Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Any BMW coding guys in here? I'm looking at the market for e46 tourings and good condition automatic 325iTs are almost half the price of a manual. 6-8k seems to be standard for autos whereas manuals are listed for around 10-12k thanks to rarity. I'm considering hunting down a good auto then pilfering someone's parts car for all the necessary parts (trans, clutch box, flywheel, shifter, etc).

Mechanically I have the know-how, I can pull and install a BMW trans in about a weekends worth of time. The problem is the coding - E46s need some ECU reprogramming to get rid of the auto trans computer and get the clutch switch and DSC working. I just can't make sense of anything I see with google searches with the sea of acronyms. I'm just looking for a basic guide to what software/hardware is required for this kind of thing.

If I lived the the states I'd just have someone do the recoding for me, but there isn't really anyone around and canadian dealers won't touch that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Unless you really want to learn all that poo poo, just call around for a euro shop with an Autologic and they can do it in a couple minutes by pressing one button.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
In a fit of really dumb luck, I'm not going to be getting that last M3 for 6100. The old posting, should anyone want it can be found here. It's in Pittsburgh so I imagine a few of you are nearby.

So this posting came up today, and it's from a nearby [<10 minutes away] used car dealer.

He said it runs well, and while that's dealer speak, if it drives well enough to take home I'll probably be buying it. It's a really disgustingly good deal.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sarcophallus posted:

In a fit of really dumb luck, I'm not going to be getting that last M3 for 6100. The old posting, should anyone want it can be found here. It's in Pittsburgh so I imagine a few of you are nearby.

So this posting came up today, and it's from a nearby [<10 minutes away] used car dealer.

He said it runs well, and while that's dealer speak, if it drives well enough to take home I'll probably be buying it. It's a really disgustingly good deal.

That is a good deal...if it isn't a salvage title. If it isn't, buy it and be ready to put in a couple thousand to have it perfect.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Sarcophallus posted:

It might just be the lighting, but it looks like the lower grille is missing as well as the undertray. Also, at that price and 4 doors, it's probably an automatic. Still probably worth it if the body and interior are clean.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Lowclock posted:

Unless you really want to learn all that poo poo, just call around for a euro shop with an Autologic and they can do it in a couple minutes by pressing one button.

And charge me 600 dollars for it. From what I gather its possible to get full access using a cable and an emulator running on virtual machine. Its just hard to figure out exactly what works and what all the specifics are. I've been reading the diagnostic section on bimmerforums but it already assumes you know what every program does.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

mungtor posted:

It might just be the lighting, but it looks like the lower grille is missing as well as the undertray. Also, at that price and 4 doors, it's probably an automatic. Still probably worth it if the body and interior are clean.

It is an automatic, regrettably, but I'll probably just keep driving on it until the transmission fails and swap it for a manual. Or more likely pay to swap it for a manual. I was told it was just repainted, so I'm a bit more wary of the exterior, but I did get another picture with the grille in.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I was driving through small town Missouri yesterday and spotted a white e36 M3 for sale in front of a garage/used car dealer along side a bunch of pickups. I checked it out, it's a 5-speed with nice Vaders and in pretty decent overall shape. I walked in and asked about it, the guy says "It's a '96, has 118k miles, only problem I know of is the door panels coming apart around the handles. Asking 5 thousand" and hands me the key. It drove great but had a check engine light. The radiator and coolant tank looked excellent, suspension felt good, engine was very quiet, even the OBC worked 100%. It had a Dinan intake which makes me think it was owned by someone who didn't mind throwing money at it which may be a good sign. I told him I'd be back in a few days with cash in hand if he can sort out the check engine light. I'm looking for an autocross/track slut so I don't mind a car that's a little rough around the edges since I'll be overhauling the suspension anyways.

I've got a '92 325i that was my daily driver for several years before being turned into a Chumpcar so I know my way around e36s pretty well.

