Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WreckSov posted:

Why have I never heard of this before and why are they not making it. Why.

Honda love to pretend they're still the pioneering company willing to push the envelope that they were in the 70s and 80s except now they do it with wooden concept bikes at shows that they would never even consider building.

I'm really struggling to think of the last actually innovative bike they've bought to production - maybe the Fireblade (although arguably that's just a GSXR1100 done right), maybe the RC45. Everything they've done since then has just been following the trends (albeit often doing it better than the opposition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Honda love to pretend they're still the pioneering company willing to push the envelope that they were in the 70s and 80s except now they do it with wooden concept bikes at shows that they would never even consider building.

I'm really struggling to think of the last actually innovative bike they've bought to production - maybe the Fireblade (although arguably that's just a GSXR1100 done right), maybe the RC45. Everything they've done since then has just been following the trends (albeit often doing it better than the opposition).

VFR800/1200 are pretty innovative in that they're touring bikes that don't try to out-bmw bmw. The new NC700 or whatever it is, despite being mind-numbingly boring, is pretty innovative too. Using half a car engine for tractability and economy is a smart move and fairly original.

Also the X11 which is a marvellous (albeit ugly) bike.

I'll grant you, they don't innovate anywhere near as much as Yamaha, who I think of as the most 'alternative' of the japanese brands.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

VFR800/1200 are pretty innovative in that they're touring bikes that don't try to out-bmw bmw. The new NC700 or whatever it is, despite being mind-numbingly boring, is pretty innovative too. Using half a car engine for tractability and economy is a smart move and fairly original.

Also the X11 which is a marvellous (albeit ugly) bike.

I'll grant you, they don't innovate anywhere near as much as Yamaha, who I think of as the most 'alternative' of the japanese brands.

Compare it to stuff like putting turbos on bikes, or oval pistons, or even V4 engines though. These are all things that Honda would just throw out there. Of course it was the last of these (and their tendency to eat themselves alive) that caused the modern, risk-averse Honda.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yamaha and Suzuki probably fill/create the most niches and take the most risks

Honda is basically an accounting firm that makes bikes these days and Kawasaki is basically suzuki but two years later and green

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honda is basically an accounting firm that makes bikes these days and Kawasaki is basically suzuki but two years later and green

Kawasaki has been pushing the electronics aspect hard lately, which is something to give them credit for. I think they were the first of the big 4 to have TC on both their 600s and their literbikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's one of those new innovative inline 4 sport bikes I've been hearing about (but what happens if you slide off the back of the saddle?!)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
:psyduck:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well... to his credit... I haven't seen that before

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Compare it to stuff like putting turbos on bikes, or oval pistons, or even V4 engines though. These are all things that Honda would just throw out there. Of course it was the last of these (and their tendency to eat themselves alive) that caused the modern, risk-averse Honda.

The problem with the motorcycle companies, at least in the US, is that the companies keep trying to innovate and impress motorcyclist. I know that sounds rear end backwards but with the way the motorcycle market keeps shrinking in the US if you're a motorcycle company you gotta stop going after the motorcyclist, you already have that market captured, and motorcycles for them are already almost perfect.

Instead, what these companies need to do is something rear end backwards and counter intuitive to them, they need to start dumbing down motorcycles so that they will appeal to Joe Schmoe car driver. Right now we don't have something we can call the Toyota Prius of motorcycles. I'm not saying it needs to be slow, or be hybrid. But there's not a motorcycle out there that is an appliance. If motorcycle companies want to innovate for the US audience they need to emulate the car experience. That means automatic transmission, built in storage on board, and ergonomics that mimic a car, but that's what Joe Schmoe car driver is used to and is comfortable with. So fullback or at least midback seats for motorcycles need to make a comeback. Even though scooters do almost all of this, it can't be a scooter, because scooters are stigmatized in the US. Also, CVT's still make people uncomfortable, so if this new whizbang motorcycle of the masses has a CVT, it can't feel like one, people bitch about how they feel in a car soooo. Basically a Honda DN-01 that doesn't look so drat ugly, is more comfortable, has more storage, and is cheaper. That would be real innovation from a motorcycle company here.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 14, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the current VFR would have to be considered pretty innovative. They've also been very early adopters of fuel injections on bikes - I think they were the first. They were also the first company to make an aluminum framed dirtbike. I think you'd also have to credit them with game changing sportbikes like the CBR900RR and later bikes that have always been a great mix of track capability and street rideability. The latest CRF has air forks which seems pretty innovative to me.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

