Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I don't know why people want to play as Peach so badly in Mario games. It's bad enough the games have capes and raccoon tails that break most of the platforming difficulty but people want a character that can float for three seconds on top of that.

Waluigi would be a much better character. Give him tremendously unforgiving sharp gravity, but instead of a spin jump he will strike poo poo with a tennis racket/strikers ball and go "Nya-ha-ha! Waluigi time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

Come on man, if the most iconic thing about a character is "wears a skirt"that character desperately needs an upgrade.

You literally don't understand anything, do you? They're not going to get rid of Mario's overalls or hat, either. You're dealing with some of the most powerful brands in the world inside of a game that is supposed to be the de facto representation of that brand. Significant changes to characters that can be easily identified in silhouette are a big deal.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Uhhh it's not the internet, it would be a sound decision. If Microsoft and Sony show off the ~true~ next gen and Nintendo doesn't bring any big guns all the media buzz will be surrounding their new products for months instead of Nintendo's.
And we are certain Nintendo will make a sound decision as it relates to software development because...?

quote:

Most of the major games are already confirmed to be in development (and will be at E3) and knowing Nintendo they haven't shown their hand yet, and are saving it for the show.
What? What about Nintendo's prior behavior leads you to think this? The only consistent thing about what Nintendo brings to E3 is inconsistency.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Iacen posted:

Let's be honest here: I know goons are really excited about both Pikmin and Monster Hunter, but do you consider both games something that'll appeal to the casual* consumer? Monster Hunter in particular doesn't really strike me as a game that'll really set fire to the world, apart from who've bought a Wii U specifically for playing the game.

*I don't mean casual in the "Hur hur, bored soccermom wii sport casual" way, but more as someone who's not entrenched in the internet and knows about this game

Somewhat yes to Pikmin, no to Monster Hunter.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The real answer is to just replace one of the toads with Wario. Who cares if he isn't allowed to fart, even a more or less generic playing Wario is much preferable to the two toads system.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

theflyingorc posted:

You literally don't understand anything, do you? They're not going to get rid of Mario's overalls or hat, either. You're dealing with some of the most powerful brands in the world inside of a game that is supposed to be the de facto representation of that brand. Significant changes to characters that can be easily identified in silhouette are a big deal.

http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/mario_tennis_3ds_conceptart_qdqzp.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/mario/images/c/c4/Mario_Kart_Wii_-_Peach_motorbike.jpg

It wouldn't even be the first time she doesn't have the "iconic" dress.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Somewhat yes to Pikmin, no to Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter sells to monster hunter fans. Tri was moderately successful in America (not by Capcom's standards but nothing ever is since they honest-to-God expect CoD numbers), so maybe TriU will do well too. But I'm really doubting it because of the following factors:
1. It is America
2. Most MH fans were expecting their big HD number to be on the PS3 or PS3/360, not exclusive to a new Nintendo console.
3. WiiU sales all over the place due to MH being the only major game release in over a month.

On top of that, MH is a really niche series here in the U.S.. Even most core gamers, the ones that pay attention to gaming news, either don't know it exists or only have a vague idea of what the gently caress it is.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 14, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

There is a difference between the tennis game and a main-series sidescroller, and her tennis outfit still works to hold the general shape (and overall feel) of the usual outfit.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Monster Hunter sells to monster hunter fans. Tri was moderately successful in America (not by Capcom's standards but nothing ever is since they honest-to-God expect CoD numbers), so maybe TriU will do well too. But I'm really doubting it because of the following factors:
1. It is America
2. Most MH fans were expecting their big HD number to be on the PS3 or PS3/360, not exclusive to a new Nintendo console.

On top of that, MH is a really niche series here in the U.S.. Even most core gamers, the ones that pay attention to gaming news, either don't know it exists or only have a vague idea of what the gently caress it is.
Basically what I was trying to say. Monster Hunter isn't really going to move units to casuals, Pikmin should have mixed success. Pikmin should be a much stronger brand than it is, but the lack of any games on the Wii hurt things.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cliff Racer posted:

The real answer is to just replace one of the toads with Wario. Who cares if he isn't allowed to fart, even a more or less generic playing Wario is much preferable to the two toads system.

This is exactly what they should do. (and replace the second Toad with Waluigi)

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
I purchased a WiiU right after the Nintendo Wind Waker remake was announced (I am a sucker) and just got around to taking it out of the package today. The update has been written about ad nauseam but after finally getting into the system, I just can't get over how slow everything is to load. I know Nintendo says there are fixes coming, but this isn't 2005. How they launched it this way, I don't understand. Anyway, I haven't even bothered to try and play anything on it, I just can't be bothered.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

These games aren't going to simply materialize BECAUSE THE INTERNET THINKS THEY NEED THEM FOR E3, I don't get what you people aren't understanding about this.
Seriously, there was nothing funnier than the 10 minutes before Nintendo's 2012 E3 presentation, contrasted with the 10 minutes after.

