Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

outlier posted:

We'd had a few Twitter and Facebook clients mentioned here, but I'm looking for ones with a few specific features:

* Twitter: I'd really like to be able to kill particular hashtags. I follow a bunch of colleagues who go to conferences and then fill their twitter-stream with "the coffee is really bad" / "I'm in the upper hall, where are you" / "hey lets hit that cool bar after this talk".

* I've gotten annoyed at the official Facebook client pushing ads in my face and repeatedly asking if I want it to search my address book so "I can find other friends". But I'm an active member of several Facebook groups and some of the clients I've looked at seem to either ignore groups or handle them poorly.

Options?

For Twitter I know that Plume and Falcon Pro actually mute hashtags so those should do it for you. Facebook if you're really into using groups and stuff you could try FriendCaster but I know non-official FB clients don't show everything on them so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/13/google-has-effectively-killed-adblock-plus-in-android-4-2-2/

Looks like a change in how Android uses proxies in 4.2.2 has effectively killed AdBlock Plus for anyone using the new update.

However, this only affects GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 (and eventually the Nexus 4) so it's not a huge problem as there's a work around (http://adblockplus.org/en/android-config-samsung-galaxy-s3) and there's time for the devs to make it work before more phones get 4.2.2 (quite a few months of time :v:)

It also fixed a pretty big security hole, for that matter. Adblockers that work by modifying the hosts file (and thus requiring root) still work.

Also, there's an update to Whatsapp (with changes to the UI) that hasn't made it to the Play Store yet: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

i barely GNU her! posted:

The GMail app only connects to - wait for it - GMail accounts. The Android email app connects to everything else (POP, IMAP, Exchange). Touchdown is also fairly popular for Exchange.

Huh...welp, my mistake! I only use my GMail app for my GMail, so I just assumed it did other stuff.

Question:

Is there a way to make a Nova Dock Swipe compose a new Google Voice message? I remember I could do it on Launcher Pro, but I don't see the option in Nova. At least, I don't think...the app-specific actions on Nova aren't very straightforward:

But near as I can tell, none of those options will start composing a new Voice text.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
An iphone friend of mine was showing off Lightt this weekend and I must say I was impressed. Is there anything similar for Android? It records short, choppy animated GIFs and then lets you string them together, creating a cool looking highlight reel of an evening, trip, etc.

Unrelated issue: Google Navigation has stopped auto-rotating the map to face the direction I'm currently driving. It just stays in the default orientation like Maps does. This seemed to just start happening out of the blue one day and I can't seem to find any setting to bring back the auto-rotate functionality. Any ideas?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Badly Jester posted:

It also fixed a pretty big security hole, for that matter. Adblockers that work by modifying the hosts file (and thus requiring root) still work.

Also, there's an update to Whatsapp (with changes to the UI) that hasn't made it to the Play Store yet: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/
Things that require root are not really security holes. You can do a lot of things with root. Don't root your phone if you are scared of that.

Splinter posted:

Unrelated issue: Google Navigation has stopped auto-rotating the map to face the direction I'm currently driving. It just stays in the default orientation like Maps does. This seemed to just start happening out of the blue one day and I can't seem to find any setting to bring back the auto-rotate functionality. Any ideas?
Tap on the compass.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...welp, my mistake! I only use my GMail app for my GMail, so I just assumed it did other stuff.

Question:

Is there a way to make a Nova Dock Swipe compose a new Google Voice message? I remember I could do it on Launcher Pro, but I don't see the option in Nova. At least, I don't think...the app-specific actions on Nova aren't very straightforward:

But near as I can tell, none of those options will start composing a new Voice text.

Total shot in the dark here, but that looks like it's just listing all the internal activities for each app (basically the gubbins that the app calls within itself to handle various tasks), so is there another section called Intents? That's what Android uses for 'hey I want to do a thing, which apps can handle it?'

