Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just remember even after you have the baby, you might be in maternity clothes for a little bit still. I'm still wearing some of mine 2 1/2 months later. I gained about 40 pounds total during my pregnancy. Only about 8 more to go. :argh: I still have a bit of a stretched stomach, but its slowly shrinking. If that would go away I'd feel a lot better about my looks. I put on one of my pre pregnancy fitted t-shirts recently to see how I'd look and I still look like I'm pregnant a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Alterian posted:

Just remember even after you have the baby, you might be in maternity clothes for a little bit still. I'm still wearing some of mine 2 1/2 months later. I gained about 40 pounds total during my pregnancy. Only about 8 more to go. :argh: I still have a bit of a stretched stomach, but its slowly shrinking. If that would go away I'd feel a lot better about my looks. I put on one of my pre pregnancy fitted t-shirts recently to see how I'd look and I still look like I'm pregnant a bit.

I'm 12 weeks post partum (about to make the switch to the parenting thread) and I am still wearing my Old Navy maternity leggings and long tunics. I've been back to my pre-preg weight for a while but these things are so drat comfy and basic enough to easily accessorize. Also, I recommend getting some leggings without the stretchy full belly. I hated that toward the end of my preg. I prefer the low cut leggings that fell under my belly (and now cover it).

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

"It doesn't work like a scuba tank, rear end in a top hat."

Man, it's good to laugh in the morning. Also, CS, that's some heavy news — I'm happy that your wiggly baby is dancing up a storm. Be well, lady.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer posted:

The missus is carrying her "morning sickness" throughout the entire day. She's fortunate to have not thrown up (yet), but we're running out of tolerable foods. She is incredibly sensitive to taste and smell, and even something like lemon-peppered tilapia is too spiced for her. She's particularly grossed out by meat.
She's been inclined to extreme motion sickness, which we hear makes you more sensitive to morning sickness. Truth?

What's the wisdom around some good, mild foods to eat? Any meat recommendations? We've got to mix this up a little bit, otherwise I'm afraid our baby will come out all goony and pizza-obsessed :ohdear:

Self quote. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
To follow up, today the doctor said not really to worry about it, and just to make sure you eat enough. It can be anything, really, so long as it's not on the blacklist (high mercury fish, cold deli meats, etc.)
So that's encouraging.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
She may just have to find out what foods don't make her gag. I had awful morning sickness for 3 months and lived off of red grapes, dry Cheerios, mashed potatoes, buttered noodles, and mint tea. I didn't gain any weight but I certainly made up for it in the glorious second trimester.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Alterian posted:

I'm 3 months PP and still wearing my maternity pants.
I also gained 60 lbs during pregnancy and have 20 left to lose. Slowly.
I still look pregnant, as some nice person pointed out last week at the spa. :/

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Cathis posted:

I'm 3 months PP and still wearing my maternity pants.
I also gained 60 lbs during pregnancy and have 20 left to lose. Slowly.
I still look pregnant, as some nice person pointed out last week at the spa. :/

How many punches did you get in before they pulled you off?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mnemosyne posted:

If you're concerned about her getting enough protein without meat, try eggs, peanut butter (or other nut butters like Almond or Cashew, which smell a little less strong than peanut butter), lentils, or beans.

If you're concerned about iron, try spinach, either cooked or raw in a salad. A spinach salad with hardboiled egg doesn't smell strongly and is super healthy.

EDIT: Greek Yogurt is also a good source of protein.

Spinach is not high in iron. At all. It has about as much iron as any other leafy green vegetable, which is minuscule amounts. The reason that myth got started is that some lab person somewhere typed in a decimal place wrong. It's actually got chemicals in it that inhibit iron absorption, so eating it is actually detrimental to increasing your iron. So, if you want extra iron and protein, go for lentils/beans or eggs (specifically the yolk). Eating iron containing foods with vitamin C also increases uptake.

Also, posting this here, since the Knocked Up thread is pretty low activity.

I am in the awful limbo stage right now. It's past ovulation, nowhere near early enough for a test to come back positive, and I feel really, really weird. Sunday I got carsick for the first time in my life. That night I had insomnia. Since then I've been exhausted even after three full nights of sleep and going to bed early. I've also had residual nausea, but not "oh god going to get sick I'm miserable" nausea, just a general "awareness" of my abdominal region. When I'm busy lecturing or building presentations or grading, I don't notice it, but as soon as I take a break it's right there to greet me. Every once in a while I have an "episode" I guess you could call it. I'll be doing something, and then need to sit still and take a breath for about ten seconds, then I can go on with what I'm doing. Lastly, and most annoyingly, my boobs have been "can't wear a shirt without a bra" tender. I've been sporting a pair of glass cutters since Sunday, and it hurts like hell.

