Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm buying SS2 again as soon as I get home from work, despite the fact that I still have a CD for it in a box somewhere. GoG's version will likely be less of a headache to install on a modern machine anyway, plus I don't have to worry about losing the disc whenever I move. A confession: how much of a giant System Shock nerd am I? My wife got me a kitten one year as a gift, and I named her SHODAN.

Edit: The kitten, not my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wild T posted:

My wife got me a kitten one year as a gift, and I named her SHODAN.
"The canary form is dead, insect. Are you afraid?"

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

The Kins posted:

"The canary form is dead, insect. Are you afraid?"

You move like an insect. You think like an insect. You ARE an insect. There is another who can serve my purpose. Take care not to fall too far out of my favor... patience is not characteristic of a goddess.

I'm pretty sure that is actually how cats think, too.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
If anybody can find confirmation that the coop in this Shock 2 release actually works please post it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

If anybody can find confirmation that the coop in this Shock 2 release actually works please post it.

I haven't tried the GOG release specifically, but it works fine in a disc install with the 2.4 patch applied.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Unfortunately, as one SHODAN-shaped door opens...

quote:

Dear Blood Community:

I just got an unusually short, one sentence e-mail from Atari, letting me know that given the current set of circumstances, they are choosing to decline to proceed.

Obviously, I am disappointed. Particularly given Atari's continued encouragement along with the amount of time, effort and correspondence that I have put into this venture.

The only thing that can be done at this point is to wait and see what happens with ATARI, and hope that they find themselves in a position and mindset to allow my efforts to continue on this matter at a future date.

Tears and Sadness,
Jace Hall

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought whatever incarnation of Atari that exists right now is going bankrupt again.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I saw Atari branded headphones and iphone covers in a Best Buy two days ago. It's pathetic.

So they are just sitting on the Blood IP? Too afraid to give it away because they don't have much else going on?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I thought whatever incarnation of Atari that exists right now is going bankrupt again.
Basically, Atari USA is going bankrupt to get the gently caress away from their incompetent parent company somewhere in Europe (I think it's The Company Formerly Known As Infogrames). I'd imagine they're a wee bit too busy with that right now.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The ROTT 2013 guys just brought on the Brutal Doom guy as "gore expert".

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Bad news about Blood

Motherfucker!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brutal Doom V18 is out now. Weirdly enough, it's the subtle little tweaks that make this one a good step, in my opinion. Better audio levelling so that the point-blank shotgun gibbing sound isn't so piercing, no self-damage from bullet weapons (although energy weapons can still hurt you if you only hit a wall) and so on.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

The Kins posted:

more junk delaying blood-based stuff

Goddamnit Atari, just release the drat source code to this almost sixteen year old game so that someone can create a front-end that allows me to play the thing at large resolutions without any stuttering or frame-rate issues

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 15, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

Brutal Doom V18 is out now. Weirdly enough, it's the subtle little tweaks that make this one a good step, in my opinion. Better audio levelling so that the point-blank shotgun gibbing sound isn't so piercing, no self-damage from bullet weapons (although energy weapons can still hurt you if you only hit a wall) and so on.

The new plasma and flame deaths for lesser enemies are :allears:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Not sure what exactly changed under the hood, but BD v18 seems to play nicer with the pallette tweaks in Back to Saturn X, too. There's still the occasional errant pink pixel, but I'm not noticing nearly as many as before.

I dig the dodge moves that some lower-tier enemies have gained. They do it just often enough for it to be a neat detail, but not enough for it to seem unfair.

Oh, and the bug where corpses would just randomly explode at your feet seems to have been fixed. Combined with the piercing-high volume of the gibbing sound (which downright hurt on my headphones here), it used to startle me something fierce.

All in all, a good update all round.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

Not sure what exactly changed under the hood, but BD v18 seems to play nicer with the pallette tweaks in Back to Saturn X, too. There's still the occasional errant pink pixel, but I'm not noticing nearly as many as before.