From here:

quote:

The way I know to do it is using the Send Intent action (under Misc). For Send Intent, set the Action field to "android.intent.action.SENDTO", the Data field to "smsto:5550199", and set the Target pulldown to Activity. Make sure you don't use any quotation marks, and replace "5550199" with whatever number you like.

That's for Tasker, but maybe you can find some way of applying that intent (android.intent.action.SENDTO) to the Voice activity, or one of the others - like selecting it to open with this intent and this data. I've never used Nova or anything like this so I'm going for generic clues here

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Tunga posted:

Tap on the compass.
You're the best. Thank you!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Tunga posted:

Things that require root are not really security holes. You can do a lot of things with root. Don't root your phone if you are scared of that.

Tap on the compass.

Not sure what you're trying to tell me here, as "apps that require root are security holes" is not what I said, at all.

Ah, no worries. I sometimes can't read either :ssh:
vvvvv

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 14, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Badly Jester posted:

Not sure what you're trying to tell me here, as "apps that require root are security holes" is not what I said, at all.
My bad, I apparently read the word "fixed" as something that means the opposite of "fixed".

On the plus side, I am apparently the best, so I'm going to call that post a draw.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

outlier posted:

* Twitter: I'd really like to be able to kill particular hashtags. I follow a bunch of colleagues who go to conferences and then fill their twitter-stream with "the coffee is really bad" / "I'm in the upper hall, where are you" / "hey lets hit that cool bar after this talk".

I use Tweetings. You can filter tags, people, or even specific Twitter clients.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
I should also ask, is there a wireless tether app that works on jellybean devices yet? Last i checked a few months back, foxfi didnt work the the android update.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

couldcareless posted:

Is there something that's a little uhhh...free-er than Touchdown? $20 is a bit steep

The reason it's worth paying for Touchdown (if you're connecting to your corporate Exchange server anyway) is that it isolates the Exchange device administration functions from the rest of your phone. Most significantly, if you're connected to an Exchange server using the built-in Exchange account functionality in Android and the server admin executes a remote wipe, your phone is wiped out. If you're connected using Touchdown all that happens is that the Touchdown data gets wiped out.

I would never use my phone for a BYOD setup anyway, but if you must do that then $20 for not having your phone wiped out by someone from head office who isn't accountable to you and gives precisely zero fucks about your family photos he just nuked is well worth it imo.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Edit: Nevermind

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

i barely GNU her! posted:

The GMail app only connects to - wait for it - GMail accounts. The Android email app connects to everything else (POP, IMAP, Exchange). Touchdown is also fairly popular for Exchange.

The Android email app is really terribly bare-boned and the lack of functionality (when compared to the GMail app at least) really drove me away. If anyone can recommend something they use on a regular basis and enjoy it'd be most appreciated.

[E] Missed the above. Will give Touchdown a go!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cragz posted:

The Android email app is really terribly bare-boned and the lack of functionality (when compared to the GMail app at least) really drove me away. If anyone can recommend something they use on a regular basis and enjoy it'd be most appreciated.
What is missing from stock Android Email? The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't display notifications from sub-folders. I've had no issues with it in general.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah stock 4.0+ Email is great! K-9 is also there. Touchdown looks like a piece of poo poo.

e: Also holy poo poo DashLock is quality. It needs a separate widget for the launcher so I can use it all the time, but what great work.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 14, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gyshall posted:

Yeah stock 4.0+ Email is great! K-9 is also there. Touchdown looks like a piece of poo poo.

e: Also holy poo poo DashLock is quality. It needs a separate widget for the launcher so I can use it all the time, but what great work.

Touchdown might look like poo poo, but it's the only way I know of to keep your corporate office from mandating 16 character passwords and having remote wipe capabilities for your entire phone.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011
Who's bright idea was it for the Gmail app to not be able to attach files (other than pics and video)?? I know you just need to download a file explorer to make it work but what the hell?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

rolleyes posted:

The reason it's worth paying for Touchdown (if you're connecting to your corporate Exchange server anyway) is that it isolates the Exchange device administration functions from the rest of your phone. Most significantly, if you're connected to an Exchange server using the built-in Exchange account functionality in Android and the server admin executes a remote wipe, your phone is wiped out. If you're connected using Touchdown all that happens is that the Touchdown data gets wiped out.