clutchpuck posted:

It's one of those new innovative inline 4 sport bikes I've been hearing about (but what happens if you slide off the back of the saddle?!)

I still cannot understand this statement. How many times have you ridden a motorcycle and slid off the back of it? Back fenders are there to keep crap from flying onto your back and into the back of the motor. They are not there to save you when you slide off the back. I'm sure in some freak accident it could possibly happen but it's honestly not something that is probably ever going to happen.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If I hamfist my bike I feel like I'm gonna slide off of it sometimes :ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Valt posted:

I still cannot understand this statement. How many times have you ridden a motorcycle and slid off the back of it? Back fenders are there to keep crap from flying onto your back and into the back of the motor. They are not there to save you when you slide off the back. I'm sure in some freak accident it could possibly happen but it's honestly not something that is probably ever going to happen.

Sorry about your bikes lack of PURE loving TORQUE man.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coredump posted:

The problem with the motorcycle companies, at least in the US, is that the companies keep trying to innovate and impress motorcyclist. I know that sounds rear end backwards but with the way the motorcycle market keeps shrinking in the US if you're a motorcycle company you gotta stop going after the motorcyclist, you already have that market captured, and motorcycles for them are already almost perfect.

Instead, what these companies need to do is something rear end backwards and counter intuitive to them, they need to start dumbing down motorcycles so that they will appeal to Joe Schmoe car driver. Right now we don't have something we can call the Toyota Prius of motorcycles. I'm not saying it needs to be slow, or be hybrid. But there's not a motorcycle out there that is an appliance. If motorcycle companies want to innovate for the US audience they need to emulate the car experience. That means automatic transmission, built in storage on board, and ergonomics that mimic a car, but that's what Joe Schmoe car driver is used to and is comfortable with. So fullback or at least midback seats for motorcycles need to make a comeback. Even though scooters do almost all of this, it can't be a scooter, because scooters are stigmatized in the US. Also, CVT's still make people uncomfortable, so if this new whizbang motorcycle of the masses has a CVT, it can't feel like one, people bitch about how they feel in a car soooo. Basically a Honda DN-01 that doesn't look so drat ugly, is more comfortable, has more storage, and is cheaper. That would be real innovation from a motorcycle company here.

Honda seems to be trying this with the NC700X and this new CTX700: they both use what is supposed to be a very smooth, very efficient parallel twin with optional ABS and a dual-clutch transmission (full automatic mode!) and have storage in the standard gas tank location. Neither are terribly expensive, either. Of course they're still shaped like regular motorcycles, more or less.

If you want a bike that comes closest to the car experience that'd probably be the old BMW C1, which apparently had approval in some European localities to be exempt from helmet requirements. I don't think it was ever officially sold in the US, though, and I'm not sure it was a big seller in Europe, either.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

My dad is convinced that if you crack the throttle too hard on pretty much any sportbike that you'll slide right off the back if you don't hold the handlebars tight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coredump posted:

Instead, what these companies need to do is something rear end backwards and counter intuitive to them, they need to start dumbing down motorcycles so that they will appeal to Joe Schmoe car driver.