"Man, E3 has been so bad this year, all Nintendo has to do is show up!"

-- swirl transition --

"WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Secht posted:

I purchased a WiiU right after the Nintendo Wind Waker remake was announced (I am a sucker) and just got around to taking it out of the package today. The update has been written about ad nauseam but after finally getting into the system, I just can't get over how slow everything is to load. I know Nintendo says there are fixes coming, but this isn't 2005. How they launched it this way, I don't understand. Anyway, I haven't even bothered to try and play anything on it, I just can't be bothered.

It's only Miiverse->home menu/game stuff. Everything else is really fast.

They launched it this way because it was in a mad rush for the Holiday season and they wanted to get a year-long edge (or more) on Microsoft and Sony's next offerings. Japan actually got the WiiU like a month and a half after the U.S., that's how rushed it was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

Do you seriously think putting Peach or Daisy in overalls would be brand damaging?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Nintendo released a major Mario platformer title where peach wore shorts and had her hair in a ponytail. This is reaching pretty far to counter the revolutionary notion of "hey maybe it would be nice to have the female character be playable, instead of literally inventing two generic identical male characters nobody likes".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Secht posted:

Really? How slow is it going? Mine loads about as fast as my ps3 does. Its could use some improvment but its not at all an experience killer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo released a major Mario platformer title where peach wore shorts and had her hair in a ponytail. This is reaching pretty far to counter the revolutionary notion of "hey maybe it would be nice to have the female character be playable, instead of literally inventing two generic identical male characters nobody likes".

Which game are you referring to?

And yes, not keeping the visual language consistent from game to game actually can be brand damaging. Co-oping the overalls and re-contextualizing it might not be too terrible, but keeping characters as massive as the main Mario cast instantly recognizable regardless of context is A Huge Deal(tm).

Mickey Mouse is literally the only brand I can think of that might be more iconic.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

What? A lot of people like Toad! Which is weird, because I've always seen him as super generic.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Toad is awesome. He's ambiguous and works great as a unisex character. Same goes with Kirby and Yoshi.

But two Toads? Come on Nintendo. "Peach with Mario physiques" is not a game problem.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But two Toads? Come on Nintendo. "Peach with Mario physiques" is not a game problem.

It is if your mission is to save Peach.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is if your mission is to save Peach.

Oh me oh my how will they ever possibly change the story of Mario to something other than Mario saving Peach?

Sorry, bad excuse.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They could just stick Daisy in and just give everyone their Mario 2 abilities (with Daisy getting the hover).

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

greatn posted:

Do you seriously think putting Peach or Daisy in overalls would be brand damaging?

As someone who works with Brand Managers all the time, yes. In a spinoff side-game not so much, but in the main brand, keep your characters looking how they always look.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Which game are you referring to?

My bad, I got her alternate costume from Super Mario Sunshine mixed up with her alternate costume from some of the Mario sports games. Emphasis on the fact that there was more than one alternate costume for me to mix up in my head.

And just to clarify, by "generic" I meant that there are lots of identical-looking toads in the Mario universe, and they threw in two new ones without evening giving them names.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Toad is awesome. He's ambiguous and works great as a unisex character. Same goes with Kirby and Yoshi.

Toad is male because they made a point of introducing Toadette.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It could at LEAST be Toad and Toadette or something. I still think objections to letting one of the princesses be a character are pretty absurd though. Their excuses of "We would have to make special dress physics" are dumb, no they wouldn't. I guarantee such a move of giving them a normal moveset and making them an optional protagonist would be met with universal praise and help endear the game to women more than it already is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You're all forgetting Peach's starring role in Super Princess Peach.

She gets really moody and fucks poo poo up. Bring the parasol in and we're golden.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't care if peach is in overalls or a dress or not playable at all, but they really miss out on some extra replayability without having multiple characters with some different characteristics...kind of along the lines of Super Mario Bros 2.

Iacen posted:

Let's be honest here: I know goons are really excited about both Pikmin and Monster Hunter, but do you consider both games something that'll appeal to the casual* consumer? Monster Hunter in particular doesn't really strike me as a game that'll really set fire to the world, apart from who've bought a Wii U specifically for playing the game.

*I don't mean casual in the "Hur hur, bored soccermom wii sport casual" way, but more as someone who's not entrenched in the internet and knows about this game

Monster Hunter is definitely not for everybody, at a quick glance someone might take a look at the game and think maybe it's similar to God of War or something which it really isn't. The game takes some skill and there is no lock-on so it's pretty far from mindless bashing of large dinosaur type things. If anything i'd expect there to be some backlash from people who don't know what they are getting themselves into, which is why people should check the demo out when it's available.