This will a sound financial decision considering I almost bought an Alfa last week.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Stuff like that is why I carry around an ELM327. Pull the codes right in front of them and harp on about expensive (but not really) repair costs to lowball dumb people.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I dunno about that futuristic OBD-II jibber jabber, I've only owned cars from 1990, 1992 (x2), 1988 (x2), and 1979.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Does anyone know how long KW V3s last before they need refurbing or whatever? A mate is selling a used set with Schirmer springs which is pretty much the ultimate set of coils if I want to spend <£3k. They have been tracked though so I don't want to pick them up and they just be useless after a few weeks. He's only selling because he's a baller with nitrons now.

Hoping this just got lost at the bottom of the last page. Where is E46 M3 suspension crew?!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

User Error posted:

I dunno about that futuristic OBD-II jibber jabber, I've only owned cars from 1990, 1992 (x2), 1988 (x2), and 1979.

If you have an android phone you can use Torque and an ELM327 bluetooth adapter that plugs into the OBD2 diagnostic port. On the e36 it's right above the dead pedal. It lets you pull any check engine codes and gives you a brief description of them. Also does a bunch of other stuff like pull data from any sensor, etc. A must when going to check out used cars post '96 so sellers can't bullshit you.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Too good to be true?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3618492532.html

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Possibly. With a price like that it may well be a salvage title.

It's skirting the line between salvage title price and good price for a good car.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Kenshin posted:

Possibly. With a price like that it may well be a salvage title.

It's skirting the line between salvage title price and good price for a good car.

ad says "clean title" -- it's a pretty easy thing to confirm, unless it's got a branded title in another state i guess.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

Looks like I busted a hose on my way to see a show in Tulsa. Car started overheating while I was idling at a rest stop half way between Tulsa and Stillwater. Got it towed home since I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of loving nowhere, Oklahoma during a lovely night filled with slush and snow. Looks like I saved the headgasket because I was able to drive it to work this morning without it overheating, but I'm still a little worried as to what caused it to overheat in the first place. It could be it was leaking for a while and I just didn't notice it since I don't really drive in stop and go traffic with a lot of idling and my commute is only 20 minutes or so and it just leaked enough to start overheating the car on the trip, but I'm worried about the fan clutch. When they fail completely what happens?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
When my fan clutch failed, it just was engaged the entire time. So at 7k RPM it lost all the blades on the fan and then became extremely unbalanced, requiring replacement.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Hoping this just got lost at the bottom of the last page. Where is E46 M3 suspension crew?!

I can tell you that in general, track miles are much much easier on suspension components then street miles, and if I were buying used suspensions I would greatly prefer to pull a setup from a track car vs. a street car. I can also tell you that the KW V3s have a terrible reputation as a track suspension, but should be cheap to rebuild if necessary (~$150/corner last I checked).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well I don't have to worry about 7K RPM (eta :downs:) at least.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Bank posted:

One of my friends from high school just started working at the local BMW dealership washing cars and giving people rides when they drop off their car for service. I went to visit him during my lunch and he was in the office not chatting, but buying a car.

Given his budget (he's getting paid $15 an hour) I thought he was going to buy an E46, especially since a bunch of us went through the phase, but he ended up buying an E92 M3.

:psyboom:

Maybe the whole M3 buying scene was staged to impresses old high school friends when they visit him at his poo poo job. I'd rather him be incredibly insecure and crazy than that financially stupid.

But part of me is jealous because I don't have the balls to buy an M3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Then you can watch his life spiral down the drain as he can't afford to maintain it.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Even with zero out of pocket you can lease a base E92 M3 for less than $750 a month. He should net around $1800 after taxes per month. Doable. Dumb, but doable.

Also, insurance.