I think that's exactly what the F650CS was supposed to be, actually

Forgiving thumper engine, belt drive for little maintenance, upright riding position, storage in the gas tank, interchangeable plastic panels for custom colors and even a CD player. I think it seems like a pretty neato bike, actually. Except it sold poorly and they took it out of production after like three years. Not dumbed down enough?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 14, 2013

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

High Protein posted:

That reminded me of of how my SRX's oil tank (somewhat) mirrored the shape of the frame, so I went looking for a picture and discover that apparently at some point a chunk had fallen out of an intake boot
Actually, one of my SRX 6 boots has the exact same indent. It extends under the clamp, even. I thought it was put there on purpose to clear something on the stock carbs, but mine are from a Raptor 660 and I couldn't be sure.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Valt posted:

I still cannot understand this statement. How many times have you ridden a motorcycle and slid off the back of it?

Me: exactly never. Other folks: it may be an issue.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Accelerate too hard and slide off the back of one of those seats and that won't be the only stressed member.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If you want a bike that comes closest to the car experience that'd probably be the old BMW C1, which apparently had approval in some European localities to be exempt from helmet requirements. I don't think it was ever officially sold in the US, though, and I'm not sure it was a big seller in Europe, either.

They aren't that popular in the UK (though there are 2 that turn up at work in the winter), but on the mainland (I'm basing this on Paris rush hour) they're the commuter's weapon of choice, alongside MP3s variations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

My dad is convinced that if you crack the throttle too hard on pretty much any sportbike that you'll slide right off the back if you don't hold the handlebars tight.

Did you explain legs to him? Also friction?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Waterproof overpants, a seat freshly rained upon and you're only one enthusiastic launch away from sliding right off the back of a 690SMC I tell you what.

EDIT: also one emergency stop away from a crotchful of triple tree...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I refuse to believe you won't 12-o-clock a 690SMC before it slides you off the saddle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it was the oval pistons that were a problem?
The v4 engines are pretty bulletproof with the exception of the earlier ones (not on the VFR) having camshaft oiling problems.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I thought it was the oval pistons that were a problem?
The v4 engines are pretty bulletproof with the exception of the earlier ones (not on the VFR) having camshaft oiling problems.

Yeah that's the ones I mean. Honda pretty much had a corporate nervous breakdown over that (hence the gear-driven cams on the VFR/RVF), hence the cancellation of the NR (well that and the fact it just didn't work as well as they thought it would) and a few other, even weirder projects.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

I refuse to believe you won't 12-o-clock a 690SMC before it slides you off the saddle.

Dry seat and normal trousers? sure.

EDIT: it's specifically *just* after it's rained; like tarmac the oil and grime build up make it like ice for the first few minutes.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 14, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Forgiving thumper engine, belt drive for little maintenance, upright riding position, storage in the gas tank, interchangeable plastic panels for custom colors and even a CD player. I think it seems like a pretty neato bike, actually. Except it sold poorly and they took it out of production after like three years. Not dumbed down enough?

No, just ugly as gently caress. Laymen don't like retarded looking bikes; to someone who doesn't know anything about bikes, appearance sells and noone seems willing to make an appliance-style bike that isn't ugly.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

No, just ugly as gently caress.

Yep. Storage in the gas tank translates to "gaping divot and ugly straps where the gas tank should be"...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I actually don't think it's bad looking at all. It's different, and it may not be your cup of tea, but it's aesthetically tied together and ultimately a very visually complete design. I sure wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All of these things were done for racing series. So was traction control. So was the aluminum frame. So were radial brakes and radial masters. So were USD forks and steering stabilizers. And pretty much every other innovation that wasn't obvious touring stuff like adjustable windscreens and in-dash nav.

WSBK and MotoGP used to let you get away with murder when it came to bike specs. This was great for innovation but meant the company with the deepest R&D pockets could lock up the championship with ease, leading to shallow paddocks and dull races. So they piled on rules to ensure the bikes behaved more and more like each other. This has nearly killed off the V-twin superbike and has basically eliminated any chance for real "wow, never seen that before" design. A modern equivalent of something like an RC30 could never sell enough to justify the R&D cost without a racing pedigree to back it up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

All of these things were done for racing series. So was traction control. So was the aluminum frame. So were radial brakes and radial masters. So were USD forks and steering stabilizers. And pretty much every other innovation that wasn't obvious touring stuff like adjustable windscreens and in-dash nav.

