Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lot 49 posted:

I read one of these where someone goes into a sandwich shop and orders a whole bunch of random and esoteric fillings that no regular sandwich shop would ever stock. When they get told the shop doesn't have those ingredients the customer has a meltdown and threatens the sandwich shop worker. But it's okay because the worker is an expert martial artist. And I think it's being told by another worker who is also an expert martial artist.

Was that this thread? I really want to read it again.

Yeah, it was this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501091&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post408966229

My favorite part is that a sandwich with all of those ingredients would probably be loving disgusting. "Give me a sandwich with all your most expensive toppings and I don't care how well any of them go together! :bahgawd:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Lot 49 posted:

I read one of these where someone goes into a sandwich shop and orders a whole bunch of random and esoteric fillings that no regular sandwich shop would ever stock. When they get told the shop doesn't have those ingredients the customer has a meltdown and threatens the sandwich shop worker. But it's okay because the worker is an expert martial artist. And I think it's being told by another worker who is also an expert martial artist.

Was that this thread? I really want to read it again.

It's in here somewhere. I remember the counter lady apologizing that the only thing on the list they actually had was shrimp, of all things. Avocado? Ham? What kind of fancy joint do you think this is?

e,fb

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Flights From Hell posted:

I was on a flight from London Heathrow to JFK in cattle class seats with the surliest bunch of flight attendants it has been my dspleasure to experience. I travel frequently in many parts of the globe, know what a difficult job they can have, and do my best to be a good passenger for them, but this crew had chips on both shoulders.

Nearing the final third of the flight, I needed to use the restroom and got up out of my seat to use the only ones available near the over wing position, when the food trolleys came out. This is usually no problem, I just tell the crew whether or not I want food and that I’ll be right back. Not this time.

“Sir, you’ll have to go sit down, we’re serving food.”

“Sorry? I need the restroom, what does that have to do with anything?”

“We can’t let you by, you’ll have to sit down until we’re done. We’ll only take a few minutes.”

Dark murmurs, but I return to my seat and await the passage of the Holy Food Trolley… which is moving slower than continents drift. Ten minutes pass, 15, 20… and they’re still ten rows away. Both aisles blocked by the slowest food service ever. Now bursting to relieve myself, I get out of my seat, explain my situation as politely as possible and ask to get by.

“I can’t let you do that, we’re serving food!”

“If you don’t let me by, you’ll be mopping up urine!”

“Go sit down please sir.”

“Right, go get the chief flight attendant now – I want a word!”

“I can’t do that, I’m serving food, and he’s on his break in first class.”

“Lady, if you don’t shift your backside out of my way, I’m going to take one of your cups and fill it right here in the aisle. I’m desperate.”

I noticed at this point a woman having the same argument as me with the flight attendant in the starboard aisle, getting even more upset. At this point, even the other passengers are telling these two idiots how unfair they’re being to us.

“Sir, if you don’t sit down, I’m going to get the pilot.”

“Good, do it! At least then you’ll be out of my way and I can go to the restroom!” Big mistake. “I’ll get him – once I’m done serving food!”

Oh sweet Jesus, what is wrong with this woman? There’s no way to get past the trolley and I’m going to wet myself right in front of her any second.

Passengers to the rescue! The people sitting in the aisle seats next to the food trolley, sensing my rising panic, both recline their seats, then stand up and move sideways, allowing me to stand on the armrests and walk around the trolley. This infuriates the flight attendant, who raises her voice and tries to restrain me from doing so for some demented reason, grabbing me by the arm, which I pull from her grasp and bolt towards the restroom, already unzipping as I go, while my fellow passengers are actually applauding!

After the utter bliss of relieving myself, I return to find the trolley still in my way, only in reverse – she STILL hadn’t got back as far as my seat. I stood behind her until she got as far as my seat (about another five minutes – glaciers melt more quickly) and finally sat down again. And guess what happened next? She refused to serve me my tasteless in-flight meal, as I had been “uncooperative” and service was at “her discretion.”

“And complaining and being polite to you is at MY discretion, lady. I suggest you get back here and serve me my food before what’s left of my discretion disappears and you get the one thing you don’t want – my full and undivided attention, both during this flight and afterwards.”