I dig the dodge moves that some lower-tier enemies have gained. They do it just often enough for it to be a neat detail, but not enough for it to seem unfair.

Oh, and the bug where corpses would just randomly explode at your feet seems to have been fixed. Combined with the piercing-high volume of the gibbing sound (which downright hurt on my headphones here), it used to startle me something fierce.

All in all, a good update all round.

Yeah, the demonstration videos for dodging enemies seemed really obnoxious because I envisioned them dodging all the time. As it is, it happens infrequently enough that I often forget they can even dodge. Also, I'm really glad they fixed the "coming into contact with corpses occasionally makes them explode into gibs" bug, for the same reasons as you. I can't tell you how many times I've been backtracking through levels, alone, only to have an imp or zombie corpse explode under my feet--always while I'm wearing headphones.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe they could readd it as a feature custom animations of him just stomping the crap out of the corpse?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aside from getting better ports of Blood it'd also be nice to get a current gen sequel (or it'd be a terrible cover shooter).

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Aside from getting better ports of Blood it'd also be nice to get a current gen sequel (or it'd be a terrible cover shooter).

I honestly can't image what a current gen Blood game would look like, true to the original or otherwise.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
How exactly do you install Reelism? I've got everything it asks for including a SVN version of gzdoom. There's no documentation and everywhere I look hurts

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

redmercer posted:

How exactly do you install Reelism? I've got everything it asks for including a SVN version of gzdoom. There's no documentation and everywhere I look hurts

Copy the .wad file into your gzdoom directory, then drag reelism.wad on top of gzdoom.exe to run it.

EDIT: pk7, not wad, same procedure though. Make sure you have doom2.wad in the same directory

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 15, 2013

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

redmercer posted:

The easiest thing is probably to plop it in a folder with GZDoom and Doom2.wad, then click and drag reelism-x2.pk7 onto gzdoom.exe to run it. Presto.

e:beaten

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

redmercer posted:

Drag and drop the .pk7 file onto the gzdoom exe. Select Doom 2 from the drop-down list of wads that come up. Every .wad, .pk3 and .pk7 can be played this way.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Or use one of the launchers linked in the OP. That's what I did.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
You can also launch it through Steam. Just add Reelism as a non-Steam game, go to the game properties, and make the Target "C:\gzdoom\gzdoom.exe (or wherever GZDoom is installed)" -file reelism-x2.pk7. You can do the same with just a regular Windows shortcut, but I kinda like having most/all my gaming stuff launch through Steam. :shobon:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brovstin posted:

I honestly can't image what a current gen Blood game would look like, true to the original or otherwise.

I can, friend. I can.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

The ROTT 2013 guys just brought on the Brutal Doom guy as "gore expert".
According to one of the actual developers (another Zdoom mod alumni, actually!), that's basically a fancy name for "tester that we'll ask about gibs a bit". So I wouldn't worry too much about his sense of, uh, humor getting stuck in there and causing trouble.

Someone made a System Shock 2 thread, so I guess that takes over for more in-depth discussion of that game? I don't know. How can I dare to challenge a perfect, immortal thread? :v: You can still discuss it here, though, it's all good.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Brovstin posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of semi-retconning blood 2 and doing something about Caleb traveling around the to ancient monasteries and newly-formed ghost towns to seal the dimensional rifts, the ones caused by the cabal's meddling in the dark arts which were also releasing abominations into the world

That could also probably work in that whole "the one who binds" thing too I guess

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
What is with the Doom Master Levels, and their creators' fondness for precarious tightrope-walking exercises over inescapable slime/lava pits of death? I've had to reload my game three times on consecutive maps now. :argh:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
For those of you about to embark on SS2 for the first time do not play it co-op. It was designed as a single player experience and the multiplayer was added as a patch at a later date.
It's fun for subsequent playthroughs but it's goofy as hell and pretty much breaks the feeling of isolation of the campaign.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zero Star posted:

What is with the Doom Master Levels, and their creators' fondness for precarious tightrope-walking exercises over inescapable slime/lava pits of death? I've had to reload my game three times on consecutive maps now. :argh:

That was just the fashion for late 1994/early 1995 Doom WAD authors; and the Master Levels are essentially a collection of online/bbs levels that iD liked.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Zero Star posted:

Doom didn't have a jump button, Old-school FPS level design == Jump Puzzles. It was the best they could do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

System Shock 2 has landed at GOG, as previously threatened. :10bux:, 363 MB, soundtrack, pitch document, creepy stuttery lady voice, etc.

Embarrassing Admission Time: I don't really like scary games very much because I'm an enormous puss. Once it's clear what mods this version needs to shine (I know it's been tweaked to run on modern OSes out of the box) I'll slap it in the OP.

Embarrassing Admission Time: I'm also a huge pussy and am not big on scary games. I scream like a girl when things pop out at me. I generally don't like scary movies.

That said, Bioshock may be my favorite game of all time, and I almost didn't play it at first because the Medical Pavilion (first section) was pretty spooky. Ends up the rest of the game was far less spooky, and all together AMAZING. Also, its insanely scary, but Silent Hill 2 is another all time favorite. I can't play it alone at night for long, but whoadamn its good.

So I would say brave through it and play the crap out of System Shock 2 if you haven't yet, you might find its one of your all time favorites even though you hate scary games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kins, I just got a Jackpot in Reelism saying that you'll take my suggestions for the next update or something? I'm often too busy killing/dodging poo poo to read the on-screen text so I have no idea what that was about...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Kins, I just got a Jackpot in Reelism saying that you'll take my suggestions for the next update or something? I'm often too busy killing/dodging poo poo to read the on-screen text so I have no idea what that was about...
It means you get to decide what (within reason) replaces that Jackpot in the next version. If you've got Plat, then PM me your suggestion and I'll see what I can do :)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is there a guide or easy way to bind mouse buttons in Quake 3 Arena? I just bought a Logitech G500 and I'd like for it to recognize more than 3 buttons. There has to be a way, but I can't figure it out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

It means you get to decide what (within reason) replaces that Jackpot in the next version. If you've got Plat, then PM me your suggestion and I'll see what I can do :)

Sure! That sounds neat! I got nothing right now but I'll play a bit more and think about it. Though, it would help to know what Jackpots do and what triggers them. It was the first and only one I experienced :blush:

Now I'm curious: How will you know that future claimants of that Jackpot are being sincere?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

I saw Atari branded headphones and iphone covers in a Best Buy two days ago. It's pathetic.

So they are just sitting on the Blood IP? Too afraid to give it away because they don't have much else going on?

Probably them asking their lawyers, and the lawyers saying no. I'm hoping this is just a management confusion and not them suddenly changing their minds. :smith:

Tried out some Brutal Doom 18. I enjoy hearing corpses squish under feet.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

shyduck posted:

Is there a guide or easy way to bind mouse buttons in Quake 3 Arena? I just bought a Logitech G500 and I'd like for it to recognize more than 3 buttons. There has to be a way, but I can't figure it out.

I'm pretty sure ioquake3 recognizes extra mouse buttons, which is what you should use anyway unless you need to play on a PunkBuster-protected server.

But I always just avoid any such issues by using SetPoint to assign extra mouse buttons to spare keys like insert and delete. IMO any complaints about SetPoint are years out of date by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

I'm pretty sure ioquake3 recognizes extra mouse buttons, which is what you should use anyway unless you need to play on a PunkBuster-protected server.

But I always just avoid any such issues by using SetPoint to assign extra mouse buttons to spare keys like insert and delete. IMO any complaints about SetPoint are years out of date by now.

If your mouse buttons are assigned to generic mouse buttons I thought Q3 just referred to them as button0, button1, etc.

So, bind "button4" "whatever command"