Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mr. Despair posted:

Their search sucks basically. It's much quicker to just pick the category and go from there, (for example, to find canon fd lenses click 35mm -> canon manual focus -> fixed focal length lenses (or whatever type of lens you're looking for, zoom, etc). The categories are split up enough that there's almost never more than a few pages of results.

Basically this. You can also do Advanced Search. You'll have two drop downs. In the left one, find "--- 35mm ---" then "Canon Manual Focus" and on the right drop down find "--- Lenses ---".

Fixed Focal Length and Zoom Lenses cover Canon-branded primes and zooms. The "Non-mfg" categories are for 3rd party primes and zooms.

I'm much quicker using the Adv. Search function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have a D3100 with a cheap 55-200 I picked up used and have been having a ball shooting local city birds but more often than not I feel like I'd be happier with just a touch more reach (slippery slope, I know). I've been eyeballing the 55-300 and the 70-300. As far as the Nikkor brand is concerned is the drop off in picture quality really that bad in the 55-300 compared to the 70-300? I mean if I have to pony up for the latter I will but if it's insignificant I'd rather save the money.

Also, should I be considering off brand?

I've spent two days reading internet reviews but after the millionth momtographer comment of "GREAT LENS WOULD BUY AGAIN ++++++" I don't think I have a grasp on the picture quality difference.

Edit: Trust me, I'd love to go full frame and 400mm+ at some point but I basically walk around city parks and local lakes for pictures. And I'm not opposed to buying used or refurb'ed

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 11, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have a D3100 with a cheap 55-200 I picked up used and have been having a ball shooting local city birds but more often than not I feel like I'd be happier with just a touch more reach (slippery slope, I know). I've been eyeballing the 55-300 and the 70-300. As far as the Nikkor brand is concerned is the drop off in picture quality really that bad in the 55-300 compared to the 70-300? I mean if I have to pony up for the latter I will but if it's insignificant I'd rather save the money.

Also, should I be considering off brand?

I've spent two days reading internet reviews but after the millionth momtographer comment of "GREAT LENS WOULD BUY AGAIN ++++++" I don't think I have a grasp on the picture quality difference.

Edit: Trust me, I'd love to go full frame and 400mm+ at some point but I basically walk around city parks and local lakes for pictures. And I'm not opposed to buying used or refurb'ed

Get a Tamron 70-300 VC, it's got optics as good as the nikon 70-300 VR, for the cost of the 55-300 (cheaper after rebate, and under 300 used even buying from amazon), with better VR than either.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

e. It is the Pentax ME Super of relatively cheap long lenses.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 11, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a Tamron 70-300 VC
Basically this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

http://dx.com/p/flucard-sd-memory-card-w-wi-fi-for-camera-white-4gb-162942

That's the 4GB version for $44. The 16GB is only a little over $100... I might get one with my next dx shop, but for me it isn't so much of a problem to swap SD cards out.
Finally a use for my camera's second card slot! With an adapter I could put that in and dump small jpegs to pick up from my phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a Tamron 70-300 VC

evil_bunnY posted:

Basically this.

Many thanks. :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evil_bunnY posted:

Finally a use for my camera's second card slot! With an adapter I could put that in and dump small jpegs to pick up from my phone.

That's clever!

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Why does it seem like there is no interchangability on the quick release plates for consumer (dslr sized) heads?

I am looking for a fluid video head and a monopod with a matching head so that I don't have to switch out my plates. Is there a brand that has a consistent plate size or is there possibly a way to swap out the mounts for the plates?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bobx66 posted:

Why does it seem like there is no interchangability on the quick release plates for consumer (dslr sized) heads?

I am looking for a fluid video head and a monopod with a matching head so that I don't have to switch out my plates. Is there a brand that has a consistent plate size or is there possibly a way to swap out the mounts for the plates?

Buy arca swiss style plates and heads.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Arca swiss is particularly common on fluid heads. You may need to make an adapter if you go that way. There are definitely tripods that'll take different clamps, but, again, that seems to be less common with video fluid heads.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a Tamron 70-300 VC, it's got optics as good as the nikon 70-300 VR, for the cost of the 55-300 (cheaper after rebate, and under 300 used even buying from amazon), with better VR than either.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

e. It is the Pentax ME Super of relatively cheap long lenses.

evil_bunnY posted:

Basically this.

Picked up a new one this morning.