I would never use my phone for a BYOD setup anyway, but if you must do that then $20 for not having your phone wiped out by someone from head office who isn't accountable to you and gives precisely zero fucks about your family photos he just nuked is well worth it imo.

Considering I'm the person that would be called to press that button to wipe the device, that's not too appealing, I'll settle for stock I suppose.

Another request, when I had my iphone, I was able to use a jailbreak tool called activator that allowed me to re-map the physical buttons on the device to different functions depending on the situation. I don't need anything that complex for this, I mostly just want something that will allow me to use a short hold on the volume buttons to go forward or back in google music. This was great for skipping a track while driving without having to look down. Is there anything that can reproduce this functionality?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crooz posted:

Who's bright idea was it for the Gmail app to not be able to attach files (other than pics and video)?? I know you just need to download a file explorer to make it work but what the hell?
Google's belief is that you should never ever need a file manager on your phone and to be honest that's perfectly true for the typical user. Where would these files be coming from? The internet? Send the link instead. But the option to install one is there if you need it. I think it's a perfectly good model.

Edit:

couldcareless posted:

I mostly just want something that will allow me to use a short hold on the volume buttons to go forward or back in google music. This was great for skipping a track while driving without having to look down. Is there anything that can reproduce this functionality?
This is built into CM and probably most other ROMs. I don't think it's possible on stock without a framework mod. I have no idea for the SGS3 specifically.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 14, 2013

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Got a few questions about different apps.

- I'm using Llama to do power controls. I setup one so that when it is being charged by USB/outlet it sets screen timeout to 2 minutes and when unplugged it changes it to 15 seconds. It doesn't seem to work most of the time and sometimes when I unplug my phone it's left with the screen just continuously on. If I use the default power toggles that come with the S2 I can reset it. What is this?

- Also for Llama, what is the reasoning for not being able to toggle 3G? I want to turn off 3G/4G when I am on wireless but I can only turn off 4G.

- Is there a similar way to do voice control like the Galaxy Nexus? I would prefer to just click the app button once and start recording instead of having to press once to open, once to record, and once to stop recording. Also, when I try and do "Set alarm for 8:30am" instead of setting the alarm automatically it'll open the alarm app up, set the time to 8:30 but won't change am/pm or the date of the alarm.

- Is there a Gmail app that allows you to move items into another folder? It seems like the Gmail app from Google only allows you to apply labels.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tunga posted:

Google's belief is that you should never ever need a file manager on your phone and to be honest that's perfectly true for the typical user. Where would these files be coming from? The internet? Send the link instead. But the option to install one is there if you need it. I think it's a perfectly good model.
Also the send-to/share functionality is fantastic and leagues beyond iOS. Or at least it was... don't know if Apple's done anything to make cross-app access less of a pain in the rear end recently.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Also the send-to/share functionality is fantastic and leagues beyond iOS. Or at least it was... don't know if Apple's done anything to make cross-app access less of a pain in the rear end recently.

After using my boyfriend's iPod, I can safely say that they haven't made it any less painful. You can only really share to Twitter and I think Facebook. That's really about it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to type in the log-on password for a locked Windows machine? I usually put my computer to sleep manually so that when I send a WOL packet from Unified Remote it turns right no, but if I forget and it goes to sleep by itself, I can't log on and do anything without going up into the loft where my computer is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-going-on-here/

Apparently, weird things are happening to the Google+ APK.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-going-on-here/

Apparently, weird things are happening to the Google+ APK.

With regard to it coming and going, makes me think they're dogfooding stuff in advance of public release at I/O and they have different testing phases where they're swapping changes in?

Wouldn't be the first time they've buried features in there in the months leading up to a big reveal. I assume they've got this in there because it's enabled for whatever anointed users at Google who are allowed to test.

