Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's totally Coyote laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
While it's obviously Coyote, until we see otherwise I refuse to believe it isn't the Headmaster.

I mean look at those Crow's feet. He is clearly a man who enjoys a good laugh.
And not just old.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 15, 2013

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
You're all wrong; it is clearly Ysengrin. :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Violen posted:

Trying to coax dependable and predictable action out of Coyote feels arrogant and fruitless. So, it's absolutely what the Court is up to.

If nothing else they aren't going to flap him. He cannot be flapped.

He may well play along with their game, though. Tricksters are good at making you think that you're winning.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well this sure as hell is escalating quickly. Monday can't come fast enough.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Yeah Coyote, tell him he's being a boring terrible dumb-head!

Neat find I made is someone animated page 163 and did a nice job at it http://nikolardo.tumblr.com/post/41223592105/so-i-finally-finished-this-thing-a-fanimation-of

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Jones is explicitly calling the headmaster out in front of everyone. Interesting.

She looks like she's speaking quietly to him alone, actually.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Watch Headmaster Llanwellyn start a loving war.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yes, because letting a foreign, rather hostile government pick your emissary for you otherwise they wage war against you is the mark of good leadership...

V Oh. My bad, then.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 15, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, because letting a foreign, rather hostile government pick your emissary for you otherwise they wage war against you is the mark of good leadership...

:ssh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2378

In all seriousness though, I think the Headmaster may have picked a very stupid fight in his desire to regain control over Reynardine. Any goodwill he might have had from Antimony (and possibly some of the Court staff) has to have been seriously curtailed by that suggestion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I doubt he intended that to be taken well. Unless he was going to add "...then we may consider reinstating your visitation rights." Which itself would be pretty unsubtle and just plain look bad. And he knows full well that relinquishing Renard would set him free at any rate, so that was most likely calculated to provoke a specific reaction.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is intentionally creating sympathy for Annie. gently caress, maybe he even wants her to deal with Jeanne or uncover some other Court secret for his own reasons (which may or may not be benevolent).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I can't help but feel that if Annie wants to visit the forest, there isn't a drat thing the Court could do to stop her short of guarding her 24/7.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

As the early chapters show, there is an alarm of some kind. Tripping it deploy instantly 1D1 Jimmy Jims on site. I guess otherwise you'd have a waiting line of kids trying to sneak into the forbidden place.

VV: Well, if it works for Superman, it better works for Jimmy Jims. :allears:

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 15, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
He may want her to visit the Forest "off the radar," although Coyote may extend his own invitation.

I love that this is essentially the Headmaster playing an 11-dimensional chess tournament :tinfoil:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Actually, now that I think about it... What happens if someone triggers that alarm and Jimmy Jims is teaching a lesson? Does he just stop and get changed into his dragonslayer outfit? Does he spend all his time while not teaching in that outfit, waiting for someone to break the rules/try to cross the bridge?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I can't help but think that Anthony Carver is involved in this somehow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I doubt he intended that to be taken well. Unless he was going to add "...then we may consider reinstating your visitation rights." Which itself would be pretty unsubtle and just plain look bad. And he knows full well that relinquishing Renard would set him free at any rate, so that was most likely calculated to provoke a specific reaction.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is intentionally creating sympathy for Annie. gently caress, maybe he even wants her to deal with Jeanne or uncover some other Court secret for his own reasons (which may or may not be benevolent).

He's not. This is a snub, and a scheme, and it's become gradually more obvious over the last half-dozen strips.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Conot posted:

Actually, now that I think about it... What happens if someone triggers that alarm and Jimmy Jims is teaching a lesson? Does he just stop and get changed into his dragonslayer outfit? Does he spend all his time while not teaching in that outfit, waiting for someone to break the rules/try to cross the bridge?

He just responds in his regular clothes:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=115
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=808

Presumably if he's in a class he's like "scuse me kids" and then jumps or teleports to the bridge.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Oxxidation posted:

He's not. This is a snub, and a scheme, and it's become gradually more obvious over the last half-dozen strips.

Annie has outright told Rey he can go back to the forest if he wants. If the court has the kids' rooms bugged (it would shock me if they didn't) then they'd know this and desperately want to regain control of him. If they don't control Annie they sure as hell don't control Rey.