Holy. poo poo. This VC is good. I can actually see it working through the viewfinder. Also, it's hilariously huge and heavy. Can't wait to to get started. :D

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

powderific posted:

I don't think Arca swiss is particularly common on fluid heads. You may need to make an adapter if you go that way. There are definitely tripods that'll take different clamps, but, again, that seems to be less common with video fluid heads.

Man they really get the most out of the pricing of these clamps. $150 to not have to change my plates, wow.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bobx66 posted:

Man they really get the most out of the pricing of these clamps. $150 to not have to change my plates, wow.

You can buy cheaper clamps. I paid $30 from Amazon for the one on my monopod. I do recommend better plates that are fitted to your camera like Acratech branded ones. Universal plates are shameful.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone tried this strap before? http://joby.com/camera-straps/3-way-camera-strap/

Looks cool to me but I'm concerned about the bulkiness of the attaching piece. I'm looking for a strap or case or something for my X100.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rio posted:

Has anyone tried this strap before? http://joby.com/camera-straps/3-way-camera-strap/

Looks cool to me but I'm concerned about the bulkiness of the attaching piece. I'm looking for a strap or case or something for my X100.

I use an Op/Tech neoprene wrist strap with my NEX. It's great because it gives me a safety net but at the same time it's compact and hassle-free compared to a regular strap. If I have to do something that requires both hands I can just let go of the camera and have it dangle from my wrist. The downside is that it doesn't look very good but if you're wearing a jacket or something, the sleeve covers the strap. Maybe something like the Gordy strap would be up your alley.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have heard great things about Gordy's, and they are definitely thin enough that I could double it up as a neck strap to use it as a wrist strap. This one just looked intriguing since it is essentially like an Inspector Gadget camera strap.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bobx66 posted:

No‐name clamps as found on eBay and Amazon Marketplace work just fine. I picked one up to put on a macro focusing rail for $25 last week.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

No‐name clamps as found on eBay and Amazon Marketplace work just fine. I picked one up to put on a macro focusing rail for $25 last week.

I know arca swiss is ruled out but I bought a no name mounts for my 50D and 70-200 and have no issues what so ever.

nop
Mar 31, 2010
OK, this is going to sound stupid but are there decent manual focus lenses for a D5100? Or conversely AF lenses that aren't don't have loose rings?

I'd love to get a prime in the 20-35mm range for under $300, but it looks like the only way I can do that is by chipping an AI/AIs or buying a D7000...

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
The Nikon 35 1.8 DX for $200?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

nop posted:

OK, this is going to sound stupid but are there decent manual focus lenses for a D5100? Or conversely AF lenses that aren't don't have loose rings?

I'd love to get a prime in the 20-35mm range for under $300, but it looks like the only way I can do that is by chipping an AI/AIs or buying a D7000...

I have a Sigma 24mm 2.8 AF with a pretty decent focus ring, it's not as smooth as a good AI-S lens but it's less sticky than all my non-AI lenses or Nikon 50/1.8 AF-D. I think it was under $200 on keh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

nop posted:

You can still use AI/AIs lenses on your d5100, you're just going to have to guess at the metering a bit.

The 35/1.8g fits in your price range real well though, is there some reason you want manual focus specifically?

nop
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

You can still use AI/AIs lenses on your d5100, you're just going to have to guess at the metering a bit.

The 35/1.8g fits in your price range real well though, is there some reason you want manual focus specifically?

My experience is that AF was slow in low light (where I'm usually taking pictures) and I generally found it annoying. Maybe I'll see if I can borrow a kit lens and try it again.

I was initially planning on avoiding the DX/G lenses as I would like to move to film at some point, but for $200 it may be worth trying the 35/1.8g and avoiding the hassle for now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 35 1.8 will focus better in low light thanks to its faster aperture. And the manual focusing ring is pretty good. It's probably the easiest way to go unless you plan on moving over to film in the very near future, and, even if you do, the 35 1.8 is a desirable enough lens that it won't be hard to offload on the used market.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
It works ok on the more electrified film bodies too. This is pretty much the worst case, infinity focus and a narrow aperture.

approximate DX frame by patnumber8, on Flickr

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
Hell, it works on digital FX bodies. I've been using it on a D600 when I don't want to carry around a huge zoom and in a pinch I like it more than the 35mm F2.

http://www.nikonschool.it/experience/nikkor35mm-7.php

Basically for indoor shooting at large apertures, which is mostly what I do with a fast 35mm, it will give amazingly sharp results with a bit of vignette. Infinity focus or stopped down it will just plain give black corners.

