Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Awia posted:

Is there a British equivalent of Monoprice that anyone knows of? I can't find any places that do cables as dirt cheap as Monoprice does over here.

I assume the Hong Kong based outfits on eBay will ship to the UK. They are usually pretty cheap and shipping speed isn't actually too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You can generally get generic cables on Amazon for next to nothing as well.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

For some reason I had it in my head that Amazon cables were expensive, and I never thought to check eBay. Thank you very much.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Awia posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that Amazon cables were expensive, and I never thought to check eBay. Thank you very much.

They started an "Amazon Basics" product line that is pretty competitive with Monoprice. I got an HDMI cable from them for $3.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

macnbc posted:

They started an "Amazon Basics" product line that is pretty competitive with Monoprice. I got an HDMI cable from them for $3.

Are their HDMI cords actually flexible? I really dislike how stiff and awful the Monoprice cords are.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

DrNutt posted:

Are their HDMI cords actually flexible? I really dislike how stiff and awful the Monoprice cords are.

Yes they are more flexible. However the reason why Monoprice cords are stiff is because they're padded/shielded like crazy. That's actually a sign of a high-quality sturdy cable, not an awful one.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 15, 2013

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I never knew Logitech had a mechanical keyboard before I noticed some sales recently for the G710+ with cherry browns. Does anyone have this keyboard and can compare it to other popular mech boards (Das, etc)?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

macnbc posted:

Yes they are more flexible. However the reason why Monoprice cords are stiff is because they're padded/shielded like crazy. That's actually a sign of a high-quality sturdy cable, not an awful one.

Good to know I guess, but at a certain point it makes home theater setup a pain in the rear end to have 3 or 4 hard, inflexible cords getting in the way.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

Siroc posted:

I never knew Logitech had a mechanical keyboard before I noticed some sales recently for the G710+ with cherry browns. Does anyone have this keyboard and can compare it to other popular mech boards (Das, etc)?

I too would really like to know what any goons think about this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got that for Christmas (the exxxxtreeeme gaming version, anyway) and I like it a lot. But it's also my first mechanical keyboard, so I really have no real frame of reference. It makes me hate going to work and using this lovely Dell keyboard, though. One thing about the 710 (and I don't know if this is specific to the :pcgaming: version) is that the font is a little odd and it took some getting used to some of the symbols. If you know your keyboard blindfolded though, it's probably not an issue.

It does use up two usb slots as well, but I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem for most folks in the pc gaming thread.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SilentD posted:

Wireless is still slightly laggy compared to wired even under the best circumstances. How much you will notice this depends on what sort of gamer you are. It certainly won't bother some people and if you are playing say an RPG it's a non issue. A twitch shooter lover will notice this though. It's also situational, since it will be worse for some people if there is stuff to interfere.

I picked up the wireless mouse someone recommended in here (G700?) and besides an initial quarter-second lag if I let it go to sleep (so 5 minutes of not doing anything), it works like a dream. No lag that I can notice, and I play League of Legends and TF2 which are both pretty mouse heavy. :v:

At the same time, by the way, I picked up the F710 to replace my dying wired 360 gamepad, and this thing is a fuckin dream, too. Great D-pad, better compatibility than the 360 controller, and wireless without that stupid Microsoft dongle. Heart Logitech as always!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Anyone have any comments on the Radeon HD 7870? I decided on it as my gc and wondered if anyone had any first hand experience. For my rig I got :

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i5-3570K)
Motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V LX))
1 x Memory (8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair)
1 x Video Card (AMD Radeon HD 7870 - 2GB - Single Card)
With a 600 w power source and a intel SSD drive

Basically I'm thinking this rig will run most currently popular games on high with the exception of maybe FarCry3 which I beat anyway but am getting for free.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SilkyP posted:

Anyone have any comments on the Radeon HD 7870? I decided on it as my gc and wondered if anyone had any first hand experience. For my rig I got :

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i5-3570K)

Basically I'm thinking this rig will run most currently popular games on high with the exception of maybe FarCry3 which I beat anyway but am getting for free.

I grabbed that same exact rig last October and it's a great card. I had some problems with a manufacturing issue, but that should be solved by now. I can run all games I have on max including FC3, so that shouldn't be an issue. I have a 1920*1080 monitor if that helps in your decision.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mr E posted:

I grabbed that same exact rig last October and it's a great card. I had some problems with a manufacturing issue, but that should be solved by now. I can run all games I have on max including FC3, so that shouldn't be an issue. I have a 1920*1080 monitor if that helps in your decision.

Awesome, thanks. Its good to hear first hand someone with the same rig. Mind if I ask how much you paid total for your rig?

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 16, 2013

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SilkyP posted:

Awesome thanks. Mind if I ask how much you paid total for your rig?

I think I grabbed it for around 1000 USD after rebates, which was pretty great after spending more than that last time I bought a rig about 7 years ago.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mr E posted:

I think I grabbed it for around 1000 USD after rebates, which was pretty great after spending more than that last time I bought a rig about 7 years ago.