That said I'm not sure they'd think it would be this easy to get Annie to just hand him over so there must be more to where the headmaster's headed with this.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Guys, don't you know your onomatopoetic laughter? Clearly this is Wario.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Niton posted:

Watch Headmaster Llanwellyn start a loving war.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me. The general feel of the story seems to me to be escalating. But I've definitely gotten this feeling before in Gunnerkrigg only to be incorrect. I love the unpredictability of GC. :swoon:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Angry Renard is so cute. :3:

But yeah the Headmaster is def. trying to stir up some poo poo but you can't teach new tricks to an old coyote.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Reynard is such as an awesome character and I love the way he's bonded with Annie so much without any suggestion there's any sort of weird issues about her mother. He pretty obviously likes her because of who she is.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe the headmaster is the kind of person who yawns when he's nervous.

Or he just doesn't give any fucks.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe the headmaster is the kind of person who yawns when he's nervous.

Or he just doesn't give any fucks.

Jones is a vampire, and the headmaster is her thrall. She was especially hungry, is all :drac:.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Has the headmaster been named before? "Jonathan" rings a bell for some reason.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
From here?

e:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 15, 2013

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Iceclaw posted:

As the early chapters show, there is an alarm of some kind. Tripping it deploy instantly 1D1 Jimmy Jims on site.

Yeah, but that didn't stop Annie last time, and I have no doubt that if she wants to go to the forest, she will.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Is Anthony Carver on good terms with the court or not? That's one thing I never really figured out, or at least I forgot.

I'm hopeless at guessing which way things will go in GK, but it'd be interesting if this is all some favor to Anthony. Indications are he was trying to kill/depower the flame elemental in Annie before, so I wonder if that's hinting at a greater dislike of the forest from his end.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VictorGrunn posted:

Is Anthony Carver on good terms with the court or not?

Anthony Carver is not really the kind of guys who is on good terms with anyone.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Has the headmaster been named before? "Jonathan" rings a bell for some reason.

Wasn't he in the same class as Jimmy Jims and the rest?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

I just noticed the headmaster seems to be way more enthusiastic in his office than he is in public. Not much, but at least he doesn't look like he's about to fall asleep.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Anoia posted:

Wasn't he in the same class as Jimmy Jims and the rest?

If he was, it wasn't mentioned in Ties - that was Jack's dad, an all-round jerk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

horriblePencilist posted:

I just noticed the headmaster seems to be way more enthusiastic in his office than he is in public. Not much, but at least he doesn't look like he's about to fall asleep.

That's because his behavior in the Court-Forest meetings is an act. This was established right after the first meeting, both sides posture at each other a lot, the Forest (or at least Ysengrin) acting all fierce and the Court pretending it doesn't care about a bunch of stupid animals. Which is another reason this is definitely some sort of power play or scheme on the headmaster's part.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Roland Jones posted:

That's because his behavior in the Court-Forest meetings is an act. This was established right after the first meeting, both sides posture at each other a lot, the Forest (or at least Ysengrin) acting all fierce and the Court pretending it doesn't care about a bunch of stupid animals. Which is another reason this is definitely some sort of power play or scheme on the headmaster's part.

The Forest likes Annie? Well they can't HAVE HER.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
It occurs to me that if someone is exceedingly capable, then giving them an official position isn't necessarily beneficial if you want them to do unofficial things.

Also consider the very public nature of this nomination and the very public drama -- you have to think about who's in the room seeing all this.

There's a game being played here.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, but that didn't stop Annie last time, and I have no doubt that if she wants to go to the forest, she will.

Well, he'd have catched her if she was just running down the bridge. Consider how long her little talk with Robot is, and how long the bridge is, he would have caught up with her.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I hope Coyote goes and says that he wants Renyardine to be his medium to the court, with Annie as his guardian :haw:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Thank you all for introducing me to the fantastic trip that is Gunnerkrigg Court.

I have a feeling that Coyote will appoint Annie as the forest's liaison to the Court. The Court may send whomever they wish to deliver a message, but the forest will only acknowledge and reply to messages delivered by Annie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Coasterphreak posted:

Thank you all for introducing me to the fantastic trip that is Gunnerkrigg Court.

I have a feeling that Coyote will appoint Annie as the forest's liaison to the Court. The Court may send whomever they wish to deliver a message, but the forest will only acknowledge and reply to messages delivered by Annie.

He may just settle for laughing in the headmaster's face over how transparent this scheme is, mock him for being so completely out of touch with just about everything, then turn to the former candidates and be like, "Remember this day well, kids! This is how little the Court thinks of you!"

Planting seeds, as it were.