Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I just read the Deadhouse Gate and I absolutely loved it. It was the only one my local library had and my interest was piqued by someone's mention of this series in the WoT thread. I love how you just get dropped right in the middle of the story and then things stay to talk into place. I read the OP so I will definitely avoid spoilers but is there any background stuff out there I can read without ruining stuff for myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

vulturesrow posted:

I just read the Deadhouse Gate and I absolutely loved it. It was the only one my local library had and my interest was piqued by someone's mention of this series in the WoT thread. I love how you just get dropped right in the middle of the story and then things stay to talk into place. I read the OP so I will definitely avoid spoilers but is there any background stuff out there I can read without ruining stuff for myself?

No, you will ruin stuff for yourself easily. Avoid this thread; avoid it. And anything else you may want to look up on the series. Read them in order, and enjoy!

A big part of the joy of this series is all the little connections, discoveries, and revelations you can make, as Erikson worked hard to put a feel of age and history to the world and looking stuff up will take away the joy of some of those moments. Even if you're looking at book blurbs for the novels further in the series, so avoid all you can and keep reading.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Leave this thread for your second read through :)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Feel free to drop in with questions as you're going through though. Or for any :holyshit: moments.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Someone please tell me that The Crippled God gets less depressing towards the end and all the bad rear end dudes and characters I have loved throughout the books stop dying. Please. Even if it's not true.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah no worries remember how Hood dies? well at the end of TCG you find out that all the characters you liked from the books who died go on living full and happy lives in the new realm of death writing Purst and Kruppe fan fiction. Hope that goes towards making you feel better. Also all the K'chain blade arms are replaced with real ones and you learn all the hunters really wanted was a hug.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
There sure is a lot of hissing going on in book three. Did I miss some exposition that turned everyone into snake people? It's weird reading a lot of books by the same author because their pet descriptors come up so much ad to be noticeable. I think every battle cry thus far has been a ululating one.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

Yeah no worries remember how Hood dies? well at the end of TCG you find out that all the characters you liked from the books who died go on living full and happy lives in the new realm of death writing Purst and Kruppe fan fiction. Hope that goes towards making you feel better. Also all the K'chain blade arms are replaced with real ones and you learn all the hunters really wanted was a hug.

I don't dare to search (because I want my goddamn illusions to remain intact), but have anyone written fan fiction about the Malazan world? Esslemont doesn't count.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
After finishing the main Malazan series a few months ago, I started on Orb, Scepter, Throne recently (Since it's the one ICE book that everyone seems to agree is actually good). Having just started Book 2, the thing I like about it the most so far, is that in a series (IIRC) based on an old D&D campaign, it's the first book I've read with a proper dungeon crawl in it.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Cardiac posted:

I don't dare to search (because I want my goddamn illusions to remain intact), but have anyone written fan fiction about the Malazan world? Esslemont doesn't count.

I wrote a couple pages of ASOIAF/Malazan crossover fanfic in the GRRM thread once, I won't post it because this thread doesn't need that crap, but it happened.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
A Song Of Omtose Phellack and Tellann?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Reading through again I've noticed that each book so far has the final quarter or so dedicated to a particular war. This has held true through Deadhouse Gates > Midnight Tides. I've read Bonehunters and Reapers Gale but can't remember, does this trend continue right through the entire series?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Well, it has some to that point. I can now mouse over all the spoilers in this thread for the main series. The end was a combination of :qq:, :tviv:, and :aaaaa:. And I still don't really know wtf Kellanved and Dancer were up to. I need to think on it some.

Edit: I now feel like something has been lifted off my shoulders as well. I can actually read other books now without worrying about forgetting the story in this epic tale. I haven't decided what the next book will be, though, probably something non-fiction.

pakman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 14, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hot. From the upcoming SubPress special edition.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Masonity posted:

A Song Of Omtose Phellack and Tellann?

Yeesss. Well done.

I finished book 10 after finally getting hooked on the series from my Mexican demon brother not too long ago and I regret nothing. That dumbass still hasn't finished the series himself so to Dragnipur with him. What a mind gently caress this collection of books is. It might be time to reread them because I still don't think I've come close to understanding the world(s) that Erikson has created. Truly an impressive work indeed.

edit: Adjunct Tavore. I hate you and now I just want to hold you. Forever alone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

pakman posted:

And I still don't really know wtf Kellanved and Dancer were up to.

I think they were basically trying to get TCG to gently caress off back home and stop poisoning Burn, which all the other gods wouldn't let them do because it was too much fun repeatedly pounding him and syphoning off his power.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think they were basically trying to get TCG to gently caress off back home and stop poisoning Burn, which all the other gods wouldn't let them do because it was too much fun repeatedly pounding him and syphoning off his power.

Except they had plenty of gods on their side of the field. I think their big idea was in realizing HOW to free TCG, and that doing so would end the stupid cycle of chainings and his poisoning Burn/interference in the world (plus the whole Forkrul Assail business with his heart may have been a motivator).

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Caladan Brood's album is pretty groovy if you like your metal black http://caladanbrood.bandcamp.com/

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

:tviv: Baudin is back! You guys weren't kidding about death being pretty impermanent in this series.

