Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

tearshed posted:

Heads up ya'll

:siren:You can pick up a boxed copy of Tera for **$12** at any EB games in Australia:siren:

https://ebgames.com.au/pc-157688-Tera-PC

Benefits of physical copy here. (tawny huntress pack)

The emeralds sell to vendors for 1000g each. The scrolls and mount (if you choose to sell them) can net you another 2000g.

If anyone in Australia wants to pick up an extra copy, I'd be happy to paypal you $20 for the code.

It's really annoying only having 2 character slots per server, and that extra gold would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's not normal but Rift is down right now so people might just be logging in because of that.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004

KaneTW posted:

That takes aeons though.

^^ Hardmode Dungeons in this game are significantly harder than in most other MMOs.

Hard as in gear check hard, or you need to know the fights as to not get one shotted, as is the case in The Secret World nightmare dungeons.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
The latter. There are a lot of one-shot mechanics and such in hard mode dungeons, and the game doesn't give you big flashing warnings when important stuff is happening, you often have to know the boss and their tells.

That said, Argon Corpus HM and Manaya's Core HM also require good gear.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

MCNM does too if you don't want to fight for an eternity. But yeah, it's the TSW style of hard.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Who are these crazy stalker witches sending you love letters!

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Up to four letters per character per day. Seems these letters come with keys. I checked and looks like an alt on the same account will not receive letters if you already picked them up on (main)

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 15, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Alavaria posted:

Up to four letters per character per day. Seems these letters come with keys. I checked and looks like an alt on the same account will not receive letters if you already picked them up on (main)

Yeah you get them on all characters, but it's all the same letter. Once you take stuff out of it on a character, that's it. You don't get more. So it's four letters per account per day, really.

Also, is there anything one can do to avoid these supposed 'lost connection' messages that bump you out of the game entirely? Really dumb way to handle a connection loss, you would think they could do something besides entirely closing the game. And there's not even a chance to log back in immediately, you have to go back through the queue. If I weren't a founder, that would probably be enough to get me to drop the game entirely. (And no, my connection is fine, nothing else internet based loses connectivity when the game claims that it does)

kulanah
May 28, 2012

Alavaria posted:

I'm getting 5 letters per character, and my second character is also getting keys.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Tokaii posted:

I often play mmo's to max level and then quit because I'm too old and slow for the speed and complicated mechanics of many end-game raids. A few games have offered other things to do at max level. What is the end-game situation in Tera?

Well it's very complex.

Some advice though, play a priest. Hands down the easiest class. My husband got his priest alt to 60 and the final dungeon in the game (albeit the easy mode, but it's still really hard on newbies) is the first one he ever tried. Cleared it no problems.

We have every single class, 4 each at max level and both agree priest is the easiest, and still needed in every dungeon.

It goes somewhat like this, for me:

Priest
Slayer
Lancer
Sorceror
Mystic
Berserker
Warrior
Archer

(I hate playing archer.)

Zerker is too non mobile for me to dodge well and warrior is too fast.

I have developmental dyspraxia, if that's any reassurance.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
The dungeons with DPS checks are, shocking enough, easier to clear with the more DPS-boosting mystic. But trying to level one is annoying, :v:

(The "punishments" for not DPSing/blocking/dodging/encounter mechanic-ing correctly quickly exceed the ability of mystic or priest to heal away.)

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 15, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

kulanah posted:

I'm getting 5 letters per character, and my second character is also getting keys.

After delving into the official forums, it appears that the mail comes to whichever character you're on after every hour of playtime.