I think Pikmin has a great chance to reach the more casual market, especially since a lot of people got a very small taste from Nintendoland. On top of that, it looks to be one of the more visually impressive games we've seen so far at least in my opinion.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

Toad is male because they made a point of introducing Toadette.

I meant more that men and women both love and are completely comfortable playing as Toad. Toad is cute.

And greatn makes a great point, why wasn't the other Toad a Toadette?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why would anyone honestly want a playable Toadette? Nintendo filling in its derth of female characters with "Its ____ but a girl" is the dumbest thing and I can't believe people actually enjoy it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

They should add Birdo. Problem solved.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Mario, Luigi, Toad and Yoshi. When everybody else gets a Yoshi to ride, Yoshi rides a somewhat smaller Mario, making everybody uncomfortable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Mario, Luigi, Toad and Yoshi. When everybody else gets a Yoshi to ride, Yoshi rides a somewhat smaller Mario, making everybody uncomfortable.

Mario could say things like, "I now understand your pain"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Mario could say things like, "I now understand your pain"

Yoshi punches Smaller Mario to make him eat things and he says "Mama-mia, noooooo" in a high pitched tone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Yoshi punches Smaller Mario to make him eat things and he says "Mama-mia, noooooo" in a high pitched tone.

Hearing Mario cry while you jump off his back to reach a higher ledge would be the most satisfying experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

These all seem like pretty stupid excuses and they could just use Peach as traditionally designed as one of the 4 characters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zelder posted:

What? A lot of people like Toad! Which is weird, because I've always seen him as super generic.

He's the underdog of the supporting cast, but was honestly my favorite Mario 2 (US) character since he could dig things up super fast and ran really fast.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

He's the underdog of the supporting cast, but was honestly my favorite Mario 2 (US) character since he could dig things up super fast and ran really fast.

Doki Mario 2 was an amazing game. I mean sure, the game was certainly easiest as Luigi or Peach with their floating/Luiggly Legs but once you wanted a challenged, you played as Mario or Toad. I can beat Mario 2 in a single sitting, rarely dying with Luiggly. That's why I prefer the challenge and play as Mario or Toad with limited jumping.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hearing that NSMBU will get a whole new 80 level expansion was a pretty great out-of-nowhere announcement. I wonder if they'll continue putting out more of these as big DLCs over the next few years. We all remarked how launching with NSMBU was a smart move because NSMBWii sold millions over its lifetime and now that NSMBU is out there also selling millions, they can continue moving units and providing DLC content as they develop new Mario titles since they only have to create new levels, not the whole game engine.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FPzero posted:

Hearing that NSMBU will get a whole new 80 level expansion was a pretty great out-of-nowhere announcement. I wonder if they'll continue putting out more of these as big DLCs over the next few years. We all remarked how launching with NSMBU was a smart move because NSMBWii sold millions over its lifetime and now that NSMBU is out there also selling millions, they can continue moving units and providing DLC content as they develop new Mario titles since they only have to create new levels, not the whole game engine.

To bad its single player, they just had to gently caress something up just so we'd know its from Nintendo.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Wii U sold about 55K in the month of January in the US. By comparison, in the January following the Gamecube's release, the GameCube sold 62K.

Edit: Also, the Vita versions of FIFA and Madden outsold their respective Wii U counterparts.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
If you guys were still wondering why Ubisoft and EA are showing... a lack of faith in the Wii U, the NPD numbers for January just came out and the Wii U actually had An Historically Bad Month.

At somewhere in the range of 55k units sold in a rare 5 week month, that makes it the worst month ever for an HD console (the PS3 bottomed out around 80k-ish and the 360 never dropped to 5 digits). Also, this might be the worst first January for a console since the NPD started tracking the numbers (former lowest was the Gamecube at 59k). Here's the rest of the consoles that launched holiday season for comparison:

Gamecube: 59k
Xbox: 127k
DS: 152k
PS3: 244k
PS2: 248k
360: 249k (this one was a 4 week January, unlike the Wii and PS3)
Wii: 435k

tl;dr: If you give a console a confusing name, don't market it, and most importantly don't release any games, no one will buy it. Considering there's nothing going on this month to turn this around, I don't see the numbers bumping up 'til March, which means that Nintendo could very well miss their revised 4 million sales target.

e: Beaten goddamnit.

e2: Is it cynical of me to think Nintendo had the Direct today specifically to deflect attention from this stuff?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 15, 2013

• Locked thread