have forgotten. Where else do you find that? Sure most of the games IAP games are terrible, but they are terrible games due to design issues, not the payment system. RRC3 took a standard pay once game, added some timers and IAP to bypass said timers and was done with it. I think that is a bad design choice. Each type of payment style has different flows and the gameplay need to reflect that. I don't like the trend of pay to win games, but I am all for pay for different styles of gameplay or longer gameplay. I used RAD soldiers as an example and I will do so again. I can pay for more soldiers but they are all pretty unique but balanced. Some veterans of the game who had unlock everyone were using the team you can get for free. There about 5 free maps and 3 maps you can buy. Each map has a different play styles so I bought the 3 premium ones because I liked them (people who bought them can play them with people who haven't ).

So I think IAP can be done right and the current trends have gotten me more enjoyment for free then I should morally expect too. Seriously I feeling bad getting so much for free is my main reason for buying IAP.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I like how many people roundly and soundly deride free-to-play titles but then having nothing to say to those who (proudly) state that they wishlist things in Appshopper and just wait long enough for titles to eventually go free, as a primary iOS gaming strategy. They may even be that kind of person themselves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

I like how many people roundly and soundly deride free-to-play titles but then having nothing to say to those who (proudly) state that they wishlist things in Appshopper and just wait long enough for titles to eventually go free, as a primary iOS gaming strategy. They may even be that kind of person themselves.

Haha, why do you think anyone who derides lovely F2P schemes has to agree with you about Appshopper or whatever in order to seem reasonable?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

I've stated, again and again, that I am aware of the extreme ideological clashes in my behavior, and don't plan on changing a thing. My real reason for throwing things on AppShopper, whether you believe it or not, isn't out of entitled consumerism or financial stinginess, but merely available time. I don't have time to play all these games. poo poo, I still have games on my phone from years back that I haven't gotten around to. I don't have time to play what I already own, so why should I spend money on more things that I'm probably not going to get around to? It just so happens that the App Store encourages sales and freebies, and usually that is what prompts me to eventually purchase or download them (and then put them in the backlog anyway). They didn't lose a sale by allowing me to download it for free because I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. And I probably won't play it, anyway, after downloading it for free.

I won't complain if this game I wanted long ago just went free. I also won't complain if it never goes free and demands a premium, because I'll get around to it eventually.

Like me or hate me, I don't care, but it would help if your hate was based on reality and not some fantasy you've concocted based on my tongue in cheek posting.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 14, 2013

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Fallom posted:

Haha, why do you think anyone who derides lovely F2P schemes has to agree with you about Appshopper or whatever in order to seem reasonable?

I guess it's just really interesting to me that it seems like more often than not the people who most vehemently hate free to play are also the same people who will wait eternally for a sale... All the while completely lacking the wherewithal to realize that it's this exact behavior pattern that has driven developers to free to play in the first place.

You see this everywhere on the TouchArcade forums.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I've done the opposite since Christmas. If the game's been around and goes free, but its indie, ill write a note on my phone with a reminder in a week to see if its back to being full-price again.

On the subject of App Store separate listings, they already did it once between top free/paid, so I don't see why splitting it further would be a bad idea. Not even necessarily to weed out IAP, but just those price points alone would make good cut offs. I would be way more likely to buy those top money apps if I knew they existed.

And this isn't even limited to games, either. There's a lot if tools on the App Store that I would look at if I had an easy way of separating out the price points. I can't afford a 90 dollar full feature app or something weird like that but a higher quality 10 buck one I'd consider, but I can't look just for that price so I'm more likely to pick up whatever has decent reviews and a lowish price

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

io_burn posted:

I guess it's just really interesting to me that it seems like more often than not the people who most vehemently hate free to play are also the same people who will wait eternally for a sale... All the while completely lacking the wherewithal to realize that it's this exact behavior pattern that has driven developers to free to play in the first place.

Oh yeah, so what came first? The free apps or the demand for free apps? :iiam:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

On the subject of App Store separate listings, they already did it once between top free/paid, so I don't see why splitting it further would be a bad idea. Not even necessarily to weed out IAP, but just those price points alone would make good cut offs. I would be way more likely to buy those top money apps if I knew they existed.
I think the problem is that since prices for apps change so frequently, wouldn't the price-tier chart be in constant flux?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

io_burn posted:

You see this everywhere on the TouchArcade forums.

Yeah there's certainly that aspect to it that seems pretty common, especially in the Steam thread. However, all I know is that I'm free with my money when it comes to non-F2P games so I'm not The Problem. I'm not one of those dudes even though I can't stand most F2P models but apparently it seems like it when I express disappointment that a followup to a series I enjoy has implemented timers.

I know I'm not the majority that these studios need to cater to either, but that isn't exactly a comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Really the App Store would be perfect if they only allowed premium games costing between $5-$10, didn't allow price fluctuations, and only allowed a certain amount of games to be released so consumers weren't flooded with options.

• Locked thread