Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
If you didn't like the first couple of episodes of comedy bang! bang! I understand. In my opinion the show really hits its stride in episode five. Everything from that is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Magnus Gallant posted:

If you didn't like the first couple of episodes of comedy bang! bang! I understand. In my opinion the show really hits its stride in episode five. Everything from that is gold.

While I enjoyed the show, I can understand how a fan of the podcast may not like it. Maybe it's just me, but for me, almost every episode felt rushed due to the 21 minute constraint. The best part of the podcast is the special guests/characters and the TV show doesn't give them enough time to flourish.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anybody see Safety Not Guaranteed yet?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

I watched it when it was in theaters and liked it a lot. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but it was a fun little flick.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Acrolos posted:

I watched it when it was in theaters and liked it a lot. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but it was a fun little flick.

Pretty much this. Mark Duplass is pretty annoying (as usual) but everybody else is good and it's a cute movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Yeah this was one of my favorite films from the Seattle Film Festival last year. Definitely worth a watch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I liked it way more than I thought I was going to. It's kind a typical indie romantic comedy, but overall it's done right.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

That reminds me of a somewhat obscure movie that I liked quite a bit when I was younger, Love Potion #9. It stars a young Sandra Bullock and is cute and funny until you realize that it's about being able to rape people.

You've Got Mail is my go-to example for a rom-com with a monstrous premise.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I guess Hulu is showing their Criterion films for free this weekend.

http://www.hulu.com/movies/criterion

What should I watch for a more light-hearted chaser after finally watching Eraserhead?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Mescal posted:

I guess Hulu is showing their Criterion films for free this weekend.

http://www.hulu.com/movies/criterion

What should I watch for a more light-hearted chaser after finally watching Eraserhead?

Modern Times or really any Chaplin stuff is hilarious.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was reading about the ABC's of Death and one of the filmmakers made this

Norwegian Ninja
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/176225

Is it any good? I watched the trailer and it looked absurd enough to watch

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Alan Smithee posted:

Norwegian Ninja

How can that not be so terrible it's amazing

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Norwegian Ninja

I didn't like it too much, personally. It had a feel kind of like a more absurd Men Who Stare at Goats, but the humor didn't really do it for me. I honestly don't remember much about it though, as it was a festival showing a few years ago

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Safety Not Guaranteed has the unfortunate side effect of the viewer falling madly into stalker-ish love with Aubrey Plaza.

I watched Teddy Bear last night and I still don't quite know what to think of it. It's a Danish film about a 38 year old bodybuilder who lives with his overbearing mother and longs to make an emotional connection with a woman. He's terribly shy, though, so when his uncle brings home a bride from Thailand, he decides to head there to see if he can do the same.

It's a very glum, monotone movie--and yet I was never bored. If you have patience, it might be worth a watch.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I might have to check out Safety Not Guaranteed with the wife tonight. I keep hearing pretty good things about it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Safety Not Guaranteed has the unfortunate side effect of the viewer falling madly into stalker-ish love with Aubrey Plaza.

Ohhh that movie! Cool I am glad that is on netflix, I wanted to see that.

I already have a non-sexual crush on Aubrey from Parks and Rec, she is awesome.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I watched Whore's Glory the other night. I wanted to chop off my dick when it was over.

It started out sad enough with beautiful Thai hoes who at least had a decent work environment, and ended in Mexico with street urchins, where men pretty much fish the hoes out of dumpsters.

SOOO, whoring ain't easy, and by the end of the film, whoring is godawful and you should be ashamed you want teh sexytime with any woman. TWO THUMBS UP.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Ghost Protocol - it was indeed a lot of fun; pretty much like a tag-team Bond film really. I especially enjoyed that Michael Nyqvist got to play an actual Swede and not a drat German or Russian like poor Peter Stormare always seems to do. We don't sound anything like Germans or Russians! And don't get me started on Vikings with British accents - we raped and pillaged those people; is this their passive-aggressive revenge!? :argh: Anyway, more movies need Swedish terrorists. :sweden:

It was also a reminder that streaming still has a ways to go. I got dumped to SD quality a half-dozen times (FU Comcast) and the color banding during the sandstorm was atrocious. It was also noticeable in several shots that Netflix cropped the movie to 16:9.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So I just watched Safety not Guaranteed. Very cute, I liked it a lot, but it had a really unexpected ending where (vague spoilers)nothing really got resolved but somehow it still felt like a happy and natural ending. Not sure how they managed to pull that off.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
At least one plot point was indisputably resolved. Arguably the most important plot point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was interested to see that Kenneth in SNG is one of the director brothers that did "Jeff, who lives at home".

I found the script better in this one though, and it weirdly seemed a lot more realistic and genuine despite the premise.

Aubrey Plaza is great and while her role was about 90% April from Parks and Rec there were a couple of departures.

I didn't quite catch why Liz and Jeff fell out so quickly though. Did she see him as just having a moment of infatuation due to history, or was it she realized she was someone he figured he would have to settle for because "we're the same age"? Or perhaps a combination thereof?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
What are some awesome Netflix 80s B movies to watch with a group of friends next weekend? Preferably "action" but I'm open to any kind of suggestions.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Xenophon posted:

What are some awesome Netflix 80s B movies to watch with a group of friends next weekend? Preferably "action" but I'm open to any kind of suggestions.