That's about what I payed. Plus I think they are throwing in Bioshock Infinite and the New Tomb Raider with the card. I don't know anything about PC gaming, do companies usually do this? That seems like an awesome deal, console gaming could learn a few things.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SilkyP posted:

That's about what I payed. Plus I think they are throwing in Bioshock Infinite and the New Tomb Raider with the card. I don't know anything about PC gaming, do companies usually do this? That seems like an awesome deal, console gaming could learn a few things.

Yeah, video card pack-ins have been a thing since video cards became a thing in the '90s. That one in particular seems like a pretty good deal.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I just made the switch to Windows 8. Now my Logitech F710 gamepad is only detected while it's in D mode. Does anyone know of a way to get X mode working again?

Using Windows 8 64-bit.

Edit:

I ran the Logitech Connection App and that detected it, so the problem is obviously with Windows 8. Also it worked fine on Windows 7.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 16, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SilkyP posted:

At 1900 x 1080 that card will run anything you throw at it at 60FPS with high settings with only a few exceptions. Farcry 3 should manage at high, the newest 2 driver releases greatly improved performance for the game, however Farcry 3 in general isn't too well optimised so don't worry if you have to turn one or 2 things to medium.

SilkyP posted:

The console manufacturers do do this but usually a while after release. Most commonly with self owned games like xbox with Gears of War and PS3 with uncharted for example. There is a current bundle with an XB360 250GB that comes with Skyrim and Forza4 essentials for the same price as on its own in the UK.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 16, 2013

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So does anyone here game with a 27"/30" monitor? I've been thinking of building a new PC anyways this spring for numerous reasons and have been seriously contemplating it. Before I make the jump on spending the money on both a pricey new monitor and a higher-end video card than I usually pick up, I wanted to know how bad the caveats are. For example, does the size seem too big because it can't properly fit into your field of view comfortably? Is is hard to find games - even those from the past few years - that offer the ability to run in 2560 x 1440 or 1600?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

kuddles posted:

So does anyone here game with a 27"/30" monitor? I've been thinking of building a new PC anyways this spring for numerous reasons and have been seriously contemplating it. Before I make the jump on spending the money on both a pricey new monitor and a higher-end video card than I usually pick up, I wanted to know how bad the caveats are. For example, does the size seem too big because it can't properly fit into your field of view comfortably? Is is hard to find games - even those from the past few years - that offer the ability to run in 2560 x 1440 or 1600?

I used to use a 27" imac for a while to game on. It felt just the right side of 'too big', if that makes sense. I reckon a 30" would of been too much. I'm on a pretty small desk though.

Games wise, obviously on an iMacs GPU I had to turn down the res if I actually wanted to play, but the option to go up was there (Half Life 2 could run, and it looked absolutely stunning at that res). In fact, a lot of games usually defaulted to whatever the desktop resolution is, leaving me trying to manipulate a slideshow to get it turned down on the first play. You have to go quite a way back before a lack of options becomes a problem, and even those games usually predate widescreen options and probably have subsequent hacks to get around it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

kuddles posted:

I feel the 23.6" I have now is just barely not too big, but that will obviously depend on how far away you typically sit from your monitor. I generally stick less than four feet from the screen. If you stick farther away, a larger display may be a good choice.

Also, the vast majority of games don't care what resolution they run at, the barrier is your graphics card. Specifically, if your card is powerful enough to render the game at the resolution you pick. Pretty much any game made in the last decade will be designed to scale to any resolution or aspect ratio you like.

A new midrange card will be able to handle new games (that aren't terribly optimized) on mid-to-high settings (usually high) at 1080p, but may choke at higher resolutions if you don't scale the graphical effects back a bit. You do get some mercy in that anti-aliasing becomes less important the higher your resolution goes, but it's still a drain.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, I'm aware I would need to go for a stronger card if I want to set-it-and-forget-it on higher settings, which is why I'm hesitating. I'm currently using a 23.6" monitor myself. I have been wondering if 27" would end up feeling too big and that would be an expensive discovery to make, but on the other hand I thought a 23.6" monitor and a 55" TV would be too big as well, and boy did those turn into non-issues very quickly. I think I'm a size queen.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

kuddles posted:

Yeah, I'm aware I would need to go for a stronger card if I want to set-it-and-forget-it on higher settings, which is why I'm hesitating. I'm currently using a 23.6" monitor myself. I have been wondering if 27" would end up feeling too big and that would be an expensive discovery to make, but on the other hand I thought a 23.6" monitor and a 55" TV would be too big as well, and boy did those turn into non-issues very quickly. I think I'm a size queen.