So, I'm either pregnant, or my body is a jerk that I am going to punch straight in the ovaries if my period shows up in ten days. I know it's only been four days of this, so I'm probably over-reacting, but it's so unnerving to not have any idea what's going on with my body. Time will tell, I know, I just needed to vent. My MIL is pleased as pie and convinced that I'm up the duff, and I'm trying very hard not to get too excited or too stressed out or too worried, and I'm failing on all accounts.

This poo poo is worse than wedding planning, and it hasn't even really started yet!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Experiencing every single possible pregnancy symptom at 4 days after ovulation sounds psychosomatic to me.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I'm about to head over to the parenting thread this weekend, but I have a baby barf question. Aibhilin has been barfing two o more hours after eating lately. She doesn't seem distressed by it, but 2 hours after eating seems odd to me. It's several tablespoons worth usually. Is this normal o should I give the doc a buzz? She is 3 months Old.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Schweig und tanze posted:

Experiencing every single possible pregnancy symptom at 4 days after ovulation sounds psychosomatic to me.

EXACTLY. And it's pissing me off. I'll know either way in another ten days.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Cathis posted:

I'm about to head over to the parenting thread this weekend, but I have a baby barf question. Aibhilin has been barfing two o more hours after eating lately. She doesn't seem distressed by it, but 2 hours after eating seems odd to me. It's several tablespoons worth usually. Is this normal o should I give the doc a buzz? She is 3 months Old.

Soren did this for a bit lately too, I think it's because he's extra drooly and is perhaps swallowing a bit of it which just isn't sitting right and then urp, up it comes.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Around 3 months is when their salivary glands really start to develop more. Could be attributed to that. Although tablespoonfulls is quite a bit. Usually a teaspoon is normal and realize that even a teaspoon of liquid seems like a ton.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
We found out Wednesday that my wife goes in for the Amniocentesis on Wednesday (2/20), and if the baby's lungs are ready, the c-section on Thursday morning!

I'm planning on taking 2-3 weeks from work to make sure she heals properly without stressing things out too much from dealing with our 1 year old.

Here's to our last week before massive sleep deprivation sets in again. :) Looking forward to it.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
How can I tell if the baby has dropped? I'm still getting wicked terrible heartburn, but it also feels like my cervix is getting stomped from the inside. Everything hurts at this point but there's still 4-5 weeks to go.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

How can I tell if the baby has dropped? I'm still getting wicked terrible heartburn, but it also feels like my cervix is getting stomped from the inside. Everything hurts at this point but there's still 4-5 weeks to go.

Baby could have dropped already, it doesn't necessarily mean all the upper abdominal unpleasantness will go away, unfortunately. I'm 39w 5d today and baby's head is definitely in my pelvis but his butt is still wedged up under my ribs. He's getting bigger and there's nowhere else to go :)

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I hope everything's going well, Lullabee!

I'm 15 weeks along now and telling people at work. Most of my coworkers have said congratulations and asked about the due date, gender, etc. which is all very nice. But yesterday I told a man I work closely with, and he said, "So what brought this on?" After I stared at him for a few moments, he said, "I mean what inspired it?"

Finally I said, "It's been a long-term goal...?" and he smiled and shrugged and mercifully started to talk about something else. Still not sure what he was actually asking-- is that just a weird way to say "So was this an accident?"

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Lots of cute new additions up in this thread. Congrats moms and dads. Good luck Lullabee!

I'm 34 weeks today and these night sweats are out of hand, as are the these not as often (thank God) sweaty spells during the day. I had to take my shirt off just to blow dry my hair it was that bad!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Seven for a Secret posted:

I hope everything's going well, Lullabee!

I'm 15 weeks along now and telling people at work. Most of my coworkers have said congratulations and asked about the due date, gender, etc. which is all very nice. But yesterday I told a man I work closely with, and he said, "So what brought this on?" After I stared at him for a few moments, he said, "I mean what inspired it?"

Finally I said, "It's been a long-term goal...?" and he smiled and shrugged and mercifully started to talk about something else. Still not sure what he was actually asking-- is that just a weird way to say "So was this an accident?"

What a weirdo.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

Ben Davis posted:

What a weirdo.

^ This. We are surrounded.

Also, I hate when people (mainly my parishioners) ask me if my husband's excited about the baby. Are they asking me if the pregnancy was a mistake? Or is it just really awkward small talk?

Edit: Congratulations, Lullabee!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Midnight Science posted:

Also, I hate when people (mainly my parishioners) ask me if my husband's excited about the baby. Are they asking me if the pregnancy was a mistake? Or is it just really awkward small talk?