That's not even counting a likely incentivized lease due to being an employee. Friend of mine was a parts counter jockey a number of years ago, and when the E85 chassis Z4s were winding down (2008 or so), employee lease rates were something stupid to the tune of like 169/month for a fully loaded 3.0 car. Figure an outgoing M3 is probably 5-600 for an employee lease, factor 15/hr and a kid living at home with no other bills, and it's easily doable. Hell, go troll around on bimmerforums for a bit and you'll see how common it is.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

In my endless quest to get this piece of poo poo running right, I swapped the turner chipped 173 out of the E30 and replaced it with a stock 380 ECU. Holy crow the difference is night and day. It doesn't idle like poo poo and run pig rich when cold and the drivability is much better. It's still got the miss under load but it's not as pronounced, and there's a vacuum leak somewhere. I think the chip was just compounding the existing problems. I still need to yank hacked together engine harness out and replace it with the clean one I got. It sure was a lot punchier under acceleration with the chip though :(

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Moxie Omen posted:

In my endless quest to get this piece of poo poo running right, I swapped the turner chipped 173 out of the E30 and replaced it with a stock 380 ECU. Holy crow the difference is night and day. It doesn't idle like poo poo and run pig rich when cold and the drivability is much better. It's still got the miss under load but it's not as pronounced, and there's a vacuum leak somewhere. I think the chip was just compounding the existing problems. I still need to yank hacked together engine harness out and replace it with the clean one I got. It sure was a lot punchier under acceleration with the chip though :(

If the turner chip was anything based on the old Conforti builds (likely), then yea, that makes sense. Jim's old chips used to run the car pig rich, makes nice power though. I've got an aggressive conforti chip in a 24v vanos swap car with a straight pipe, and that thing belches flame off throttle.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'd rather not clutter the thread with his bad financial decisions, but the car he got was an 08 with 109k on the ODO. He ended up getting it for $31k OTD which is actually pretty decent, esp. considering we're in CA. The poo poo part is that he is going to be making payments for the next 72 months at 2.9%. No idea how they secured that rate for him, but he'll basically be using his paycheck to pay for the car. Hopefully he realizes that he has to pay for gas and insurance, then sells it.

Though I'm going to try and sneak in some joy rides in the mean time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Stardotstar posted:

I can tell you that in general, track miles are much much easier on suspension components then street miles, and if I were buying used suspensions I would greatly prefer to pull a setup from a track car vs. a street car. I can also tell you that the KW V3s have a terrible reputation as a track suspension, but should be cheap to rebuild if necessary (~$150/corner last I checked).

Terrible reputation how? I thought they were regarded as the absolute bees knees for track cars that needed to be daily driven too?
They were from a car that consistently lapped the ring in the 7s and he had no problems with them.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

ThatCguy posted:

If the turner chip was anything based on the old Conforti builds (likely), then yea, that makes sense. Jim's old chips used to run the car pig rich, makes nice power though. I've got an aggressive conforti chip in a 24v vanos swap car with a straight pipe, and that thing belches flame off throttle.

That'd make sense. I bought an E30 MS3 setup off a guy recently so I'll probably just wind up throwing that on the car and playing around with it once I sort out these other problems.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Moxie, what all do you have to do to convert your car to MS3?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Moxie, what all do you have to do to convert your car to MS3?

From what I've read, '89+ has all the necessary stuff like cam sensor, etc so it's just a matter of wiring the ecu connector to the megasquirt box, T'ing in a vacuum line since MS works off manifold pressure instead of AFM, and whatever wideband O2 controller you're using.

I was actually looking at buying a MSPNP since it's a single plug & play box but stumbled over this MS3 setup with all the connector wiring already done and a wideband controller for less than what the MSPNP alone runs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every few months I get an urge to buy parts to upgrade my E90 328. But then I remember it only has 230 HP and it's an automatic. It will cost way too much to get much more than that. I think I'm going to have to buy a second car to mess with.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

From what I've read, '89+ has all the necessary stuff like cam sensor, etc so it's just a matter of wiring the ecu connector to the megasquirt box, T'ing in a vacuum line since MS works off manifold pressure instead of AFM, and whatever wideband O2 controller you're using.