Food served with a grimace and all the grace and charm of a rattlesnake with an infected fang followed, and the rest of the flight passed mercifully quickly. On my way off the aircraft, the lead flight attendant asked “How was your flight?” I replied that, while perhaps not her fault for working with colleagues that had the common sense given to doorknobs, she really needed to get a grip and refresh their interpersonal skills.

The long detailed letter I wrote to American Airlines extracted no more than a form apology letter with no concessions at all, the sort they send out whatever the complaint they receive. I have thus voted with my wallet and gone out of my way to avoid flying with AA ever again.

So much sass!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

hate pants posted:

Siiiiiiiigh. Two things. 1) that is the absolute most annoying customer in the world and 2) never use the word agape.

What if you're talking about the ancient Greek concept of brotherly love?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

You get the impression that he made up the entire story to try and bully AA into giving him free poo poo and they saw right through it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

I like the part where he threatens the attendant with his undivided attention, like he's a tax inspector or, more likely, an absolute murderer.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, it was this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501091&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post408966229

My favorite part is that a sandwich with all of those ingredients would probably be loving disgusting. "Give me a sandwich with all your most expensive toppings and I don't care how well any of them go together! :bahgawd:"

My favorite part is that the sandwich shop has shrimp, but no ham.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

General Panic posted:

:ssh: I don't think the person who wrote that actually has much knowledge of cheese that isn't pre-sliced.

Yeah but who does? If he just wrote the name of some expensive cheese I'd have no idea what he was talking about.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Sorry to post again so soon, but I just read this :stonk:

Flights From Hell posted:

Last year I took Royal Jordanian from Bangkok to Amman and back with a group of my friends. Now, I’ve taken a lot of flights that had issues, but this may genuinely have been the worst one I’ve ever taken. I was on a connecting flight from Singapore and had a 6 hour layover. Not the greatest thing in the world since Suvarnabhumi Airport is kind of tacky, but tolerable. The real problem began in the air. Only two stewardesses spoke English, and even they barely spoke it. Our plane waited for two hours on the ground with no explanation whatsoever given. The stewardesses refused to let anyone go to the bathroom.

When we got in the air, everything went wrong. My seat and the seats of literally every person within 4 rows of mine were broken. The wouldn’t go back, and they had been stripped of padding so that they were just bare canvas stretched over a metal frame. For this 9 hour flight, one movie was shown, which was literally the worst reviewed movie of the year. Admittedly that didn’t matter much, since it was only shown in Arabic with Thai subtitles!

The food was literally inedible. We had a choice between fish and beef. I ordered the beef, but could not eat it. There was literally no meet; just bone and gristle in a watery brown sauce! The fish seemed edible, but my friend and several other people I was travelling with all got food poisoning and later spent the first day in Amman vomiting continuously into their hotel toilets. A few of my friends were vegetarians and had requested a vegetarian meal in advance. However, they were denied this meal because they were told they were out of it. Since those friend’s religion forbid them from eating meat, they went hungry. One of my friends later found out why: he found the stewardesses at the back of the plane, near the lavatory, eating the vegetarian meals!

After our “meals” were served, the stewardesses were very surly about taking the trays, and kept swearing to themselves and smacking the cart. Perhaps as a way of of transferring their “suffering” to us, they arbitrarily banned anyone from putting their trays down. No explanation was given, but defiance was met with angry shouting on their part. I also tried to ask for a drink, but the stewardess told me to shut up and said, “do I look like your maid?” However, all this pales in comparison to what happened when we got over South India.

There we hit a light thunderstorm and the fasten seatbelt signs went on. They stayed on for the next 7 hours, despite there being no turbulence after the first 30 minutes. The flight attendants were extremely strict about this and literally did not let anyone up for any reason whatsoever. This, in spite of the fact that they were freely walking around the plane throughout this ordeal. After 4 hours, many people needed to use the bathroom, but the flight attendants wouldn’t let anyone. They literally screamed at people who stood up to sit down, and swore at some. One German woman across the aisle from me was particularly desperate and tried to make a break for the toilet several times. On the third try, she got desperate enough to ignore their warnings and made a break for it. Big mistake. A stewardess leaped out of her seat and grabbed her around the shoulders and waist, then dragged her back to her seat. In front of the entire cabin, she then berated this poor woman, screaming at the top of her lungs and swearing at her over and over again, calling her a “stupid fisheye” and a whore. The woman was in tears from the humiliation and having to hold her pee, but the stewardess didn’t care. In fact, when she got back to her seat, I saw her pointing at the crying woman and cackling with another stewardess.

