Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Those dudes surely love their grey, black and blue tones.

I can only hope this is more cohesive than handover. I enjoyed that record, but it didn't have a lasting impression. Still, it was leaps and bounds better than mythmaker. This is probably not a dynamic effort birthed from the studio, which makes me sort of sad. I fear that this album is the culmination of cEVIN having a bunch of OONZT OONZT OONZT CRASH wobble tracks that didn't really fit in with his downTEAU stuff and so he fired them off to ogre to add some growly stream of consciousness. It will probably look and sound pretty, but will there be any meat?

Hopefully they tour. Even with a lackluster album, live Puppy is always good puppy. Everyone should absolutely check out that last live record they released last year.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I thought that Cullorblind and AshAs were amazing, but really didn't find the rest of the last album very exciting at all. Hopefully it means they'll tour the UK again, since they were great when I saw them live last.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I hope that album is gonna be weird as poo poo like hanDover was.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I fear there will be wobbles and sick drops.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. This reflects my confused feelings about new Skinny Puppy: :raise: :fh:

Also check this out:

http://basicunitproductions.bandcamp.com/album/tension-strategies

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Omi-Polari posted:

Hmm. This reflects my confused feelings about new Skinny Puppy: :raise: :fh:

Also check this out:

http://basicunitproductions.bandcamp.com/album/tension-strategies

hey this is niiiiiiiiiiice

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
Reporting in as worst rivethead ever, but holy hell I can't stand Skinny Puppy or Wumpscut and this just confirms it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

leahlionheart posted:

Reporting in as worst rivethead ever, but holy hell I can't stand Skinny Puppy or Wumpscut and this just confirms it.

I find pretty much everything Wumpscut have released since about 1997 to be pretty terrible and only like a few tracks from before that, so yeah.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Like I said, I have mixed feelings. The thing that really turned me off from being a fan to just trying to keep an open mind about them is... how do I say this? They sound way too up their own rear end. And like, weird references to chemtrails, "cryptic lies" and the dangers of usury. Oookay.

And by this I mean the last two albums.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 15, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I want to hear about the Skinny Puppy hate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
A heroin addict protesting the consumption of products that exploit suffering is bloody hilarious. That's all I got.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

I want to hear about the Skinny Puppy hate.

The Process and pretty much everything after that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I find pretty much everything Wumpscut have released since about 1997 to be pretty terrible and only like a few tracks from before that, so yeah.

This is a pretty accurate analysis. I think the last good one was Wreath of Barbs and that already had a bunch of filler crap on it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Remember when cEvin and Ogre released Frozen Sky and everyone was like, gently caress yeah, new Skinny Puppy is going to kick rear end! And then we got.....this.

edit: I'm listening to Handover right now, and I don't know whether this album is way better than I remember it being, or if I ever even bothered listening to it after I bought it. Definitely better than that turd of an album Mythmaker.

edit2: The only good :wumpscut: song is a remixed :wumpscut: song. :colbert:

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 15, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

A heroin addict protesting the consumption of products that exploit suffering is bloody hilarious. That's all I got.

I think Dwayne was the one that loved the H.

Sure the later LP's didn't quite hold up to Last Rights or Too Dark Park, in terms of an immersive layered sound but really what could have? I give them kudos for trying to evolve a sound and try and replicate a past successful record, even if their evolution at times sounded lazy ("Pro-Test") or just plain obnoxious (<stompy track from Mythmaker) they still did some great live stuff after reuniting. The unreleased Vault stuff they did had some real gems on it, and I can find a few tracks from each of the later albums that I actually enjoy.

Frozen Sky was an awesome song though. Oh, what could have been. Handover is pretty OK. I like it well enough, but it sounds disjointed.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Nowadays Evoke is the only :wumpscut: album I can actually listen to. I'm apparently literally the only person who likes that album, but I think it has some lovely sounds and tunes on it, and a fantastic atmosphere. Yeah it's probably not what :W: fans were expecting, but gently caress them, let the guy do what he wants to do, even if it's crap :colbert: :colbert:

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

hatelull posted:

I think Dwayne was the one that loved the H.

Ogre ODed during the recording of Last Rights I think, he was heavily into it.

There's an old legend that part of the soundscapes on Knowhere? is a sample of Ogre ODing in the studio.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Nowadays Evoke is the only :wumpscut: album I can actually listen to. I'm apparently literally the only person who likes that album, but I think it has some lovely sounds and tunes on it, and a fantastic atmosphere. Yeah it's probably not what :W: fans were expecting, but gently caress them, let the guy do what he wants to do, even if it's crap :colbert: :colbert:

It's :w:'s laziest album, which is really saying something. You've got a beat, a lovely synth line, and vocals that sing the synth line exactly. And that's it. Rudy did a few good atmospheric tracks before so it's not like that kind of thing was beyond him, he just didn't try on Evoke. It's also notable that it was the album to kick off his annual release schedule, rather than actually taking some time to produce something good.