It's from the 70s, but the original Death Wish is up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Death Wish 2 is up. It's basically a B-grade remake of the first one. It's from the 80's. You should also do a search for any Chuck Norris movies. They are usually always B-grade. There's also "Revenge of the Ninja" with Sho Kosugi. That's exactly what you're looking for. Search his name as well for some other corny ninja action movies.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 17, 2013

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Xenophon posted:

The Toxic Avenger is great 80s trash cinema. Cheesy synth score, gratuitous nudity, extreme gore, but it also manages to be a great metaphor for dealing with puberty and coming of age. It's got a wimpy lead character, a police chief who literally acts like a Nazi, and criminals being murdered in creative ways. It's pretty good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai is a great 80's sci fi/action flick that's full of cheese but also a lot of fun.

Commando is cheesy Schwarzenegger action at its finest.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Xenophon posted:

I just watched The Octagon with Chuck Norris a couple weeks ago and fits what you're looking for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I watched "The Perfect Host" starring David Hyde Pierce (Niles from Frasier) and it was somewhat entertaining.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Xenophon posted:

It's not what you're asking for, but HAVE you seen Birdemic yet? Because, it is wonderful with friends.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Steele Justice is the perfect complement to the Octagon if you ask me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

mod sassinator posted:

Commando is cheesy Schwarzenegger action at its finest.

Oh poo poo, forget what I said earlier, watch Commando. It's one of the most absurdly entertaining action movies. Where else can you see Arnold pick up a phone booth, or break into a military surplus store with a bulldozer?

Also, "gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTRblYTevk

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I think a friend and I are about to watch A Talking Cat!?! Anyone have any thoughts on A Talking Cat!?!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
* the answer is no. I am sorry,I've never used WMP.

Femur fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 17, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

moller posted:

I think a friend and I are about to watch A Talking Cat!?! Anyone have any thoughts on A Talking Cat!?!

I just livetweeted it the other night (@alcohollywood if you want to read). Basically, it suffers from the same thing Birdemic does, in that you get the impression the filmmakers didn't really know how human relationships or business actually works, so you get these facsimiles of people pretending to have business ideas that are supposed to be uhh-mazing but are really just vague and strange. The magical talking cat doesn't really do much, and when he does you have no idea what he's doing, and Eric Roberts literally sounds like he recorded his lines over speakerphone to the producers, who then recorded the recording. It's an interesting enough failure.

The MIDI public-domain music will drive you mad, though.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Factor Mystic posted:

At least one plot point was indisputably resolved. Arguably the most important plot point.

Well, I don't mean to be all pedantic and stuff but we don't really know for sure that the time machine worked and they didn't just... set off a mini nuke thing that disintegrated them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

moller posted:

Watching it sure backed up my fears that this was a movie made in 4 days as some sort of scam. I wish I knew how this scam works.
Natural Lighting most the time, imovie title sequence, credits, and the cheapest special effects I have ever seen. No love went into any aspect of this film. Its not even funny bad its just boring as hell. Whats frighting is there seems to be a whole bunch of these added of the past month to netflix.
Jesus look at the director David DeCoteau's page
http://movies.netflix.com/WiRoleDisplay?personid=20000211&locale=en-US
Is this just a simple "filling up walmart" shelves? How does this make money?
Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_DeCoteau Even better, Corman's understudy 25 years 90 pictures. Film, Set, crap.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 17, 2013

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Watching it sure backed up my fears that this was a movie made in 4 days as some sort of scam. I wish I knew how this scam works.
Natural Lighting most the time, imovie title sequence, credits, and the cheapest special effects I have ever seen. No love went into any aspect of this film. Its not even funny bad its just boring as hell. Whats frighting is there seems to be a whole bunch of these added of the past month to netflix.
Jesus look at the director David DeCoteau's page
http://movies.netflix.com/WiRoleDisplay?personid=20000211&locale=en-US
Is this just a simple "filling up walmart" shelves? How does this make money?
Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_DeCoteau Even better, Corman's understudy 25 years 90 pictures. Film, Set, crap.

The Netflix link you posted is awesome. A bunch of crappy horror movies that very few people have ever seen...but buried at the bottom, a cute little puppy. A CHRISTMAS PUPPY!

*Apparently "A Talking Cat" is supposed to be a kids movie as well? The cover art looks like a vampire cat to me.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
A Talking Cat!?! is worth seeing just to witness Eric Roberts' literally phoned in performance. It really sounds like they had one hour of his time, via speakerphone.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Xenophon posted:

Pray for Death - it's "One of the best ninja flix from the 80s". Seriously, watch it!

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Pray_for_Death/70146980?trkid=2361637

Also, I don't remember from going through this thread, but has anyone else watched Chasing the Kidneystone? It's Fantastic Voyage, only batshit insane. I never thought I would see a movie where a little boy stripped down to his underwear and washing himself with a spit gland, all while being inside his grandfather's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! And yes, Commando makes the rounds in our semi-regular Schwarzenegger nights

• Locked thread