I was actually looking at buying a MSPNP since it's a single plug & play box but stumbled over this MS3 setup with all the connector wiring already done and a wideband controller for less than what the MSPNP alone runs.

Doesn't seem too bad, I'm interested in converting my car but haven't done enough research to really say much.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho
Rear right shock is leakin', are these a good replacement for the money? (294$ shipped for me if it displays different) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/BMW/318i/Koni/Shock_Absorber_and_Strut_Assembly/1992/Base/4_Cyl_1-dot-8L/W0133-1601803.html?loc=Rear Everything else on the car is stock (92 e36 318i) I'm just going to replace each thing as it breaks with a cooler thing

I'm probably not gonna take the car on a track so it's just for daily drivin

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2013

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Bank posted:

The poo poo part is that he is going to be making payments for the next 72 months at 2.9%. No idea how they secured that rate for him, but he'll basically be using his paycheck to pay for the car. Hopefully he realizes that he has to pay for gas and insurance, then sells it.
They're running some pretty ridiculous rates on CPO (including M) cars right now via BMW FS (0.9% for 36 months, 2.9% for 60 months). They probably can do something similar as an incentive for employees.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I'm thinking about what I should do with the 92 325i auto I bought.

Two issues:
1. It will not shift from first, then wouldn't even give forward motion if the revs went over some number (3K rpm I think). From a bit of research, it could be either fluid change, loose connector, or bad transmission. If I end up keeping it, I would want a manual transmission. Therefore, I am thinking that I should just ditch the auto and just do the swap.

2. The climate control does not work, and the stereo is missing. Not knowing much about these, was there ever a "manual" climate control, where you just set the heat level, fan speed, etc.? I would prefer this over an automatic system that can crap out.

The end goal is to have this as the car I take to autocross and beat on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Terrible reputation how? I thought they were regarded as the absolute bees knees for track cars that needed to be daily driven too?
They were from a car that consistently lapped the ring in the 7s and he had no problems with them.

Im not sure what you want to hear about them but KW's do not have an amazing reputation here in the states. Make sure they don't clunk or have them tested on a shock dyno and then decide.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
This isn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Just need to get an ADS/OBD2 to USB cable and try to get the emulator to work with my 328. Might as well try to figure out why the ABS/TCS lights have been on forever.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 16, 2013

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Crustashio posted:

Just need to get an ADS/OBD2 to USB cable and try to get the emulator to work with my 328. Might as well try to figure out why the ABS/TCS lights have been on forever.

!!! Oh I need to get ALL over this.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Its not really that simple. Apparently due to hardware limitations, it doesn't run on usb->serial connections and needs a serial-> obdII->20 pin connector to really work as well as have a native, hardware serial interface computer side.

Don't tell me that though, I have it installed on an old machine with a hardware serial and it only randomly works. (i.e. won't pull poo poo from my e36s but works perfectly on a buddy's e36/7) :shobon:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Im not sure what you want to hear about them but KW's do not have an amazing reputation here in the states. Make sure they don't clunk or have them tested on a shock dyno and then decide.

I don't want to hear anything. I was wondering what the issue was, quality or ride or reliability or what? I have no emotional involvement in them and just thought a company like schirmer wouldn't bother with something that's poor. I didn't mean to come across as hostile :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Well that's the easy part. You're not even connected to anything!

Crustashio posted:

Unless someone has come up with something new lately, ADS interfaces don't work over USB. I'm not sure if it's switching voltages or their non-standard port implementation or just people using adapters without all the pins populated because I haven't really looked into it, but from all accounts you need real serial hardware with stock interrupts and addresses and everything. I don't know what year your e36 is, but if you have a 20 pin port under the hood, you have to use that instead of OBD2 (which I think means ADS will always work, but check on this for your specific car I guess).