The bathrooms continued to be unavailable. The German woman eventually peed herself (a stain was visible on her pants), which made her cry again. Several of my friends had to use the airsick backs to relieve themselves, and I’m sure other people likewise either used the airsick bags or peed themselves. There was no other option; the stewardesses remained extremely forceful in countering any bathroom break attempts. One old German man was shoved very violently back into his seat when he tried to get up. An Indian woman was thrown into her seat so violently that she actually cried out in pain. By this point a lot of children were crying. The stewardesses dealt with this by screaming at them, which only made them cry more, before berating the parents for having “filthy brats.” All the while the stewardesses kept freely walking around, as if to mock the seatbelt sign, and laughing at us when they talked to each other.

About 45 minutes before the flight was due to land, they finally allowed people to use the bathroom. There was literally a stampede as desperate people shoved each other to get there first. However, some immediately ran away from the toilet I got to. I soon found out why; the sink was filled with puke. It smelled like it had been there a while, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it had been from the previous flight. I also ran out of the bathroom and went to the other one on the side of the plane. This had crusted poop smeared on the walls. Still, that was slightly more tolerable than the puke sink, so I quickly did my business and then ran off. Some of the people were so disgusted by this that I saw them racing back to puke into the airsick bags after they used the toilets. All the while the stewardesses were open laughing at us.

The return flight was admittedly better, but check in at Amman was a nightmare. A huge line formed at the counter, and it took 2 hours to process us. When I got to the counter, the agent did not understand that I was taking a connecting flight on a different airline to Singapore, my final destination. He got increasingly angry and accused me of being “a lying Jew,” and called me an infidel several times. He threatened to have me arrested for lying to a government employee, and warned me not to try pulling any “Jew tricks” on him. I was very worried about this prospect, since the police in Jordan are known for torturing people. Eventually, I got lucky and found another ticket agent who was surly, but at least understood that my bag was to be checked through to Singapore.

Moral of the story: Never, ever fly Royal Jordanian. They’re the worst airline I’ve ever taken. If I ever need to go to Jordan, I will literally walk and swim there before I book with them. I advise anyone else to do the same unless they like being in their seat, being assaulted by stewardesses, dangerous food, antisemitism, and threats of torture.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

I will literally walk and swim to my destination before flying Royal Jordanian again. On the return flight,

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Yes! Thank you. It's even better than I remembered:

Customer: “Oh yeah? And who the f*** are you? Another a**hole who’s going to refuse me my food?”

Me: “I was thinking more a black sash in Lethwei, a competitor in both Eskrima and Sambo, and if you’re familiar with the local circuit I’m the latest MMA champion. And yes, I’m refusing your food.”

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

Those stewardesses seem to do a lot of berating and making arbitrary demands despite their lack of english skills, despite it being to my knowledge rather widely spoken in Jordan, does the author speak Arabic?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

jalopybrown posted:

Those stewardesses seem to do a lot of berating and making arbitrary demands despite their lack of english skills, despite it being to my knowledge rather widely spoken in Jordan, does the author speak Arabic?

Maybe he was using a "Jew trick".

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

bringmyfishback posted:

STDH translation: so basically this guy was dissatisfied with his inflight meal and one of the stewardesses gave him a dirty look, maybe. Also he may or may not have a piss fetish.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This morning, a friend from high school unironically posted the "And that student was Albert Einstein" story on Facebook :(

constantIllusion posted:

I love it when racists use "I lost this job/scholarship/college admission due to :siren: AFFIRMATIVE ACTION :siren:" as codespeak for "I blame minorities for the fact I wasn't qualified for this position."
It's even better when you see what Affirmative Action actually entails. We were hiring a couple of years ago and I was on the committee, and we got our instructions from the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission office (we're a state institution,) which amounted to "We ask applicants to state age, gender, ethnicity, and race when they apply, but submitting that information is voluntary. At the time of this job posting, black men are an underrepresented demographic in our workplace. Please document your reasons for deciding whether or not to call each applicant back for an interview, please rate each interviewee's suitability for each of the hiring criteria you specified in the posting, and submit this information to HR. HR will review your recommendations to ensure that fair decisions were made and that candidates were not discriminated against." One candidate stood out as the best and was hired.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

bringmyfishback posted:

There are 8 uses of the word 'literally' in that story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxtEYFYd-MY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GWBBQ posted:

This morning, a friend from high school unironically posted the "And that student was Albert Einstein" story on Facebook :(

It's even better when you see what Affirmative Action actually entails. We were hiring a couple of years ago and I was on the committee, and we got our instructions from the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission office (we're a state institution,) which amounted to "We ask applicants to state age, gender, ethnicity, and race when they apply, but submitting that information is voluntary. At the time of this job posting, black men are an underrepresented demographic in our workplace. Please document your reasons for deciding whether or not to call each applicant back for an interview, please rate each interviewee's suitability for each of the hiring criteria you specified in the posting, and submit this information to HR. HR will review your recommendations to ensure that fair decisions were made and that candidates were not discriminated against." One candidate stood out as the best and was hired.

Yea no one who gets angry about Affirmative Action knows what it is. They think it literally means the government says 'hey, hire black people, ONLY BLACK PEOPLE'. All it is is a safety net so that if some idiot is saying every black applicant is 'under qualified' while all the white ones magically are perfectly fine HR can go 'no this is obviously racist, stop that poo poo Bubba'.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
From the Oscar Pistorius thread.

redreader posted:

When I was about 13, my Xhosa teacher shot someone who was stealing the wheels/tyres (can't remember) off his car. According to him, the man said "I am dying!" and his buddies dragged him into a van and they drove off. He called the cops, and the cops patted him on the back and congratulated him for helping keep the streets clean, or something. South Africa probably changed since I lived there though, that was 1992.

And that teacher....

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Spoilers for Les Miserables.
A screenshot from Tumblr, shared on Facebook, involving people shouting out in a movie theater. WhyIHateTheInternet.jpg

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cptn_dr posted:

A screenshot from Tumblr, shared on Facebook, involving people shouting out in a movie theater. WhyIHateTheInternet.jpg

It's an adaptation of a musical that's thirty years old which is itself an adaptation of a book that's over a hundred years old. Does it really qualify as spoilers?

That is some poo poo that didn't happen, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"What the hell do you mean you don't have borneo boiled broccoli broth?"

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

cptn_dr posted:

It's okay that you're not enough of a Whovian to realise Steven Moffat literally invented the concept of jumping off buildings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quote:

We were watching Troy and when the dudes came out of the wooden horse, a voice behind us shouted "I loving knew it!"

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

After seeing that picture of the Marine outside the school, I got to wondering if there really were any laws against dressing up like a service member and Google turned up these gems from the officer.com forums:

quote:

I ask because last September 11th I was working at a Sprint call center. One of the employees there wore a uniform to work....everyday. Guy was about 22 years old, baby faced and skinny, spiked blonde hair...Basically looked like a college frat ****** bag. Well he wore a Army dress uniform, except it had a mix of Navy, Army, and even Air Force medals and ribbons. He also had conflicting ranks, like a Captains double bar, and a Sergeants chevrons. Nearly everyone knew the guy was a joke and a fraud, but he still wore it in hopes of impressing a girl, and stealing some honor.

Well, just so happens that day an Army Captain returning from Iraq came into the call center. Saw the guy, and his uniform. Asked him what his M.O.S was, and the clown said, "I'm a Sniper, I have 32 confirmed kills."

Needless to say....the clown got thrown through a couple cubicles.

quote:

A couple of weeks ago I was at the mall with my wife and she spotted a young PFC in his Dress Blue "Bravo" Uniform. "Awww, look, hes a cute little guy, remember when you were like that." I just gave her "the look".

I didn't think he was cute, but he was sharp looking, spit polished all dressed up, most likely on his way to conquer some unsuspecting female, what I would have given to be a 19 year old PFC again.

All looked good from my angle, until the little turd reached into his trousers (no they are NOT pants) and pulled out a pack of smokes, lit one up and kept strutting througgh the parking lot. Thats when I felt the burning down in my gut, and it happened.