You already have all the tools you need, then. Turn on your TV, and find the distance where the display feels just barely too big. Compare that to the distance that you sit from your monitor, do some math, and you'll know exactly how large is too large.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.
I have been using a Logitech g5 mouse for the last 4 or 5 years. I am absolutely in love with the mouse, but now that it has been a few years I wonder if there are any other new mice(preferably wired) out there that are worth upgrading to from my current one?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
U3011 here.. And it is an amazing if expensive purchase. I have an Sli set up, 580's, anything less wouldn't cut it. When people talk about spec overkill, they aren't referring to this kind of resolution. Make sure your build can sign the cheques before purchasing. Extra Vram is essential, i have 1.5 and occasionally hit the ceiling, looking at the new Nvidia Titan (6gig Vram),but 2 to 3 should suffice.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've found that every time I upgrade the size of my monitor the new size feels huge but just right after an hour or two of use. So ages ago 20" was big, etc, etc, and now 27" feels right. 30" seems gigantic in a store but after an hour I assume I'd get used to it. The only thing I'd note on the 27" is the height is a bit more important to get proper for you than on smaller monitors. Since I have a non-adjustable Korean monitor mine is on a small block.

Only games I've found that don't run at 2550X1440 are the occasional indie game with non-scalable assets (They Bleed Pixels as an example). Expensive video cards are necessary for current gen games at the resolution. I'm running a 670.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a 27" monitor for a few months but eventually gave it up, it was just too big for me. Reading left aligned text for long periods would give me a sore neck.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've found that every time I upgrade the size of my monitor the new size feels huge but just right after an hour or two of use. So ages ago 20" was big, etc, etc, and now 27" feels right. 30" seems gigantic in a store but after an hour I assume I'd get used to it.

While that's generally true, there's an upper limit where it just gets too large, especially at the peripheral edges of the screen.
How large that limit is depends on the size of your desk and how far away you sit from the screen, but, say, a 40" TV will most definitely be too much for any given desk.
I use my 32" TV for extended sessions with singleplayer games every now and then which works pretty well if I put it at the very back of my fairly big desk, and I also have one of those extendable keyboard and mouse trays under the desk that essentially makes me sit another ~30 cm away from the edge of the desk, but anything above that would be uncomfortably large. And it already is uncomfortably large for everyday desktop work such as internet browsing and that kind of stuff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I play right now on my media center TV, a 52". Right now I have to use 200% DPI zoom to be able to see anything while desktoppin' in 1920x1080. Which is a pain because there are an awful lot of applications that don't handle non-default DPIs very well.

A question just occurred to me though, is there any reason I can't just set my desktop resolution to 1280x720 and play games in higher resolution where the UI scaling options are available/not necessary?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Ciaphas posted:

A question just occurred to me though, is there any reason I can't just set my desktop resolution to 1280x720 and play games in higher resolution where the UI scaling options are available/not necessary?

Other than your desktop looking like rear end when not playing games? No, not really.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Burning Mustache posted:

Other than your desktop looking like rear end when not playing games? No, not really.

Looking a bit assy is better than dealing with compatibility issues. Thanks :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Here's a new question that's come up: do resolution settings actually do anything in games where you can set borderless windowed? If I set, say, League of Legends to borderless windowed at 1920x1800 borderless window when my desktop is 1280x720, am I actually getting any game benefit over 1280x720?

(I'd just fullscreen it, but in the case of League, streaming fullscreen apps is proving to be a pain in the rear end. Similarly I'd just test for myself, but League itself is proving to be a pain in the rear end as well WRT video settings...)

Nevermind, finally got League to cooperate. Answer: overscan. Lots. :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 17, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

We don't know specifics of the GPU, but with approaching 2 TFLOPS we're looking at a level of performance somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870. The highest end PC GPUs are already faster than this, but the PS4's GPU is a lot faster than the PS3's RSX which was derived from NVIDIA's G70 architecture (used in the GeForce 7800 GTX, for example).

From an article about the internals and switch to x86 of the PS4 on Anandtech..

Sony Announces PlayStation 4: PC Hardware Inside

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Playstation 4: We Can Run Current PC Games at High Settings (but not Ultra).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Playstation 4: We Can Run Current PC Games at High Settings (but not Ultra).
So, full :smug: ahead for another seven years? Cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Until proper size SSDs become a Thing for consoles I'm okay with this. Loading times can bite me, I'm so spoiled :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Until proper size SSDs become a Thing for consoles I'm okay with this. Loading times can bite me, I'm so spoiled :v:

Oh my god loading times are going to be horrible on the new consoles unless they come up with some crazy poo poo. Uncharted was only able to work as well as it did because it duplicated its assets over and over again to cope with the disc read speed.

Mandatory HDD installs are probably going to be a lot more common, and even then there'll be load time and texture read issues.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fallom posted:

Oh my god loading times are going to be horrible on the new consoles unless they come up with some crazy poo poo. Uncharted was only able to work as well as it did because it duplicated its assets over and over again to cope with the disc read speed.

Maybe they'll have a fast hard drive and more comprehensive installations.

NihilCredo posted:

Don't know about anyone else but this is my current plan. The smug face will grow by 25% every time a console game is released at 30fps and a sub-1080p resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe they'll have a fast hard drive and more comprehensive installations.

Let's hope they come with 500 GB standard, then!

• Locked thread