The genius who thought of this, when the game is already suffering from massive queue times, and didn't think of the obvious player behavior that would result from this, should be slapped with a large trout. (Log in > AFK while at work/asleep > free loot)

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
So, I played this at release for quite a long time and am interested in the F2P. I have a zerk and a slayer at max, but if I wanted to get some friends to play, is there any good way to help them level a lot faster than normal? We've tried some questing with me outside and 51% hp bam kills, etc. It still seems a bit faster than normal but not by much. Any thoughts?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Sintor posted:

So, I played this at release for quite a long time and am interested in the F2P. I have a zerk and a slayer at max, but if I wanted to get some friends to play, is there any good way to help them level a lot faster than normal? We've tried some questing with me outside and 51% hp bam kills, etc. It still seems a bit faster than normal but not by much. Any thoughts?
I believe you can help them finish quests (that are not repeatable) and in particular rush through story quests, which will give a great amount of XP.

Also, look about for blue weapons on the AH, in many cases, you might be able to buy one for only a little more than it vendors for. Compared to your income, buying them a stream of blues is nothing, and even for them, it's quite affordable to keep upgrading blues and vendoring the old ones.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Something thats been bugging me, how do I tell if a particular piece of equipment can be upgraded or used for upgrading? Is there some text on the item I'm not understanding?

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Alavaria posted:

The dungeons with DPS checks are, shocking enough, easier to clear with the more DPS-boosting mystic. But trying to level one is annoying, :v:

(The "punishments" for not DPSing/blocking/dodging/encounter mechanic-ing correctly quickly exceed the ability of mystic or priest to heal away.)

They are, but priest is still, hands down the easiest class.

They are never unwelcome either. And all the dps checks can be cleared in goddamn nexus gear, which is basically thrown at you for free now.

As far as PVP goes that's a different matter, but I'm not a fan.

Priest is not my main. I find it too easy, my main is sorc and I also play mystic, which is absolutely no good for new people learning MC, or heck, a lot of pugs from dungeon queue. When you are constantly locked into target heal and running out of mana, unable to drop a single mote - not fun.

I can't even blame the pugs, these are clearly people who pug things because they don't have enough friends to practice with - same pretty much goes for us, we're lacking a tank pretty much constantly.

Sing like a girl fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 15, 2013

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
I might give the priest a shot then. Although I heard , maybe from the last thread that they were slow to level due to low damage. Given they aren't a dps class, should they avoid trying to solo BAMs as well?

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
BAMs can be soloed with any class, but it's almost never beneficial to do so except for fun and bragging rights. They generally take a long time to kill, so it's faster to just do a normal quest which you can finish in the same time as a single BAM. That said, they're pretty great practice if you intend on tanking in instances, because a lot of the dungeon bosses are just upgraded BAMs and will have similar movesets and tells.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Something thats been bugging me, how do I tell if a particular piece of equipment can be upgraded or used for upgrading? Is there some text on the item I'm not understanding?

Things you can enchant will say 'enchantable' on them and have a list of bonuses at the bottom for +3 and +6 and so on. As far as I know, anything of the same type (i.e. weapon/armor) can be used as fodder as long as its the right tier. So if you want to enchant a sword that says 'tier 4' on it, you need another throw-away weapon that also says 'tier 4' on it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

At first I thought it was a joke, but sure enough I put the box code in backwards and it took it and the two gems, two scrolls and mount were in my claim list.

Aww it doesn't work for my key. :saddowns:

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It has to be a new key that hasn't been used yet.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It only works for boxes bought after December 12th. Yeah, it kinda sucks.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004

Velveteen posted:

It has to be a new key that hasn't been used yet.

I used the key frontwards first, and it worked backwards as well.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
I put my key backwards first (for a F2P account), got the tawny pack, then put the key in normally for founders. So the order doesn't matter!

Alkanos posted:

It only works for boxes bought after December 12th. Yeah, it kinda sucks.
How would they know when you bought the box? Do you mean keys activated prior to the 12th can't be reversed? That would make more sense.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Crown Face posted:

If anyone in Australia wants to pick up an extra copy, I'd be happy to paypal you $20 for the code.

It's really annoying only having 2 character slots per server, and that extra gold would be nice.

I can give the local EB stores a call tomorrow and report back if they have any copies left.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Guild is full again and theres a list of goons lining up on applications!