Dalmuti posted:

Caladan Brood's album is pretty groovy if you like your metal black http://caladanbrood.bandcamp.com/

Also this is pretty hilarious. I love black metal!

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Only a third of TCG to go and I'm done with my first read of the series and can finally look at all the spoilered text in this thread. Can't wait.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Only a third of TCG to go and I'm done with my first read of the series and can finally look at all the spoilered text in this thread. Can't wait.

We've just been loving with you, under every single one is just DICKS DICKS DICKS DICKS DICKS

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

The synth is really cheesy but otherwise this is decent. Has a little bit of Windir in it. I'm pretty ashamed to be listening to it, though.

I feel like there are much cooler band names available in these books, though. As if you wouldn't call your metal band Bonecaster.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 16, 2013

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
you don't think a bunch of imass would stand around listening to cheesy synths all day? i bet they would

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I feel like there are much cooler band names available in these books, though. As if you wouldn't call your metal band Bonecaster.

The Bladed Raptors. 70's heavy metal.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Sweetest Sufferance and the One Eye Cats would be a pretty sweet jam band

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I do like that the members of the band go by Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I like it. I never thought the K'Chainne Che'Malle were this huge though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

savinhill posted:

I like it. I never thought the K'Chainne Che'Malle were this huge though.

That's not a KCCM, that's a god drat Ultralisk.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's cool but it's...weird. As mentioned, that thing looks way too big to be a K'Chain (unless it's a Matron, but then there're other issues), but what I presume to be T'lan Imass rising out of the ground look too lithe and unsquat, and too improperly armed and armored.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think it's a given that the artist may have read MoI, but certainly not the whole series.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I thought the figures in the picture were Whiteface Barghast up until Habibi said they were Imass, and I took a second look at it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

pakman posted:

I thought the figures in the picture were Whiteface Barghast up until Habibi said they were Imass, and I took a second look at it.

And the funny thing is I agree - they look not at all unlike how I pictured Barghast, except maybe a tad larger, except they seem to be taking form out of the dust/ground.

E: also decaying flesh and stuff, and the farther one seems like it might be wearing an animal skill on its head. So not entirely wrong, that is, it's no Darrell Sweet piece.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 16, 2013

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

TCG spoiler:

Speaking of Whiteface Barghast, I was really wishing that in TCG, when you learn that the Barghast created the turtleshell armor to be able to take on the Forkrul Assail and they painted their faces white to mimick the Assail, that we would get to see Warchief Spax fight a Pure and win, but instead there was no way they were going to win an uphill battle, and retreated. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, it would have been a fun parallel to the Awl having developed their weapons and fighting styles entirely to fight K'Chain Che'malle as well. Also, Spax owns and I wish he'd gotten more screen time.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Half way through the first book and drat you really have to pay attention when reading this stuff. I don't hate it though, most of the characters seem pretty awesome even though I don't know what's happening half the time.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just finished book 3, and enjoy it so I will continue. But does it ever get less... I cant really think of a good word. Everyone seeing the deepest darkest depths of a persons suffering everytime the look at someone and feeling it themselves. Its like every other line at least in the first 3 books.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Just finished book 3, and enjoy it so I will continue. But does it ever get less... I cant really think of a good word. Everyone seeing the deepest darkest depths of a persons suffering everytime the look at someone and feeling it themselves. Its like every other line at least in the first 3 books.

Naw its pretty much like that the whole way through. But awesome poo poo happens in every book too

MoosinRound
Sep 5, 2011
Caladan Brood have taken what a band called Summoning did with Tolkien poetry and put it to the malazan world. Summoning is my favorite band so im happy for Caladan Brood.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Regarding Tavore

I always took it that both she and Ganoes were members of the Talon. There's the scene in TCG where she wears the talon necklace on the outside as well as the whole setting the Talon dude up with Feilsin to look over her in the mines. Then with Ganoes theres a comment also in TCG where Quick Ben asks him what he is and he replies something about just being a child of the Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aargh posted:

Regarding Tavore

I always took it that both she and Ganoes were members of the Talon. There's the scene in TCG where she wears the talon necklace on the outside as well as the whole setting the Talon dude up with Feilsin to look over her in the mines. Then with Ganoes theres a comment also in TCG where Quick Ben asks him what he is and he replies something about just being a child of the Emperor.

That strikes me as a huge stretch. The comment by Ganoes could mean a number of things, and with no reference to it throughout the rest of his (not insubstantial) POV, I think it's a huge assumption to make. Tavore...maybe. She could have been wearing the necklace for other reasons (commemoration, eg), but it's clear she had at least some connection to the organization, and we don't have a POV to confirm or deny or even comment, so it's possible. But I think the biggest strike against both of them is that if they are/were Talon, they sure as hell were some lovely Talon. Ganoes had never even had to draw his sword until like MoI, and Tavore, while capable, was certainly nothing special that would put anyone in mind of a ninja assassin society. Interestingly, now that I've written all this, I feel like I've previously read speculation that Tavore may have actually been the head of the Talon? No clue where that's surfacing from...