WSBK and MotoGP used to let you get away with murder when it came to bike specs. This was great for innovation but meant the company with the deepest R&D pockets could lock up the championship with ease, leading to shallow paddocks and dull races. So they piled on rules to ensure the bikes behaved more and more like each other. This has nearly killed off the V-twin superbike and has basically eliminated any chance for real "wow, never seen that before" design. A modern equivalent of something like an RC30 could never sell enough to justify the R&D cost without a racing pedigree to back it up.

What about the panigale? Carbon frame, electronic bouncers, offset shock, technology out of the wazoo in general. It's no RC30 but it's a spaceship compared to most other liter bikes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

I've seen the headlight on Spiffness's 690 from behind. So... it's doable.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

That's real cool and I didn't know about that bike. I think to appeal to car drivers more the seat would have to be lower to get over the intimidation of mounting the bike, and a seat back to give more back support.

Basically I think in the US if you want more people on motorcycles the group of people you're gonna pull from is car drivers. So you got to put a car on two wheel basically, as dumb as that sounded coming out of my keyboard. And no Monotracers don't count even though I think they're cool as poo poo.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

front wing flexing posted:

Did you explain legs to him? Also friction?

Yes and he said "Ok" but looked unconvinced.

He used to ride too, but I think he's got the idea that sportbikes literally can slide a person off the back because the seats are small and flat or something.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Maybe he knows someone that ArmorAll'd their seat.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yes and he said "Ok" but looked unconvinced.

He used to ride too, but I think he's got the idea that sportbikes literally can slide a person off the back because the seats are small and flat or something.

I was curious how fast my Pop's FZ1 was so I took it out with the go pro the other day. I also forgot to put my visor down when I launched, so after the 1-2 shift I took my hand off to snap the visor down. He can watch it if he wants :)

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah that's the ones I mean. Honda pretty much had a corporate nervous breakdown over that (hence the gear-driven cams on the VFR/RVF), hence the cancellation of the NR (well that and the fact it just didn't work as well as they thought it would) and a few other, even weirder projects.

I thought the cam problems in the early v-4's was from sticking them in cruisers and then people trying to lug around a high rpm engine like it was a v-twin (oiling system was not designed for that). The gear driven cams in the vfr were because they couldn't get cam chain tensioners figured out. I have some replacement early v4 tensioner springs that are apparently worth their weight in gold now that honda stopped selling them years ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

obso posted:

I thought the cam problems in the early v-4's was from sticking them in cruisers and then people trying to lug around a high rpm engine like it was a v-twin (oiling system was not designed for that).

Pretty much this. Although oil flow was probably insufficient at higher RPMs too. The cause was small oil lines and passages, not an underpowered oil pump.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Found on Reddit: Guy's Valentine is his motorcycle. http://imgur.com/a/4NgWk
I larfed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Pretty much this. Although oil flow was probably insufficient at higher RPMs too. The cause was small oil lines and passages, not an underpowered oil pump.

The funny thing about the chocolate cam engines was that Honda made several cures for the same disease. The problem was, as it seemed, unacceptable camshaft wear. Honda came out with a number of explanations for this, among them being incorrect valve adjustment, improper cam chain tension, soft cam lobes because of a faulty hardening process, and inadequate lubrication. These where all addressed by Honda via revised parts and (in late 1985 IIRC) Honda started with line bored cam bearing surfaces, which is what most people believe cured this once and for all. According to Honda though, all of the previous things contribute to the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

Found on Reddit: Guy's Valentine is his motorcycle. http://imgur.com/a/4NgWk
I larfed.

I thought it was awesome, but too bad about the noob gear.