As for Skinny Puppy, the only album of theirs that I don't like in some way is Mythmaker. Greater Wrong has really grown on me over the years (I got it signed by Ogre last fall), and Handover is quite solid as well. I'd love to hear an entire album like Frozen Sky, but that's clearly not going to happen and I don't have any problem with where they are now.

Oh, and yeah, Ogre was definitely a fan of heroin. I think he's cleaned up since, and either way I'd think a guy who's had the kind of drug experiences he has is more qualified to talk about "consumption of products that exploit suffering," not less.

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
This has been a great thread for me to expand my horizons, but could your collective industrial/noise/aggrotech/ebm/etc brains pitch in some recommendations?

KMFDM is my favorite. It's probably not good practice to recommend "groups just like KMFDM," because I have a fragile ego and will never like anyone as much as them.
On regular rotation are a lot of the Neue Deutsche Härte groups (Eisbrecher, Oomph!, Parzifal, Tanzwut, Stahlhammer). Also groups like Laibach, Nachtmahr, Xotox, FGFC820, RevCo.

I'm not that into the synth-y EBM, and prefer dirtier beats and elements of metal.

Additionally, more groups like TKK, Lords of Acid, 23 Skidoo? I'm not sure what subgenre this type of music would fall into. I'm not averse to dubsteppy industrial (a la FLA's AirMech album).

And finally, what's the consensus on neofolk/martial industrial like Feindflug, Death in June, Rome, etc.? (Boyd Rice is a sack of untalented poo poo with serious "I hate my parents" issues). What other groups should I check out?

Thanks for dealing with uninformed inquiries; it's a genre I've listened to for well over a decade, but am still exploring -- and have only 'met' similarly inclined people since joining SA.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I was recently introduced to Diskonnekted. I don't think everything they've put out is gold, but they might be worth checking out, leah. edit: Look up Hotel Existence in particular. It's the first album of theirs I've listened to.

Also, I couldn't get into Skinny Puppy for some reason. I've maybe heard one or two tracks I've liked. Maybe I'm just more into the bands that can pull off a chill ambient track now and then, like Haujobb and FLA. :allears:

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 15, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

leahlionheart posted:

This has been a great thread for me to expand my horizons, but could your collective industrial/noise/aggrotech/ebm/etc brains pitch in some recommendations?

KMFDM is my favorite. It's probably not good practice to recommend "groups just like KMFDM," because I have a fragile ego and will never like anyone as much as them.
On regular rotation are a lot of the Neue Deutsche Härte groups (Eisbrecher, Oomph!, Parzifal, Tanzwut, Stahlhammer). Also groups like Laibach, Nachtmahr, Xotox, FGFC820, RevCo.

I'm not that into the synth-y EBM, and prefer dirtier beats and elements of metal

You sir need to check out Battery Cage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEGB6Ndl34
Start with World Wide Wasteland.

Then A Young Person's Guide to Heartbreak is like their magnum opus but it's a bit synthier though still pretty heavy for this sort of music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55XNBOV0bs
Unfortunately my favourite tracks from that album aren't on YouTube though this one is probably more your speed anyway.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 15, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't a recommendation, but in addition to the meteor in Russia, the new Blutengel album also landed today. So... prepare to enter the wild, dark and sexy world of Blutengel!

I love it without shame. Or... is it because of shame that I love Blutengel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oEXQyzyGzI

leahlionheart posted:

And finally, what's the consensus on neofolk/martial industrial like Feindflug, Death in June, Rome, etc.? (Boyd Rice is a sack of untalented poo poo with serious "I hate my parents" issues). What other groups should I check out?
I'd say decide for yourself about those bands. Aside from Boyd Rice sucking, there's no consensus and it gets really thorny and political. I don't really listen to them. Oh, for dirtier-sounding industrial, have you listened to Pakt? You might like them.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Heh, that Blutengel track sounds a lot more poppy than how I remember it! What happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHGCJVw0FQ4

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Entropist posted:

Heh, that Blutengel track sounds a lot more poppy than how I remember it! What happened?
Progress.