Just keep in mind that DSLR viewfinders generally only give accurate focus up to around F2.8. Any larger apertures (f1.8, 1.4, etc.) and you won't be able to see the exact field of focus. Another option you could look at would be the Nikon 35mm F2. It's got a slightly better focus ring than the 35mm F1.8 and if you ever upgrade bodies (either one with a built in motor or full frame) it'll be fully compatible.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Getting tax return. I should be using it to pay off bills blah blah blah I'm weak willed. What should I be resisting buying?

I have a t3i with Tamron 17-50mm lens, canon 100mm macro, 50mm, 40mm, crappy telezoom and the kit lens. I'm considering a new body since I want something with better AF and low light shooting. My budget is around the $1000 range though I'm willing to go a bit higher. I kind of want a mirrorless but since they're relatively new I might just wait a few generations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

hcenvirons posted:

Getting tax return. I should be using it to pay off bills blah blah blah I'm weak willed. What should I be resisting buying?

I have a t3i with Tamron 17-50mm lens, canon 100mm macro, 50mm, 40mm, crappy telezoom and the kit lens. I'm considering a new body since I want something with better AF and low light shooting. My budget is around the $1000 range though I'm willing to go a bit higher. I kind of want a mirrorless but since they're relatively new I might just wait a few generations.

I'd consider a sigma 8-16 or a speedlite and some grip gear, or maybe both.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

hcenvirons posted:

You could pickup a 50D, 60D, or 7D even for that budget if you are willing to go used.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/740768-REF/Canon_3814B056AA_EOS_7D_SLR_Digital.html

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I never knew dealextreme sold camera stuff. I just got a IR remote for $2 with free shipping :stare:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

I never knew dealextreme sold camera stuff. I just got a IR remote for $2 with free shipping :stare:

It's probably a death laser that will set your camera on fire the first time you point the remote at it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

It's probably a death laser that will set your camera on fire the first time you point the remote at it.

Still a huge bargain at $2.

Just don't point it at any planes or it's federal pound you in the rear end prison time.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

BANME.sh posted:

Their filters are a steal too. I got a whole bunch of stuff: macro tubes, CPL filter, blower bulb, lens brush, lens cloths and a camera bag from them. The IR remote was next on my list too- I take it it's the OEM nikon one, yeah? Let me know how it works.

If you're not a bokehphile they even have 500mm reflex mounted for nikon and canon at a song.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

BANME.sh posted:

Now be prepared to wait two months for that free shipping to happen.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is there anyone who's done a mod to keep zoom lenses from extending on their own when you're walking around? Specifically the Canon Ef-s 17-55?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The EF-S 17-55 is one of the most susceptible to zoom creep of all the lenses Canon makes. I can't say I'd had any issues with my other Canon lenses, and even when I had the 17-55 it never bugged me too much.

What sort of mod did you have in mind?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Is there anyone who's done a mod to keep zoom lenses from extending on their own when you're walking around? Specifically the Canon Ef-s 17-55?
I picked up a Lensband for one of my old one-touch manual-focus zooms that's very susceptible to zoom creep. It's a glorified rubber bracelet that's supposedly *just the right size* for whatever lens you specify when you order. I could have gotten shipping refunded if I'd reviewed it on my blog and linked that back to their site (I have like 4 readers, counting my girlfriend and my mom). But, :effort:

It works, when I bother to use it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

I picked up a Lensband for one of my old one-touch manual-focus zooms that's very susceptible to zoom creep. It's a glorified rubber bracelet that's supposedly *just the right size* for whatever lens you specify when you order. I could have gotten shipping refunded if I'd reviewed it on my blog and linked that back to their site (I have like 4 readers, counting my girlfriend and my mom). But, :effort:

It works, when I bother to use it.

Well I guess they have to do something with those surplus Livestrong bracelets now.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The EF-S 17-55 is one of the most susceptible to zoom creep of all the lenses Canon makes. I can't say I'd had any issues with my other Canon lenses, and even when I had the 17-55 it never bugged me too much.

What sort of mod did you have in mind?

Pretty much what ExecuDork linked to, some sort of retaining device to keep the lens from creeping. It's fine if I just hold it pointing down, but creeps when I walk with it. I'm planning on taking it hiking, and it would be a big annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My Tamron 70-300 came with a large lens hood that covers basically the entire lens body when reversed including zoom controls and the focus ring; I noticed this morning that if I grip the lens hood and push/pull it will zoom in/out. I've only done this a few times because I wanted to check here first to see if that was doing any damage to the lens or if it's OK to adjust the zoom that way.