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004

Velveteen posted:

Oh no, and I just rerolled Garfield as well :/

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Velveteen posted:

Will characters be kicked if inactive too long? I just found a box copy of Tera last night and plan on plugging in the code after work today and logging back on.

I know there was a sign up sheet to say your SA name and your in-game name. Is there anyway everyone can view that?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yes. I might just make an alt guild because I'm getting tired of kicking people who didn't log in for a month.

^^ Offsite forums profile is public to registered members, spreadsheet is only visible to me (for now).

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

KuroKisei posted:

I can give the local EB stores a call tomorrow and report back if they have any copies left.

Alright, I'm still interested in case they do or if anyone following the thread went and got a couple for all the free gold.

Edit: Actually, from the wording on the website, it seems like you can use the codes backwards on any account, so if anyone has bought an extra code and used it backwards but hasn't used the code normally yet, I'd be interested in buying that too.

Crown Face fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 15, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I am only playing this casually for an hour or so every day so I don't mind being relegated to an alt guild or whatever. IGN is Kytain, if you want to kick me.

I like having people to chat with while I play and maybe group up with, but since i'm leveling at the minute and also on EU time I tend to just do solo quests since it's easier than finding people of my level range that aren't just the general public (I read chat, I don't want to team with any of them because I am too afraid).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

KaneTW posted:

Yes. I might just make an alt guild because I'm getting tired of kicking people who didn't log in for a month.

^^ Offsite forums profile is public to registered members, spreadsheet is only visible to me (for now).

If you make one and I'll be willing to hop over to seed it with my main and alt

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Altguild is up, name is Knightgod Dragonkings (we are all very creative). Velveteen etc. apply so I can give you officer roles.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
sweet, finally i can indulge in rolling four alts at the same time

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I just quit out of DGKK but I don't think I can actually join a guild on my sorcerer for like 5 days. I will join KGDK on my Warrior instead. I will apply on Kalyr.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't really put my finger on what's changed in this game. I played during beta just before launch and got a bunch of characters into the low/mid 20's. I cancelled the pre order because I didn't find the game appealing. Maybe it was the sub? I'm having a lot of fun again and just got my warrior to 25 and am enjoying being able to solo all the BAMs. They are a lot of fun. I've also been forcing pubbies to chain pull entire rooms in BoL. It makes the dungeon run a lot more fun and significantly faster.

I'm hoping warrior isn't too gimped in PVP at higher levels, but I've managed to kill a few of the lowbie PKers present on that new PVP server that opened up.

Paraduck
Jan 7, 2010

OMG I'M A CHOCOBO.
KWEH! KWEH!
Just downloaded this last night and played a little this morning as a Slayer. Got to level 12 and out of the starter area. Still not to sure how I feel about this game though, gotta put more time into it I guess.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Paraduck posted:

Just downloaded this last night and played a little this morning as a Slayer. Got to level 12 and out of the starter area. Still not to sure how I feel about this game though, gotta put more time into it I guess.

Honestly the first time I went from its ok to its amazing was after doing my first BAM and doing a dungeon.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paraduck posted:

I felt exactly the same way back at release, and when I started playing f2p. This game's first 15-20 levels are VERY boring. Mostly because you aren't fighting BAMs, or running dungeons, or even fighting interesting mobs. Once you get out of noob town, and a fair ways into the first zone it really picks up. I think it's also a function of how many skills you start to get around level 20ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
I have noticed how boring the newbie area is. In my trying to figure out what class to play (finally decided on berserker) I ran the first few levels a bunch of times during the morning and thankfully I am done with that.

That being said, the action combat has started to grow on me. For the longest time I was a tradtitonal mmo combat supporter, although I did like combat in TSW. Coming into the game, I was unsure on how I would feel about combat here. Something about it just feels right, although I must admit now that I am playing a melee class, upon moving around the side of a baddie, I typically miss the first swing because of where I am facing or the camera.

• Locked thread