They're just making small talk. :)

Congrats on the baby Lullabee!!

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dandy Shrew posted:

I don't know if you felt this, but there was a point where the baby literally felt like it was going to fall out of my vagina. I felt a drop and a pressure so heavy, that my hands instinctively went to catch it. haha. This can happen around 4-5 weeks too, so it's totally possible you experienced it while sleeping or were busy and just didn't feel it. A good indicator is also if your pubic bone starts to hurt and walking gets to feel a bit more awkward, since that means the babies' head is probably lodging into the pelvis. I asked my OB the same question and she said that is what it meant.

BTW Lullabee, CONGRATS! Sweet Jesus and hallelujah that baby finally is out! :D Can't wait to see its handsome face!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Midnight Science posted:

Maybe they've known dudes who have had problems getting excited at first, before it seems 'real' or else who have gone :supaburn: HELP HELP I'M GOING TO BE A DAD OH GOD. I doubt they mean "Oh so you tricked him into it did ya?"

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Lullabee posted:

had a baby!

Congratulations! This is indeed exciting news :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I can't read. Carry on!

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 15, 2013

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Had my baby last Saturday. Everything went smoothly, even though it went a lot faster than we expected. I almost had that natural birth I didn't really want. I was at a 2 when I got to the hospital, and baby was out 3 hours later. Worst pain I've ever felt even after being induced with my first one! Anyway, she's out and doing well. Unfortunately, she's going through this cluster-feeding thing that has me totally exhausted.

Congrats to the other new moms!

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Maybe they've known dudes who have had problems getting excited at first, before it seems 'real' or else who have gone :supaburn: HELP HELP I'M GOING TO BE A DAD OH GOD. I doubt they mean "Oh so you tricked him into it did ya?"

Yeah, probably the first one. I kind of fall into that category in that I don't show much emotion, but when I finally found out my wife was pregnant I was crying like baby. Well, crying once I finally got out of my daze since my wife was holding the stick in front of my face trying to wake me up. There was actually only one person who asked "was it planned" -- and she is one of her cousin's who had 2 unplanned really unexpected ones.

Hearing the ultrasound heartbeat also melted me into pieces and started tearing up. This is weird for dudes too!

Also whomever suggested the "Dude, you're going to be a dad" book -- it is AWESOME. It's the right mix of information and comedy (for me at least) and I'm learning quite a lot. Hitting 12 weeks soon and my wife is already tired of me kissing her little belly. haha.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Congrats Lullabee and newts!! :3

So, I had a pretty scary last couple days.

I went in on Wednesday for a simple recheck on my ultrasound at a nearby hospital because at the first anatomy scan they didn't get pictures of the spine. Well, they found out during the ultrasound that my cervix was about 1 cm dilated and short (and I'm only 22 weeks today..), the next thing I know the Dr. is telling me she wants me to be admitted immediately to have surgery the next day. I've never had any sort of surgery in my life, let alone getting my cervix stitched closed. :cry:

But at least for now the ordeal is over..stitches are in and I'm home from the hospital and starting next week I'll have to have weekly shots to help keep me from going into preterm labor. :sigh:

Just when I thought I could start getting a little exercise and get some maternity clothing to enjoy a more active pregnancy..now I'm on modified bed rest and all this other crap.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Graycious, I'm sorry. :( That's so scary. Are you allowed to get up and leave the house, or is it more "lie down except bathroom time"?

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Greycious posted:

Congrats Lullabee and newts!! :3

So, I had a pretty scary last couple days.

I went in on Wednesday for a simple recheck on my ultrasound at a nearby hospital because at the first anatomy scan they didn't get pictures of the spine. Well, they found out during the ultrasound that my cervix was about 1 cm dilated and short (and I'm only 22 weeks today..), the next thing I know the Dr. is telling me she wants me to be admitted immediately to have surgery the next day. I've never had any sort of surgery in my life, let alone getting my cervix stitched closed. :cry:

But at least for now the ordeal is over..stitches are in and I'm home from the hospital and starting next week I'll have to have weekly shots to help keep me from going into preterm labor. :sigh:

Just when I thought I could start getting a little exercise and get some maternity clothing to enjoy a more active pregnancy..now I'm on modified bed rest and all this other crap.

Hang in there, Grey. I had news like that too at about 25 weeks and it can be pretty terrifying and exhausting. Just try and remember that at least baby and you are safe, and now you have an opportunity to rest and strengthen your body. I'm here thinking of you, because it is tough. :(

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ben Davis, at this point I believe it is rest as much as possible. They told me no housework and not even to go shopping at the grocery store etc. I'm guessing that will remain as long as I have the stitches in, which come out at 37 weeks if I don't go into labor sooner, which hopefully won't happen.