I wonder if the Apps management part ties into what can write to your stream as a "Moment." They talked about it at I/O and then it didn't really go anywhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

huhu posted:

- Is there a Gmail app that allows you to move items into another folder? It seems like the Gmail app from Google only allows you to apply labels.

Labels are Gmails version of folders.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

dissss posted:

Labels are Gmails version of folders.

In gmail.com there are two options
1) Label as:
2) Move to:

Unless I'm missing something, Gmail app only allows you to do 1. I want to do 2.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

1) Label as:
2) Move to:

Unless I'm missing something, Gmail app only allows you to do 1. I want to do 2.
I thought you could drag and drop to a folder?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

huhu posted:

1) Label as:
2) Move to:

Just untick the "Inbox" label when you go to add the other one. You can have more than one label per conversation, and adding one doesn't automatically remove the others (which includes Inbox).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Move to is equivalent to adding that label. The only difference is if you are in the Inbox, it also archives the message (removes the inbox label).

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
I used Touchdown for a little while for my corp email and I noticed one of it's permissions was to keep the phone awake (screen on). I noticed this after seeing that my batter was draining a ton and did a few experiments. If I used my phone for anything besides email it would just stay on and not automatically dim out/turn off. Yeah, I could manually hit the power switch but for an email app to have that kind permission, I uninstalled it and am using stock now.

Onosy
Oct 2, 2002

I owe wtfd00d 10 bux lol~!!1
Hey guys, I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to ask. On my old atrix 2, I used Easy Downloader all the time to save movies and the such off various websites. I loved it, but it was add-laden and who knows what back doors it opened. I recently picked up an S3 and I love it, but I'm looking for another program to do this same function. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: upon looking in the app store, I've found a few that will do the same thing, I'm just looking for someone to recommend the best

Onosy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 15, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The GMail paradigm for email is so much nicer than the Outlook (and everything else, really) paradigm. Once I started thinking of email as having labels/attributes/tags and stopped thinking of "where" it is it really made using email so much more pleasant.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Falcon Pro updated to support Dash Clock. Looks like its starting to catch on

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Anyone have any issues with Unified Remote just sporadically not responding? Like, sometimes it I can't use the basic mouse control unless I go manually move my mouse around first, then it will start responding. Or sometimes the app won't respond to anything until I pull up its settings on my PC (and don't change anything, just open the window). Stuff like that. It's really annoying, and renders the app pretty much useless.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there an app that will allow me to put a pin/pattern/whatever lock on my phone, but only when I use the widget/whatever to lock it? I want to be able to hit the power button and use my normal lockscreen (slider) but use the app to actually put a lock on it.

Switchpro widget has a toggle for the lock pattern. Not sure of any other app options.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone here got experience with London/UK transport apps, I've tried out a few crap ones, but there must be something nice that can work offline. A good fitness/running app would be nice as well, I used to use iFitness on my iPhone which was pretty good.

Has someone actually created a list of must have Android apps in this thread? The OP is looking a little sparse.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 15, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

Has anyone here got experience with London/UK transport apps, I've tried out a few crap ones, but there must be something nice that can work offline. A good fitness/running app would be nice as well, I used to use iFitness on my iPhone which was pretty good.

I use this one. It has offline routing (which to be honest I don't really ever need, but I have used it a couple of times to see which route it thinks is quickest), carriage/exit positioning (not accurate in every case but usually is), and live line status and departure boards pulled from the TfL website. The latter accounts for probably 90% of my use of the app.

For National Rail I use this. I don't need it very often but it works when I do. It often has platform numbers before the station boards do, although they do occasionally change so be aware.

There's also a London Bus app. I have it installed and it seems to work but it's super rare that I ever use busses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Sri.Theo posted:

Has anyone here got experience with London/UK transport apps, I've tried out a few crap ones, but there must be something nice that can work offline.

I've had good luck with Bus Guru (just for buses obviously) and my partner swears by the National Rail for getting back to London from in the middle of nowhere.

• Locked thread