"HEY DEVIL!" I screamed, gave him the crooked finger point and "the look". He dropped that drat ciggarette, and locked his @$$ at parade rest, until we walked by and went into the mall. Nothing more was said, but he knew he was wrong.

Moral or the story: when you wear a uniform, don't **** it up, and if you "don't pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps" I better not catch your wearing my gear.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

he found the stewardesses at the back of the plane, near the lavatory, eating the vegetarian meals!

This is the best. This and ''HEY DEVIL.''
What does he even mean? You can't smoke if you're a marine?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ravenkult posted:

I was in the army and got out almost 15 years ago, so things might have changed since then, but there was never any regulation against smoking in uniform when I was in. Also, we called them "pants", not trousers. Maybe it is a Marine thing. We used the commands of "At Ease" or "Parade Rest" to go to the position of parade rest. I don't recall reading about the command of "Hey Devil" anywhere in FM 22-5.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

SkunkDuster posted:

After seeing that picture of the Marine outside the school, I got to wondering if there really were any laws against dressing up like a service member and Google turned up these gems from the officer.com forums:

There was a thread quite awhile back about an Army Rangers forum, where all they talked about was kicking the poo poo out of every "Ranger Impostor" they could find. From the way the forum seemed, there are apparently tons of people that love to impersonate Army Rangers. But those guys found them every time. Each story ended with what amounted to felony levels of assault. Plus, the cops would always be ok with it, because they used to be Rangers too.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

ravenkult posted:

Don't know about the smoking, but "devil dog" is a nickname for a Marine.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

ravenkult posted:

If its the same as in the army then you aren't supposed to smoke and walk at the same time In uniform. Still is STDH.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If its the same as in the army then you aren't supposed to smoke and walk at the same time In uniform.
I hope the US Army also has a policy on walking and chewing gum at the same time.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If its the same as in the army then you aren't supposed to smoke and walk at the same time In uniform. Still is STDH.

So if you're in uniform, you may smoke, but only as long as your legs remain stationary? That is really strangely specific. :confused:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Grrl Anachronism posted:

So if you're in uniform, you may smoke, but only as long as your legs remain stationary? That is really strangely specific. :confused:

They were having a serious problem with Groucho Marx impressions.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
Aren't there rules about when and where you can wear your uniform off-base? I know you can wear your dress uniform to weddings and poo poo like that, but wouldn't your superiors frown on just running errands in your uniform?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm pretty sure unless the writer was also in uniform the guy could have just ignored him.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It came from Facebook ... but with the quote "First off the spelling is atrocious. SECOND Bill Gates was the son of a lawyer."
At least I know some sensible people.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

GWBBQ posted:

It came from Facebook ... but with the quote "First off the spelling is atrocious. SECOND Bill Gates was the son of a lawyer."
At least I know some sensible people.

I assume that's an allusion to Jesus? Either way this is one of the more terrible STDH because of the awful spelling and grammar.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

That was clearly written by someone who's never met either variety of rich people. New money are the ones dropping crazy big tips. Inheritors half the time don't tip at all because "I'm already paying the price on the menu, why should I pay extra? :smug:"

Also you'd have to be kind of an rear end in a top hat waiter to complain about a $505 tip. And how did he even know which one tipped more? This story is dumb.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Fascinator posted:

Aren't there rules about when and where you can wear your uniform off-base? I know you can wear your dress uniform to weddings and poo poo like that, but wouldn't your superiors frown on just running errands in your uniform?

The only rules I ever heard was that you couldn't wear it to anywhere in bad tastes like a strip club or a bar. I never tried to wear mine anywhere but to work. They also have a rule about not talking on your cell phone and walking at the same time. There and hundreds of dumb army rules but I don't want to start a derail.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

duralict posted:

Also you'd have to be kind of an rear end in a top hat waiter to complain about a $505 tip. And how did he even know which one tipped more? This story is dumb.

You'd think the Gates wouldn't need to split the check up. Just let bill cover the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I don't even get the message that is trying to convey. If you bring yourself up by the bootstraps into wealth, don't share it?

Also, Bill Gates had really wealthy parents, and he went to Harvard. He's not a rags to riches story in the least. More like a riches to richest ever story.

• Locked thread