:colbert:

:smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 16, 2013

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013
Is it bad that I kind of like Pro-Test? I mean it's nowhere near their best track, but I couldn't help but like it in a sort of so bad it's good kind of way.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Went out in Manchester gay village tonight, stood outside in the smoking area of a club and overhear a guy say he's a sound engineer. In my drunken stooper I start all "oh yeah I do industrial music etc etc" he goes "have you heard of Modulate?" I start gushing about how much I looove Modulate. "I'm the laptop guy in Modulate." :stare: Weirdest loving thing that's ever happened to me.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

My favorite has always been War

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baby Sathanas posted:

Went out in Manchester gay village tonight, stood outside in the smoking area of a club and overhear a guy say he's a sound engineer. In my drunken stooper I start all "oh yeah I do industrial music etc etc" he goes "have you heard of Modulate?" I start gushing about how much I looove Modulate. "I'm the laptop guy in Modulate." :stare: Weirdest loving thing that's ever happened to me.
Nice. I just got back from, bizarrely, a Velvet Acid Christ show in Austin. (Apparently they haven't played live in something like a decade, I heard.)

Noticeable number of gay couples by the way. As a gay guy, I tend to notice this. I'd also say that industrial music fits a gay aesthetic and sensibility of sorts with its emphasis on camp and artifice, though it might not be immediately obvious.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

I'd also say that industrial music fits a gay aesthetic and sensibility of sorts with its emphasis on camp and artifice, though it might not be immediately obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIFJPXkyH7I

Sometimes it's more obvious though :v: (or basically any videos from Familientreffen would do here)

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho

Omi-Polari posted:

Nice. I just got back from, bizarrely, a Velvet Acid Christ show in Austin. (Apparently they haven't played live in something like a decade, I heard.)

Noticeable number of gay couples by the way. As a gay guy, I tend to notice this. I'd also say that industrial music fits a gay aesthetic and sensibility of sorts with its emphasis on camp and artifice, though it might not be immediately obvious.

....or the huge crossover with the BDSM/kink scene, too. Uniforms, blood, violence, etc., as part of the 'industrial aesthetic' appeal to a lot of the marginalized groups.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Sometimes it's more obvious though :v: (or basically any videos from Familientreffen would do here)
It's what attracts me to it. There's a similar kind of aesthetic orientation towards, I don't know, a celebration of artifice and appearance in industrial music that you also see in gay men's music like pop, disco, house music, etc. It's all machine music.

I think a straight male aesthetic would be more inclined towards disavowing an appearance. It's: "What you see is what you get." It's all natural and authentic, baby. I'm thinking of country music singers, a lot of punk musicians, rock stars, and Bruce Springsteen.

But before I came out of the closet, this kind of straight male authenticity was - for me - a fabrication. I tried really hard to be "natural" and failed at it. So I feel that artificial-sounding music is a more authentic reflection of my situation than a Bruce Springsteen is, or some other music that prides itself on being without artificiality. Because I find that incredibly fake.

Deep thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=822fuKljzrw

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

leahlionheart posted:

My consensus: Death in June is some of the most boring music I could possibly imagine. I'd much rather listen to a lot of Boyd Rice's stuff. Neofolk and martial industrial is often bad and lazy. Current 93 is one of the greatest bands in history.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

leahlionheart posted:

Not really helpful, but I don't think there's anyone else as good as Feindflug doing similar stuff. They've carved out their own niche, and most of the imitators are pretty poor.

I'm not into much martial (although Derniere Volonte are definitely worth a try) and really don't like neofolk but some of my friends swing that way and really rate Von Thronstahl and Der Blutharsch (although I think he radically changed style at some point, so it's the earlier stuff you might want to try iirc). Qntal was the only neofolk-tinged act I could ever really listen to much of.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Feindflug is pretty much the epitome and I miss them immensely. :smith:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'm a pretty big Death in June fan. Even if you aren't though, there was a sweet spot between them being a Joy Division style post-punk band and Douglas P. folk singing about runes and poo poo that produced some pretty amazing music. Nada! has this crazy mix of dark 80's synthpop and spaghetti west guitar that is totally unique and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZVFY10Jjr0

Outside of DiJ and Current 93 though, there isn't much in the neofolk bubble that catches my interest outside of the occasional song.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

sethsez posted:

It's :w:'s laziest album, which is really saying something. You've got a beat, a lovely synth line, and vocals that sing the synth line exactly. And that's it. Rudy did a few good atmospheric tracks before so it's not like that kind of thing was beyond him, he just didn't try on Evoke. It's also notable that it was the album to kick off his annual release schedule, rather than actually taking some time to produce something good.