Hastings Yeah I'm trying to keep positive about it. It's a good thing he was wiggly about getting all his photos done the first time, because I may have not even gone back for another ultrasound, and if I didn't this might not have been caught and it could have led to me going into labor way too early...so that second ultrasound may have saved his life.

I got to spend time in the labor and delivery area of the hospital at least and all the nurses and staff there were incredibly nice and awesome. So at least I know if I make it to 34 weeks I can deliver there and the staff is great :)

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I don't think we've had someone on bedrest in this thread for a while, but it is fairly common. I was on bedrest with my first kid at 20 weeks, and I got a break in there for a few weeks but got put back on bedrest. The boredom is tough but for me the roughest thing was learning to accept help and not fret about it. Hang in there, don't worry about things you can't control like what your weight is doing or what your kitchen looks like. If someone says "can I come over and clean or make you dinner" just say yes.

I had a timer and could only take 5 minute showers. I do remember that when the baby was born, for a couple of days I had to be careful because I would get dizzy just from standing. But overall you bounce back really quickly when there's no kid in your uterus.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

hepscat posted:

The boredom is tough but for me the roughest thing was learning to accept help and not fret about it. Hang in there, don't worry about things you can't control like what your weight is doing or what your kitchen looks like. If someone says "can I come over and clean or make you dinner" just say yes.

Definitely this! Even if they are just asking if you want them to come over and hang out. It helps so much to break up the boredom. I was on bedrest early in this pregnancy and a few of my friends would come over every Saturday and just hang out and watch a movie or something with me and even just that was such a nice change from sitting there by myself all the time. It helped keep me sane.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
How many of the ultrasounds that you get are transvaginal? I didn't even know that was a thing until all the "required if you want an abortion in misogynist states" laws started up. Does it just let you get the information earlier than transbelly ultrasounds, or what? It seems really invasive and rather unnecessary, but I say that this side of being pregnant and am curious.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Valdara posted:

How many of the ultrasounds that you get are transvaginal? I didn't even know that was a thing until all the "required if you want an abortion in misogynist states" laws started up. Does it just let you get the information earlier than transbelly ultrasounds, or what? It seems really invasive and rather unnecessary, but I say that this side of being pregnant and am curious.

I had none with my first and 2 with my second. The two were very early on. They're not that invasive as far as procedures like that go. They're better at dating early on from what I understand.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Valdara posted:

If you have a complication like I did, a transvaginal ultrasound is much more successful at catching cervical bleeds, tearing or punctures. It just tends to get a much more accurate picture and was actually very noninvasive compared to the routine "sticking fingers up your lady bits" examinations.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Valdara posted:

Hastings posted:

If you have a complication like I did, a transvaginal ultrasound is much more successful at catching cervical bleeds, tearing or punctures. It just tends to get a much more accurate picture and was actually very noninvasive compared to the routine "sticking fingers up your lady bits" examinations.

I do up to half a dozen of these a day at work for normal gynecological-type pelvic scans. It's a long skinny probe with a small rounded end that goes in as far as a tampon does. You can feel it move around but it's usually no worse than having a pap smear. No speculum involved, and you'd be asked to empty your bladder completely. The main difference is that these transducers are much higher resolution than the ones they use for the tummy scans, but the trade-off is range (higher resolution = less range) hence needing to get as close to the uterus and ovaries as possible via the vagina. The higher resolution makes tiny things easier to measure accurately, like tiny 5-6 week old fetuses that are less than a centimeter long. Early pregnancy bleeding is another indication, like mentioned above. They also use them lots in IVF procedures, e.g. to count how many follicles are growing in the ovaries and how thick the lining of the uterus is.

At our worksite the transvaginal scans in pregnancy are primarily used in dating a very early pregnancy where the mother can't give accurate dates, and to confirm early multiples, if the gestational sac and embryo/s can't be seen well enough through the tummy (usually the case if you're anything but small and very slim). Outside of the first trimester I've not heard of anyone at my worksite use the TV probe--one senior occasionally goes as far as a translabial scan (where she'll put the big curved/flat probe up against the labia) if the docs are desperate for the cervix length, and there's no way of seeing through the abdomen, but that's it.

Some women do consider them very invasive, our policy at our worksite is that it's always optional. Refusals do seem to happen more often when a male sonographer is involved than a female one (for probably obvious reasons), though I think most women are reasonably pragmatic when we explain how it gets much more 'zoomed in', sharper images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

I had transvaginal u/s exclusively until I was 16 weeks (I had at least 4 before 16 weeks due to vaginal bleeding from a blood clot) and they're truly no big deal. Doesn't hurt, and it allows a much clearer picture of what's going on if there are problems.