I dunno man, you think Evoke is lazy, I think there's a bordering-on minimalistic feel to it, and minimalism isn't laziness. Bone Peeler already had a similar kind of stripped-down vibe to it, but that album is at least 20 minutes too long and has some truly yawn-inducingly boring poo poo on it. Evoke just goes all out and drops all pretense of trying to be "hard" or violent or evil or whatever :w: had mostly been about before. Also I think Rudy's vocals fit the mellower sound fantastically. It's a pretty experimental album, in a lateral kind of way, in some ways, I think. Maybe it would've been received better were it released under a different name.

Now, for some reason I'm having a hard time expressing myself the way I want to, I've deleted and retyped the following numerous times, but gently caress it, maybe this makes some kind of sense: I don't think Evoke is a "fantastic" album or anything, no, I think it's a good, very underrated album with an interesting atmosphere and some lovely tracks on it. It's also pretty much the only :w: album I can bring myself to listen to nowadays. I usually don't give a goddamn poo poo about what music psychopaths listen to because it's ridiculous and weird and it really has nothing to do with the music and doesn't make the music per se evil (at least usually, for example white power poo poo is a completely different matter), but the one school shooting here in Finland where that loving retard used the username "wumpscut" on the internet and had quotes from tracks like War plastered all over his profiles just ruined :w: completely for me. Yes, I KNOW. It's completely retarded. I know. But listening to :w: stuff nowadays, especially the earlier albums, just gives me an incredibly uneasy feeling. Evoke is, despite all the flak it gets, an alright album and for some reason I don't get that horrible feeling listening to it, so I'll listen to it once in a while. The newer albums don't give me that feeling either, but, y'know, gently caress them :)

Also also also why and how does this video exist:

Blixa Bargeld cooking risotto

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 17, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Covenant is coming to Finland, too :dance: I think they've been here a couple of times, but the last time was in 2008 or so when I wasn't a fan yet.

This is shaping up to be a p. cool year, concert-wise.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 20, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh, back in high school KMFDM used to be my favorite band. I was just on Amazon looking at the new How to Destroy Angels album and in the "customers also bought" row there was a KMFDM album listed that I had never heard of. Apparently it comes out tuesday? I can't even be bothered enough to care. I mean the tracklist

1. KUNST
2. AVE MARIA
3. QUAKE
4. HELLO
5. NEXT BIG THING
6. PUSSY RIOT
7. PSEUDOCIDE
8. ANIMAL OUT
9. ThE MESS YOU MADE
10. I <3 NOT

kind of says it all.

I'm gonna get it anyway, I just know it :(

edit: I didn't mean for this to look like a "hey new album guys" post, but I take the opportunity to whine about current KMFDM when it presents itself.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 20, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Overbite posted:

Ugh, back in high school KMFDM used to be my favorite band. I was just on Amazon looking at the new How to Destroy Angels album and in the "customers also bought" row there was a KMFDM album listed that I had never heard of. Apparently it comes out tuesday? I can't even be bothered enough to care. I mean the tracklist

1. KUNST
2. AVE MARIA
3. QUAKE
4. HELLO
5. NEXT BIG THING
6. PUSSY RIOT
7. PSEUDOCIDE
8. ANIMAL OUT
9. ThE MESS YOU MADE
10. I <3 NOT

kind of says it all.

edit: I didn't mean for this to look like a "hey new album guys" post, but I take the opportunity to whine about current KMFDM when it presents itself.

Yeah I dunno man. It doesn't seem like anyone here is was very interested in that album, not even me, and I was one of the few people here has generally liked all the post-WWIII albums. This time around I just can't bring myself to give the tiniest nugget poo poo. I listened to the samples and yeah, they sound exactly like KMFDM, absolutely nothing more and nothing less, but that's exactly the problem.

I hope Sascha does some OK-ZTEIN-OK material again, that album was pretty fresh. Or maybe another collab, Skold vs KMFDM was loving boss as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho

Overbite posted:

1. KUNST
2. AVE MARIA
3. QUAKE
4. HELLO
5. NEXT BIG THING
6. PUSSY RIOT
7. PSEUDOCIDE
8. ANIMAL OUT
9. ThE MESS YOU MADE
10. I <3 NOT

kind of says it all.

They've been my off and on favorite for like, 10+ years now (since I was but 13!), and honestly, that they're so reliably "good" (some work is amazing and transcendent, but most is just solidly "good") is one of the best parts for me. I'll buy this album, I'll buy some merch, I'll see them in concert, and I know I'll like what they did because I've liked everything they've done, and it's all conceptually continual.

If I want experimental, or genre-bending, or changing, dynamic sounds, there are other places I'll look.